Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > SOUTH CAROLINA > SC DOC - What You Need to Know
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

SC DOC - What You Need to Know Information relating to the South Carolina Department of Corrections. Q&A for those new to the system should be posted here.

Old 01-04-2005, 10:29 AM
Von's Mahogany

Default Post Conviction Relief (PCR)

Has anybody had anyone go before a judge for a sentence reduction? If so, can you give me any info about it? If not, can you give me a clue where to research it? Thanks for anything!!
With God, ALL things are posssible! Matthew 19:26

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2006, 07:59 PM

Default Setnecing reductions

If anyone has the information i would also like it. I have heard the inmates have to be there for 18 months before they can even try for a PPR (sentece reduction). But my soon to be husband hasn't been there at Perry long enought to get libiary privilages yet to check into it.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:06 PM

These are called "Post Conviction Relief" or more commonly PCR's for short. In SC, these must be filed within one year from sentencing. Please note that theoritically (sp?) one can get MORE time.....because the case is being re-reviewed. The attorney I consulted with said he had never seen it happen, but that in theory it could. He was willing to try for $7,500. In order to file one, you have to claim *something* was wrong -- such as inadequate representation - that sort of thing.

Sometimes you see these filed after a person has received the death penalty and a PCR gets the case looked at again and the person may be converted to a life sentence.

One guy in SC went up for parole here a couple of weeks ago that had been on death row at one time. That in itself is amazing to me - the fact that the guy *had a chance* at parole when he had at one time been on death row. (He didn't make it - but still).

I would never, ever in a million years forgive myself if I caused my son-in-law to get more time, so we passed on that possibility.

Last edited by barky586; 06-20-2006 at 09:11 PM..
Old 06-20-2006, 09:23 PM

I think a PCR follows an appeal.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:41 AM

My boyfriend and I are going through the PCR motion right now. Actually he won the PCR but we have to wait for the solicitor's office to appeal it and get the outcome from that. It has been since November 11, 2005. We got the information the PCR was won in January but now we are just waiting. I hope he will be home sometime before Christmas. He was sentenced to 20 years but was really falsely accused and he had a public offender that did not really fight for him so he appealed on those grounds. Hopefully though we will be hearing something really soon.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:06 PM

Question

Dear Hawksgirl:
Just curious to know if your loved one had made his PCR ? I am in the process of doing the same with my husband. We have not gotten a date yet, actually, the lawyer is waiting for my husbands case review and the States transcripts, so we are just beginning but as I read your thread, I was interested because it sounded similar to our case. My husband was sentenced at 10/85 on his first offense but his lawyer did not fight for him in court, he told him just to take the plea bargain which is no bargain at all! Anyhow, I pray that everything is working or has worked out in your favor! May God Bless you and yours!

Arctic's Rose
Old 10-25-2006, 07:56 AM

http://www.postconvictionassociates.com/index.htm

Check these people out, they are very good on these matters, and give me as a reference, or my son. K Gregory. Thanks.

Susan