Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > SOUTH CAROLINA > South Carolina General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

South Carolina General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in SC that do not fit into any other SC subforum.

Old 08-09-2004, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toni57
my son is in j. reuben long ,,conway,s.c.he hasnt had a visit in over close to 2 yrs,because l live in ny,he hasnt even been endited yet,l dont understand how they can keep him there that long and havent had him in court yet.anyone know,let me know ,thanks
Is J. Reuben a jail, or prison? If he hasn't been to court and been in jail 2 years....something is very wrong. Who have you spoken to about this? Does he get to write or call home? Just wondering.
Carolina Mom
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2004, 07:50 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Mom
Is J. Reuben a jail, or prison? If he hasn't been to court and been in jail 2 years....something is very wrong. Who have you spoken to about this? Does he get to write or call home? Just wondering.
Carolina Mom
reuben is a county jail.he has a well paid
lawyer.but the DA that wants to do his case has been suspened for a yr. and they were waiting for him to come back (l guess).my son put in for a speedy trial and never heard anything about it.he feels his rights have been vilated,and so do l.he writes me and calls,which my phone bills have been high like $3-400.00 a month.l cant afford this anymore with trying to support his 2 daughters.the whole case is a he said she said case.and it is a serious charge.
Old 02-15-2005, 06:16 PM

Here is my story from J Reuben Long. I just got out today it took them there max time just to serve me a warrant:

I was the passenger in a vehichle stopped at a checkpoint on the evening of 02/12/05. A search was conducted because the driver was arrested for minor possession of alcohol and a cigarette pack was found in the car that supposedly contained 0.7 grams of cocaine. Also $930 was seized from my wallet though I had paystubs. After being booked and in jail on the second night I became sick with the flu. I requested medical care and was brought a sheet to fill out by the correctional officer, but he refused to supply a pencil to do so. I was told to wait until I was transferred out of that pod and to get a pencil then. Around 5 hours later after being transferred I requested a pencil again from the 2 correctional officers on duty. I was again refused use of a pencil. That night around 12:00 in my cell me and another cellmate were assaulted. We attempted to get an officers attention with no response and just made the attack worse and my shoes were taken because they were "nice". 2 hours later an officer walked by the cell and I began beating on the door and jumped to the window. I was finally given attention. Assault charges were filed and pictures taken.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toni57
"my son is in j. reuben long ,,conway,s.c.he hasn’t had a visit in over close to 2 yrs,because l live in ny,he hasnt even been endited yet,l dont understand how they can keep him there that long and havent had him in court yet.anyone know,let me know ,thanks"
WELCOME HOME MR. LONG! An answer (of sorts) to the above question: Ok it works like this in South Carolina 1. You get arrested 2. The arresting officer has 5 days to submit paperwork to the court clerk 3. The court clerk has 15 days to get said paperwork to the District Attorney's desk. 4. Ok now we get insane 5. THERE IS NO TIME LAW AS TO HOW LONG THE PAPERWORK SITS IN THE DA'S BASKET BEFORE IT IS ASSIGNED TO A PROSECUTOR. Ok now 6. Once the case has been assigned to a prosecutor the clock of speedy trial starts ticking: if the defendant is locked up, 120 days to try him fry him or let him go. If the defendant is out on the street it is 180 days. I know that here in Lexington county the Public Defender is telling his clients look for at least one YEAR before your case comes up. that is of course unless you plead guilty, if that's the case your case will go a lot quicker. Also what the law reads is 120 days or as expeditiously as case load allows. As I was reading on this subject I also ran across in house procedure that stated that cases that have not fallen within the appropriate time lines did NOT have to be justified. In other words cases sitting for insane amounts of time? oh well the court is NOT required to explain why.

Last edited by maxsmum; 02-17-2005 at 05:34 AM.. Reason: clicked wrong button!