Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > SOUTH CAROLINA > South Carolina Prison Profiles > South Carolina - Level III Prisons
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

South Carolina - Level III Prisons Broad River CI, McCormick CI, Perry CI, Graham (Camille Griffin) CI, Kirkland Reception and Evaluation Center, Leath CI, Lieber CI

Old 04-28-2004, 12:27 AM
I'm new here so be gentle

Default Kirkland Reception and Evaluation (R & E)

My Dad just got tranferred from Cherokee County to Kirkland R&E in Columbia today. I haven't got to speak to him yet, But I found this great site ( thanks everybody) And it seems that Kirkland is a hard place, and really strict and rough for the inmates there holding there for evaluations. Does anyone know how long it takes to get transferred from there?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2004, 07:18 AM
Donation Award 

Default Kirkland R&E

Kirkland Reception and Evaluation Center (Reception and Evaluation Center; Level 3)
Bernard McKie, Warden
4344 Broad River Road
Columbia, SC 29210
803-896-1521 or 803-896-8572

Web page:

http://www.doc.sc.gov/InstitutionPages/Kirkland.htm
The Following User Says Thank You to Kahlan For This Useful Post:
ANNAMARIA (05-03-2008)
Old 09-25-2004, 08:48 AM

Default Visiting

I visit my family member at Kirkland in Columbia.

Usually I have no problems with getting thru the lines(it is important to make sure you have been approved and anyone else with you). Also, when you go in make sure you only carry your ID, and only $10.00 per each visitor that is allowed. I always try to dress in shoes easy to slip out of, because you must take them off, and take any metal(jewelry, belts) before you go thru the metal detector. Sometimes the wait to get in can be long if you get behind someone who keeps beeping the metal detector. I may have been delayed for 30-45 minutes of my visitation time once or twice, but overall I think that they do a good job on getting you through.
Now, that being said, if you ask me about trying to deal with administration and legislators, and the governor..yes.. you might be wanting to tear your hair out.

Last edited by Kahlan; 03-19-2005 at 11:12 PM..
Old 09-30-2004, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCLady
My husband Jerry is located in Aiken, South Carolina at the Lower Savannah Pre Release Center.
My brother is at Kirkland (two weeks) .....can anyone tell me about Kirkland or Broad River? He is in for sex offenses with minors. Will he live through jail? I've heard inmates are rough on guys like this. I really want the truth so anyone with knowledge of kirkland and my specific concerns please reply.
Thanks.
He got 5 years...plea deal.....so if he stays out of trouble will he get 18 months?
Our family is distraught ....never saw it coming.
Old 09-30-2004, 11:22 AM

Default Not sure about your questions

Zellie,
I don't know a lot about some of your questions, but I do know that Kirkland is a reception and evaluation center and he very well may be transferred someowhere else in the future. Kirkland is high security but is not (I think) a sex offender sight. You might want to check out the sex offender forum ..maybe someone there can help.

Hope all goes well
Old 09-30-2004, 12:14 PM
Donation Award 

Zellie,
He will be in Kirkland for about a month and will be moved to another prison after that. Conditions at Kirkland are rough. At least he will be there during a cooler month - there is no AC. He needs to keep to himself and not start any trouble and he should be ok. There are many sex offenders in prison with my fiance - more than you would imagine. No one bothers them and most of the guys don't know what they are in for. It's just not talked about. A common reply to the question when it is asked is drug charges or bad checks no matter what the true offense may be. They usually fall in with a group of friends and they look after each other. Send him lots of mail. He needs your support and the support of his family and friends to get through this.
Old 09-30-2004, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahlan
Zellie,
He will be in Kirkland for about a month and will be moved to another prison after that. Conditions at Kirkland are rough. At least he will be there during a cooler month - there is no AC. He needs to keep to himself and not start any trouble and he should be ok. There are many sex offenders in prison with my fiance - more than you would imagine. No one bothers them and most of the guys don't know what they are in for. It's just not talked about. A common reply to the question when it is asked is drug charges or bad checks no matter what the true offense may be. They usually fall in with a group of friends and they look after each other. Send him lots of mail. He needs your support and the support of his family and friends to get through this.
Thanks for the informatiion....I still want to know more from anyone who has a loved one at Kirkland or at Broad River(wher he may end up). Specifically about visitation
and what that is like and about prison routines. No letters yet....one phone call came
in. I had read that SO designation was spread around by prisoners whenever a
newbie comes in. Glad if that might not be true.
Please .....anyone.....give me information.'
Old 09-30-2004, 09:41 PM
Donation Award 

You never know where they will end up. My guy thought he was going to Tyger River but ended up at Allendale. They put them where they have beds available. You won't be able to visit at Kirkland unless he has been there for over a month. Get all your visitation paperwork in as soon as possible because it can take up to 8 weeks to get approved to visit. The paper work has to be sent to you by your brother.
Old 10-08-2004, 04:22 PM

Default kirkland

My son was in Kirkland and hated it,then he was sent to Lie Ber,I think thats how it spelled.Now year later he is stting in Lex County waiting for a trial that should have been over.Does anyone know about Lexington County?
Old 10-10-2004, 09:51 PM

Hello, my brother is in kirkland doing an 18 month sentence. What does it mean when they are doing straight time? Is that the whole sentence and they have to fulfill that obligation? He took the fall for someone else, never been in trouble in a day of his life. The courts definitely wanted the other guy, but my brother didnt turn him up. Thinking that a person without a previous conviction, hard working father would possibly get atleast house arrest or probation. The lawyer cost $4000.00 and sucked. He should have gotten a court appointed attorney for the deal that he got.
Old 12-01-2004, 05:34 PM

Default Meals at Kirkland R&E

My 27-year-old son is currently at Kirkland R&E. His first letter to me was from J. Reuben Long detention facility. He said they get fed but not enough and that he is hungry all of the time. I have many concerns, but I am still in the shock stage, just kind of numb. I don't have a lot of money to send him and then I read about the DNA testing and taking money out of the inmate's account for stamps, etc. for indigent inmates. Is there any forum, etc., where I can find answers to general questions about inmate treatment, i.e., food, showers, clothing, etc? I have to start somewhere and of course basics, regardless of a child's age, is very important to any mother.
Old 12-01-2004, 05:50 PM
I Love Me Some Him

Have you been to their website? I will post the link, but other than him sending you the info, or you calling SCDC (contact listing on website), I do not know of any other way. There is a forum leader, Kahlan, and she is great...she may know more.

http://www.state.sc.us/scdc/

He Says
Attitude is Everything!

Old 12-02-2004, 08:29 AM
Donation Award 

Thanks, Coolchick!
Bsteph - Kirkland is something that he's going to have to get through. Conditions are not good there, but it only lasts about a month. At least he's there during a cool month - (there is no A.C.). He will lose weight and basically have to work with their schedule. Housing is overcrowded. They put three men in a one man cell. Many inmates have to sleep on the floor. They are locked down all day and can leave only to go to the chow hall for breakfast at 5:00 am, lunch at 10:00am, and dinner at 4:30pm. They are given a a fifteen minute shower on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. They are given a basic care package which includes 2 bars of soap, two four-ounce bottles of body wash and shampoo and four envelopes with paper. This has to last for 30 days. R&E is non-smoking. After he is moved, conditions should get better. Canteen money helps - even a small amount. Many inmates combine food items to make soup etc. and share with each other. I'm not sending much money because they are taking 10% a month out for DNA testing. This is being discussed in the media and the legislature. I'm hoping that they will find another source of funding and will stop drafting inmate accounts. All of these extra charges (especially expensive phone calls) are hard on families that are already financially and emotionally strapped. If he can get a job in the next prison, that will help both of you. It will break up his day and give him a little spending money. There is a forum on PTO for Parents with Children in Prison. Read the posts there and introduce yourself. This is a difficult time for all of us. Please know that we are here for you and understand what you are going through. This is a great site. I don't know how I would be getting along without it.
Old 12-02-2004, 03:01 PM

Smile Thank you

Thank you so much for replying. It is a comfort to know there is a support site with such wonderful people. Any information is reassuring. I have learned so much from this site already. I am in Michigan so I feel very lost with my son's situation at this point. I feel the most important thing right now is to just get as much information as I can so I can process and accept what is happening. I know he is responsible for his choices but as a mother I will never abandon him and the best way to do that is to have the power of knowledge.
Old 12-03-2004, 07:07 AM
Donation Award 

bsteph - I know you must be feeling lost being so far away from your son. I think that sometimes the guys don't tell us everything that's happening because they don't want us to worry. I find that not knowing causes me to worry more. I'm like you, I have to know everything. That way, I can deal with it and if I need to do something to help, I have a place to start. Hang in there. Send lots of mail. He needs to know that you are there for him and we will be here for you. Take Care.
Old 12-12-2004, 05:58 PM
I miss my baby

Unhappy How do i find a unit where my BF is in?

Hi evryone,
My boyfriend has just been transferred to Kirkland, I haven't talked to him since he got there. I'm trying to figure out a way to send him a letter. But I know i need to know his living unit, that i cannot find anywhere... PLease, if u have the slightest idea let me know!!! Thanks
Old 12-12-2004, 07:38 PM
I Love Me Some Him

Here are some links and information that you may find helpful. This information is from kahlan, forum leader:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahlan
Kirkland is something that he's going to have to get through. Conditions are not good there, but it only lasts about a month. At least he's there during a cool month - (there is no A.C.). He will lose weight and basically have to work with their schedule. Housing is overcrowded. They put three men in a one man cell. Many inmates have to sleep on the floor. They are locked down all day and can leave only to go to the chow hall for breakfast at 5:00 am, lunch at 10:00am, and dinner at 4:30pm. They are given a a fifteen minute shower on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. They are given a basic care package which includes 2 bars of soap, two four-ounce bottles of body wash and shampoo and four envelopes with paper. This has to last for 30 days. R&E is non-smoking. After he is moved, conditions should get better. Canteen money helps - even a small amount. Many inmates combine food items to make soup etc. and share with each other. I'm not sending much money because they are taking 10% a month out for DNA testing. This is being discussed in the media and the legislature. I'm hoping that they will find another source of funding and will stop drafting inmate accounts. All of these extra charges (especially expensive phone calls) are hard on families that are already financially and emotionally strapped. If he can get a job in the next prison, that will help both of you. It will break up his day and give him a little spending money. There is a forum on PTO for Parents with Children in Prison. Read the posts there and introduce yourself. This is a difficult time for all of us. Please know that we are here for you and understand what you are going through. This is a great site. I don't know how I would be getting along without it.
http://www.state.sc.us/scdc/

He Says
Attitude is Everything!

Old 12-12-2004, 08:26 PM
I miss my baby

Default Kirkland SC

My man is at Kirkland SC
Old 12-13-2004, 06:54 AM
Donation Award 

You have to wait for him to send you a letter with his unit number. They usually won't give you this over the phone because some inmates don't want to receive mail.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:45 AM
waiting AGAIN!!!

MY SON IS IN SOUTH CAROLINA HES IN TUBERVILLE NOW BUT WHEN HE WAS IN KIRKLAND I NEVER HAD TO HAVE A UNIT NUMBER...GO TO DOC.STATE.SC.US AND SEE IF YOU CAN LOCATE HIM THERE.....GOOD LUCK

Old 12-13-2004, 10:58 PM
Donation Award 

When my guy was in Kirkland, I was able to send him one letter without the unit number. After that, I got the number in the mail from him. (He's written to me every day for almost 2 years.) I thought that might have changed, so I called Kirkland this morning and they said that because of overcrowding, they won't deliver mail without the unit number. I hope that you will hear from him soon!
Old 12-15-2004, 06:28 AM

Bsteph, I felt your pain as I read your post. Any time a child is locked up is horrible for a parent but I think that those first days are the worst. I remember those days with great pain. I do remember however, my son sharing some funny things that happened at R&E while he was there. They wet toilet paper and molded it into chess pieces then drew a board on the floor. He learned to play chess and actually met some guys that helped him through it.

I am new also so I'm going to try the parents forum. Good luck to you and your son. I will pray for you.
Old 12-15-2004, 07:17 AM
Donation Award 

I love that story, SCDC Mom! Your son sounds like a great guy!
Old 12-23-2004, 10:07 PM

Kirkland is hard. Steven lost 20 pounds while there, and he is a little guy and could ill afford to lose any! But he got though and is now fat! In my eyes as compared to other times.He slept on the floor as they have 3 to a 2 bunk cell. But that only last for a little while. Tyger River is pretty nice. He likes it there as much as a person can like prison. He stays busy. It really pisses me off that they take 10% of what I send him each month but what can I do... He is SC I am in VA and I am not going to have him do without. So they have us just where they want us!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahlan
I love that story, SCDC Mom! Your son sounds like a great guy!
Old 12-25-2004, 09:46 PM

I heard from my son this week. He is still in Kirkland R&E. He has one cellmate. He said he is gaining weight from the carbs (that is a good thing). He says he has learned to like new things such as cow and chicken liver and grits. It made me smile a little as he was a very picky eater and wouldn't try new things. He says he gets lots of biscuits. He also says the conditions are much better than when he was in the county jail (he will be going back there this week). He attends bible study three times a week. He is in good spirits. He says he realizes how self-centered he has always been and realizes family is the most important thing to him. I just feel bad that he had to go to prison to learn those things. I cannot change his situation or the consequences of his actions but I told him I will never abandon him. I told my other son today (Christmas) that at least I knew my son was not drunk or high in jail and there was some peace of mind knowing that. I pray a lot for Allen and I send letters. That is all that I can do for him but I feel that as long as he knows he is loved he will be okay in any situation.