Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida Prisons & Jails > Florida - Region 2 Facilities
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Florida - Region 2 Facilities Discussion and information for the following facilities:: Baker CI, Columbia CI, Columbia Annex, Cross City CI, FL State Prison, FL State Prison West, Hamilton CI, Hamilton Annex, Lake City CF, Lancaster CI, Lawtey CI, Lowell CI, Lowell Annex, Lowell Reception Center, Madison CI, Marion CI, Mayo Annex, Putnam CI, RMC-Main, RMC-W, Suwannee CI, Suwannee Annex, Tomoka CI, Union CI

Old 10-23-2004, 04:51 AM
Frenchy Member

Default Union Correctional Institution Q&A

7819 N.W. 228th Street
Raiford, Florida 32026-4000
(386) 431-2000
Suncom: 831-2000
FAX: (386) 431-2016
E-Mail: unionci@mail.dc.state.fl.us

Chaplain's Office
(386) 431-2000

Directions: From East: SR-16, 11 miles west of Starke on left. From North (Macclenny): SR-121 south approximately 17 miles to SR-16 (before town of Raiford). Turn left onto SR-16. Go approximately 2 miles. The Institution is on the right. From West (Lake City): SR-100 approximately 23 miles to SR-121 (Lake Butler), turn left. Go approximately 6 miles. Just outside town of Raiford turn right (east) onto SR-16. Go approximately 2 miles. The Institution is on the right.

Historical Information: This facility was established in 1913 as temporary stockades to house infirmed inmates who could not be leased to private businesses. At that time the institution, called the State Prison Farm housed approximately six hundred inmates, both male and female. In 1923, the system of leasing inmates was discontinued, and at the same time, the number of inmates at the State Prison Farm increased. In 1927, the license tag factory was built, and in 1928, the Main Housing Unit (the Rock) was constructed. Later, the mess hall, auditorium and library were added. By 1932, the inmate population numbered more than 2,000 men and women. In 1932, a laundry and shirt factory were erected and in 1935, a maximum security segregation building was constructed called the Flat Top. Death Row, including the electric chair, was also located in this building. In early 1954, an annex, which housed Death Row exclusively, was added. (It was later called the Band Room.)

The West Unit was constructed in 1935 to house female offenders. However, in 1954, Florida Correctional institution was opened, and the female inmates were transferred from the State Prison Farm to that facility. The West Unit was then converted to the reception and medical facility until 1968 when the Reception and Medical Center opened at Lake Butler. In 1955, the Old Administration Building was constructed, and in 1955, a maximum security facility was constructed on the Bradford County side of the property, and designated the "O" Unit. This building was named the East Unit. In 1958, construction of a "modern architecture" 1175 bed maximum security unit was constructed alongside the "O" Unit, which together, became the East Unit. In 1961, Death Row inmates and the electric chair were moved to the East Unit.

In July of 1972, the East Unit became a separate institution and was renamed Florida State Prison. The original Florida State Prison became Union Correctional Institution. In 1975, a "modern" new housing area, consisting of thirteen separate units, was constructed and designated the Southwest Unit. In 1985, the Southeast Unit was completed and "the Rock" was simultaneously closed by federal court order. In 1992, a new Death Row housing unit was built and inmates relocated from Florida State Prison. Currently Union C.I. houses adult male inmates.

Total Staff (on 8/04): 793

Type of Housing Units:

Open Bay Housing Units 0
Cell Housing Units 16
Room Housing Units 0
Total Capacity 1,549

Other Information:

Population Gender Male
Adult or Youthful Adult
Special Accommodations Elderly (50+)
Facility Level 7
Self Contained Housing Units Yes
Designated Confinement Space Yes
Custody Grades Maximum, Close, Medium, Minimum, Community
Medical Grades 1 through 4
Psychological Grades 1 through 5
Wheelchair Capabilities No
Hearing Impaired Capabilities Yes

Academic Programs:

Adult Basic Education
General Education Development
Mandatory Literacy Program

Vocational Programs:

None at this time.

Wellness Education Services:

Fresh Start Smoking Cessation
Wellness Education
Weight Training
Sports Leagues
Music/Band
Hobbycraft

Library Services:

Library Program
Major Law Collection

Substance Abuse Programs:

Alcoholics Anonymous
Narcotics Anonymous

Chaplaincy Services:

Active T.D. Jakes Satellite
Chapel Library Program
Kairos Week-ends
Religious Education
Way Home Bridge Builders
Worship Services
Faith and Character Dorm

Institutional Betterment Programs:

None at this time.

Other Ongoing Programs:

Pre-Release Counseling

P.R.I.D.E. Programs:

Dental Lab
Metal Products
Tag Plant

Community Work Squads:

Dept. of Transportation 0 Squads
Public Work Squads 0 Squads
Interagency Community
Service Work Squads No

Please post any additional information (or anything else that we should know!!):

Visitation Hours
Visiting Rules (not the ones listed in the 33s, but first hand knowledge rules, things they do and dont pick at, etc)
Visiting Hints (attire, what time you should get up there, is it crowded first thing in the AM, do you get a number? etc)
Visiting Procedures Do they use the old system by just taking your ID and giving you a slip, or are they using the computer hand check-in system?
Visiting Room (Does it have indoor and outdoor visiting rooms? Big/Sm?)
Lodging Nearby
Attached Images
File Type: gif 213.gif (26.9 KB, 58 views)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2004, 11:15 PM

Default rosibaker50

I stayed in Starke, FL as it was the closest to Union CI, as well as, Florida State Prison, and New River East and West. There were two (2) decent places in Starke that I've stayed at in the past. I liked Best Western the best but Days Inn was okay too. The Days Inn has an adjacent restaurant and Best Western has a continental breakfast and used to have a newspaper delivered to each room everyday!

Best Western Starke
1290 N. Temple Ave.
Starke, FL 32091-2116
Phone (904)964-6744
Fax (904)964-3855

Last edited by rosibaker50; 10-23-2004 at 11:31 PM.. Reason: to seperate info mon the two motels
Old 10-23-2004, 11:22 PM

Some how the info on Days Inn Starke got lost in my previous post. Here it is.

Days Inn Starke
1101 N. Temple Ave.
P.O. Box 1090
Starke, FL 32091-2114
Phone (904)964-7600
Old 10-24-2004, 07:05 AM

being in the UK can you tell me which is the nearest international airport to Railford and how far away it is as hopeing to visit in the spring.
Thanks
Skyblue
Old 10-24-2004, 07:38 AM
Frenchy Member

The closest international airport to Raiford is Orlando, 150 miles away.

The closest airport is Jacksonville, 45 miles away.

Phil
Old 10-25-2004, 01:44 AM

Default rosibaker50

Phil, you must be off today! lol The closest international airport is actually Jacksonville Intl. Airport about 45 mi from Starke/Raiford. The closest airport is Gainesville Regional Airport about 25 mi from Starke/Raiford.

Last edited by rosibaker50; 10-25-2004 at 01:46 AM.. Reason: misspelling
Old 12-12-2004, 02:53 AM

have been meaning to sit down and give a little info on UCI since i got back 11/30/04, just got busy Christmas shopping, etc. i arrived about 7:30 am each day i visited. there was already a line but it wasn't too long. i had to register as this was my first time to visit UCI (i had only visiited at New River East across the street before). the co's in the visiting center both inside and outside didn't bother anyone and were nice but reserved at the same time and were always there to unlock the restroom door. it has a canteen and the sandwiches bought there are alot better and much fresher than those out of the machines. the prices weren't too bad considering it is a prison! i also got a "special visit" as i requested (it was an additional day, the whole 6 hrs!) as i had traveled from Louisiana to Florida. all in all, it was a very nice and pleasant visit. if you need anymore info just pm me. hope this helps someone.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:13 AM

Rosi, I'm so glad you finally got to go! I know you were worried about getting transportation. I'm glad everything worked out.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:52 PM

[QUOTE
Please post any additional information (or anything else that we should know!!):

Visitation Hours
Visiting Rules (not the ones listed in the 33s, but first hand knowledge rules, things they do and dont pick at, etc)
Visiting Hints (attire, what time you should get up there, is it crowded first thing in the AM, do you get a number? etc)
Visiting Procedures Do they use the old system by just taking your ID and giving you a slip, or are they using the computer hand check-in system?
Visiting Room (Does it have indoor and outdoor visiting rooms? Big/Sm?)
Lodging Nearby
[/quote]
I just got back from UCI and here is some of the information which I picked up while I was there:

Visiting hours (I only know about death row ) are from 9am to 3pm. You need to get there early to register (about 7:30) and they usually start calling people in for the security check between 8:30 and 9am. There is this ritual of people arriving before 7 am and lining up in their cars in front of the prison.....they then register in the order that they arrived in their cars. Beware because a lot of the people doing this pay good attention to their place in the queue.

You receive a visitors number when you register for the first time and you then have to pin that in and leave an electronic handprint every time after that. A picture is also made of you on the first visit. You need an id which they hold on to after you have been searched and before they give you a visitors pass. Hand scan and pin need to be inserted also before you can exit the prison.

There is no visiting room as such. There is just a sort of covered area outside where most people wait before being called in in groups of five. There is a toilet inside the search area and if you need to use it a guard will open the gate for you to get in. Bring an umbrella if it is raining because there is no real area where you can stay dry and only a few places to sit outside. Once you are let in for the search there is a small visiting room but you are in there very briefly before being searched and allowed to go further through the metal detector.

Dress code was pretty strict. No open toed shoes rule was in force while I was there but most ladies still had sandals on. The most important thing is to wear shoes that are in some way closed at the back or strapped on. No under wire bras, no see through clothing and if there is a white shirt present, no really tight clothing. Always best to bring a change of clothes. Skirts have to have a petticoat underneath and if you have a top which shows your bra straps you have to change it. No thongs either ......... they sometimes check what kind of underwear you have on. Certainly no heavy jewelry though normal things were ok. They dont let you keep on any tattoos that can be removed nor can you have any sort of Band-Aid on.....they make you remove it.

In the visitors park it is pretty difficult to touch.......especially if the guards are walking up and down between the tables (you can hold hands).though on the last day I was there we managed a little more (like leg touching) because there were only two guards and they were pretty relaxed. You need to ask the guard to unlock it if you want to use the ladies room. Also the vending machine is ok but the canteen stuff is actually a little better. If you bring in 20$ notes the serial number will be taken in the search area and by the guy serving at the canteen.

At the end of the visit the guys always line up behind the darkened windows and wave. You cant actually see them, but it feels good to wave anyway when you are walking back to the entrance (my guy said in his letter that he was waving back though I didnt see him !!)

I stayed at the Best Western in Starke and I found it pretty comfortable. It is literally 15minutes away from UCI. A friend stayed at a place called Sleepy Hollow Motel just a little further and she found it fine and a little cheeper. The number for that hotel is 9049645006

Please feel free to pm me if you need anymore info on UCI. I didnt think it was as bad as I thought it would be. Still there are some people that have had bad experiences in getting in there. Hope this information will help

Last edited by butterflydazzel; 06-15-2005 at 04:56 PM..
Old 12-07-2005, 08:37 PM

I just wonder one thing here:

If you are on UCI and can have contact visit like this, why don't they have that on CM1? And on UCI they can watch TV, be in more educational programs, have access in another way to things than those on CM1, WHY?? Can someone explain to me why?

Read from page 17 on this pdf document, that's where I got my info from
http://hrw.org/reports/2003/usa1003/..._Complaint.pdf

Charlotte
Old 12-10-2005, 07:48 AM
Frenchy Member

Charlotte,

I'm not sure I quite understand what you mean. What do you mean by "being on UCI" ??? UCI is just another prison in Florida and stands for Union Correctional Institution, so you can not be "on UCI" as you are "on CM". These are 2 completely different things.

CM is a means of punishment for those who don't follow the rules, that's why they have no contact visits, except on CM3, limited phone calls etc etc...

Phil
Old 12-10-2005, 06:38 PM

Phil,

It's me being confused about the whole thing and my own interpretations. I know alot more now what is what so forget this question! :-)

Charlotte
Old 05-22-2006, 06:25 AM

Question Anyone with a Loved one at UCI in Raiford?

Hello to all. I was just wondering if there is anyone out there that has a loved one at Union Correctional in Raiford. I would like to find out a little more about it. Also are there any foreigners that travel there from Europe?

Thanks to all
Old 06-12-2006, 01:10 AM

you can check it out under the forum for where youre loved one is at, also look it up under the search on top.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:26 AM
He's Home in APRIL!!
Donation Award 

Question Can someone tell me about visiting at Union CI?

At Union I heard that visitation isn't too bad, but a couple of questions I have are can we hold hands when sitting and walking around? (Tomoka we could, Lake Butler we couldn't that's why I ask.)

How about taking taking pictures are there any walls with maybe a photo background or ais it just plain white walls (Again Tomoka lots of backgrounds, Lake Butler plain white wall).

I also heard that the officers don't really hover around...or should I say stay right on top of visitors? (Tomoka they do sometimes).

Anyway these are just a few questions if anyone could tell me anything else I may need to know it would help a bunch.

Oh I did hear that they write down all the serial numbers to all the money you bring in?

Anyway, any help would be appreciate it.

Thank very much in advance.

~SPIKESWIFE~

Old 02-18-2007, 08:50 PM

Hi Spikeswife,

My husband was at Union Cor. and it was very relaxed. You can hold hands and hug. I don't recall them writing down the serial numbers. But they don't hover over you. One of the things I most remember is there was a minature horse walking around and he came right up to us. It was really neat. Photo back grounds can't help you there. But all in all it was a better experience. Hope it goes well for you.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:48 PM
Hi everybody !

Guess my call for solidarity could be for you ???
Old 03-21-2008, 07:55 AM

Default 2008 Union CI

I was wondering if anyone had any information on Union CI? There is a faith-based dorm there and I am also wondering if anyone has information concerning that? I would be coming from Brevard (Melbourne) and although I have looked up directions it always helps to hear better routes to follow. Also when I look up the address for Union there are several facilitites all with the same address. How many prisons are actually there?Thak you so much.
Sweet Anne
Old 03-30-2008, 11:18 PM

there is rmc (reception medical center) and rmc west. they are seperate prisons. also close by is raiford but i'm not sure if that's actually in the county. fyi , there are more inmates in union county than people living there.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:02 PM
He's Home in APRIL!!
Donation Award 

Ok yes there are 3 prisons on that stretch of St Rd 16.

You will pass, well depending on what way you come, I always passed New River first on the right. Then you will pass FSP (Florida State Prison where they house the death chamber and one of the death rows)up a little further on the left, then right next door but in the next county of Union also on your left (again depending how you are coming from) is Union CI. Union CI use to be the old FSP. But now they are 2 seperate prisons, both house a death row but only FSP is where the death chamber is at. OK Yes, all 3 have the same mailing address you just make sure you put Union CI on the envelope and he will get it no problem.

Now RMC main unit and RMC west are over in Lake Butler still sorta in the same area, I traveled the same St Rd 16 to get to them except at one point I have to get on 100 to go to Butler. It's different and with a different address.

But like I said just make sure you place Union CI on it and he'll get it.

As for visitation. It's not too bad when we were there. You will have to wait for him to change out of his blues and he'll put white pants on and wear his white t-shirt out to visit. It's got some tables outside, it's pretty big inside it can get noisy. Oh and when you check in you have to fill out a paper that has your tag number on it so make sure ya know that cause I didn't and had to go back to my truck. I'm sure it's something I should have memorized but I don't. And you fill it out each time you go.

Same as most other places as far as all the rest of the rules. Officers don't bother you. If I can be of any further help just let me know.

Hope that helped.

Take care,

~SPIKESWIFE~
Old 04-12-2008, 09:28 PM

Default union ci

Thank you everyone for the replies. I never heard of any of those roads, lol. But thank you just the same. I do wish I could visit as I always have at other prisons,but now maybe its age, I just don't like to drive when I don't know where I am going. Anne
Old 09-14-2009, 01:41 PM
Daisypetal

Default Union Correctional Institution-Any loved ones with current infor to share here?

Hi there,

I have a pp on DR at Union Correctional Institution and I would like to know if anyone has information about this place, food, conditions, mail issues and sharing of news? Thanks a bunch..
Old 09-29-2009, 11:16 AM

Unhappy Union ci southwest unit d dorm

Anyone got loved ones in this neighborhood?
Getting ready for my first visit. Any pointers?
Have read about 3 deaths at Union in the last 2 months and havent heard from my cousin lately. Starting to get worried.
Anyone heard anything?

Thanks,

Redwhitenblugrl
Old 10-22-2009, 03:05 PM
Daisypetal

Default Information

Hi Red,

Find it strange that only you and I have loved ones in Union Correctional Facility. I am about 6 hours away from there and plan on visiting sometime this year. I would love to know what you have learned about the place and you experience with your visit so I can be more prepared. Can you bring food or anything from the outside with you?

Thanks so much,

Sherrie
Old 10-22-2009, 06:01 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 6,538 Times in 3,575 Posts

Daisypetal, I don't have any info on this facility, but I know you can't bring any outstide food to visits at any FLDOC prison. Some of the Work Release Centers allow that, but none of the prisons.

"To thine own self be true" - William Shakespeare

He's home!!!!