Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW YORK > NY DOC - What You Need to Know > New York Prison Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

New York Prison Phones, Packages & Mail Use this forum to discuss New York State prison Phones, Packages & Mail issues & topics. If you have a question about or want to discuss these issues in a specific facility, please visit that facility's subforum in the New York forum.

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2003, 09:25 AM

Default Prison Gap Sucks!

JUST WANTED TO LET ALL MY FELLOW NY PEOPLE TO KNOW NOT TO USE THIS BUS COMPANY. WE TOOK IT ON FRIDAY NIGHT UP TO AUBURNE/CAYUGA AND OUR BUS BROKE DOWN FOR OUR RETURN HOME. WE WAITED FOR AN HOUR TO FIND OUT THAT THE FUEL TANK WAS FROOZEN OVER. APPARENTLY THE DRIVER KNEW HE WAS NOT SUPPOSE TO TURN THE ENGINE OFF OR IT WOULD FREEZE. THE MOTEL HE WAS STAYING IN WOULD NOT LET HIM KEEP THE ENGINE RUNNING WHILE HE WAS IN HIS ROOM. THIS "INTELLIGENT" GUY TURNES IT OFF ANYWAYS AND COMES TO FIND IT WOULD NOT START AS EXPECTED. WE WERE ALL STRANDED. LUCKILY ONE OF THE VAN SERVICES CAME AND A CAR SO THEY WER ABLE TO TAKE 3 OF US BUT LORD KNOWS WHAT HAPPENED TO ALL THE OTHER PEOPLE WHO WERE THERE. I AM SO PISSED. THE ONLY THING THEY KNOW HOW TO DO RIGHT IS COLECT THE MONEY AS SOON AS YOU GET ON THE BUS. THE LAST TIME I WENT THE HEAT WAS NOT WORKING AND WE FROOZE DAMN NEAR TO DEATH. MY SON NEARLY HAD AN ASTMA ATTACK. THE OWNER IS DUE BACK AT AROUND 12 AND I HAVE A FEW CHOICE WORD. SO WORD TO THE WISE IF YOU WANT TO RIDE WITH HEAT AND MAKE IT BACK HOME FIND ANOTHER SOURCE OF TRAVEL!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2003, 09:27 AM

WHAT A PAIN IN THE A**! SO SORRY TO HEAR YOU HAD TO GO THROUGH THIS- HOPE SOME OTHERS WILL BENIFIT FROM YOUR HEADS UP-

margaret mead

ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE
Old 01-13-2003, 09:28 AM

damn that is f***ed up! thanks for postin it though yani...mean to say but glad you were one of the three wo didn't have to remain stranded!
Old 01-13-2003, 12:11 PM

Prison Gap is the worst. Johnny used to tell that if it was a choice between using Prison Gap or not visiting, that I shouldn't visit. And you know they would never give up a visit.

Old 01-13-2003, 12:28 PM

Yes Yes YES,

Prison Gap is the worst,money hungry people in the world.they charge me 50 dollars to go to gouverneur correctional facility and the bus has no damn heat.one time my bus started smoking not once but twice.this was around thanksgiving day.what a visit.no heat for the whole 8 hours and a bunch of cold crying babies.
i agree with you 100%.they either need to lower there prices or get new buses.there the worst i tell you.the man comes on the bus armani down or versace down, all tailored out and we cant get expensive rides.some parents bring 2 to 3 kids and besides the arguing about why someone is saving a empty seat for someone who is not even on the bus, the bathroom is stinking the whole 8 hours.eventhough the B----y a-- Lady who gets free rides who calls herself the coordinator makes the announcement "DO NOT SH-- IN THE BATHROOM".they still do it.Prison Gap Sucks For Sure.
Old 04-24-2003, 01:19 AM

Thumbs up

Operation Prison gap is a great bus service, Now some People say $50 is alot, But if you go on gray hound or amtrak you will pay double that and the cab fee to get to the prison, Now if the bus did not start then, Sometimes things happen, That does not mean that they are the worst bus service out there, Because if thats so why would they be doing this for over 25 to 26 years, They must be doing something right, Now in 25 years there must have been a few break downs and i know how that feels, when you are stuck and want to go home, But in this world things happen, Now if the company the rented the bus to prison gap would have put gas antifreeze in the gas tank then that would never happen, Now why would he leave the bus running for eight hours, That makes no sences what so ever then you would have blamed him for running out of gas, He had no wins with you at all, I know people that take prison gap every week and never has a problem, I am sorry for your ordeal But as they say things happen.
Old 06-01-2003, 08:16 PM

Do you know of another bus company that goes to RIVERVEIW
Old 06-05-2003, 04:05 PM

Lightbulb

Sorry about anyone who has had a bad experience with traveling to see their loved ones on a bus service but sometimes things do happen. With that in mind a new company named Time Travel Transportation will start providing service to most NYC correctional facility's over the next couple of months.

Old 06-09-2003, 07:42 AM
Keepin' it REAL

That sucks, to have such an experience like that! I've been riding these buses off & on for about 7 years. I've ridden with Prison Gap, Flamboyant, Grits....while I've got some horror stories too, there's one thing we need to keep in mind. These are MAN MADE machines and bottom line...sh#t happens. That's not to say I don't think these people should keep better maintenance with all the damn money they charge. But...there's gonna be breakdowns, there's gonna be flat tires, etc. YES, the bathroom STINKS. YES, you gotta deal with people who are b#tchy (starting w/the coordinator )and yeah, it's really uncomfortable to be cramped up on there for 6 hours. BUT....if you take Greyhound or Amtrak, you're going to pay DOUBLE the fare AND...you're NOT going to get dropped off at the front door, either. This is the part of the life we've chosen to deal with. Hugs to you {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
The Following User Says Thank You to lisac117 For This Useful Post:
O's Sweetheart (10-01-2010)
Old 06-09-2003, 09:45 PM
Registered Member

Oh wow! i am sorry to hear about that bus!! I guess i need to stop complaining about me driving 2 hrs to get to Gowanda, and be thankful that my car provides heat in the winter and a/c in the summer and never broke down (knock on wood!)

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...huntitled1.jpg
Old 06-09-2003, 10:50 PM

Default Bad bus service

I just posted a thread about how bad a trip I had going to Franklin this past weekend under the Visitation forum. I took F&M because I was fed up with bad service from Prison Gap (ie. confusion while boarding, small busses with no leg room, etc.). F&M was even worse. Our bus was consumed with urine fumes and the driver couldn't stay in his lane. On the way back a lady got left. I have been on a Prison Gap bus where we took a passenger home who they had left at the facility the day before. These companies lack professionalism and organization. The rides can be uncomfortable and unsafe and that is sickening because what choice do I have if I want to see my husband? Do any of you know another company that you like?
The Following User Says Thank You to FaithII For This Useful Post:
O's Sweetheart (10-01-2010)
Old 06-10-2003, 11:00 AM
Registered Member

Well i am not sure about any bus companys but isn't there a free bus that you can catch once a month provided that your husband gives the info to the prison ministries??? I drive but i once caught the free bus and it was just like a greyhound with tv's and all.
I feel bad for those of you that have to go through that $hit, i wouldn't mind giving rides if you guys were living here and going to Gowanda.I hate driving out there alone.

Old 06-10-2003, 12:12 PM

My son's father did give me a ticket for a free bus but it left at 1:00 am from 42nd street on 9 ave which is not a very safe place to be in the day let alone in the night I rather pay the $40 and be safe.
Old 06-10-2003, 01:02 PM
Registered Member

ohh I totally understand, I dont live in Ny but i know catching any bus at that time is not safe at all. I caught the free bus right from the greyhound station and it was at 5.00am so it was pretty safe from there.

Old 06-12-2003, 08:31 AM
Still friends ...

I recently moved out of state (Maryland) but before I left NY I took OPG at least once a month. I especially miss it when I make that drive, in the dead of night on deer infested I81. OPG is not perfection but then what is? Like I see others have said, Greyhound and other bus companies charge double and then you still have to taxi it to get to the facility. Thankfully, I've never experienced a problem with a bus breaking down although I have heard horror stories. I do think that if you ever experience an issue like a bus breaking down then the powers that be at OPG are sympathetic to that and they will do what they can if you choose to use them again. Like a free or discounted ride depending on the severity of the incident. Honestly, I admire the owner who after doing a bid of his own, pulled himself up by the bootstraps and started this company b/c he knew there was a demand for this type of service. And yeah, he's making crazy $ but this is America ... that's what this country was founded on ... capitalism.
Old 06-13-2003, 01:04 PM
20k posts one day..
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,046 Times in 681 Posts

Has anyone had a good experience with Prison Gap? Also, what is F&M and OPG? Do they have full names? Details on their services (ratings included) and what institutions they service would be helpful so everyone knows what they are looking at..
Thanks!
David

Are you having account or other issues at PTO? If so, use the...

Old 06-15-2003, 07:47 PM

David,

On NYIF, there's a whole page with info on the bus companies. Feel free to copy and paste any information.

Val

Old 06-16-2003, 06:18 AM

New Yorkers we can visit www.prisonhelp.com and it will provide you with quite a few diffrent bus companies with a list of the facilities it visits and the cost of travel. This site also sells many of the items aloud in the NY facilities. It's very helpful.
Old 06-16-2003, 01:38 PM
Still friends ...

I'm not sure what F&M is but OPG is the "official" or "old school" name for Operation Prison Gap.

I haven't had a "bad" experience with OPG, necessarily. I just think the whole thing, meeting the bus at 11pm, midnight, or 2am, then hoping you get on the right bus w/a "good" seat and everything else that goes along with it is nerve-racking in and of itself. And then if something should happen to go wrong on top of that (i.e. bus breaking down, sitting near the funky bathroom or behind an inconsiderate person who needs to put their seat all the way back on an 8+ hour ride that doesn't really make it any better. And then when you get there you have to deal w/all of the extra stuff that goes with being processed in ... it's just not the best of experiences but we do what we have to in order to see our loved ones, right? C'est la vie!
Old 06-26-2003, 10:59 PM

There are alot of people that want something for nothing, Buses break Down, Do you think that Gray Hound Buses don't break down But they Charge Double and you would still spend the money to Ride them. There was a point where there was NO BUS SERVICE to the prisons, If that was still the case what would you complain about then, There are good and bad and prison gap has been around longer than 25 years and they will be around alot longer, They are not the Greatest, But they are not the worst, If there is a Problem call Ray and he talks to everyone and he helps where he can, Try talking instead of trying to give the company a black eye.
Old 06-28-2003, 07:47 AM
first luv yourself

Quote:
Originally posted by Prisonbodega
There are alot of people that want something for nothing, Buses break Down, Do you think that Gray Hound Buses don't break down But they Charge Double and you would still spend the money to Ride them. There was a point where there was NO BUS SERVICE to the prisons, If that was still the case what would you complain about then, There are good and bad and prison gap has been around longer than 25 years and they will be around alot longer, They are not the Greatest, But they are not the worst, If there is a Problem call Ray and he talks to everyone and he helps where he can, Try talking instead of trying to give the company a black eye.
you have a point. but i've talked to ray and the buses are still the same. bus drivers making way toooo many stops so they can lite up a cigerate or drink a beer or 3 AND YES I'VE SEEN IT

favoritism when it comes to siting arrangements is a constant. i have witness on numerous occasions the coordinators allowing their friends to board the buses before their names are called. they go on the bus and put blankets bags and everything else in the front seats so the people who names are called before theirs cannot take them.

they are always over booking , if you know that there are only 40 seats why make reservations for 200 people

all ray cares about is collecting money and sporting his same ole tired 3 piece suit!

i only go to see bryan 2x out of the year because prison gap is the only company that i know of that goes to riverview.
i love bryan dearly but i dont love him enough to endure the horrific bus ride

God knows i wish that there was another alternative

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

Old 06-30-2003, 05:55 AM

Lets not forget about those long as heck SMILER'S stops where the bus just sits there forever for no reason. I too agree about the favoritism that is displayed. I don't feel that Prison Gap is very welcoming to new people. The first time I went they treated me as if I was crazy or something when I was trying to figure out what bus was going to my facility. Having said all this I will still use their service as I have no other options and I don't go that often so to suffer for one day won't kill me. I know alot of you might have been ofended when I began this thread but oh well because I'm sorry I too was very offended when I had to come home with a sick child from being on a freezing bus in the winter for 6 hours. I don't feel it's fair to take people's money and make them travel in this kind of conditions. We are not animals we are humans and even a dog should not be left to freeze in the winter. Yes we want to see our loved ones but we as customers deserve to be provided with a good service and fair conditions. Ray is not riding us for free we are paying so please don't act like he is doing us a favor and we should be glad to take whatever crap he gives us. Luckily for me I don't have to endure it too often.
Old 07-04-2003, 10:25 PM
Closed

i took prison gap up to auburn. the driver use to fall asleep. i had to sit in the front and be up 6 hrs straight to make sure he wouldnt go off the road while everyone else was sleeping. one time a huge fight broke out and food went flying all over. then another time the bus broke down and we were up at the holiday inn one night.
things happen. i experience it also on jeffs bus service. last thursday he had no ac and it was 98 degrees out we were dying.
Old 07-14-2003, 09:01 PM

hi yanigirl, i'm new to this forum, and i had a friend who used prison gap and the same thing happened to her. i've been posting and maybe you can help me. my fiance at great meadows in ny. do you happend to know of a bus/van service that goes up there during the weekday. thanks
Old 07-30-2003, 07:56 AM
Keepin' it REAL

I said it somewhere else and I'll say it again....UNITED BROTHERS IS DA BOMB!!! The guy's name is Corky, his # is 917-731-4286. They meet in Brooklyn, Queens and in the City. In the city, they meet on 33rd between 7th & 8th, right across from McDonalds. Right in front of that big store. Footaction I think it is. HOWEVER....any bus is going to break down from time to time. Corky don't play that 10 stops b.s. He'll make a couple and you'd better believe you got about 5 minutes to do what you gotta do! The thing I liked the most about United, was that it was QUIET, Corky tells you where to sit and the coordinators are NICE. Not snotty and nasty like some others I've come across. I CAN"T STAND that heffa on P.G. She's got a NASTY NASTY NASTY attitude!!! But like I said...United is the move. I don't mess with Flamboyant anymore. He went up too much on his prices and the service SUCKS. Hugs to all.
Closed Thread