Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk > GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions Please post topics or discussions here that do not fit in the appropriate state or federal forums.

Old 12-07-2004, 07:09 PM

From a lawyer friend

judge's decision was that anything docs decides to do is ok cuz there is no "liberty interest" implicated. so, if you are going to commence against DOCS, you gotta have different grounds for a claim *******************************
I just received two new complaints on ion scanner 1st - involves racial issues in where the cos were harrassing the victim having conversations in front of her saying things like " nigger lover etc. 2nd the woman was strip searched.....dont know if it was consented to or not yet .

If you need more info pm me!
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2004, 07:42 PM

Default From the Citizen, News Auburn NY

False positives

By Amaris Elliott-Engel / The Citizen The nights before Hannah went to visit her husband at the Auburn Correctional Facility, she wore rubber gloves to bed.

When she woke in the morning, Hannah would scrub her skin raw with a pumice stone. She dressed in the clothes she washed without soap and wore every time on visits. She carried a bag with her shoes which she cleaned with bleach. With the rubber gloves on her hands, Hannah would ignore the stares of fellow Centro bus riders until she got out at the prison, where she would put on her specially scrubbed footwear.

Hannah began her intricate cleansing routine before her visits to the prison after she tested positive for contact with cocaine four times in December and January. The New York Department of Correctional Services introduced a pilot program in November to screen prison visitors with handheld ion scanners that detect dangerous contraband.

Hannah, an Auburn resident who works as a cashier, agreed to be interviewed on the condition her real name not be used. She said she is not a drug user and found the four positive results inexplicable. She began her cleansing routine in an attempt to clear the surface of her body of any accidental contact with drugs.

"I wasn't going to let them win and not let me visit my husband," Hannah said.

The ion scanners are designed to detect up to 40 different microscopic particles discharged by contraband such as drugs and explosives that cling to or are absorbed on the surface of skin and clothing. An officer scans a visitor on three different locations of their body, and traces of particles are collected into a filter by a handheld vacuum. The exposed filter is placed into a scanning unit, and a detection result is then reported.

The machine does not report a quantity of drugs but whether or not a visitor has come into contact with a contraband substance.

The ion scanners are "reducing the flow of drugs and helping ensure that explosives don't enter correctional facilities," said Linda Foglia, assistant public relations officer for the Department of Correctional Services.

Hannah is not the only prison visitor to claim being the victim of a "false positive."

The New York Civil Liberties Union has been contacted by more than two dozen prison visitors who say they falsely tested positive for contact with drugs. NYCLU attorney Dawn Yuster noted that number did not include the visitors of prisoners who wrote letters to the NYCLU about "false positive" scans, or visitors who don't speak fluent English and would have difficulty contacting the NYCLU or other visitors contacting other advocacy organizations.

Yuster noted that innocent, inadvertent contact with drugs could result from contact with dollar bills with drug residue on them or from rubbing against someone in a crowded place.

And if machines are not maintained and calibrated carefully, one person carrying an illicit drug and testing positive could create false positives for those scanned later, Yuster said.

"Machines are supposed to be calibrated to eliminate that kind of trace detection, but they have to be stringently regulated," Yuster said.

According to DOCS procedures, the filter on the ion scan unit must be changed after every test. A first positive result is followed by a second scan. Visitors are supposed to be selected at random to be tested with the ion scanner. Visitors who test positive for having been in contact for drugs or explosives, or who refuse to be tested, are then denied entrance to a facility for two days.

Sharon Jenkins, of Syracuse, filed a petition challenging the use of the ion scanners after she was denied visitation with her fiance, Anthony D. Smith, six times at the Auburn prison last winter because she tested positive for the presence of cocaine.

A lawyer visiting a client at the downstate Fishkill Correctional Facility was denied entry to that facility July 17 after testing positive for contact with heroin. Katherine Moloney, who was an assistant public defender for 13 years and is now an associate at the Mickey A. Steiman law firm in Hyde Park, felt so humiliated and angry by testing positive for contact with heroin that she will no longer take any county parole appeals.

"I'm not going to subject myself to this experience," Moloney said, "I can't imagine what it's like for a family member or a friend to be subjected to this."

Moloney had visited another client at Fishkill the day before and was wearing the same shoes.

"My first reaction was that if I had heroin on my person, it's because I got it at this facility," Moloney said.

"I don't think the technology is there if I'm getting a false positive," Moloney said. "There is no way to controvert the findings. They didn't offer me an alternative test."

Yuster said the biggest concern with the ion scanners is the fairness of the procedure.

In contrast to New York DOCS procedure, Florida's Department of Correctional Services uses the ion scanner as a means of "initial inquiry," Yuster said. A positive ion scan result leads to a pat-down search and a canine search on the outside of a visitor's car, but if no contraband is discovered on the visitor they are not barred from visiting. Ion scanners are also used on Florida DOCS employees.

DOCS needs a "follow-up procedure to actually produce evidence of what is prohibitively preventing a person from entering the facility," Yuster said.

Visitors are prohibited from submitting to an another type of search once they have tested positive under New York DOCS guidelines.

Yuster also said DOCS employees and wardens should also be scanned to limit the introduction of drugs into prison facilities.

According to DOCS procedures, once a confirmed, positive test result or a refusal to submit to the ion scan occurs, a photocopy of the visitor's identification and a photograph of the visitor must be taken.

Moloney noted that this information is dispersed to five other places within the DOCS system.

"There is no way to know what kind of databases they may be compiling information on and what kind of ramifications that may occur for actual prisoners who have visitors who supposedly tested positive on an ion scanner," Yuster said.

The ion scanners are in random use at 15 different facilities that make up the Green Haven and Elmira hubs in the DOCS system, and their use is still to be determined at other hubs, Foglia said.

"When they have metal detectors, they have a backup plan," Hannah said, noting that visitors strip off various metal objects until they can pass through a metal detector without a problem.

"When do you put a policy into effect when it's not finished?" Hannah said.

Staff writer Amaris Elliott-Engel can be reached at 253-5311 ext. 282 or at amaris.elliot-engel@lee.net
Old 12-08-2004, 07:47 PM

Default Also from the Citizen, News Auburn NY

Lawsuit filed over scanner

By Amaris Elliott-Engel / The Citizen The fiancee of an Auburn Correctional Facility inmate has filed a lawsuit challenging the use of new ion scanners to detect if visitors have narcotics on them.

The ion scanners, introduced last fall in a pilot program by the state Department of Correctional Services, are designed to detect if visitors are attempting to smuggle drugs, explosives or other illicit materials into state prisons.

The handheld scanners detect the microscopic particles discharged by substances, including drugs and explosives, that cling to or are absorbed in the surface of skin and clothing.

Visitors of prisoners, who test positive for having been in contact with drugs or explosives, or who refuse to be tested, are denied entrance.

Sharon Jenkins, of Syracuse, was denied visitation with her fiance, Anthony D. Smith, six times at the Auburn prison last winter because she tested positive by the ion scanner for the presence of cocaine. Each time, she was suspended from visiting for that day and the two following days.

Smith was imprisoned in 1993 after convictions on drug charges.

After each visit, Jenkins submitted the negative results of urinalysis tests she underwent at the Crouse Irving Memorial Hospital in Syracuse each time she was denied visitation with her fiance, but it still did not make a difference in her admittance to the prison, said her attorney Cheryl Kates.

There is no process of appeal set up for Jenkins to challenge erroneous results of the ion scan, Kates said.

Now Jenkins has had Kates file a petition asking the Cayuga County Supreme Court to ban the devices as they are now being used.

"It's a violation of due process," Kates said. "There's no procedure in place to appeal the results of the scans."

Kates filed the petition in Cayuga County Court this week.

Jim Flateau, a spokesman for the Department of Correctional Services, declined to comment on the lawsuit.

"We respond to lawsuits in the courtroom," he said.

But Flateau did say the number of incidents of prisoners found with drugs is down by 40 percent in the 15 prisons where the ion scanners are being used in comparison to prisons where they are not in use.

He also said that the ion scanners will eventually be installed in all the state correctional facilities.

On Nov. 29, an ion scanner was used to scan Jenkins' hands, clothes, coat and shoes. On each subsequent visit, only Jenkins' hands and boots were scanned, according to the petition.

Kates said that according to the copy of the Department of Correctional Services' ion scanning guidelines she obtained through a Freedom of Information Act request, scanning only Jenkins' hands and boots was a violation of those procedural guidelines because they stipulate that "a minimum of three of the possible areas should be scanned using the same filter to ensure an appropriate sample."

Each time Jenkins visits the prison she has been scanned, although the scans are supposed to be done at random, said Kates.

Each day that Jenkins tested positive, corrections officers photographed her, made a photocopy of her driver's license and placed the information in a file, Kates said.

She said it is unclear what this information gathering will be used for, and who will have access to this information.

Smith filed a prisoner grievance in December for Jenkins' visitation rights to be restored, but his grievance was denied by prison officials in April.

Kates has tested negative on ion scans at Auburn on nine subsequent visits since January, said Kates.

Kates also noted that alternative means of testing to the ion scans could be used to clear visitors with positive scan results, including having non-contact visits where prisoners and visitors are separated by a partition.

However, current rules prohibit a visitor undergoing a pat frisk or any other type of search to still enter a prison for a visit after a positive ion test result.

Staff writer Amaris Elliott-Engel can be reached at 253-5311 ext. 282 or amaris.elliot-engel@lee.net
Old 12-23-2004, 06:07 PM

You mighgt also find http://www.radio4all.net/index.php?o..._id=9865&nav=&
interesting
Old 12-23-2004, 09:03 PM

Default MrsPhil.. Re ION Scanning issues

Good Evening MrsPhil... I am way behind in my reading of these many threads and messages :{

This is just my opinion... from what I have obsevered and read the Authorities do not care... they are the ones that implemented these scanning devises and there fore will swear by them. The guards that are doing the testing have to do as they are told and many are loving the authority of turning us visitors away... after all the less visitors the less stress and work for the guards watching over the visitation rooms. Our prisoners are rated less then second rate citizens...heck they are not, in the eyes of many, even rated as citizens. It does not matter their crime they should be locked up and the key thrown away and forgotten as far as many lay people feel. Now mind you there are many guards that do care and I have met them.

I see the ION Scanning as a long term problem one that will only be settled and done away with through lobbying. They say the squeaky wheel gets oiled...we will see, I plan on squeaking very loudly It isn't going to be an easy road to travel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPhil
When so many people are turned away doesn't someone with the authority to do something see the problem here?? They must know that not all of these people have ben in contact woth drugs. But like everything else, I guess they just don't care.
Old 12-23-2004, 09:08 PM

In Iowa, they use Ion scanners. You walk into this little room and they hand you a warm, circular cloth-like piece of paper and you rub it on the inside of your pockets. Before doing this for the first time I told them that I am on a prescription narcotic for my mirgraines and wanted to know how that would affect it. I hadn't taken any that day, but they said they would just wait and see how the test came out and go from there. well both my daughter and I passed the test, as we should have and that was the end of that. We got tested the following week and haven't got tested since.
Old 12-23-2004, 09:52 PM

Default RE: drug scanning

At the FCI in Dublin, CA the guards run a wand over either your person or item of clothing you are wearing or an item like a coin purse, watch etc.... if you are the lucky one they will even put on fresh gloves, recalibrate the scanner and put on a fresh piece of cloth on the wand :} they are also suppose to do random scanning...I am not sure what their meaning of "random" is since they will do four out of five visitors with at least three of those four being refused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessakitty4946
In Iowa, they use Ion scanners. You walk into this little room and they hand you a warm, circular cloth-like piece of paper and you rub it on the inside of your pockets. Before doing this for the first time I told them that I am on a prescription narcotic for my mirgraines and wanted to know how that would affect it. I hadn't taken any that day, but they said they would just wait and see how the test came out and go from there. well both my daughter and I passed the test, as we should have and that was the end of that. We got tested the following week and haven't got tested since.

Last edited by ladybiker3; 12-23-2004 at 09:54 PM..
Old 12-27-2004, 12:57 AM
Lyfer's Wyfe

Just a note, friends... even washing hands is not good enough. Fresh Shoes and coat as well as spare keys, (kept in a dry cleaning bag between visits) and no jewerlery would be wise. Don't forget zippers, jewelery, keys, id, shoe laces/buttons, hairclips, etc. keep all your clothes and accessories as sterile as possible. Best of luck - Cheers!

We do not remember Days, We remember Moments... Pavese, Cesare

~ Wrongfully Convicted BLOG, Petitions, and Resources at the
"WWW" Homepage button below ~
Come post
your case, too!
The Following User Says Thank You to Scryer For This Useful Post:
lullabys (07-26-2013)
Old 12-27-2004, 01:40 AM

Default drug scanner experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky's_Girl
I would like to hear from those who have had experience in dealing with prisons that have the drug scanning machines. This is for an article for Con-Tact News. Please post any personal experiences you have had, or have seen, regarding these machines. I know they aren't in all prisons in all states, so please post the state your experience was in also.

Thanks!
I went to see my husband a cpl of months ago at a reception prison in NY and i was pulled aside and told that i was "randomly" chosen for this test. I had never heard of it before and when i asked the guard what it was he said "well if u aren't using or trying to smuggle in drugs then don't worry about what it is" When we got into the room that they were doing the test, the guard that was doing it said ok pull out ur pants pockets,lift the bottom of your pantlegs off the tops of your shoes, and hold out your hands palms up. I did all of this and then asked him how the test worked and i was told that it didn't concern me and if i had a problem with letting them do the test without alot of hassle then i could just go home and not come back to visit for at least 24hrs and possibly up to a week. Needless to say i let them do the test because i had driven two hours to get there. When i got up to the visiting room i asked the guard up there about the test and was told that i would have to ask someone else. Well needless to say i never got any answers about the test. I can understand that they have ppl that do try to bring stuff into the prisons and jails, but does that mean that they have to right to assume that all of us that have a loved one in there are doing the same thing, and/or to treat us all with such disrespect.

Magoosbabygirl
Old 12-27-2004, 12:22 PM

Default ION Scanning issues

Thank you Scryer for yet more useful and helpful advise and tips.... the spare keys I didn't even think of and I was worried about my keys.... another thing I am thinking of doing on my next visit is wearing freshly washed cotton gloves once I get to the prison and then take them off just before my turn up to register in for visiting... I am also afraid of touching anything in the visiting room including the door to get in and out of :} I will have all paper work filled out in advance that has been kept in a clean plastic bag. What is anyones view on the gloves??

it is a shame we have to jump thru such hoops to see our loved ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scryer
Just a note, friends... even washing hands is not good enough. Fresh Shoes and coat as well as spare keys, (kept in a dry cleaning bag between visits) and no jewerlery would be wise. Don't forget zippers, jewelery, keys, id, shoe laces/buttons, hairclips, etc. keep all your clothes and accessories as sterile as possible. Best of luck - Cheers!
Old 12-27-2004, 06:51 PM

After my false-positive, I began wearing disposable plastic gloves. Everyone was looking at me crazy. That machine is no joke. I went to visit my husband yesterday and they were using it, actually, two ladies ahead of me were tested and they tested negative. As far as the gloves go, I don't hestitate to wear mine and as soon as I pass through the metal dector and get my hand stamped and know that I'm not going to be tested, then I will take my gloves off. I travel about 190 miles one way to visit and that's a long way to go only to be told you can't visit because of that damn machine
Old 01-02-2005, 11:17 PM

Well at NSP.....Nebraska State Pen......they test before you can go inside at all. every one gets tested. I have never tested wrongly but my mom is a nurse and one of the the bottles of some kind of narcotic busted i cant remember what it was but any ways she had it all over her hands and she didnt test positive. and when some one does they make them sit by the desk with the guard. but you still get your visit.,.
preciosa
Old 01-04-2005, 02:03 AM

Default Lsd

Obviously you were not in college in the late 60's and early 70's. Ever hear the Beatles song "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" ... aka LSD?

LSD is a psychodelic drug. they things you see when on it are called a "trip" and you can have a "good" trip or a "bad" trip ... and you've been Trippen.

It is the initials of the chemicals in it that form the LSD .... but I can't remember the full written out name.

------
Taft, CA has everyone go through the metal detector and everyone has the tops and palms of both hands swabbed and checked by the Ion screener. We all go in and wash our hands moments before going through the screener because the gaurds have warned us that we can trigger a positive by touching the coins delivered from the change machine we use to get change to bring in for the vending machines.

Last time I went someone did test positive. An unlikely person. But, it is rare to get a positive at Taft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky74
I tested positive for LSD! I don't know what LSD is and everyone I asked doesn't know. This is unfair and I still can't believe it.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:16 AM

I tested positive at Riker's Island In New York City. They let me see him still, but behind a glass. I take NO medications or do ANY drugs, I am pregnant. I was so embarassed. I did have my sister's bag that I borrowed and that is what tested positive for drugs.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:23 PM
Sarahwho

Default I've seen it happen too!

I went to visit my husband in Allenwood. There were about 7 of us to start with waiting for the "wand swab" (happens EVERY time when you go visit). They run this wand thingy doodle over the palm of your hand to your finger tips, and then you turn over your hands, and they do the other side. This older lady was, I think she was the second to get tested. She had just been asking us if there were Bibles in the visiting room, and her husband was there too. She was from further down south in Ohio than I am (way longer drive)! She got tested and the machine went off. They let her wash her hands, and when they tested her again, it went off again. Then they changed the filter, and did the rest of us, and naturally it didn't go off! If the filter isn't changed from one day to another, it's VERY possible that you will get a false positive test. They REFUSED her a visit. Her son was SO upset. Her husband eventually came in for about an hour and then left.

I take pain medication for my knee (as of lately) and have a brace on my knee. I am scheduled for surgery soon. If I take the medication, will it come back positive? It's Darvocet. Not sure I can handle not taking it for a couple days - anyone know?

Thanks
Old 01-10-2005, 07:37 PM

Yes! as long as your loved one is ANY type of confinement you and whoever visit is suspect no matter what! Get use to it - Nobody has any ansewers to any questions that you raise - Go to the Department of Correction send certified letter addressing your concerns, and tell them what has happened to you.
The Following User Says Thank You to CTisMe For This Useful Post:
lizziesmommie (09-19-2013)
Old 01-20-2005, 05:40 PM
Sarahwho

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTisMe
Yes! as long as your loved one is ANY type of confinement you and whoever visit is suspect no matter what! Get use to it - Nobody has any ansewers to any questions that you raise - Go to the Department of Correction send certified letter addressing your concerns, and tell them what has happened to you.
Thanks for your polite reply.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:25 PM

Default Re;Scanning

Hi Sarah.... they are suppose to change the filter after each scan. If they did not change the filter after scanning the older woman...then washing her hands did no good the filter was already contaminated and will go off again. They know this.... my heart goes out to her .. I am not sure about your pain medication... I have herd and read that it will send off a false positive.... I have read in PTO were some have notified the BOP in advance saying they are on prescribed meds and they were then let in to visit. I do not blame you for not wanting to go without.... the scanner from what I am understanding is not picking up what is in our system but contaminated particles on our clothing or person...so let's say you fueled up your car just before a visit...the scanner will detect the fuel that may have gotten on your hands or should a drug user touch that fuel pump just before you...then you now have the drug particles on your hand.... same should you touch money, which is very dirty. I take allergy pills and do not plan on spending my next visit with my daughter, should they let me in :} sneezing...so I plan on taking my meds before I shower and then putting on fresh clean clothes along with all of my other precations just before signing in for a visit :{

Good Luck on your next visit :-*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahwho
I went to visit my husband in Allenwood. There were about 7 of us to start with waiting for the "wand swab" (happens EVERY time when you go visit). They run this wand thingy doodle over the palm of your hand to your finger tips, and then you turn over your hands, and they do the other side. This older lady was, I think she was the second to get tested. She had just been asking us if there were Bibles in the visiting room, and her husband was there too. She was from further down south in Ohio than I am (way longer drive)! She got tested and the machine went off. They let her wash her hands, and when they tested her again, it went off again. Then they changed the filter, and did the rest of us, and naturally it didn't go off! If the filter isn't changed from one day to another, it's VERY possible that you will get a false positive test. They REFUSED her a visit. Her son was SO upset. Her husband eventually came in for about an hour and then left.

I take pain medication for my knee (as of lately) and have a brace on my knee. I am scheduled for surgery soon. If I take the medication, will it come back positive? It's Darvocet. Not sure I can handle not taking it for a couple days - anyone know?

Thanks
Old 01-21-2005, 08:15 AM
Sarahwho

Thanks!
Old 04-22-2005, 09:36 AM

Angry Scanner misfunction

I am too upset to talk about his right now but yesterday my 85 year old father went to visit his son and was positive for marijuana. HE was treated terribly told to leave the facilities and can't return for 30 days. He visits every 2-3 weeks and this is the lowpoint of the past 3 years.
Old 04-23-2005, 06:10 AM
tjsgurl

Question I never heard of this

Do they do drug screening on visitors of inmates in Georgia Prisons?

Last edited by tjsgurl; 04-23-2005 at 06:12 AM..
Old 05-08-2005, 10:06 PM
jaysmeow

My man is in El Reno and they do the drug scans there. The last time I went I was sent home because mine came up positive. Mind you I have a federal job and am not stupid enough to do drugs, much less handle them before I go there. I drove 4 hours to see him, just to have to drive 4 hours home again. I found out that it picks up if you pump gas, handle money, or some perfumes and soaps set it off. I am going tomorrow again, and I'm not touching a thing before I go. I haven't seen Jay in a year.....wish me luck.
2007 member #6
Old 05-08-2005, 10:25 PM
5 MORE DAYZ!!!!!!

i was in a hurry goin to see my husband last summer so i got change off my brothersince we can only use fives ones and change well needless to say he gives me change i go to the jail and i tested positive for cocaine so i was like i do not think so i barely drink let alone something like that so he had me wash my hands and it came back positive again so he gave me one more chance this time he took my money and ran it sure enough 100% cocaine all over my money so i left and me and my brother needless to say got into it pretty bad but those machines mess up here at the state prison in pa we all hate that machine they have not used it for like 6 mths
Old 05-08-2005, 10:29 PM
jaysmeow

I can't understand why they allow them if they know they are convicting innocent people of something they dodn't do. It just baffles me, but then again, it is the "legal" system.
2007 member #6
Old 05-22-2005, 12:05 PM

Do not eat anything with poppyseeds...no bagels, muffins or salad dressing, depending on how your body metabolizes foods the ingestion of them can simulate morphine or codeine use in urine tests...so maybe it does the same thing for this device to show a false positive. I did a quick search on Google and came up with this link for a simple explanation (didn't know the Wizard of Oz part though) http://www.nida.nih.gov/MOM/OP/MOMOP1.html

By the way, LSD is Lysergic Acid Diethylamide http://www.nida.nih.gov/Infofacts/LSD.html

This site may be the best overall...Google searched for 'LSD False Positive' and got the below site. Quoting a sentence on the webpage "Currently there are more than 250 over-the-counter medications and prescription drugs that can cause false positives".
http://www.ipassedmydrugtest.com/false_positives.asp

:love: Love is when you look into someone's eyes and see their heart. - Jill Petty -<nbsp> :love: