Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > PENNSYLVANIA > Pennsylvania Prison Profiles
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Pennsylvania Prison Profiles This forum is for profiles and general information on all Pennsylvania prisons.

Old 10-07-2004, 07:50 PM
Registered Member

Arrow SCI-Pine Grove

SCI-Pine Grove
189 Fyock Road
Indiana, PA 15701
(724)465-9630

SCI-Pine Grove is a maximum-security facility for Young Adult Offender males. The Young Adult Offender Program (YAOP) is primarily designed for those offenders between the ages of 15-20 adjudicated as adults due to the nature of the criminal offense committed. The YAOP meets their special needs of education, adolescent development and recreational activity, while providing a safe environment for those offenders.

The entire instituion is run as a therapeutic community. Young Adult Offenders are encouraged to make life changes in areas of self-responsibility, discipline, respect for others and themselves, and to develop positive self-esteem. The inmates positive accomplishments are rewarded and negative or dysfunctional behavior is discouraged.

SCI-Pine Grove utilizes six treatment phases which are target to the specific needs of Young Adult Offenders. In the early phases, an inmate attends very broad programs that build upon one another. In the later phases, the treatment changes to a more focused and intensive treatment plan based upon the needs of the individual offender. Specific programs target sex offenders, drug and alcohol abuse, anger management, etc.

SCI-Pine Grove has been certified by the Pennsylvania Department of Education as a year round school. Each YAO will attend school for four hours a day. The curriculum is designed to meet the YAO's specific needs. Special education as well as general curriculum are provided by certified teachers.

Hands on training is provided, allowing the YAO to develop employable job skills depending upon their aptitude. Programs offered include: computer repair, AutoCAD drafting, culinary arts, automotive repair, building maintenance, and business education.

Key Staff

Barry Johnson, Superintendent

M. Larry Amenti, Deputy Superintendent for Centralized Services

Joseph Mazurkiewicz, Deputy Superintendent for Facilities Management

Doug Russell, Superintendent's Assistant
Dennis P. Decker, Business Manager

Last edited by bethbupp; 04-03-2006 at 03:39 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2006, 02:34 PM

Default I thought Sci Pine-Grove was just for juveniles?

I just found out my friend, who is 34, was in Pine Grove when he served his five years. He served the last 2 years at Chester but he said his "home" prison is Pine Grove. He was sentence when he was 28 years old. Isn't that a bit too old for Pine Grove? He crime was non-violent and he got so much time because he was a repeat offender. He just violated his parole and is currently at Graterford but I received a letter today and he said if he is moved he would go back to Pine Grove not Chester. Isn't that kind of odd?

Does anyone have experience with this?
Old 02-13-2006, 08:16 PM

Default Pine Grove

There is a young adult offender unit at Pine Grove, but the DOC also houses regular inmates there too.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:32 PM
Future Mrs. McGraw

Default anyone from Pine Grove

does anyone have someone in pine grove or know anything about it? i can never find any info really for it. well yea anything you know an help. thanks.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:08 AM

I live 4 miles from Pine Grove; my son was in Pine Grove for 5 years, and I also worked there for a year. I'm very much out of the loop for current info (last 2 years), but other than that, ask away!
Old 01-31-2008, 10:06 PM
Future Mrs. McGraw

oh ok. lol. well my b/f is in the hole now and he said that it doesnt mean anything really just that he gotta do bootcamp still. but a friend of mine who is also in jail said that when you go to the hole it adds time to your setence. hes saying like 6 months. do you know if thats true or not? and also if you go for visting can you like stay in a hotel and go more than one day? thanks for your help.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:12 PM

Being in the hole does not add time to your sentence, except that you're not going to make parole in the next year, if you're in the hole. Normally I would say that you could stay in a hotel, but the LDP (boot camp) has more restricted phone calls and visits. He should be supplying you with info on that, as soon as he starts in the program.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:39 PM
Future Mrs. McGraw

oh ok. thanks. he doesnt tell me anything. lol. so atleast now i know some. lol.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:09 AM

Default SCI Pine Grove

Can anyone give me any info on pine grove My Man was sent there last week on a PV. He is 29 will they keep him there thought it was a kid prison
but that is where he was before he got out this is his 2nd PV hit anyone know how muck time he might get????
Old 10-07-2008, 04:08 PM

Pine Grove is where the juvenile program is housed, but there are at least two housing blocks full of adults who help to run the place.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:12 PM

My fiance is there on his second PV. He's 27. He requested to stay there though cuz it's closer for me to drive. He just maxed out so I dont know how long ur man will get.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:25 AM

Default Pine Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethbupp View Post
Pine Grove is where the juvenile program is housed, but there are at least two housing blocks full of adults who help to run the place.
My son (adult 23) may be sent to Pine Grove. He is in Bucks County right now. I see your son was at Pine Grove. My son is looking for info and I can not seem to find any forums thru google like he requested.

Any info would be appreciated!

Hyper664
Old 03-22-2009, 11:31 AM

It has been over 3 years now since my son left Pine Grove, and I'm sure some things have changed. PM me with whatever questions your son has, and I'll try to get you answers.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:43 PM

i was in pine grove for the young adult offender program back in 2004. any specific questions you may have, i may be able to answer them for you. PM me if you have any.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:25 PM

A friend of mine is in pine grove and has 10 months left to serve, i am headed out to see him sometime soon, does anyone have any information on visitation, and how strict there are on clothing, as camp hill you practically have to wear a blanket around you to be allowed to visit? thanks
Old 06-01-2011, 06:56 AM

Quote:
It has been over 3 years now since my son left Pine Grove, and I'm sure some things have changed. PM me with whatever questions your son has, and I'll try to get you answers.
My son is 19 and at Graterford right now soon to be moved to Camp Hill....he expressed concerns about dreading Pine Grove versus other home jails...he seems to feel he will get additional time if he goes there. Any info about your son's experience or your own would be much appreciated! I'm new to this forum so I'll do my best to figure out how this whole site works lol!
Old 08-16-2011, 06:17 PM

Quote:
How is it like in Pine Grove? I have someone locked up? How are people, faculty, etc
Old 12-02-2011, 07:29 PM

Does anyone have a loved one at Pine Grove at the moment?

Old 12-04-2011, 11:03 AM
nothing else matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatDarling View Post
Does anyone have a loved one at Pine Grove at the moment?
My fiance was just moved there about 6 months ago.

there can be no great love
without great pain.

--

nothing else matters.
O5.26.O4
Old 12-04-2011, 11:45 AM

Do you mind if I maybe shoot you a PM today or tomorrow? I have a bunch of questions about visits.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:29 PM

Trying to get some info on how visits are at Pine Grove. I will be visiting soon ans wanted to know how it was set up.