Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > PENNSYLVANIA > Pennsylvania Prison Profiles
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Pennsylvania Prison Profiles This forum is for profiles and general information on all Pennsylvania prisons.

Old 10-07-2004, 07:40 PM
Registered Member

Arrow SCI-Muncy

SCI-Muncy
P.O. Box 180
Muncy, PA 17756
(570)546-3171

SCI Muncy (Lycoming County, 15 miles from Williamsport) is the diagnostic and classification center for the state's female inmates. It was originally opened in 1920 as The Muncy Industrial Home, a training school for female offenders between the ages of 16 and 30. Incorporated into the Bureau of Correction in 1953, SCI Muncy is a close-security prison that also houses all of the state’s female capital case inmates. It is located on Rte 405 approx. 2 miles South of I-180
on the western side of the Susquehanna River.

Key Staff

Shirley R. Moore, Superintendent
Karen L. Fultz, Deputy Superintendent for Facilities Management

Joanne I. Torma, Deputy Superintendent for Centralized Services

Richard A. Koleno, Business Manager

Patricia S. Stover, Superintendent's Assistant

Last edited by bethbupp; 04-03-2006 at 03:23 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2007, 12:31 AM

Muncy is home to Carol King and other dr inmates. I understand conditions there are deplorable.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:47 PM

I may be headed there can u tell me what to expect
Old 07-11-2009, 01:58 PM
His Wife, عاكِفة

Thanked 3,602 Times in 2,241 Posts
Default Any Muslimahs at Muncy?

I am a Muslim woman from PA. Recently, at my masjid (mosque) a letter arrived from a brother incarcerated at Cumberland County Prison...he is new to Islam and was looking for penpals and more info on Islam because books/info was limited where he was at. I was quite saddened by his situation. I have a fiance incarcerated in Cali (he's Muslim as well), and so I can understand to some extent how it can be to not have info, and as a new Muslim myself, I know how important that is (for info and to have that connection to other Muslims).

Anyways....that got me thinking....I know there are obviously women incarcerated as well. I'm sure there may be a few Muslimahs incarcerated (whether they were Muslim before going in or reverted afterwards)...and they may be in the same situation...having limited info and contact with other Muslimahs. I would really like to reach out to any Muslimahs in the PA prisons, especially Muncy (since I know that's a womens prison). If you know of any, please PM me their info so I can write them, and insh'Allah (God willing), I can send them info or at least just be a friend for them to talk to.

"Time as a measurement of love is eternal.
It extends beyond the borders of forever into the depths of infinity.
I love you this and much more."
~~M'love

Finally, happily married to m'love: 1/25/13.

Old 06-26-2010, 06:54 PM

Default Seeking Info.

Hi, My mom was arrested last July and had been in Franklin County Jail in chambersburg, PA, but is being transferred since her trial...to muncy. Does anyone know any details? Are inmates allowed to smoke? Is there a way to send items (clothes, bible, and such?) How many photos can we send and are they to be a certain size? Thanks for all information. I'm so worried for my mom and she'll be in for about 3 years. Wish I could be there for her.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:08 AM

Hi, there is a lot to know about muncy but I will tell you in a nut shell... she cannot smoke for the first 3 months because she will be classified to a security level. (blues) there is a lot of illegal ciggerette trafficing through the inmates that are classifed (browns) she will get caught. she will get a misconduct. and she'll go to the hole (rhu) and the whole parole, pre-release thing will be ruined.

Tell her not to run her mouth. Not to do anything that will get her in trouble or get her looked upon as a bad inmate. She'll go to J-UNIT which is the worst possible place you could imagine.

You can't send her anything. You can send her books only though the book store. You buy it there and have them mail it to her and make sure you include her inmate number.

When you write her letters, DO NOT put, stickers, perfume, glitter, tape, homemade cards...because they will get sent back

when and if you go to visit her. Bring money in 5s and 1s and only your state ID in a zip loc baggie. Leave everything else in the car. No underwire bras. Please bring like 20 dollars with you to the visit room. bc she'll want food from the vending machine.

BTW. when she comes over for the visit. Make sure she has all state issued clothes. No watches, no jewelery.
Maybe if shes still in county you can bring her a CROSS necklace or a ring.. you can come in with thouse things. Tell her to wear her shower shoes when she comes upstate bc she'll be able to keep thouse things with her.

do you have any other questions?
Its not that bad there! Its decent. Really decent all things concidered

DO NOT tell anyone your sentence really. or how long you are there
ppl talk about their sentences all the time. and try to fix things and change things. it rarely ever happens.

try to get RRRI. if she has a violent crime she cannot get any good time.

tell her to be good. get involved. join the Marian Singers. don't smoke in her cell when shes in browns. DON'T FUCK UP or she'll be there past the 6 years.
get a good job there. try not to work in the kitchen. apply to work CWP the outside grounds crew.

and when she sees parole, ADMIT to the crime. Please take full responsiblity for the crime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambersky2 View Post
Hi, My mom was arrested last July and had been in Franklin County Jail in chambersburg, PA, but is being transferred since her trial...to muncy. Does anyone know any details? Are inmates allowed to smoke? Is there a way to send items (clothes, bible, and such?) How many photos can we send and are they to be a certain size? Thanks for all information. I'm so worried for my mom and she'll be in for about 3 years. Wish I could be there for her.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:46 AM

Default SCI Muncy

I don't know much about Muncy at all. My partner just went up there 3 weeks ago. She said she is done with the classification testing but still hasn't been classified. What different classifications are there? I know the judge sentenced her up there for their Therapuetic Community program but I don't understand this whole classification process and why do some women get sent to Cambridge? Does anyone know what that place is? I mean I know it's for women but is it different than Muncy or the same? I'm so confused. Thank you for any information
Old 12-30-2012, 08:44 AM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 1,668 Times in 964 Posts

The two facilities are the same, we just don't have enough beds in one to handle all the women in the system. Once an inmate completese the classification testing, they wait while the classification team processes everything and makes a decision. It's more than just "where to put her," it also involves establishing the foundation for any treatment programs, medical issues, custody level, etc.

if she remains at Muncy AND if Muncy allows it, she will go into their TC. If she's sent to CBSP, the same decision will be made there. All women are "ordered" to Muncy because that's he classification facility for women (just as Camp Hill is for men.) The judge's "order" for a TC is not binding on the DOC.