Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > PENNSYLVANIA > Pennsylvania Prison Profiles
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Pennsylvania Prison Profiles This forum is for profiles and general information on all Pennsylvania prisons.

Old 10-07-2004, 07:26 PM
Registered Member

Arrow SCI-Mercer

SCI-Mercer
801 Butler Pike
Mercer, PA 16137
(724)662-1837

SCI-Mercer is a minimum-security adult male facility. SCI-Mercer currently maintains an average inmate population of 1048. The average length of stay at the facility is approximately 2.6 years. The average age of an inmate confined at Mercer is 40.7 years old.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2005, 11:12 PM
5 MORE DAYZ!!!!!!

My husband is in mercer they are starting to do some changes a lot of the co's from western came to mercer and now they are no longer allowed to buy shoes from magazines they are putting up a second wired fence they are making the visiting room larger and visits shorter a lot of the new cos are very very strict another thing is mercer only has 2 lifers since it is a min sec most people there are only po violators and people doing small sentences some of the guards are great others are completely crazy buy i guess you get that everywhere.
Old 04-28-2005, 07:06 PM

imissrondale thats good to know. In a few years my loved one will be able to transfer to a lowered security, and we were considering a request for Mercer. We will know more when the time is a bit closer, but thanks for the information.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:23 AM
5 MORE DAYZ!!!!!!

mercer is definately a good place to go cause of the low violence and it is a baby jail but now they are starting to get a little stricter but still way better then most state prisons
Old 05-02-2005, 01:53 PM
friends are timeless

Zewskislady Sci-mercer In Know As Camp Foofoo Its Easy Time Good For Going Home Co Are Cool But Then You Know That One Bad Apple Lol Any Question Ask
Old 05-03-2005, 12:44 PM

Well, hopefully when our time is a little closer, and we are able to put in a request he will be allowed to go there... we have a few years yet, but we have nothing but time to think about things like this.... Take care .. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:25 PM

Question Questions about Mercer

My man is currently at Smithfield, but he can put in for a transfer closer to home soon. His counsler keeps on pushing him towards Mercer, but he is not sure. He is happy where he is at, but he heard that Mercer has more programs than Smithfield. Does anyone know anything about the conditions at Mercer and what programs they have? This would really help him in making a decision. Thanks for your help.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:34 PM

my boyfriend just got transferred to SCI MERCER...does anyone know how the prison is now? has anything changed as far as the visitation, rights of the inmates, strictness, etc. Fill a sister in!....
Old 10-14-2008, 11:32 AM

visiting hours monday, thursday, friday, 830-330pm not sure about weekend, you can call them
Old 10-14-2008, 11:42 AM
friends are timeless

Visits changed big time no evening at all look on the pa doc its listed there. Good luck and happy visiting!!!!
dr. seuss
Old 11-13-2008, 06:54 PM

anyone going to MERCER anytime soon, can't find any transportation to go there
Old 11-18-2008, 10:42 AM

Yeah im trying to find transportation too!!! I was going with this van service leaving out of harrisburg, pa, but it got cancelled b/c we didnt have enough ppl. Lala would you be down?
Old 10-22-2009, 05:36 AM

this probably sounds silly but my brother in law just got sent to mercer and it is the first time he has ever had a hair cut in 30 yrs. i cant get to see him and would love to see him bald does anyone know a site where u can see their inmate id's?
Old 10-23-2009, 04:11 AM

No, but whoever does go to visit him can have their picture taken with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayssisternbro View Post
this probably sounds silly but my brother in law just got sent to mercer and it is the first time he has ever had a hair cut in 30 yrs. i cant get to see him and would love to see him bald does anyone know a site where u can see their inmate id's?
Old 01-06-2012, 07:04 PM

Default Son sent to Mercer

Son was recently transferred to Mercer. When he called he said it was probably the best place he could have neded up being as he's a level 3 and it's a minimum security. Can anyone give me the skinny of this place ? There's not much to read on here about it.

Last edited by Wolf9785; 01-06-2012 at 07:09 PM..
Old 01-08-2012, 08:22 AM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 1,656 Times in 955 Posts

While Mercer is a Level 2 facility, the recently put a fence around it. Nonetheless, it still retains much of its Level 2 character.
Wolf9785 (01-08-2012)
Old 02-26-2013, 09:34 AM

Default yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesbabydoll View Post
My man is currently at Smithfield, but he can put in for a transfer closer to home soon. His counsler keeps on pushing him towards Mercer, but he is not sure. He is happy where he is at, but he heard that Mercer has more programs than Smithfield. Does anyone know anything about the conditions at Mercer and what programs they have? This would really help him in making a decision. Thanks for your help.
It is nice there for being in jail cece trancferd from smithfield about 12 years ago and he made out good he went closer to eire now thought i thing.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:37 PM

I was in Mercer and left back in 2010. For being a first time offender it was a much easier stay for me (about 40 months). Did the Graterford and CampHill thing before ending up there and of course county and it was much nicer than I had imagined; well should say much more torarable. While I was there they went through two supers, well actually three. They had a decent amount of learning programs where you could actually earn certification in building trades that are recognized nationally. The guards (most) were very respectful and was told at the start; if you keep your hands off of us we do the same and they meant it. Everyone (inmates) were mainly set-back and easy going; you had a few that needed to prove themselves. But the normal rule no matter where you go is stay to yourself, trust no one, don't ever gamble, don't ever borrow and don't ever talk about another inmate behind their back. Respect for fellow inmate and guard is key to your survival and time going easier and faster. Had a nice yard, grass where you could lay out in the sun, not much activities for those that did not like sports like me or weight lifting. Most of the teachers really cared about the inmates and wanted to help them learn so they had something when they left. Unfortunately the councellors left quickly; bad because just as you got to know yours they left for one reason or another. Can't say it was an enjoyable experience but far less terrible than I had imagined for being a first timer.
The Following User Says Thank You to waitinguntil001 For This Useful Post:
Wolf9785 (07-11-2014)