Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > PENNSYLVANIA > Pennsylvania Prison Profiles
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Pennsylvania Prison Profiles This forum is for profiles and general information on all Pennsylvania prisons.

Old 10-07-2004, 08:12 PM
Registered Member

Arrow SCI-Graterford

SCI-Graterford
P.O. Box 246 (staff)
P.O. Box 244 (inmates)
Graterford, PA 19426-0246
(610)489-4151
fax: (484)961-7907

The State Correctional Institution at Graterford is located 31 miles west of Philadelphia. The facility, built in 1929, is Pennsylvania's largest maximum-security prison. In 1989, an $80 million construction program was completed that added a new administration building, a 28-bed infirmary and 372 additional cells. It is located just north of Collegeville off of Rte 29.

Key Staff

David DiGuglielmo - Superintendent
John K . Murray - Deputy Superintendent for Facilities Management

A. Scott Williamson - Deputy Superintendent for Centralized Services

Michael A. Lorenzo - Deputy Superintendent for Internal Security

Michael Spencer - Business Manager

Jennifer Daneker - Superintendent's Assistant

Last edited by bethbupp; 04-03-2006 at 05:27 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2005, 06:16 AM

Is there anyone who knows a bit more about Graterford? One of my penpals is staying here.

Thanks a lot,
Specht
Old 03-23-2005, 02:32 PM

I visit my fiance there on the death row unit,what did you want to know?
Old 03-31-2005, 03:19 PM

Default Graterford Prison

my boyfriend has been sentenced 3-6 he is at Graterford. I have heard that they are only there until classified then they could possibly be transferred to another prison. Does anyone know if that's true?? Also if they are being certified are they still able to receive mail??? Thanks for any info!!!
Old 03-31-2005, 09:34 PM
Making US stronger!!
Donation Award 

I am not sure about that specific prison exactly but I do know each state has certain prisons that they consider to be "intake" prisons...this is where the inmate gets processed into the system...basically they have their shots, their physicals, their mental evaluations, and then after about 2-3 weeks sometimes longer depending on the crowding in other places they are shipped out to the system.....while they are in this intake process they can have visits (after a certain amount of days or weeks in some states) and are allowed letters as well....so I would say go ahead and write to them, if they are moved before they get the letter it WILL follow them....good luck not sure if this helped you out with that specific prison but hopefully it helped some!

Kelly
Old 04-01-2005, 12:58 AM

Is there anyone who has a loved one or a penpal in Graterford? My penpal is in here for life, and it would be nice to talk to someone who knows a bit more about this place.

Thanks!
Specht
Old 09-19-2005, 02:15 PM

My husband went to graterford today! He was in the police district yesterday then straight to graterford today! It must be an intake prison! He is waiting to go to New York!
Old 10-07-2005, 06:09 PM

I had a friend in Graterford, havent heard from him in a few years, he was transferred there from MCCC...
Old 12-15-2005, 02:27 PM

Default Graterford PA

Hi, I am new to this... I am just trying to find out if anyone knows how to get to Graterford by car. I live in the Poconos but I know Philly very well. Thanks.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:15 AM

I go to Graterford EVERY weekend...I was driving there with friends, but both of their husbands have been transferred
I know how to get there!!!!! I live in PHILLY, Can you go through PHILLY first? I take 76 to 422 to get there........
Old 12-21-2005, 03:08 PM

wanted To Say Hello, & Welcome To Pto!

God's timimg does not always coinside with our immediate plans, sometimes his timimg requires that we wait and put our trust in him, because he will always have our best interest in mind
Old 01-01-2006, 09:23 PM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 1,685 Times in 976 Posts

Take 476 S to Noristown. Exit turnpike. Travel W on 422 (business road) through Plymouth Meeting, Norristow, Trooper, etc. As you approach Collegeville, stay right, (merges with Ridge Pike). Cross bridge, turn right immediately, and follow a few miles into Schwenksville area. Prison is on right, across Perkiomen Creek. Can't miss it -- big wall visible across fields.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:41 PM
Wiating for my true love

Default I, too, Am In The Same Vote

Hi...I too am new to this, and I also have a very special friend who was just transported to SCI Graterford....I Am also in the area of the Poconos. Maybe we should chat sometime and possibly go and visit our loved ones...
Old 01-31-2006, 12:54 PM
Wiating for my true love

Default SCI Graterford

Hi Everyone,
I am new to prison talk and very special friend has just been transported for county to Graterford. I'm looking for other who may have loved ones in there....I hope to take a trip down, according to Yahoo!Directions, it's about 2.5 hours from me but I would like to surprize my friend for Valentine's Day. Does anyoone know the exact location of the state prison once I get to Graterford. I hope he will be transfered back to Mahony but only time will tell. God, I miss him!
Old 01-31-2006, 10:07 PM

PTO Moderator 

Hi.
Use MapQuest.com. If you follow the Perkiomen Creek up from Collegeville, you'll find the prison on the left (east) side, near Spring Mount ski area.
You are coming down from the Mahanoy area? I regularly correspond with several men there (Prison Society.)
Regards,
bob
Old 02-02-2006, 12:56 PM
Wiating for my true love

Thanks Bob..
Unfortunately, I spoke to my loved one yesterday and he will not put me on his visitors list. He doesn't want me to see him there and would perfer if I wait until he is transfered to Mahanoy, whenever that may be. That is his actually home jail before the violation and new charges. I respect him enough not to give him a hard time, but God, I miss him!
Thanks anyway!
Shell
Old 02-02-2006, 09:54 PM

PTO Moderator 

Hi, Shell.
Sounds like he is very firtunate to have you by his side.
bob
Old 02-03-2006, 09:22 AM
Wiating for my true love

Default Fortunate he IS..

Yes Bob, he is very fortunate to have me by his side, and hopefully...he knows that. He and I are only friends and both want more. However, I am a married woman with 3 children of my own and custody of a niece while my sister is in jail. This guy means the world to me...and he knows it. He make me feel like there is love after pain...my marriage is not a very well one. My husband is a control freak and verbally abusive. This man gives me hope and a smile to make it another day. And also the strength to stick up for myself. I am trying to either make my marriage work or move on...I can no longer take the pain of being verbally abused or controlled. So as much as I am on this jailbird's side, I know he is on mine. We've become very close this past year. He was my sister's boyfriend but he and I talked more then they did. Nothing sexual has ever happened between us...so the attraction we have for each other is from the heart. I was with him this time. I was the passenger in his car... I was the 'friend' he was trying to keep from trouble! And look where it got him...I feel guilty however, that has nothing to do with our feelings for each other. They were there before the jail thing and just grew stronger. One day, I hope to have my life straightened out so I can welcome him home with open arms! He's really not a bad guy beneath his cold exterior. He's someone who up until that night, used alcohol to escape from his past. but with my help, he is seeing a professional...something he should have done 15 years ago. And with my help when he is released...Hopefully he'll never see the inside again!
Thanks for listening....
Shell
Old 02-03-2006, 08:24 PM

PTO Moderator 

Anytime.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:49 AM

Post Osu

The OSU is a housing unit on the grounds of Graterford, that is outside the wall of the main prison. Inmates have to be a certain security level and go through a staffing to be moved there. They wear gray uniforms instead of brown ones. The housing unit has "real" bathrooms. There are inmates who are training dogs for the blind. Irons and microwaves are available for inmate's use. There is razor wire around the actual building that they sleep in, but during the day, inmates move freely around the grounds, within certain limits. Some OSU inmates actually have jobs driving delivery vehicles around the grounds.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:08 AM
Dying Inside

Question Reply to Bri's Baby and Some other Q's

Hello Bri's Baby! My boyfriend was just recently sentenced to up to 6 years and is at Graterford right now. He will be transferred to Camp Hill in a couple weeks then to another prison somewhere in Harrisburg. Its scary to think that he is going through so much misery but I guess they should really start to think about things before they do them right? What is your bf in for? Mine is in for aggravated stalking- an offense that happened over a year ago but he is now paying for. I am going to see him this weekend so if anyone else is planning on visiting the prison- let me know. I really do not want go be alone for my first visit. Also if anyone can help me - i would like to know what its like to visit Graterford. What kind of environment is it- open seating or behind glass? Can you hug the prisoner? What are the rules and regulations? I really would like to get some answers before I go into this new world. thanks
Old 05-06-2006, 08:19 AM

Hello sviglione! Graterford is not a bad prison to visit at all. I have been visiting for years and have never had a problem. The best advice I can give is to arrive as early in the day is possible. I usually arrive at 7 am. because you will need to pull a number and it is first come, first to get down in to visit. You will ones and fives to cash in for tokens and picture tickets cost two dollars. The environment is open seating. You are allowed to hug and kiss when you first get down in and when you leave but during the actual visit you may hold hands and that it really it. The C.O.'s always seem very friendly when I am there. Have a great visit.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:09 PM
Dying Inside

Unhappy Thank you

I thank you for all your help! This group is proving to be a real great support system...I really need it as I am having a really hard time dealing with this.
Old 07-16-2006, 08:27 PM

My boyfriend has an staffing interview soon for the OSU at Graterford. Does anyone have any information on how a visit works out there. I know u can take food and such and when I visit I dont see people taking the food to the metal detectors or anything and I just can't seem to figure out the procedure for it so if anyone can help I would appreciate it. Thanks!
Old 07-18-2006, 07:43 PM

Talking

Congratulations in advance on your boyfriend's move to the OSU. The OSU is a wonderful place compared to the rest of the DOC. My son just left there on parole yesterday. They have real bathrooms, microwaves, irons, only have a fence around them at night, and don't even have to take it in their rooms at night if they don't want to. As far as visits go -- park your car at the far front edge of the visitor parking lot. If you are looking for it, you will see a small white building there, just down a sidewalk. There are cement picnic tables and park benches outside. That building is their dining hall downstairs, and the visiting room upstairs. Leave the food in your car, and go to the main lobby to take a number like always. You will not need tokens, but can still get photo tickets if you like. After you get signed in, you will get called almost right away, because they do not bother looking for your inmate before calling you. You still go back into the metal detector room, but not through it -- think about it -- you are going back to your car. They use the ion scanner randomly. Then you go back to your car, and down the sidewalk. You go in the door in the front (back door is for the inmates) and up a flight of stairs. There is a list on the wall of what you cannot take in. In all the times I've been there, only once has a CO even asked if I had anything in my pockets. They look through your bags of food to make sure you don't have any open commercial packages or non-see-through homemade food containers, and no glass or tinfoil. You can bring McDonald's or pizza, or something to microwave, or whatever he is craving. Then you are free to visit straight through until 6 pm. The COs won't care if he has his arms around you the whole time, as long as the two of you don't get too gropey. Assuming there is not a staff shortage, you should be allowed to go outside with him for an hour or two. You can walk around or play volleyball, or whatever. About 10:00 the volunteer lady shows up. She has been coming there for over 20 years. She will entertain your kids or provide you with board games and toys and books to play with them yourselves. I'm telling you, the OSU visits are fantastic! It's almost like real life.