Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > PENNSYLVANIA > Pennsylvania Prison Profiles
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Pennsylvania Prison Profiles This forum is for profiles and general information on all Pennsylvania prisons.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:55 PM

thinking outloud here...i have had to take buses and trains so often to get to my family at christmas, just plain exhausted of it, but thats why i need to connect up with someone to get there for a visit! If i am coming from west of ohio out of state, which would be best, to go to pittsburgh and find a connector there, or is it better to go to philadelphia? Tia
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2011, 10:35 AM

From Ohio most definitely Pittsburgh, SCI Fayette is only about 45 mins to an hour from the 'Burgh. Oh and sorry BFE = Bum F&^cked Egypt, just a saying is all.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:05 AM

I just wanted to post here that I live right by SCI Fayette, just wanted to post this in case it is able to help someone. I took the tour when they opened it and I know a few people that work there. I don't know anyone locked up there, so I'm not familiar with any of the protocols or procedures in there but if anyone needs to know anything about the area, don't hesitate to ask.

It is in the middle of BFE for sure, there is absolutely NOTHING near it, not so much as a gas station or deli, so be prepared for that. If you need lodging, you'll have to most likely make your way to Uniontown or Washington. The same pretty much goes if you're hungry, though there are some eateries and gas stations in nearby Brownsville. There are a few buildings in Browsville that say Hotel on them, but they are not, they are just bars that were hotels 50 years ago and never changed their name/sign.

Best way in: You're basically going to need to find Brownsville along Route 40. If you're coming from East or West, take 70 to 43 south (toll road) to 40 U.S. 40 East, and Brownsville is just a stone's throw away down the hill and across the bridge. If you're coming from North or South, 79 will take you to 70 East then same thing, take 43 South, the sign should say to "California University" and maybe it says Brownsville as well, I don't remember off hand. 43 North says Pittsburgh, don't take that way.

From U.S. 40 Eastbound take the first exit after the bridge in Brownsville then make a left at the stop sign. Westbound take the last exit before that bridge, then make a left and loop around under the bridge. Either way you'll be on Market St. in Brownsville. Go through one red light then make a right before the large gray bank building. This will take you under another bridge and you should have railroad tracks directly to your right. Follow this road until it hooks left then back right and leads out of Brownsville toward La Belle. CAUTION! They are building a bridge over this road as part of the new Mon/Fayette expressway, so you're likely to run into road work. After about 5 miles you'll see Maxwell off to the right, there is a lock and dam there there and railroad tracks. Bear left and keep up the hill. You'll pass a Post Office and a fire department. That's La Belle. Don't blink or you'll miss it. Go through town then back down a hill until the main road hooks left. Were you to go straight, you'd wind up at the ferry which still operates but it's kind of sketchy. Anyway follow the main road left down a VERY winding road until you reach the prison on your right about a mile from that intersection. You really can't miss it, it's the ONLY thing out there.

If you need anything in the area, Uniontown has you covered. In Uniontown (half hour on U.S. 40 East out of Brownsville) you may find: Super 8 Motel, Holiday Inn, Sheetz, Applebees, Ruby Tueday, Fayette County Courthouse, Super Wal-Mart, Super K-Mart, Super Target, many of the usual fast food places (LJS, McD, BK, etc), pretty much anything you need. In La Belle you will find absolutely nothing besides the prison.

Hope this helps someone.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:15 PM

Default Bridging the distance

My husband was recently transferred to Fayette(home jail), which is 270 miles (1-way) from home . How do those of you that live far from Fayette manage the distance w/o it costing a fortune? Beyond the cost, the time it would take would consume most of the day given that it would take 10 hours to drive round trip. I would love to get him back into this area into some place like Waymart, which would only be an hour away. How can I go about getting him back home? I would never be able to manage a trip of that distance either financially or physically. Any ideas would be really appreciated. Also, how often are they allowed to phone home? We write letters everyday but I only get them in bunches 2 or 3 days a week. What's up with that? I am still learning how everything works. Judi
Old 01-21-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judi-4 View Post
My husband was recently transferred to Fayette(home jail), which is 270 miles (1-way) from home . How do those of you that live far from Fayette manage the distance w/o it costing a fortune? Beyond the cost, the time it would take would consume most of the day given that it would take 10 hours to drive round trip. I would love to get him back into this area into some place like Waymart, which would only be an hour away. How can I go about getting him back home? I would never be able to manage a trip of that distance either financially or physically. Any ideas would be really appreciated. Also, how often are they allowed to phone home? We write letters everyday but I only get them in bunches 2 or 3 days a week. What's up with that? I am still learning how everything works. Judi
Hi Judi
My son is at Fayette, luckily for me it's only about 2 hours one way for me. My son is permitted to use the phone every day, as far as mail, they only get and can send mail out Monday through Friday.