Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Employment
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Employment Finding post-incarceration employment can be an almost monumental task. Find tips, job offers and stories from those of us that have experienced it first hand.

Old 10-07-2004, 12:06 AM

Default Does a Federal Felony conviction show up on a regular background check?

Two years ago, I was convicted of a low-level federal felony (I refused to testify against a friend, and I was convicted of withholding evidence). I did not receive a prison sentence; I was sentenced to a year probation.

Now I'm out of work and looking for a job. Many of the employers here get a criminal background check from the state government. My conviction was not on a state charge, but the federal court building is here in the same city. Will my federal felony show up on a regular background check, or does it only show up if they do an FBI background check?

I've searched the web and looked at lots of companies that do criminal background checks. Most of them do a record check with the state criminal courts. Even the national background checks only check on a state level. Most of the services also offer a federal check, but when you look at the details of what they search, they only check registries of federal prisons (and I was never in one).

Does anyone know if my federal conviction would show up in the state criminal records? I'm desperate to find work, and I just need to know what to expect...
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2004, 07:14 PM

It will not appear on a state check and I have been told that most employers do not do a Federal check unless you apply for a job that requires a security clearence or carrying a gun.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:33 PM
Account Closed

I know that with my position they had to do a federal background check because I haven't lived in Ohio for five years... Then again, the background check they did on me was much more indepth because I work with children...
Old 10-12-2004, 01:03 AM

Thanks for the info, everybody! I interviewed with 4 different companies last week who were interested in me, and they all said that they would contact me after they got the results of my background check. One of the companies called me this morning and offered me the job, so obviously it must not have shown up!

I actually did a lot of research this past week, and I learned a lot about background checks. There are a lot of companies that perform background checks for fee, and different employers use different services. While the policies differ depending on the company that performs the check (there are a lot of different companies out there doing this), There are different levels of the services; most companies do a state background check, where federal crimes don't show up. Some companies do a national background check, which just checks the database for all the different states, and again, my charge wouldn't show up. Here's what I thought was really interesting: for a federal background check, most companies access a public database that lists info on everyone who has ever served time in a federal prison. Since I got probation, I won't show up there, either. For special security clearance positions, or positions working with children, most companies run an actual FBI background report, and that's the one place where my conviction will show up. Luckily, the jobs I'm qualified for don't involve getting bonded or any high security issues, so it looks like I'm really lucky, and this conviction won't destroy my career, as I thought it would. What a relief!

Thanks again for responding to my message... it sets my mind at ease, and it lets me know that the research I did was right! You've helped me to relax and breathe easier again!
The Following User Says Thank You to dahdahda For This Useful Post:
yaboybe (03-01-2011)
Old 02-18-2011, 05:44 AM

Default Can anyone else confirm this?

I got sentenced to two years probation in federal court yesterday. I really need a job. Is this true that the background checks wouldn't show my felony?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahdahda View Post
Thanks for the info, everybody! I interviewed with 4 different companies last week who were interested in me, and they all said that they would contact me after they got the results of my background check. One of the companies called me this morning and offered me the job, so obviously it must not have shown up!

I actually did a lot of research this past week, and I learned a lot about background checks. There are a lot of companies that perform background checks for fee, and different employers use different services. While the policies differ depending on the company that performs the check (there are a lot of different companies out there doing this), There are different levels of the services; most companies do a state background check, where federal crimes don't show up. Some companies do a national background check, which just checks the database for all the different states, and again, my charge wouldn't show up. Here's what I thought was really interesting: for a federal background check, most companies access a public database that lists info on everyone who has ever served time in a federal prison. Since I got probation, I won't show up there, either. For special security clearance positions, or positions working with children, most companies run an actual FBI background report, and that's the one place where my conviction will show up. Luckily, the jobs I'm qualified for don't involve getting bonded or any high security issues, so it looks like I'm really lucky, and this conviction won't destroy my career, as I thought it would. What a relief!

Thanks again for responding to my message... it sets my mind at ease, and it lets me know that the research I did was right! You've helped me to relax and breathe easier again!
Old 02-18-2011, 10:12 AM

Default What you say about the back ground check are true...butt

I too have a federal felony and I have found that my case does not come up for the state.

That being said, you still have to check yes on the job applications.

We do what we have to do.....until the laws are changed to expunge federal felonies.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:48 PM

Does a Federal Felony conviction show up on a regular background check?

I wanted to let you know that I googled you're "Does a Federal Felony conviction show up on a regular background check? " question and I came across a site that is using what you said on Prison Talk as a "see I told you" way to get employers to sign up with them to do to Federal checks.

cirblog. Wordpress . com / background – screening / issues-in-background-screening/

Just Fyi for you I simply found it disturbing!!!
Old 03-08-2011, 08:20 PM

Default You must of lied on your applications

I know that te background check does not show up on state but you still have to answer the question, ave you been convicted of a felony.

You must be lying.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:18 AM

@lack 10 you must not be a mental giant .....he more than likely didn't mark that no one makes you mark and if you had an idea that your federal felony wouldn't show up .....then he wouldn't have marked it...
Old 09-20-2011, 11:09 AM

?????