Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Legislation & Laws
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Legislation & Laws Discuss and learn about pending legislation or changes in law.

Old 10-04-2004, 08:38 PM
BScoginsgirl1

Default Early Release Law in Texas

I am new to the site and was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about a new law suppose to be comming into effect in Texas for Inmates Early release. Thanks for any help with this question.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2004, 11:15 AM

You should post this in the Texas forum for more info. I know there are a couple things in the works but nothing has been passed for early release as of yet. They are working on good time credits and such. From what I hear it won't be anytime real soon. Sorry I don't have more incouraging news.

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God,
then we will be a nation gone under."
- Ronald Reagan

<script language="JavaScript" src="http://webapps.nerdsonsite.com/utility/countdown.cgi?year=2012&month=2&day=12&offset=-0500"></script> Days until he is eligible for parole
Old 10-05-2004, 12:36 PM
Account Closed

My husband said that rumor is TDC was told to cut back 5% of the popluation due over crowding and that most people coming up for parole who only had a couple of years or so to serve would be getting parole.
Old 10-05-2004, 04:51 PM
BScoginsgirl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace1
You should post this in the Texas forum for more info. I know there are a couple things in the works but nothing has been passed for early release as of yet. They are working on good time credits and such. From what I hear it won't be anytime real soon. Sorry I don't have more incouraging news.
Old 10-05-2004, 04:53 PM
BScoginsgirl1

Thanks so much for your reply. I am really new to this site I fill stupid trying to figure everything out.
Old 10-05-2004, 04:55 PM
BScoginsgirl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jftazzy102
My husband said that rumor is TDC was told to cut back 5% of the popluation due over crowding and that most people coming up for parole who only had a couple of years or so to serve would be getting parole.
Old 10-05-2004, 05:02 PM
BScoginsgirl1

jftazzy102, Thank you for your reply to my question I guess it don't help my boyfriend much since he has only been in prison 4 mos. it seems like a life time everything goes wrong when there gone nothing is the same. He even told me this last week he cannot take the Changes class which your suppose to take to even be eligible for parole the prison told me he has to be two years from his release date. I guess that means he won't be comming home his first parole.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:26 PM
Account Closed

How long did he get when he was sentenced? I still wouldn't give up hope because you never know. I firmly believe that if you believe in GOD that things can happen. Now keep in mind that they might not be what we want them to be, but things will and can happen. Just keep your chin up and stay in here for all the support you can handle. See, we are firmly in this together. All of us are. You know he could still get parole (depending on how long his actually sentence is). What they would do is tell him after you finish x amount of things then you are out. AT least that is what I am finding out in here by listening to the others. Stay strong we are here for you Love Jeanne
Old 10-05-2004, 08:47 PM
I'm his Super She-Ro!!!

That rumor has been running around TDC for years. Sorry to be a wet blanket but in Texas most of the time an inmate will serve at least half of his/her sentence and if's it's an aggravated one it's possible to server even more. Yes it's over crowded and yes people are getting paroled but only after they feel that person has served enough time. Not taken this class or that class really has little impact. If Texas wants an offender removed from society then trust he/she will be removed and removed for a while. 4 months? Try waiting 20 years like I see some of the ladies on here.
<center>Waiting Wives Club Member.... <center><center>To My Husband...Baby, It's a lot of folks doing this but they aint all keepin' it real, we are in 2 different worlds but still, I love and need you and I wont let you go, Itís hard enough being alone I know you're missing me, missing home, rest your head cause you already know that Iím by your side, forever keeping your hopes alive, I know how it feels to cry, you will never be alone in your struggle for life
Old 10-07-2004, 02:34 AM
God made him 4 me 2 LOVE!

Hi All,
Would that be the LERA (learning education reform act)? I know that it's supossed to affect the non-violent offenders currently serving federal prison terms from I believe it's now 51 days good time(not to sure anymore) eligiblility to like 180 days per year. True It has been floating around some time, however it wasn't this known a few years back and chances are it could just pass. I mean people are becoming aware of the issue and I'm sure would rather thier $$ go elsewwhere. Look at the stats.(please don't quote me but not to far off if at all) We spent (or our govmnt.) spent billions of $$ more on building prisons and housing the inmates then they spent housing homeless or building and educating our schools.Political yes smart no--There is a petition on the Nov. Coalition site urging our senate to pass this BILL for the upcomming fiscal year.

Last edited by jmora4me; 10-07-2004 at 02:40 AM..
Old 10-07-2004, 05:14 PM

Hold on to your hope, and most importantly your faith. Somehow things always work out. when my baby got locked up (not his first time down), he wanted to enroll in a vocational program. they said no, he had to wait until he was 2 years from his PRD. Six months later, he was in the program. They said he wouldn't make his first parole, after he finishes IPTC, he'll be on the ground. All this on a 17yr sentence, and he's only been on lock about 2 and 1/2. Every case is different. This may or may not happen for your man. I just want you to have something to hold on to. Pray, and whatever God's will is, may it be done. Just keep your head up, and always pray.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:29 PM

Default Anyone know about early release?!

My son's father, whom I'm still in love with, has recently been arrested by the feds and put in prison. His lawyer says he's looking at 3-5 years. I can't be without him that long and the thought of it tears me up inside. I was wondering if anyone out there knew anything that could help me get him out as early as possible.

Thanks
Heather
Old 07-23-2005, 12:59 PM
Closed

Heather, as far as I know, Federal time doesnt have parole at all. You CAN be without him for as long as you have to be because you love him and you are a strong woman, even though right now you dont feel like it.

Drop down to the Texas forum and say Hi to the Ladies (and couple of gents) there, we'll help you through it.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry porter
Thanks so much for your reply. I am really new to this site I fill stupid trying to figure everything out.
Hi there! You are not alone . I am also new to this site and it took me a bit to figure out how to type a reply in the chat room. I havent figured this out yet either! How did you get your question posted on here? Chilton-Lyons