Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > World Prison News
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

World Prison News Post info (IF it doesn't belong in another PTO forum) about the prison system, prisoner support, criminal justice, etc., that you learn firsthand, through the media, from an inmate, or any other source. News can be local, state, Federal, or int'l.

View Poll Results: Shoud Prisons Ban Smoking in/at their facilities?
No, the inmates are already oppressed enough. 3 20.00%
Yes, why should prisoners be allowed to smoke? They can't drink liquor they shouldn't smoke! Both are legal. 0 0%
No, but they should designate smoking areas and smoking times. 9 60.00%
It's gone a bit too far now, then should NOT BE BANNED AT ALL. 3 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2003, 02:47 PM
The Precious Queen

Exclamation No More Smoking In New York Prisons!

January 5, 2003
As Smoking Ban Hits Jails, It's the Guards Who Worry
By ROBERT F. WORTH

Some inmates in New York City's jails will soon face an additional punishment: no smoking.

Starting in March, the antismoking legislation signed last Monday by Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg will go into effect. It will be applied to jails as well as most bars, restaurants and city-owned buildings, city officials said Thursday.

The plan may be welcomed by those irritated by clouds of secondhand smoke in cellblocks, but some prison guards say removing nicotine from an already tense environment could cause trouble. The move is likely to anger inmates as well as guards, said Capt. Peter Meringolo, the president of the Correction Captains Association, which has 950 members working in the city's jails.

"The inmates do use cigarettes as a form of stress relief," Captain Meringolo said. "I am concerned about their reaction, and I would hope there would be some area where the staff could smoke."

Norman Seabrook, the president of the New York City Correction Officers' Benevolent Association, a union with 10,000 members, said: "I think this will cause officers to have some confrontations with inmates. I think correctional officers have a right to smoke if they want to."

In a statement, the city's Department of Correction commissioner, Martin F. Horn, said city lawyers were still studying the new law, which mentions city-owned buildings but does not specify jails. Another correction official said putting the law into effect would be one of Mr. Horn's top priorities.

The official added that Department of Correction research showed that other cities and towns had banned smoking in jails without any increase in violence. Mr. Horn's intention to carry out the plan was first reported Wednesday in Newsday.

Joey R. Weedon, a spokesman for the American Correctional Association, an industry group, said those bans have not led to any serious violence. "Most correctional agencies haven't had much trouble enforcing smoke-free policies."

Copyright 2003 The New York Times Company | Permissions | Privacy Policy
Old 01-05-2003, 04:59 PM
Register
Donation Award 

I laugh everytime I read some thing like this about second hand smoke in prisons. Maybe they should worry about other things killing the guys, like the State, food, the enviorment, the dirt and I can't imagine how many things growing in there.
I would think second hand smoke is the least of their worries.

softie
Old 01-05-2003, 05:30 PM
Donation Award 

I agree with you Softie!
Old 01-06-2003, 07:55 AM

I agree with you softie and btw it is so good to see you
Happy New Year!xo
Old 01-06-2003, 08:29 AM
Been here forever

I totally agree.
Old 01-19-2003, 02:56 AM
my scotchy!

I was incarcerated in California's las Calinas and I was not allowed to smoke. I was awaiting extradition to Ohio. I could not wait to get to my county jail to smoke only to find out they went non-smoking a month prior. I now joke that I wish I could do three days in jail to quit smoking again! However, it's no joking matter. Prisoner's need to smoke if they are smoker's. There is nothing worse than withdrawling from nicotine or other things in an already tense enviroment. People joke about smoker's being crankie when quitting. Prisons not a good place to be crankie!

Tekela
Old 01-19-2003, 08:25 AM

i think they should be allowed to smoke but in designated areas so as to not infringe on the inmates that don't smoke and don't want to be around smoke

margaret mead

ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE
Old 01-19-2003, 11:47 AM

Colinas is NO SMOKING???? geezum crow...I had a girlfriend in there not too long ago and she was smoking up a storm in and out of the cell. How wierd...Tekela, when were you there?

Las Colinas is wierd like that though, they're not state, they're county so that might be why...I know that when a friend of mine was in county in SD he couldn't smoke, but I didn't know that Colinas was non smoking. They have really odd rules out there too...something about not wearing the color red because of it's ability to hide blood if someone gets hurt? Maybe that ones not an active rule but it was a while back.
Old 01-20-2003, 01:44 AM
my scotchy!

Soul Sliver,

I was there in 1991. They were weird when I was there too! you could not wear red then either but, maroon did not count as they had blue, green and maroon uniforms. Maroon is red all day and looks more like blood. I found their whole jail system weird they had a pool for trustee's and I had never heard of people getting three years in the county until there. Three years in Las Colinas would be worse than five in a prison. However they had great commisary for a jail make-up, curlers all kind of crap, My county jail in Ohio only offers candy bars and writting paper and stamps. Candy bars were rationed one per day. commissary actually made me miss las colinas. LOL

Tekela
Closed Thread