Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > WISCONSIN > Wisconsin Prison and Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Wisconsin Prison and Jail Specific Discussions This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of Wisconsin.

Old 06-17-2015, 10:38 AM

Default WI Dodge Correctional

I am new here! Just looking for people to share experiences with that have recently been through a loved one in DCI. My fiance was just transferred there yesterday! I am needing all the help and support I can get. Any info or anything will help. Thank you in advance!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alliekaye19 View Post
I am new here! Just looking for people to share experiences with that have recently been through a loved one in DCI. My fiance was just transferred there yesterday! I am needing all the help and support I can get. Any info or anything will help. Thank you in advance!!!
My LO was recently there for almost 13 weeks for A&E. First of all, don't panic if you do not hear from him for a couple of days. During the initial days of intake they are not allowed to make any phone calls.

While at DCI he will be going through A&E - Assessment and Evaluation. This process will include medical, dental, eye and psychological exams. In addition, he will be assigned to a staffing agent who will meet with him to do a COMPAS assessment which is a tool the WI DOC (and other states) use to determine the programs he might need to take while serving his time (i.e. AODA, anger management, vocational training, etc ...) and also what type of a facility he should be placed in - i.e. minimum, medium, maximum. Keep in mind that some of these things are already determined based on the charges against him. For example, some charges automatically require a guy to be placed in a medium security facility even though his assessment scores may indicate that he is of no threat to the community.

During his first several days at DCI he will be very restricted on what he can do. He will be allowed one scheduled 15 minute phone call per day and a 5 minute shower several times per week. After he gets through this initial period he will most likely be moved to the barracks.

The barracks are large open rooms with bunks around the perimeter. The barracks contain a day room with tables and a tv, bathrooms, a shower room and phones. The day room is open from about 8:00 AM until 8:30 PM - except before and after meal times when the room is prepped and cleaned for meals. A lot of guys don't care for the barracks at first because they can be quite loud, but many quickly come to appreciate the flexibility available. The showers are available several hours each day and they can shower every day. They can watch TV and they can use the phones anytime the day room is open. In addition, he can choose to go to the library once per month and they have rec time several times each week. If the weather is nice they go outside where there is a walking track and a lot of guys will play a game of softball.

I hope this helps put your mind at ease a bit. If you have specific questions, please feel free to ask.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:51 PM

Thank you so much! Where is your LO now? If you dont mind me asking. I had an idea of the process. I guess i am just looking for others going through this for support. Long road is ahead and i am scared out of my mind! I just want the A&E to be over so i can visit. I know the judge had stated he is eligible for the substance abuse program and the CIP. So we shall see what they determine during the assessment.
Old 06-17-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Thank you so much! Where is your LO now? If you dont mind me asking. I had an idea of the process. I guess i am just looking for others going through this for support. Long road is ahead and i am scared out of my mind! I just want the A&E to be over so i can visit. I know the judge had stated he is eligible for the substance abuse program and the CIP. So we shall see what they determine during the assessment.
My LO moved to Fox Lake almost two weeks ago. I know it's a very stressful time, but stay strong. A&E is going to take a while so in the meantime you might want to look into getting your phone setup for phone calls. The WI DOC uses Securus Technologies for inmates to make outgoing calls. Also, you can look up his DOC # and start writing immediately. He will love the letters and it will help you stay connected to him as well.

We can all help each other get through this!
Old 06-17-2015, 02:29 PM

I just mailed a letter today. I was on the ball and had my securus account all set up with money on it so that it would be waiting for his call. I need to mail out a money order also. Do you know how much they may need? They cant really order any clothes and such yet can they? How long is your LO in for?
Old 06-17-2015, 05:52 PM

While in A&E they order up to $20 per week (before taxes) from the canteen. They can't order any clothes or misc items like radio while in A&E. You also can't send any books while in A&E. He's going to want to order some toiletries because they only provide the very basics when they arrive. He's probably also going to want to order some food and or drinks to supplement what he gets for meals. Prices on their canteen sheet aren't too bad and there's actually quite a bit he can choose from.

My LO has three years. Every day is one step closer to him coming home.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:58 AM

AHHHH i am getting anxious!! I have done so well until today. This is the longest we have ever gone without seeing eachother and speaking! I am ready for him to get his phone call. Do you know if i am not available to answer will he get to try at a different time?
Old 06-19-2015, 10:13 AM

Waiting for that first phone call is so hard. I am not entirely sure what happens when they are finally allowed that first phone call and the person they call isn't available. I was glued to my phone waiting for that call, but I know that isn't always an option. I do know that once they are through the first couple of days and are moved to a different area they can sign up each day for a specific 15 phone call slot. A guy comes around with a signup sheet and your LO can sign up for a specific time slot. The only issue is that the "prime" time slots usually get filled up first. Hang in there - you will get that call!!
Old 06-19-2015, 10:32 AM

Oh believe me I have had my phone available as much as possible. And as long as we can kinda have an idea of a time i will make sure i am available to speak when he calls. I am ready for this whole nightmare to be over. 21 months at most. I am hoping he will get a decent placement or spots open for the ERP programs.
Old 06-20-2015, 06:02 AM

He called last night!! Made my day!!! I was sooo happy!!! He was just moved to the dungen?
Old 06-20-2015, 06:21 AM

Hi girls! I'm new to this chat my man just got transfer to TDC in Abiline tx just here to make friends and get some more information about this place.
Old 06-20-2015, 04:23 PM

Quote:
He called last night!! Made my day!!! I was sooo happy!!! He was just moved to the dungen?
GREAT NEWS!!! That first phone call is the best! I am not sure what he means by the dungeon - perhaps he is talking about the area they are moved to after the first couple of days of intake. I know that my LO said that after intake the place he was moved to he was only out for meals, showers and phone calls. He spent about a week there before being moved to the barracks.
Old 06-20-2015, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiNa817 View Post
Hi girls! I'm new to this chat my man just got transfer to TDC in Abiline tx just here to make friends and get some more information about this place.
Hello! I am sure you will find lots of support on the forum. It always helps to talk to people that are going through the same type of thing. You may want to check the Texas regional forum if you have specific questions about facilities in Texas.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:31 AM

Hi! How are you holding up???
Old 06-22-2015, 09:32 AM

He said they now get to have one 15 minute phone call daily! That was great news! I dont know if that will change at some point or not but i will take whatever he can get! Hows your LO at Fox valley? Mine seems to be doing ok. He was excited about the ice cream they got yesterday! He is roomed with someone in for attempted murder and heroin trafficking! That does not make me feel good but what can you do! LOL
Old 06-22-2015, 09:33 AM

And do you know for the visitor list. Can his niece who is 25 count as a family member?
Old 06-22-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
He said they now get to have one 15 minute phone call daily! That was great news! I dont know if that will change at some point or not but i will take whatever he can get! Hows your LO at Fox valley? Mine seems to be doing ok. He was excited about the ice cream they got yesterday! He is roomed with someone in for attempted murder and heroin trafficking! That does not make me feel good but what can you do! LOL
It's great when they make it through the initial intake and then can make one 15 minute phone call every day. This is the one that they will come around and have him sign up for a time slot to make the call. Your LO may not be with that roommate for long. They seem to move guys around a lot. After initial intake (the first couple of days) my LO had three different roommates over the course of about a week. Guys get moved around quite a bit. Sometimes it's because they get moved to the barracks to make room for new guys, sometimes it's because guys request to be moved, etc..

My LO was moved to the barracks after about a week. If your LO is moved to the barracks he won't be limited to the number of phone calls he can make every day. The phones are available anytime they day room is open (basically 8:00 AM until 8:30 PM - except when it is closed to prepare for meals and clean up after meals and for count) and sometimes he may have to wait in line to use them.

I know it's a shock the first time you hear them mention that a guy they are rooming with is in for attempted murder, etc... but he will be fine. Most of the guys are just there to put in their time. One thing my LO ran into was that some guys like to be the loudmouths or act like the "class bully" - he just ignored them. The CO's keep an eye on things and are quick to recognize the guys that cause problems and take appropriate action.

My LO is doing really well at Fox Lake. He said days are passing more quickly now that he doesn't have the stress of wondering when he will be staffed and where he will be staffed hanging over him. He is also enjoying listening to the radio again and being able to decide what he wants to watch on TV. He also loves being able to go outside anytime during the day to get fresh air and just hang out.

I know it's hard to believe right now, but it does get easier. Savor those daily phone calls - they are the best!
Old 06-22-2015, 10:03 AM

Quote:
And do you know for the visitor list. Can his niece who is 25 count as a family member?
Are you referring to his visitor list while he is at Dodge in A&E? If so, the only people that can be approved for visits while he is A&E are immediate family - parents, step-parents, siblings, spouse, grandparents, grandchildren and children. Once is in GP (general population) he can have up to 12 people on his approved visitor list - it's not restricted to immediate family. He will have to get visitor forms (available in his unit) complete his portion and mail them to the people that he wants to put on his visitor list. The visitor has to complete their portion and mail it back to the facility address on the form. Then the facility has to process the forms. Once a visitor has been approved your LO will be notified and it will be up to him to let you know that you have been approved. At Fox Lake it is currently taking 6-8 weeks for visitors to be approved. UGH!!!
Old 06-22-2015, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Hi! How are you holding up???
Hanging in there. Enjoying the phone calls while I wait to be approved to visit! Hoping that the approval process goes more quickly than they are currently estimating.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:06 AM

OMG 6-8 weeks is nuts!!!!! Have you gotten to go yet?
Old 06-22-2015, 10:07 AM

Just saw this! NO you have not been approved yet! I hope it doesnt take that long wherever he is going. Or hopefully I can get in on his list before he leave Dodge atleast once!
Old 06-24-2015, 04:16 PM

UGGG frustrated! First i mailed my son's visitor forms to wrong damn place. Now gotta wait for those to come back. And then he was calling every day and he didnt call yesterday. I waited by phone all damn day. And nothing yet today!!!
Old 06-24-2015, 07:58 PM

I know it's frustrating when you don't get the call you were expecting - keep in mind that sometimes things happen and they simply aren't able to call even though they want to. Also, not sure how much money you put on your Securas phone account, but if the balance gets too low (less than would cover a 15 minute call) the system won't let them make a call. One thing I did was set up my Securas account to notify me when my account balance gets below a certain amount to ensure that my LO always has money on his account.

Hope you get a call soon! Hang in there!
Old 07-06-2015, 05:51 PM

When do you know when they are out of A&E or in barracks?
Old 07-06-2015, 05:57 PM

They are out of A&E when they are staffed - meaning moved to their "home" location. As long as they are at Dodge they are in A&E.