Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NORTH CAROLINA
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

NORTH CAROLINA Topics and conversations dealing with the State of North Carolina - Department of Corrections, Criminal Justice System, Prisoner & Family Support, News & Information, etc.

Old 09-25-2004, 02:52 AM

Question chain of command?

If I cannot get satisfaction from the superintendent, where do I call/write next? I would appreciate the numbers to Lenoir (Regional?) and Raleigh. My concerns are regarding Lincoln Correctional Facility. Thank you in advance for any assistance.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2004, 08:26 PM

Default Lincoln Correctional Facility

Quote:
Originally Posted by redslady
If I cannot get satisfaction from the superintendent, where do I call/write next? I would appreciate the numbers to Lenoir (Regional?) and Raleigh. My concerns are regarding Lincoln Correctional Facility. Thank you in advance for any assistance.
The North Carolina Department of Correction has many different operations. One of the operations is termed the "Division of Prisons." Examples of other operations in the hierarchy include the Division of Alcohol and Chemical Dependency Programs, Correction Enterprises and Legislative Affairs. The Secretary of Correction is Theodis Beck. Mr. John Crow, the administrator of Lincoln Correctional Facility reports to the head of of the Division of Prisons, Boyd Bennett. Mr. Bennett reports to Chief Deputy Secretary Dan Stieneke. Secretary Stieneke reports to Secretary of Correction Theodis Beck.

Secretary Beck is responsible for one of the largest departments in state government. The Department of Correction employs over 18,000 people statewide. The annual operating budget is nearly $900 million and the department is responsible for more than 36,000 inmates and 116,000 probationers and parolees.
Compare that information to these facts:
*Wachovia Corp. employs over 17,000 in Mecklenburg County, NC.
*Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools employ 16,000 in Mecklenburg County, NC
*Bank of America employs 14,000 in Mecklenburg County, NC
*US Airways employs 7,000 in Mecklenburg County, NC
*Number of police officers in the New York City Police Dept. 39,110.
Yes, 39,110
*Number of police officers in Charlotte-Mecklenburg, NC = 1,900
*Cost to run Wake County, NC. Not Raleigh or the others cities in the county - just the county will be $746.86 million dollars for 2005.
*Cost to run Mecklenburg County, NC. Not Charlotte or the other cities in the county - just the county will be $1.1 billion dollars for 2005. Yes, billion.
*Number of undergraduate, graduate and professional students at Duke University in 2004 = 11,700
*Number of employees of Duke University and Duke Medical Center = 16,000
*Cost of new arena in downtown Charlotte, NC = $268 million dollars
*Net worth of Bill Gates according to Forbes = $48 billion dollars.
*Permanent seats at Lowe's Motor Speedway in Concord, NC = 167,000
*Capacity of the infield at Lowe's Motor Speedway in Concord, NC = 41,000
*Total number that can be crammed into Lowe's Motor Speedway = 208,000
*Total number of inmates in the Federal Bureau of Prisons = 152,885
*Total number of inmates in privately managed Federal Prisons = 11,675
*Total number of inmates in contract facilities Federal Prisons = 15,553
*Total number of inmates in the Federal Bureau of Prisons = 180,113
*Capacity of "Camp Cupcake," Alderson Federal Prison, WV = 1042
*Martha Stewart's age = 63

Lincoln Correctional Facility
John Crow, Administrator
464 Roper DR
Lincolnton NC 28092
Phone 704-735-0485
|
|
V
Reports to
|
|
V
Division of Prisons
John Crow
North Carolina Department of Correction
4202 Mail Service Center

Raleigh NC 27699-4202
Phone 919-838-4000
|
|
V
Reports to
|
|
V
Chief Deputy Secretary Dan Stieneke
4202 Mail Service Center

Raleigh NC 27699-4202
Phone 919-716-3700
|
|
V
Reports to
|
|
V
Secretary of Correction Theodis Beck
4202 Mail Service Center

Raleigh NC 27699-4202

Phone 919-716-3700
|
|
V
Reports to
|
|
V
Governor Mike Easley (Democrat)

The North Carolina Division of Prisons "Mail Service Center" in Raleigh, NC is actually at 831 West Morgan Street. Due to the large volume of mail received and large number of employees working on site, the "Mail Service Center" address is used.

The North Carolina Department of Correction, Correction Enterprises and many other divisions are actually located at 2020 Yonkers Road in Raleigh, NC. Correction Enterprises even has a showroom there. Everything from printed items to furniture to jumpsuits can be viewed there. Businesses and other government agencies are encouraged to purchase from Correction Enterprises.

Due to the busy schedule and large volume of phone calls received, phoning generally results in a dead-end. A well written letter with each point clearly and concisely outlined generally gets attention. Emotions, rather than facts will discount any acceptable points you may attempt to make. Ultimately, be as specific as possible about the issue(s).

Please feel free to contact me if you want more information or want me to proofread or review any letter(s) you may write.

Regards,
concaqromex
Old 09-29-2004, 09:50 PM
Making US stronger!!
Donation Award 

Wow.... thanks conquormex... Redslady I had all the info. saved for you and was going to post the numbers and addresses but as I said my puter crashed and I lost everything.... although my post wasnt as informative as the one you received, I had found the numbers.... hope you get somewhere with the information... best of luck to you.....

Kelly
Old 11-01-2004, 08:34 AM
Banned

Hi there, I know I'm kinda late on this, but I had to answer on this as well. When it comes to the chain of command, one thing you might want to keep in mind is sometimes when it is pre-determined who to contact, it is also set up to keep all such situations "under the roof". I went through this myself when I was at several camps, and the perfect example of this is the inmate grievance procedure. The ideal way of finding solutions to problems is to be able to get in touch with someone who has some authority and is also sympathetic and fair with your complaint. That sounds simple,but trust me, that is not always the case. Inmates can share hundreds of examples of where the prison always defends their own, even if they are wrong.

In this case, by all means use the information given about whom to contact; it under most circumstances should help. But always keep "aces" in your sleeve. By that I mean find outside influences to contact, just in case. If all your contact are under the prison system, this can be a disadvantage because the prison then has more control over this problem than you think. Again, this is why the grievance procedure for inmates is not nearly as effective as it should be, because the prison keeps these problems, "under the roof". This allows for the runarounds that prisons are quite famous for.

It is very possible that the first person you contact may be of great help to you, or the second. I am not saying that no one in DOC will help because that would not be true. But don't place all your faith in DOC to answer DOC problems because there might be a reason why these problems keep going on..maybe it is because DOC fails to address them correctly. If that happens you will find yourself spinning your wheels or getting blank answers. When that happens, you need outside sources like elected officials or lawyers or civil organizations or churches to voice their concern. Understand the strongest point of your concerns is accountability. If the prison feels no accountability, they will not give you honest answers nor will they properly address your concerns. If however, they know they are accountable for their actions, I guarantee they will make sure your problems are solved.