Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Other Federal Prisons
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Federal Prisons All Federal prisons that are not listed in their own category.

Old 08-30-2004, 02:35 PM

Default Hi! Here's some info on MCC Chicago.

Hi! I just wanted to introduce myself to the IL forum. My name is Allison and my fiance, Terry, is at the MCC Chicago. It has come to my attention that there are not a lot of people on here whos loved ones are in the MCC Chicago and Roger's girl suggested that I might provide a little info on the place.

The Metropolitan Correctional Center (aka MCC Chicago) is located in downtown Chicago and is a 27 floor federal maximum/administrative facility that houses both men and women. Since it is an administrative facility it has the capabilities to house all sorts of inmates (i.e. those with medical problems, or people who are waiting on sentencing.) My Terry has been there for the past five months waiting on his sentence. He said that a majority of the guys on his floor are not serving their sentence there either-they are just waiting for their sentencing too. The only way somebody would be likely to serve their entire sentence there would be if it were really short. At least that's what I'm told.

I don't have a lot of information on the place, but I'll tell you what I have learned in the past five months. Terry said that the correctional officers are really awful. They are on a constant power trip and do everything they can to push the inmates over the edge. My personal experience-yeah, those CO's aren't the nicest bunch of folks. Once they get to know you they aren't so bad, not real friendly, but they aren't bad. But all that really matters is how they treat the inmates, and from what my fiance tells me, the treatment stinks! He said that the inmates aren't the problem, the CO's are!

The facility has visiting hours every day. It just depends on what floor you're on. For instance, Terry's visiting days are for 3 hours every friday and 3 hours every other Sunday. An inmate can only have 3 visitors in a day. They are only allowed 12 people on their visiting list. The visiting room holds a little over a hundred people. Throughout the visiting room are groups of plastic chairs, usually there are 3 attached to each other that face another group of 3. Ladies, you have to sit across from your man. And no touching! You can give them a kiss and a hug when they come in, and then again when they leave, but for the duration of the visit it's hands off. We sneak and hold hands though when the CO's aren't watching. The inmates are not allowed to get out of their seat the entire visit. If the visiting room is full and more people need to come in, then you are asked to leave. Oh yeah, a floor can "win" an extra day of visiting if their floor is the cleanest!

Let's see..what else..

They have 300 minutes a month to use on the phone. The phone calls are limited to 15 minutes and after they make one phone call they have to wait at least 30 minutes before making another call. They can put money from their commissary on a phone account so they don't have to call collect. Terry said that the commissary is not very well stocked, but he gets enough snacks and stuff to get him by because the food is really nasty. He pretty much lives off of granola bars and oatmeal.

They recieve mail Monday through Thursday. Usually they are really good about getting the mail to the inmates in a timely manner, but lately Terry might not recieve a letter from me all week and then that next Monday recieve all of them. As far as sending things to the inmate-there is not much you can send. You can mail pictures just as long as they are not polaroids. Also, no nude pictures. You can send as many "fun" pictures as you want, just make sure you have at least a g-string on! I don't think there is a limit on the number of pictures you can send, whenever I send pictures I always send a ton. All books, magazines, etc. must be sent by the publisher.

Wow, I just noticed how long this thread is! Maybe somebody will find this thread to be at least a little informative, if not well, I appreciate the opportunity to vent! If anybody has any questions about the MCC, or if you have a loved one there, please feel free to PM me. I may know the answer, and if not then I will do my best to find it out!

I might as well keep going since this is probably the longest thread ever! I just wanted to say that PTO has been such an inspiration and help to me these past couple of months. I don't post much, but just to be able to read what other women in my position are going through really helps when I start to feel down about Terry being gone. My heart and prayers go out to those people whos loved ones are away for long amounts of time. It feels like Terry has been gone for forever but I know that one day he will be home and we can get on with our lives! I'm not sure when Terry will be coming home, sooner rather then later I hope, but his sentencing has been postponed (again). He took a plea on a felony drug charge that puts him serving anywhere from time served (a miracle) to five years. I hate mandatory minimums!! Realistically he is looking at being away two years. However, in light of the Blakely case there is a chance that he could be home waaaaaaaay sooner then two years if the govt. will give him a new plea. That definitly is a long shot and would take a miracle... so I ask for all your prayers in the next few weeks to bring my baby home! If he has to serve time at least he go to a minimum camp hopefully closer to home and get the heck out of the MCC!

Thanks for letting me get all that off my chest! You all are beautiful!

Hugs!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nashvilletn For This Useful Post:
Bigglez (11-03-2015), Heartstrings (10-20-2012), Here...Waiting (08-20-2009), penpal_GER (05-29-2013)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2004, 04:21 PM
WINNING! Admin

PTOQ Editorial Team Member 

Donation Award 

Thanked 37,799 Times in 10,455 Posts

Welcome to PTO and the great Illinois forum. I'm glad you've joined us!!! Thanks so much for sharing the info I am sure it will be invaluable to our members.

Patty

THIS CORRESPONDENCE
IS FROM A WOMAN IN LOVE
WITH A FORMER INMATE OF
THE ILLINOIS DEPARTMENT
OF CORRECTIONS

Old 08-30-2004, 05:01 PM

Thank you so much. That is exactly what I was hoping for !!! We havent gotten a lot of info on MCC in the past and I really appreciate you taking the time.

Hope to see you around !
Old 08-16-2007, 05:03 PM

Default MCC Chicago

Thank you very much I am getting sentenced on Sept 06,2007 and will be taken into custody that day then will be in MCC until my designation and I am transferred to whatever prison they send me, I have heard nothing but horror stories about MCC and you made me feel alot better so thank you again, Beau
Old 10-15-2007, 07:20 PM

Default thanks for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvilletn
Hi! I just wanted to introduce myself to the IL forum. My name is Allison and my fiance, Terry, is at the MCC Chicago. It has come to my attention that there are not a lot of people on here whos loved ones are in the MCC Chicago and Roger's girl suggested that I might provide a little info on the place.

The Metropolitan Correctional Center (aka MCC Chicago) is located in downtown Chicago and is a 27 floor federal maximum/administrative facility that houses both men and women. Since it is an administrative facility it has the capabilities to house all sorts of inmates (i.e. those with medical problems, or people who are waiting on sentencing.) My Terry has been there for the past five months waiting on his sentence. He said that a majority of the guys on his floor are not serving their sentence there either-they are just waiting for their sentencing too. The only way somebody would be likely to serve their entire sentence there would be if it were really short. At least that's what I'm told.

I don't have a lot of information on the place, but I'll tell you what I have learned in the past five months. Terry said that the correctional officers are really awful. They are on a constant power trip and do everything they can to push the inmates over the edge. My personal experience-yeah, those CO's aren't the nicest bunch of folks. Once they get to know you they aren't so bad, not real friendly, but they aren't bad. But all that really matters is how they treat the inmates, and from what my fiance tells me, the treatment stinks! He said that the inmates aren't the problem, the CO's are!

The facility has visiting hours every day. It just depends on what floor you're on. For instance, Terry's visiting days are for 3 hours every friday and 3 hours every other Sunday. An inmate can only have 3 visitors in a day. They are only allowed 12 people on their visiting list. The visiting room holds a little over a hundred people. Throughout the visiting room are groups of plastic chairs, usually there are 3 attached to each other that face another group of 3. Ladies, you have to sit across from your man. And no touching! You can give them a kiss and a hug when they come in, and then again when they leave, but for the duration of the visit it's hands off. We sneak and hold hands though when the CO's aren't watching. The inmates are not allowed to get out of their seat the entire visit. If the visiting room is full and more people need to come in, then you are asked to leave. Oh yeah, a floor can "win" an extra day of visiting if their floor is the cleanest!

Let's see..what else..

They have 300 minutes a month to use on the phone. The phone calls are limited to 15 minutes and after they make one phone call they have to wait at least 30 minutes before making another call. They can put money from their commissary on a phone account so they don't have to call collect. Terry said that the commissary is not very well stocked, but he gets enough snacks and stuff to get him by because the food is really nasty. He pretty much lives off of granola bars and oatmeal.

They recieve mail Monday through Thursday. Usually they are really good about getting the mail to the inmates in a timely manner, but lately Terry might not recieve a letter from me all week and then that next Monday recieve all of them. As far as sending things to the inmate-there is not much you can send. You can mail pictures just as long as they are not polaroids. Also, no nude pictures. You can send as many "fun" pictures as you want, just make sure you have at least a g-string on! I don't think there is a limit on the number of pictures you can send, whenever I send pictures I always send a ton. All books, magazines, etc. must be sent by the publisher.

Wow, I just noticed how long this thread is! Maybe somebody will find this thread to be at least a little informative, if not well, I appreciate the opportunity to vent! If anybody has any questions about the MCC, or if you have a loved one there, please feel free to PM me. I may know the answer, and if not then I will do my best to find it out!

I might as well keep going since this is probably the longest thread ever! I just wanted to say that PTO has been such an inspiration and help to me these past couple of months. I don't post much, but just to be able to read what other women in my position are going through really helps when I start to feel down about Terry being gone. My heart and prayers go out to those people whos loved ones are away for long amounts of time. It feels like Terry has been gone for forever but I know that one day he will be home and we can get on with our lives! I'm not sure when Terry will be coming home, sooner rather then later I hope, but his sentencing has been postponed (again). He took a plea on a felony drug charge that puts him serving anywhere from time served (a miracle) to five years. I hate mandatory minimums!! Realistically he is looking at being away two years. However, in light of the Blakely case there is a chance that he could be home waaaaaaaay sooner then two years if the govt. will give him a new plea. That definitly is a long shot and would take a miracle... so I ask for all your prayers in the next few weeks to bring my baby home! If he has to serve time at least he go to a minimum camp hopefully closer to home and get the heck out of the MCC!

Thanks for letting me get all that off my chest! You all are beautiful!

Hugs!
Thanks so much for the info, my brother was just sent to MCC Chicago and I'm soooooooooooo scared of what he's going through.
My prayers are with you!

Carla
Old 10-20-2007, 07:08 PM

Default Mcc Chicago!!!

My brother just called to let us know he is ok. He said that people who just arrive there can't call home right away because they need to get approval for the phone numbers they'll calling. Comparing this place to Indiana in Valparaiso , he said it was much better. The food was a little better and the things they can get from the comisary are cheaper .
Phone service is fair and visits won't be granted until we fill out and return a form.
Thanks for the people who replied it was so much relief to hear from you experiences.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:10 PM
Forever and a day!

Welcome to PTO!!!!!

Life is too short for drama & petty things,
so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly

Old 04-14-2009, 11:44 AM

Thumbs up

Hello everyone, i am new to the site, my boyfriend was just sent to mcc and the info i've read has been most helpful.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:16 PM

hey all-- My husband has been at Mcc Chicago for 105 days ya that's 3 and a half moths... thankfully he'll be home on the 25th of Sept!! Yay! I first read this thread the day he was transported to Chicago... I was searching for information on the place that would keep my husband for the 5 months of his sentence... I found this thread and to be honest it scared the heck outta me! It was made out to sound like an awful place where the guards try to get the people to screw up and that definitely wasn't what my hubby needed... He has a bit of a temper when pushed lol.... but our experience has been nothing like that.... They let him work 8 hours a day Mon thru Fri to keep him busy and that helps time go by faster... of course the weekends feel long cuz of no work but ya know lol.... the information is correct in the post but the opinion of the guards i think is very miss leading... This has showed me that you can't always believe others opinions.... The guards have treated my Dave well of course there are always a few bad apples in the bowl but for the most part he IS treated well by the employees at MCC. He complains mostly of all the crying many of the other inmates do about being locked up LOL Of course it's not a day camp.... there are rules to be followed and most important to remember there is a reason for each and every one of our loved ones being there even if we don't think its a fair or good reason. My husband has proven that if you respect others you can get along and be respected and if you knew my husband you'd understand the significance of that.... he is very defiant and bull headed and can't stand to be disrespected or treated like less than he is.... so for him to handle 31/2 months with not so much as a write up speaks volumes about this institution in my eyes.... So to anyone who has a loved one there or headed there don't worry like i did the guards aren't that bad and they don't set people up to fail. I guess prison like life is what the individual makes of it. I hope i haven't insulted anyone and wish everyone the best.

Last edited by Here...Waiting; 08-10-2009 at 10:18 PM.. Reason: spell check
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Here...Waiting For This Useful Post:
Bigglez (11-03-2015), likeurbike (11-23-2009), mstammyt (10-05-2012)
Old 10-10-2011, 08:49 AM

Default phew!

I thought mcc was going to be a total nightmare expecially since my hubby hasn't called me. But then again he just got there about 4 days ago. I haven't heard from him since my phone doesnt accept collect calls but hopefully the money i sent him can help him put money on his phone account. I didn't know the phone numbers had to be approved. and i'm probably going to miss his visiting day since i haven't received any form to fill out yet. This has alleviated some of my stress. thanks
Old 10-05-2012, 05:19 AM

Default Worried Mama

Thank you so much for the possitive information..

My son has been through so much already. He spent a month and a half in our local jail, the feds took him down to Leavenworth for a month it took over a week to figure out where he was.. that was one scarey week, not being able able to locate him. I had no idea that he wasnt a bop inmate yet and no one seemed to care if I knew where he was or not. During his classifications he was in the Marshalls Detention Center and I guess thats not part of the Fed BOP system. So every time I tried to locate him all I could find was in transit. A week later he was allowed to make a free 30 second call through Securus and I was able to set up a phone account for him to call me. The calls there were also different than what I read about the bop. Securus calls have a huge connection fee and then .40 a minute after that.

Ok..two weeks ago my son was told his designation would be FPC Duluth.

I got a call Tuesday morning from my sons roomie stating that my son boarded a large bus last night with men going to several different prisons all over the north central region, so I have been plugging his name into the locate a prisoner area. First two days said "in transit" now it says MCC Chicago??

I made a couple calls and no one can tell me why he is there, if its a hub where they drop off all the men to go seperate directions or if his designation was changed.. I have no clue whats going on.. And the Feds act like its a big secret ;(

So I turn to the internet to see what I can learn. The first post had me in tears. But this one made me feel a little better, So I wanted to take a minuted to say Thank You..
One Scared Mama..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Here...Waiting View Post
hey all-- My husband has been at Mcc Chicago for 105 days ya that's 3 and a half moths... thankfully he'll be home on the 25th of Sept!! Yay! I first read this thread the day he was transported to Chicago... I was searching for information on the place that would keep my husband for the 5 months of his sentence... I found this thread and to be honest it scared the heck outta me! It was made out to sound like an awful place where the guards try to get the people to screw up and that definitely wasn't what my hubby needed... He has a bit of a temper when pushed lol.... but our experience has been nothing like that.... They let him work 8 hours a day Mon thru Fri to keep him busy and that helps time go by faster... of course the weekends feel long cuz of no work but ya know lol.... the information is correct in the post but the opinion of the guards i think is very miss leading... This has showed me that you can't always believe others opinions.... The guards have treated my Dave well of course there are always a few bad apples in the bowl but for the most part he IS treated well by the employees at MCC. He complains mostly of all the crying many of the other inmates do about being locked up LOL Of course it's not a day camp.... there are rules to be followed and most important to remember there is a reason for each and every one of our loved ones being there even if we don't think its a fair or good reason. My husband has proven that if you respect others you can get along and be respected and if you knew my husband you'd understand the significance of that.... he is very defiant and bull headed and can't stand to be disrespected or treated like less than he is.... so for him to handle 31/2 months with not so much as a write up speaks volumes about this institution in my eyes.... So to anyone who has a loved one there or headed there don't worry like i did the guards aren't that bad and they don't set people up to fail. I guess prison like life is what the individual makes of it. I hope i haven't insulted anyone and wish everyone the best.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:35 PM

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 5,200 Times in 2,543 Posts

The transfer period can take some time. During the transfer process you will see "in transit" until your LO arrives at a Federal facility. You won't see where he's at if they stop over at a county jail, etc. Just keep watching the inmate locator. Hopefully it will update with a facility name soon.

Hang in there!
Old 08-11-2014, 11:03 PM
Donation Award 

Thanks so so much, my partner will probably wind up landing at MCC and this is super useful info
Old 11-03-2015, 12:26 PM

Default MCC Chicago

I made my entrance to the MCC and right off the bat I was nerve wrecked. Do keep in mind I was 24 years old and it was my first (and only) time ever being in any kind of trouble. Yeah, there were a couple guys giving me crap right off of the bat, but nothing I couldn't shake off. At least, as far as they could tell LOL. I had gotten pretty good at not showing my feelings by the time I had arrived there. But to make a long post short; the food sucks although commissary is not bad, I can't tell you much about visits or phone calls because I never really got to make any, just 2 or maybe 3 that I can remember. The other inmates actually weren't too bad, as long as you are respectful you will get that respect back. I was one of 3 white people on my floor. I was always told that going up to Chicago, I need to stick to "my own kind". Such an ignorant statement I know, but by the time I had left I only talked to one of the white guys there lol. The inmates treated me pretty well. They were more friendly than I though an inmate would be. The staff however, they do not care too much about inmates. And yes, I know that prison isn't supposed to be luxurious and all, but these guys were just completely rude. The unnecessary kind of rude. Where you just kind of go out of your way to be a pain in the A$$. But not all staff were like that, really just the CO's. The higher up ranked guys were friendly. We had one CO that did nothing but sleep his whole shift. He was also one of the huge pains in the A$$ whenever he was awake. One time during count he locked us up and then fell asleep. We sat in our cells for a very long time. We ate dinner like somewhere around 2 hours late. Food is crappy, but a lot worse when it's cold. There were a lot of shady people in there but now a days, that's everywhere. To sum this up though, for all you people with loved ones out there, it's not the worst thing your loved ones will be through, I promise. If I made it, I promise your loved ones have a great chance. Trust me, I'm a head case ha-ha!! Prayers out to all of you folks and your loved ones. Stay strong. If I could give any advice to you guys, I would say to let your loved ones not think, but know you are fine and all will be well until they get home. I know that you guys do the time just as we do, and honestly I believe it is harder for you guys because you have more going on along with your concerns for your loved ones. Just try your best to make them feel that you are fine. Love you all and God bless all of you!!!! P.S. If any of you on here are from the southern part of Illinois, please let me know.
Old 11-03-2015, 12:37 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 16,045 Times in 9,731 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk and the federal forums. Thank you for sharing your MCC Chicago experiences too.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:52 PM

Default New to mcc

Hello when was just put here in mcc from Stateville I'm so confused I don't know what to do I'm trying to figure out how the situation goes to switch from state to Federal I'm aware that my Securus account will no longer work which phone company do I use for federal cases I'm basically kind of lost with the Federal I know he's in Chicago Illinois downtown but that's about it what is the process I read a lot of these comments and they've been very informative are any of the women still have loved ones. In mcc
Old 05-12-2016, 05:27 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

First you need to check the federal inmate locator.
https://www.bop.gov/inmateloc/

He could be there for a federal court appearance. You can follow any federal case on pacer.gov.
https://www.pacer.gov/

If he is permitted to use the phones, which may not happen, you won't need to do anything on your end (except maybe having a phone that accepts collect calls) but he will have things to do from his end. You can write to him, and he should receive your letters.

Once you know why he is there, or if the locator has a bop ID# (xxxxx-xxx) assigned to him, it will be possible for you to receive better answers.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:38 PM

can any one tell me what phone company do I use to set up an account
Old 05-13-2016, 07:18 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

None, he has to set his calls up from inside the MCC. All you need to do is answer your phone.
Old 05-15-2016, 07:33 PM

He's been there since last Tuesday I haven't heard anything from him I wrote him a letter and send him some money but I still haven't heard anything he is still in IDOC is computer and he's in the federal computer how is he into computers what's going on I'm worried I'm scared
Old 05-16-2016, 08:27 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

I hope you hear from him soon. Check Pacer to learn if he is facing anything in the federal court system.
https://www.pacer.gov/
Old 05-17-2016, 12:55 AM

I finally heard from him thank all of you for your help. God bless you were very helpful
The Following User Says Thank You to His#1bonnie For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (05-17-2016)
Old 02-19-2017, 07:25 PM

Hello I cant find much info on MCC Chicago... My husband will will starting his 15 month sentence there March 14th 2017
Old 02-20-2017, 08:46 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Welcome to Prison Talk. It sounds like he will be assigned to the MCC Chicago work cadre along with others who are designated to serve relatively short sentences there. That should make his time there much better than being assigned to one of the temporary housing units.

He will earn 59 days of regular good time off his 15 month sentence. He can ask his unit team if they will send him to a local halfway house to serve the last portion of his remaining 13 month sentence.

Last edited by fbopnomore; 02-20-2017 at 10:10 AM..
Old 02-26-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
Welcome to Prison Talk. It sounds like he will be assigned to the MCC Chicago work cadre along with others who are designated to serve relatively short sentences there. That should make his time there much better than being assigned to one of the temporary housing units.

He will earn 59 days of regular good time off his 15 month sentence. He can ask his unit team if they will send him to a local halfway house to serve the last portion of his remaining 13 month sentence.

What does a work cadre involve? We are really distressed as a family because we were assured he would be going to a camp, but then we saw his designation and have been very worried.