Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Probation, Parole & Supervision
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Probation, Parole & Supervision Having problems (or need info) with Probation, Parole or Community Corrections & Supervision?? Lets talk about it here.

Old 12-10-2017, 08:01 PM

Default Has anyone traveled to Canada with a felony?

I am planning to go to Canada and have a previous white collar crime. I been off probation. Now i have a great job and no other records.

Will i have issues if i fly in? i am a us citizen. Can i get the visa on entry or will they give me a hard time.........

anyone has any experience dealing with them? I would greatly appreciate the feedback.........
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2017, 08:51 PM
attorney

Thanked 20,729 Times in 7,337 Posts

Canada is notoriously difficult for a felon to enter. Doesn't matter if you fly or drive or walk - they don't want you there. You need to consult with an immigration attorney.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:48 PM

Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,427 Posts

You can't go to Canada if your a felon
Old 12-10-2017, 11:01 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,105 Times in 616 Posts

I went once by plane with a felon before 9/11, we went again years later by Car and were turned around at the boarder.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyInTexas View Post
I went once by plane with a felon before 9/11, we went again years later by Car and were turned around at the boarder.
That's because you used to be able to go into Canada with a felonie but that obviously changed.
Old 12-25-2017, 03:15 PM

I have traveled to Canada 10+ times since Iíve been released. I have experienced no issues. Two trips to Europe and no issues there either. All but two of those times were through a land border. The other ones were through the airport.

As for Canada, the background checks are pretty cursory at primary inspection. It is only if you get called into secondary where the more thorough checks are performed. The average NCIC/CPIC check takes about 5 to 8 minutes each, so that is way too much time for them to with everybody at the primary inspection station. But secondary they have more than enough time to run your name. But the caveat is if you get called into secondary, they run your name and if they refuse you, then your name goes into their database and you will be flagged at primary inspection going forward.

Another hint. If you go to primary, they wonít be able to see your arrest record. Just try not to look uneasy or suspicious. If they ask if youíve ever been arrested, know they are looking for a reaction out of you. That is what the screening process does.

They do see your entry/exit history when you are at primary. The Canadian agent mentioned to me once that I should get a Nexus card (prescreened traveler card) so I could get through faster.

If you are refused, depending on how long itís been you can apply for rehabilitation status. That way you can officially overcome your inadmissibility, assuming your record isnít long.

Last edited by ttexrbomb; 12-25-2017 at 03:23 PM..
Old 12-25-2017, 03:52 PM

Good luck trying to get in. I knew three people who tried this year and nope.
Old 12-25-2017, 05:36 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,105 Times in 616 Posts

It’s possible. My suggestion is if the felon has tattoos cover them!!!! That will decrease the odds of getting pulled at customs for search. Just know there will be a likelihood of having to turn right around at the boarder and go home.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:03 AM

Not everybody goes through an admissibility examination. Only if they suspect something do you go into secondary.

If you really want to go to Canada, i suggest you get on Netflix and watch the series ďBorder Security: CanadaĒ. It will open your eyes as to how Canada CBSA behaves and what they look for. My first suggestion is to not go in alone. Always take a family member. The more the merrier. If you have children, take them with you as well. On the series, it seems that the ones getting caught are single travelers who raise suspicion. There are a few couples but the show will show you what they deem as suspicious. Always have an itinerary. Know exactly where you are going. When I cross, they always ask these questions (and Iíve crossed 12 times since Iíve been off paper).

1). Where do you live?
2). Where are you going in Canada?
3). How long will you be there?
4). What do you do for a living?
5). Do you own any firearms?
6). Do you have any firearms on you?
7). When was the last time you were here? (Even though they have this info in front of them when they run your passport)
8). Are you visiting any friends or family up here?
9). Are you bringing anything to Canada which you are leaving behind?

These seem to be the questions I get asked all the time. I showed up at the border on 12/18 just by myself and he asked more in depth questions, but then let me pass without getting called to secondary.

Just because you have a felony doesnít mean itís a lifetime ban. You can become admissible. First, to determine if you are inadmissible, they equate your USA crime to a comparable Canada crime. If a crime is a crime in the USA but not Canada, you are still admissible. But if your crime is a crime in both countries, you may not be admissible, but that time period is 5 to 10 years. Some crimes you are automatically deemed rehabilitated (and therefore admissible) after 10 years while others you have to apply for it. By applying for a certificate of rehabilitation, you remove your inadmissibility and can therefore enter Canada after that. I would also like to add in some cases you can bring your court papers. Elements of your crime may not be a crime in Canada (for example, Bankruptcy fraud in Canada is very different than in the USA, meaning the threshold for charging is much higher in Canada). That is why your court papers may help you in the event the title of your crime is a crime in both countries, but the elements of the crime are not.

I did this, so if you really really want to go to Canada, reach out to me and Iíll tell you how to do it.

If it has been less than 5 years, you can still get a Temporary Resident Permit. Those can be granted at the border or at a Canadian consulate. These are more discretionary and a little harder to get, but it is an option. To get a TRP, your need to enter Canada must outweigh their public safety concern. So this is crime specific - but you need to get more creative on your reasoning for wanting to go to Canada. Just wanting to take a vacation usually wonít cut it. But if you are going for work, you have a better chance of getting one.

Last edited by ttexrbomb; 01-01-2018 at 12:26 AM..