Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!






Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Husbands & Boyfriends in Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Husbands & Boyfriends in Prison For everyone who has a husband, boyfriend or male partner incarcerated.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-10-2017, 08:48 PM
NeedA_Name's Avatar
NeedA_Name NeedA_Name is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Pennsylvania, United States
Posts: 106
Thanks: 97
Thanked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Default Don't like the silence...

I guess this is mostly just a vent post, but I'm visiting my grandparents and had to tell hubby I might not always be able to answer the phone while I'm there because they don't know what's going on and wouldn't handle it very well if they found out. Grandfather has a heart condition and my mom claims he'd pass away if he knew what's going on. This is now the second day in a row I haven't heard from my husband, and I know some times that happens, but I'm worried. I don't know if I'm not hearing from him because he's worried he'll call me at the wrong time and I'll get in trouble, they're on lockdown, or if he's not calling me because he's hurt I'm, in certain ways, hiding him from my grandparents. If I don't hear from him soon, I'm going to write to him, but in the meantime, I'm stressing out all over the place.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 11-10-2017, 09:47 PM
onparoleinTO onparoleinTO is offline
OnparoleinTO
 

Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Toronto
Posts: 459
Thanks: 457
Thanked 504 Times in 254 Posts
Default

Hard to tell without knowing you better, but it sounds like unnecessary anxiety on your part. Try to assume (easy for me to say, I know) that all is well and you'll be in touch when you get home.

Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to onparoleinTO For This Useful Post:
NeedA_Name (11-10-2017)
  #3  
Old 11-10-2017, 09:54 PM
NeedA_Name's Avatar
NeedA_Name NeedA_Name is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Pennsylvania, United States
Posts: 106
Thanks: 97
Thanked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by onparoleinTO View Post
Hard to tell without knowing you better, but it sounds like unnecessary anxiety on your part. Try to assume (easy for me to say, I know) that all is well and you'll be in touch when you get home.

Hope that helps!
Thank you. That's the assumption I'm trying to go with. It's just rough having to keep everything secret from my grandparents. Especially when keeping it secret risks hurting my husband's feelings over it. Eventually he's supposed to get out, and then I don't know what we're going to do about my grandparents if they're still around by then. I'm being made to feel like I have to choose between my husband and other people I love and I hate that feeling.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-10-2017, 10:06 PM
onedayatatime13 onedayatatime13 is online now
Registered User
 

Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: United States
Posts: 955
Thanks: 165
Thanked 1,028 Times in 537 Posts
Default

There could be a whole host of reasons for not hearing from him. In the beginning when everything was dramatic, I would remind myself to enjoy the silence. It would actually help me sleep because soon the roller coaster would start up again until wrapped our minds around everything.

The hiding thing is not fun. Just let it be for now and keep things quiet if it causes less drama in your family. There is enough going on as it is and then you revisit it later.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to onedayatatime13 For This Useful Post:
NeedA_Name (11-10-2017)
  #5  
Old 11-11-2017, 01:03 AM
nygirl17 nygirl17 is online now
Registered User
 

Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,531
Thanks: 98
Thanked 1,453 Times in 952 Posts
Default

Why would a phone call from him indicate he's in prison. He could be at the store??? I never tell my husband not to call me.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-11-2017, 04:44 AM
JustBeingMe67's Avatar
JustBeingMe67 JustBeingMe67 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Oregon
Posts: 5,314
Thanks: 815
Thanked 1,686 Times in 832 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedA_Name View Post
I guess this is mostly just a vent post, but I'm visiting my grandparents and had to tell hubby I might not always be able to answer the phone while I'm there because they don't know what's going on and wouldn't handle it very well if they found out. Grandfather has a heart condition and my mom claims he'd pass away if he knew what's going on. This is now the second day in a row I haven't heard from my husband, and I know some times that happens, but I'm worried. I don't know if I'm not hearing from him because he's worried he'll call me at the wrong time and I'll get in trouble, they're on lockdown, or if he's not calling me because he's hurt I'm, in certain ways, hiding him from my grandparents. If I don't hear from him soon, I'm going to write to him, but in the meantime, I'm stressing out all over the place.
Can you set a time for him to call when its easier, maybe when they are sleeping, out shopping, watching tv?

Anything can happen with DOC and its hard when we don't hear from them, it's not like we can pick up the phone and call them, ugh. Try and trust that when he can, he will call.

Again, if you can find a time that works better for you, for him to call, try and do that. Are you using a cell phone? If so, you could set a time for him to call and then tell Grandparents you are going to go run errands.
__________________
Be Real, Be You
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JustBeingMe67 For This Useful Post:
NeedA_Name (11-11-2017)
  #7  
Old 11-11-2017, 06:00 AM
NeedA_Name's Avatar
NeedA_Name NeedA_Name is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Pennsylvania, United States
Posts: 106
Thanks: 97
Thanked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygirl17 View Post
Why would a phone call from him indicate he's in prison. He could be at the store??? I never tell my husband not to call me.
They don't even know we're still together. Hubby and I were separated for a bit before all this happened. Plus if I answer the phone not far enough out of their hearing range, then they'd hear the whole "you have a prepaid call from ---, an inmate at the --- --- jail."
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-11-2017, 06:03 AM
NeedA_Name's Avatar
NeedA_Name NeedA_Name is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Pennsylvania, United States
Posts: 106
Thanks: 97
Thanked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBeingMe67 View Post
Can you set a time for him to call when its easier, maybe when they are sleeping, out shopping, watching tv?

Anything can happen with DOC and its hard when we don't hear from them, it's not like we can pick up the phone and call them, ugh. Try and trust that when he can, he will call.

Again, if you can find a time that works better for you, for him to call, try and do that. Are you using a cell phone? If so, you could set a time for him to call and then tell Grandparents you are going to go run errands.
I wish it was that easy. I'm using a cellphone, but during the normal hours that he calls me, they all had something planned. After breakfast, I'm heading home.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-11-2017, 06:20 AM
judiwoo's Avatar
judiwoo judiwoo is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Nevada/UK
Posts: 894
Thanks: 188
Thanked 789 Times in 464 Posts
Default

He maybe isn't calling because he knows you are with your grandparents and might not answer the phone
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-11-2017, 06:23 AM
NeedA_Name's Avatar
NeedA_Name NeedA_Name is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Pennsylvania, United States
Posts: 106
Thanks: 97
Thanked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by judiwoo View Post
He maybe isn't calling because he knows you are with your grandparents and might not answer the phone
Thing is I got the days mixed up and told him I'd be with them today and tomorrow, not yesterday and today. He didn't call me yesterday and he didn't call me the day before that one.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-11-2017, 09:10 AM
judiwoo's Avatar
judiwoo judiwoo is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Nevada/UK
Posts: 894
Thanks: 188
Thanked 789 Times in 464 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedA_Name View Post
Thing is I got the days mixed up and told him I'd be with them today and tomorrow, not yesterday and today. He didn't call me yesterday and he didn't call me the day before that one.
I wouldn't worry too much he could be on lockdown. I'm sure he will call when he can
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to judiwoo For This Useful Post:
NeedA_Name (11-11-2017)
  #12  
Old 11-11-2017, 09:33 AM
NeedA_Name's Avatar
NeedA_Name NeedA_Name is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Pennsylvania, United States
Posts: 106
Thanks: 97
Thanked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by judiwoo View Post
I wouldn't worry too much he could be on lockdown. I'm sure he will call when he can
As long as he's okay and calls me as soon as he can.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-11-2017, 09:59 AM
onedayatatime13 onedayatatime13 is online now
Registered User
 

Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: United States
Posts: 955
Thanks: 165
Thanked 1,028 Times in 537 Posts
Default

I am not sure if you are religious or pray, but When those moments came I would also pray for his safety. I knew it wasn't because he didn't want to speak to me, but he couldn't. I have it to God to handle. Once I called down and went about life, the phone would ring.

Step outside if you have too or the bathroom if he calls. I smoke, so I grab a cigarette and make my way outside. Now we have relatively preset call times, so I make myself available during those times. If I can't, I let him know the night before, so he can change his time slots to call.

It will all be ok. While in county, anything can place them on a lock down or have them shut off the phones. I also do my best letter writing then as well. I write what I would want to talk about and I feel good after that.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-11-2017, 10:11 AM
NeedA_Name's Avatar
NeedA_Name NeedA_Name is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Pennsylvania, United States
Posts: 106
Thanks: 97
Thanked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedayatatime13 View Post
I am not sure if you are religious or pray, but When those moments came I would also pray for his safety. I knew it wasn't because he didn't want to speak to me, but he couldn't. I have it to God to handle. Once I called down and went about life, the phone would ring.

Step outside if you have too or the bathroom if he calls. I smoke, so I grab a cigarette and make my way outside. Now we have relatively preset call times, so I make myself available during those times. If I can't, I let him know the night before, so he can change his time slots to call.

It will all be ok. While in county, anything can place them on a lock down or have them shut off the phones. I also do my best letter writing then as well. I write what I would want to talk about and I feel good after that.
I pray. We don't have super set times because of all the other people who want the phone as well but he has a couple times during the day that he usually calls and it was during those times there was a possibility I wouldn't be able to answer the phone. I didn't say he couldn't call, although I did tell him I might not be able to answer but to please not think I'm ignoring him.

Depending on where I was when he'd have called, I could have stepped out for a minute too, but he never called at all. Now I'm back home and since I got my days mixed up on when I'd even be seeing my grandparents, I might not hear from him at all until two days from now. I just hope he's okay and my having to keep quiet around my grandparents about him hasn't hurt his feelings and/or made him think I'm ashamed of him. I'm not. If it weren't for my grandpa's heart problems, I would have told my mom I'm not hiding my husband from them and it's on them if they have a problem with it.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-11-2017, 10:19 AM
xolady xolady is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: May 2014
Location: highlands, florida
Posts: 4,153
Thanks: 7,061
Thanked 3,966 Times in 2,126 Posts
Default

I'm sorry your dealing with the burden of keeping this secret it sucks that's for sure especially when it would makes things easier for all if you could be open and honest. I would just send him lots of mail saying all you are feeling I don't think you should be so worried about his feelings after all he's the one who is the cause of him being in prison. And if he hadn't done something you wouldn't be placed in this position. Your feelings need to come first.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-11-2017, 10:48 AM
NeedA_Name's Avatar
NeedA_Name NeedA_Name is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Pennsylvania, United States
Posts: 106
Thanks: 97
Thanked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xolady View Post
I don't think you should be so worried about his feelings after all he's the one who is the cause of him being in prison. And if he hadn't done something you wouldn't be placed in this position. Your feelings need to come first.
He was diagnosed with a mental/mood disorder after he was incarcerated and if he had been diagnosed with it before then and getting the help he needed for it, he wouldn't be locked up. I worry about his feelings regarding all this because he's Schizoaffective Bipolar (what he was diagnosed with after incarceration) and I don't want his mind to wander into paranoid territory again, especially when it comes towards my feelings for him.

He already hates himself far too much, including hating the Aspergers he was diagnosed with long before incarceration, and he was on watch for the first at least month he was locked up because he told me the day before everything happened that he wanted to die. I'm not about to sit on the phone and tell him "it's all your fault you're in there" when he couldn't have actively chosen not to get help for a disorder he didn't even know he had before everything fell apart.

It would be one thing if he was diagnosed before all this happened and chose not to get help but you can't really choose not to get help for something you don't even know you have in the first place. So long as he continues to get help for what he now knows he has, I'm naturally going to worry about things going on that may hurt his feelings. I love him. Caring about his feelings comes standard.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-11-2017, 11:24 AM
xolady xolady is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: May 2014
Location: highlands, florida
Posts: 4,153
Thanks: 7,061
Thanked 3,966 Times in 2,126 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedA_Name View Post
He was diagnosed with a mental/mood disorder after he was incarcerated and if he had been diagnosed with it before then and getting the help he needed for it, he wouldn't be locked up. I worry about his feelings regarding all this because he's Schizoaffective Bipolar (what he was diagnosed with after incarceration) and I don't want his mind to wander into paranoid territory again, especially when it comes towards my feelings for him.

He already hates himself far too much, including hating the Aspergers he was diagnosed with long before incarceration, and he was on watch for the first at least month he was locked up because he told me the day before everything happened that he wanted to die. I'm not about to sit on the phone and tell him "it's all your fault you're in there" when he couldn't have actively chosen not to get help for a disorder he didn't even know he had before everything fell apart.

It would be one thing if he was diagnosed before all this happened and chose not to get help but you can't really choose not to get help for something you don't even know you have in the first place. So long as he continues to get help for what he now knows he has, I'm naturally going to worry about things going on that may hurt his feelings. I love him. Caring about his feelings comes standard.
I don't know what your husband did but obviously mental problems led to this but it doesn't negate your feelings, and it doesn't excuse him from responsibility for whatever has happened. I'm glad he has gotten help just a shame he waited till he got in trouble to find out. Lots of mentally ill people end up in prison it's very sad and upsetting but he's getting help. Mean while your left to pick up the pieces of your life and you won't if you can't talk with him and communicate your feelings. I hope he gets on a medication that will stop his symptoms and control his illness.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
AndyS (11-11-2017)
  #18  
Old 11-11-2017, 06:11 PM
cljinct's Avatar
cljinct cljinct is online now
Registered User
 

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: ct usa
Posts: 477
Thanks: 277
Thanked 522 Times in 249 Posts
Default

I think that blaming people with mental illness for not seeking treatment is an indicator that you have limited understanding if the pathology of mental illness. Part of the disease is often a lack of insight into the disease..its like blaming someone with terminal cancer for dying.. they often can't help it because they don't know they are sick and when they get treatment they think they are cured and stop treatment . 8
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cljinct For This Useful Post:
NeedA_Name (11-11-2017)
  #19  
Old 11-11-2017, 06:38 PM
NeedA_Name's Avatar
NeedA_Name NeedA_Name is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Pennsylvania, United States
Posts: 106
Thanks: 97
Thanked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cljinct View Post
I think that blaming people with mental illness for not seeking treatment is an indicator that you have limited understanding if the pathology of mental illness. Part of the disease is often a lack of insight into the disease..
Exactly. How you can expect someone to look for treatment of something they don't even know they have, I have no idea.

For example, I believe I mentioned earlier that he has Aspergers and knew about it for awhile. I, however, also have Aspergers, but didn't get that diagnosis until late last year because I wasn't even aware how it presents in females and spent my childhood in an environment that claimed Autism didn't exist in the first place. Am I to blame for the years of my life that were spent not getting help for what I didn't know I have?

My husband didn't choose for his mind to be the way it is, and combined with poor excuses for "friends," I can't really fault him for his mind eventually driving him to do what he did that ended up landing him in jail. He called the cops on himself soon after it happened and was very cooperative with them through out the process following that. All those who know him well enough sincerely believe he snapped. He isn't at fault for not being in his right mind at the worst possible time.

If he goes off his treatment plan and all this happens again, then you can fault him. Until then, I'm not holding what happened against him. I'm sad it happened, but even then, it's a sadness that this is how he had to learn about what he has instead of finding out before it spun out of control. My sincerest apologies to those he hurt in the process, but it wasn't intentional and he's now doing everything he can to get the help he needs so it doesn't happen again. In certain ways, I'm proud of him, not for what happened, so much as for how he's handling it now.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-11-2017, 06:55 PM
NeedA_Name's Avatar
NeedA_Name NeedA_Name is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Pennsylvania, United States
Posts: 106
Thanks: 97
Thanked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Default

Little update to add I just got the call. He said he loves me before he hung up, so I'm going to assume we're all good. I don't know if the admins want to close this thread now that I got a call or not. Either is fine with me.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NeedA_Name For This Useful Post:
cljinct (11-11-2017)
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Silence determined823 Domestic Violence 1 11-24-2009 07:24 PM
Sin by Silence determined823 Domestic Violence 2 10-28-2009 12:32 PM
Silence LadyofMagic Corcoran State Prison (COR) - California 3 10-14-2008 10:37 PM
Silence of the heart (Not silence of the lamb LOL ;) ) infomus Poetry 0 06-21-2003 12:29 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:46 AM.
Copyright © 2001- 2017 Prison Talk Online
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Website Design & Custom vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media
Message Board Statistics