Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > WELCOME TO PTO > Introduce Yourself!
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Introduce Yourself! Please stop by and introduce yourself and share your story with others in the Prison Talk Online community!

Old 10-29-2017, 10:19 AM

Default Intro--omahasmama from North Carolina

I found myself reading posts as I would Google for information so after 6 months I have joined. Here is a brief history of my story. I drove my dad to prison where he surrendered himself for a 14 year sentence for a crime he did not commit. He is 70 years old, two time cancer survivor, 100% pacemaker dependent, diabetic and numerous other medical issues. The day I left him there I drove the 6.5 hour drive home to my mother. I stayed with her for a little while and told her I would see her tomorrow. My mother was confined to a power chair as she was a cancer survivor and had several strokes and brain hematomas. She was in her right mind and very sharp. I got home and told my husband that was the worst day of my life. NEVER say that before midnight. At 11:39 pm I got a call from the assisted living facility I had moved my mom in to 3 days prior since her caregiver was going away. My mother had apparently suffered a massive heart attack and was gone. I lost both parents within a 12 hour time frame. I know my mother is at peace and I honestly do not grieve for her. She can walk and dance again. She doesn't have to feel the pain of this world and this prison journey. My grief is with him because I cannot help him, get to him, see him when I want (I drive the 6.5 hour trip once a month). I cannot control his medical care, or lack there of. I grieve him so much that it controls my every thought. I am six months in and praying for an appeal win, but who knows. I wanted to share my story because it is one that not many can understand. I pray for everyone on the outside walking the prison journey. It is the hardest thing I have ever done.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2017, 11:17 AM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 1,918 Times in 984 Posts

Hello and welcome to prison talk. You will find support and encouragement here from others ego have gone through similar. I am so sorry for your losses and do hope you can find some peace. There's a forum for adult children with parents in prison http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=240
Old 10-29-2017, 11:18 AM

God Bless you. May your beloved dad get his justice. Prayers to you through this journey.
Old 10-29-2017, 12:23 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 17,187 Times in 10,376 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk. I'm sorry for what is happening to your Dad, and condolences on your Mom's passing. I hope his appeal is successful.

Prison is an absolute nightmare for inmates and their families that is made much harder when elderly folks get thrown away by the courts.
Old 10-29-2017, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 27,451 Times in 10,023 Posts

How clever of the prison system to pick up your father for his eldercare requirements! /s
And how clever of your dad to get his health care taken care of with single-provider coverage! (Also sarcastic.)

You've got to be cringing from absolutely everything today, and probably for the next few weeks....so know that many of us here will hold you close in our minds and hope for you in our hearts.
Fridyrr.Likn (10-29-2017)
Old 10-29-2017, 09:09 PM
OnparoleinTO

That's a horrible situation, so sorry. Losing a parent is always very difficult and I'm sure you feel like you've mostly lost your Dad also. Nothing anyone can say will make you feel better, but lots of folks on here can sympathize with your troubles.