Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BECOMING INVOLVED > Prison Activism
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison Activism What's going on? How to become involved.

Old 10-26-2017, 03:24 PM

Default Why has the Trump Administration abandoned prison reform?

I FEEL LIKE MY SON IS BEING PUNISHED SO TRUMP AND FRIENDS CAN MAKE MORE MONEY

Private prison lobbyists (with direct Trump connections) have been huge donors to the Trump campaign and since have funneled business to his personal Miami resort. In related news, Trump Attorney General Sessions ordered lengthy mandatory minimums and closed halfway houses. Private prisons have benefited as the BOP reversed the Obama era decision to stop contracting with private prisons and is now increasing the number of private prison beds and private detention centers.

“GEO Group, a private prison company, has newfound success in Trump’s Washington. The company secured the administration’s first contract for an immigration detention center, a deal worth tens of millions a year. And its stock price has tripled since hitting a low last year when the Obama administration sought to phase out the use of private prisons — a decision that Sessions reversed.”

“During last year’s election, a company subsidiary gave $225,000 to a pro-Trump super PAC. GEO gave an additional $250,000 to the president’s inaugural committee. It also hired as outside lobbyists a major Trump fundraiser and two former aides to Attorney General Jeff Sessions, one of the president’s most prominent campaign backers.” Additionally it moved its annual leadership conference to Trump’s Miami golf resort as it continues to align with President Trump.

Private-prison giant, resurgent in Trump era, gathers at president’s resort
I can't post links so search for article in Washington Post with-business-booming-under-trump-private-prison-giant-gathers-at-presidents-resort
10/25/2017

Private Prisons Boost Lobbying as Federal Detention Needs Grow
I can't post links so search RollCall dot com posted 10/25/2017
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NewWorldMom For This Useful Post:
bookwatch (11-10-2017), fbopnomore (10-27-2017), marie8899 (10-29-2017), Minor activist (10-27-2017), patchouli (10-27-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2017, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 27,481 Times in 10,034 Posts

I'm very sad to ask 'how does this surprise you'? This is exactly what you get from a Trump administration who knows nothing about morality or scholarship and everything about how to increase profits.

Sad!
choclgs (11-18-2017), Hebrews12and1 (10-31-2017), marie8899 (10-29-2017), miamac (10-27-2017), MizzyMuffling (10-27-2017), patchouli (10-27-2017)
Old 10-27-2017, 09:25 AM

Trump would never do anything that would not line the pockets of he and his friends. He was voted in based on lies and those lies continue. He is a text book narcissist. Yesterday was the first time I saw him become even somewhat emotional on a subject and that was only because his own brother died because of addiction. Our loved ones situations will see no improvement until someone who actually cares steps in to help change things.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to InLuvWithALifer For This Useful Post:
Hebrews12and1 (10-31-2017), marie8899 (10-29-2017)
Old 10-27-2017, 10:43 AM
attorney

Thanked 19,689 Times in 7,095 Posts

Felons don't vote.

Felons are generally poor, and cannot make political contributions.

Private prison CEOs are the kinds of people Trump likes to deal with.

Further, at the federal level, Obama was the one that decided to stop the Feds from using so many private prisons and ancillary services. As a result, their stock plummeted. The day after trump received the election? YUGE gains in those very same stocks.

For profit prisons with minimal to no oversight results in generally poorly trained staff, insufficient staff, and other lowest cost initiatives. If you thought the food was bad before, you should smell the swill at a private pay prison (where the worse the food is, the less the prison is spending on it, and the more the inmates are spending in commissary where the private prison makes a profit).

I'm all for highly regulated specialty private prisons - prisons for trans people making their change, prisons for former soldiers with PTSD, geriatric prisons, stuff like that. But, they have to be well regulated. COs and Wardens should have to eat the food. Corrections officers should have top of the line education with a continuing ed requirement. Stuff like that.

For profit private prisons with little to no oversight? Nope, just a money maker for the too 1%. Keep that rate of incarceration high, and your loved one going back on a parole violation is an annuity.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
bookwatch (11-10-2017), choclgs (11-18-2017), fbopnomore (10-27-2017), GaReform (10-27-2017), Hebrews12and1 (10-31-2017), marie8899 (10-29-2017), miamac (10-27-2017), Nickel Timer (10-28-2017), nimuay (10-27-2017), patchouli (10-27-2017)
Old 10-27-2017, 12:01 PM

Thanked 1,058 Times in 588 Posts

Given all he said about the Central Park 5, it seems likely that Trump would be eager to punish people even if there weren't money involved.
choclgs (11-18-2017), fbopnomore (10-27-2017), Hebrews12and1 (10-31-2017), marie8899 (10-29-2017), miamac (10-27-2017), Miss_A (11-15-2017), nimuay (10-27-2017)
Old 10-27-2017, 12:16 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 13,882 Times in 5,341 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor activist View Post
Given all he said about the Central Park 5, it seems likely that Trump would be eager to punish people even if there weren't money involved.
Scapegoating, diversion, self-interest. Makes me so angry.
And then Sessions coming out to say they're going to go after MS-13. He compared it to shutting down Capone. It's not the same thing, at all, and a lot of innocent young people are going go to wind up in prison because this will turn into a witch hunt.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
choclgs (11-18-2017), fbopnomore (10-27-2017), marie8899 (10-29-2017), patchouli (10-27-2017)
Old 10-27-2017, 01:27 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 29,342 Times in 13,667 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWorldMom View Post

Private prison lobbyists (with direct Trump connections) have been huge donors to the Trump campaign and since have funneled business to his personal Miami resort. In related news, Trump Attorney General Sessions ordered lengthy mandatory minimums and closed halfway houses. Private prisons have benefited as the BOP reversed the Obama era decision to stop contracting with private prisons and is now increasing the number of private prison beds and private detention centers.

“GEO Group, a private prison company, has newfound success in Trump’s Washington. The company secured the administration’s first contract for an immigration detention center, a deal worth tens of millions a year. And its stock price has tripled since hitting a low last year when the Obama administration sought to phase out the use of private prisons — a decision that Sessions reversed.”

“During last year’s election, a company subsidiary gave $225,000 to a pro-Trump super PAC. GEO gave an additional $250,000 to the president’s inaugural committee. It also hired as outside lobbyists a major Trump fundraiser and two former aides to Attorney General Jeff Sessions, one of the president’s most prominent campaign backers.” Additionally it moved its annual leadership conference to Trump’s Miami golf resort as it continues to align with President Trump.

I can't post links so search for article in Washington Post with-business-booming-under-trump-private-prison-giant-gathers-at-presidents-resort
10/25/2017

Here are clickable links to both articles

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
choclgs (11-18-2017), miamac (10-27-2017)
Old 10-27-2017, 04:49 PM
attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor activist View Post
No, there's always money involved. Look at Joe Arpaio. Money, power, and influence. Get enough of at least one of those involved, and a presidential pardon is on its way.

And the lighter your skin, the better he's going to think of you
The Following User Says Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
miamac (10-27-2017)
Old 10-27-2017, 06:03 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 17,199 Times in 10,381 Posts

It didn't surprise me, the voters (and the Russians) got what they paid for.

It could be worse, or nearly so, if Sheriff Joe, or the President of the Philippines was in charge. Brutal and heartless are adjectives that are not heard nearly often enough when discussing conservative politicians, religious or not.
Old 10-27-2017, 07:05 PM
attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
It didn't surprise me, the voters (and the Russians) got what they paid for.

It could be worse, or nearly so, if Sheriff Joe, or the President of the Philippines was in charge. Brutal and heartless are adjectives that are not heard nearly often enough when discussing conservative politicians, religious or not.
But we are on a slippery slope to the violence of Duarte and North Korea.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
bookwatch (11-10-2017), fbopnomore (10-28-2017)
Old 10-27-2017, 11:01 PM

Thanked 1,220 Times in 500 Posts

Yourself is right, felons can't or don't vote. If only 1 person would speak up for each of the over 65 million people affected by the criminal justice system, the movement couldn't be ignored. Right now it can be brushed aside because no one fights back. The Koch Brothers are trying to get reform moved along but because they want the mens rea included, lawmakers of both parties are balking.

Maybe if more of Trump's buddies get touched by the tentacles of the criminal justice system then we might see some change. I don't see any real progress coming until we band together. Vive la revolution!
Old 10-31-2017, 02:20 AM

Quote:

10/25/2017

It's all about law and order, and not coddling criminals.

Unless they happen to be disgraced former sheriffs.
The Following User Says Thank You to redtop43 For This Useful Post:
missingdee (11-17-2017)
Old 10-31-2017, 05:23 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

The criminal justice system is touching him close to home, with more to come.

Gerald Ford gave Nixon a blanket pardon before he was convicted of anything. I wouldn't be surprised if Trump does the same.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:01 AM
attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
The criminal justice system is touching him close to home, with more to come.

Gerald Ford gave Nixon a blanket pardon before he was convicted of anything. I wouldn't be surprised if Trump does the same.
Trump won't be able to give himself a pardon, assuming that's the analogy you're making. He may give pardons to the people indicted today, assuming it stays in federal court.

We live in interesting times, and yes, this is a reference to the Chinese curse.
Old 10-31-2017, 03:26 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

If it comes to that (him leaving office) I'm sure it will include a deal for a pardon from VP/Pres. Pence.
Old 10-31-2017, 03:32 PM

Do you think Trump will be gone? I hope he is. I'm in Ireland and it all makes very interesting viewing from the outside looking in. Its just crazy.
How the news about him is told in other parts of the world is very similar to the 'fake news' that he likes to complain about.
Old 10-31-2017, 08:14 PM

Thanked 1,058 Times in 588 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourself View Post
Trump won't be able to give himself a pardon, assuming that's the analogy you're making. He may give pardons to the people indicted today, assuming it stays in federal court.

We live in interesting times, and yes, this is a reference to the Chinese curse.
People who know far more than I are arguing about whether he can pardon himself.

Quote:
I reached out to 15 legal experts and asked them if the president has the constitutional authority to pardon himself. As it turns out, this is something of a legal gray area. The overwhelming consensus was that Trump could make a plausible legal argument that his pardoning powers extend to himself, mostly because the Constitution isn’t clear about this — and, frankly, because this is just not a situation the framers expected.
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...on-impeachment
Old 11-01-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:

10/25/2017

I understand your frustration, but honestly, I wouldn't blame Trump too much for this. Not as far as greed is concerned. When he first inherited his fortune, he could have made MUCH more money then he has now just by letting all that cash draw interest, and living the high life on a beach somewhere doing nothing. Instead, he put people to work, and invested it, sometimes not so wisely, and sometimes downright brilliantly. So money, strangely enough, isn't his most driving ambition. Admiration and power obviously is.

As far as the prison aspect, there is a huge push by the American population to be tough on crime, AND abolish laws that make certain activities crimes. People seem to want it both ways; they want the govt. to stop filling up the prisons and saving more money, but at the same time, they like to rant about locking people up. It's a tough spot to be in when you are president, and especially difficult when from the cradle, like Trump, you were raised around only a certain group of people. Despite what he has expertly done, he really has no clue on what it is like to be an average person with a loved one in the system. Or what it feels like to have no money and feel utterly helpless to do anything for that loved one in any way. He also has no clue on what it feels like to feel so desperate that you feel the need to take the chance in breaking the law just to survive from day to day.

So I don't think it's money at all so much as it's a disconnect thing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tdj For This Useful Post:
Lizzietails (11-17-2017), TexMom2013 (11-13-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 10:41 AM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 13,882 Times in 5,341 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdj View Post
I understand your frustration, but honestly, I wouldn't blame Trump too much for this. Not as far as greed is concerned. When he first inherited his fortune, he could have made MUCH more money then he has now just by letting all that cash draw interest, and living the high life on a beach somewhere doing nothing. Instead, he put people to work, and invested it, sometimes not so wisely, and sometimes downright brilliantly. So money, strangely enough, isn't his most driving ambition. Admiration and power obviously is.

As far as the prison aspect, there is a huge push by the American population to be tough on crime, AND abolish laws that make certain activities crimes. People seem to want it both ways; they want the govt. to stop filling up the prisons and saving more money, but at the same time, they like to rant about locking people up. It's a tough spot to be in when you are president, and especially difficult when from the cradle, like Trump, you were raised around only a certain group of people. Despite what he has expertly done, he really has no clue on what it is like to be an average person with a loved one in the system. Or what it feels like to have no money and feel utterly helpless to do anything for that loved one in any way. He also has no clue on what it feels like to feel so desperate that you feel the need to take the chance in breaking the law just to survive from day to day.

So I don't think it's money at all so much as it's a disconnect thing.
It's not about making him money (which he's a pretty incompetent at, to be honest), it's about the shareholders for private prisons and contract companies. Hillary Clinton did the same and accepted large donations from the same ilk until she was called to the mat for it.

You are right, he has a dangerous ego and access to a subset of people who love to hear "if I'm elected, you'll be set". Nevermind that it's backsliding on what the majority of citizens want. The "lock them up" crowd are, for the first time in a long time, not the majority. But in numbers, neither are those getting rich of the expansion of incarceration. This is how elitism, reciprocity and ignorance suck the soul out of a country.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
choclgs (11-18-2017), Fridyrr.Likn (11-01-2017), nimuay (11-01-2017), patchouli (11-03-2017)
Old 11-02-2017, 05:51 PM

corporate profits and racism.
Miss_A (11-15-2017), nimuay (11-02-2017), patchouli (11-03-2017)
Old 11-03-2017, 06:44 AM

Why anyone would be surprised about Trump's behavior is beyond me! Last I read there has been no effort to fill various vacancies in the prison system, and any prison reform is not going to happen anytime soon. He doesn't care about prisoners unless they're his friends or family and for those lucky few, he will just pardon them as he has shown us.

My hope is that if he is dumb enough to fire Mueller, or pardon these other minions of his, that ultimately he will be taken to task for abuse of power and that will be the end of him. Probably wishful thinking on my part.

It blew us away the other day when those indictments were all over the news and we turned on Fox to see what they were talking about and unbelievably, they had some other story about nothing on there. No surprise - and this dimwit calls every other channel fake news?? At least they report the news!! Good or bad!

As for Pence. While he is way too conservative for my liking, he does appear to be more honest and for whomever above said they think a deal would include a pardon for Trump if he left. I doubt Pence would agree to that nor would I find it necessary. There are enough Republicans that Trump has pissed off that if impeached, they would not save his ass. Hopefully with mid-terms in a year, the tide will start to change further and the Dems can take back the House or Senate or both.

Trump has got to go! The changes he wants to make regarding taxes is appalling for the middle class. For those of you who have not yet educated yourself on them, you should. The rich and corporations will get the biggest benefit, and the middle class will get hurt the most, par for the course!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
katerina020116 (11-03-2017), patchouli (11-03-2017)
Old 11-03-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Private prison lobbyists (with direct Trump connections) have been huge donors to the Trump campaign and since have funneled business to his personal Miami resort.
This will probably come to as a surprise for you. Both those same private prison lobbyists donate pretty much equally to both parties. Neither side really wants prison reform.

So where was all the outrage 5 years ago when Obama was abandoning prison reform?
Old 11-03-2017, 12:52 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 29,342 Times in 13,667 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsanner View Post
This will probably come to as a surprise for you. Both those same private prison lobbyists donate pretty much equally to both parties. Neither side really wants prison reform.

So where was all the outrage 5 years ago when Obama was abandoning prison reform?

Do a search for Obama and prison reform.....numerous articles:

Obama Just Announced Sweeping Reforms To The Prison System - January 26,2016

Obama's prison reform pitch to highlight soaring costs of incarceration - July 14, 2015

Obama Visits Prison in Push for Reform - July 16, 2015

How Barack Obama has reformed America’s prisons - January 28, 2016

Obama appointed Eric Holder as Attorney General in 2008 (he served 6 years under Obama)

Attorney General Holder Announces President Obama’s Budget Proposes $173 Million for Criminal Justice Reform - March 4, 2014

Obama commuted how many sentences between 2009 - 2017? (List Here) More than any other President. Ever.

However, this thread is NOT about Obama. If anyone has forgotten the topic of this thread, please go back to the OP and read through the posts.

Thanks!

Last edited by patchouli; 11-03-2017 at 01:01 PM.. Reason: added one more link
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
choclgs (11-18-2017), fbopnomore (11-03-2017), miamac (11-03-2017), Nickel Timer (11-05-2017), nimuay (11-03-2017), sidewalker (11-16-2017), Twinkle82 (11-03-2017), yourself (11-15-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 12:31 AM

Quote:

10/25/2017

Institutional racism, the backbone of the prison system. modern day slavery.
choclgs (11-18-2017), fbopnomore (11-15-2017), Miss_A (11-15-2017), patchouli (11-15-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 09:55 AM
attorney

And please pay attention to the rapid appointment of judges recently. These are people being appointed for lifetime positions as federal judges. So far, we have two that were rushed through who have unequivocal not qualified ratings. This is unprecedented. One is primarily a law blogger, not a trial attorney. Another has never tried a case in his life, and may need a GPS system to get to the courthouse. But, they espouse the correct values - evangelical conservativism and lauding trump. And these are the people who will sit in judgement and sentence people for decades to come.

You can compare and contrast past nominee ratings at the ABA knowing every time they stated somebody was Not Qualified, that person did not become a federal judge.

https://www.americanbar.org/groups/c...y/ratings.html

Btw, these are the people who will sit for civil cases as well that will affect you. Everything from product liability (should there have been a recall on a cereal tainted with peanuts before or after the death of 100 people, or should there be a recall and design modification to an airbag so that people weren't losing eyes in 20% of deployed airbags - stuff like that), to determinations as the court of last resort for SSDI status, to constitutional questions like whether you can be fired from your job for failing to allow your boss to pinch your ass (if Roe v. Wade can come under attack, you bet workplace sexual harassment will also get attacked).

These judicial appointments should really concern you.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
choclgs (11-18-2017), fbopnomore (11-15-2017), miamac (11-15-2017), Minor activist (11-15-2017), missingdee (11-17-2017), Nickel Timer (11-15-2017), nimuay (11-15-2017), patchouli (11-15-2017), sidewalker (11-16-2017), xolady (11-15-2017)