Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BECOMING INVOLVED > Prison Activism
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison Activism What's going on? How to become involved.

Old 10-19-2017, 05:39 PM

Default National Issue - Release dates being changed due to budget issues

My son, due to be released to a Tacoma halfway house in January, just had his date moved to March due to "budget considerations". It has happened to many of his fellow inmates at the Phoenix Federal Correctional Institution.

Thank you to FAMM for explaining this issue. I will call my Congress reps to tell them how the Bureau of Prisons’ halfway house closures are affecting my family and my loved one’s reentry.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NewWorldMom For This Useful Post:
AndieNik (10-19-2017), AngelMindi (10-24-2017), fbopnomore (10-19-2017), patchouli (10-19-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2017, 10:02 PM

My husband was due to come home December 6, now his date was moved to the end of January. He was supposed to go to a halfway house in San Antonio, TX. My kids are so devastated that all this time they thought he would be home for Christmas and New Years and my 6 year olds daughters birthday. I will be writing a letter to our Congress, thank you
The Following User Says Thank You to escobarj For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (10-24-2017)
Old 10-26-2017, 05:39 PM

Default Correction - where to advocate on date changes

Per my son, local/regional feds that can change reentry dates are the ones to contact, not senators/congressman (like I did.) Your inmate could ask their case manager who they are and you could contact them. Here is the info my son sent out to people that may advocate for him.

“Hey,

Here are the relevant details about me, contact information for who I'd recommend contacting, and what I think will be the most effective to say. I don't want to look back on this though and say I did nothing when I had plenty of time and resources to try.

The XXX Reentry people are the people who I've been told repeatedly have the actually authority to revert or change a halfway house date. They are responsible for the halfway houses in the XX District. The Congressman/Senators are just the people who have pull regarding the recent legislature.

Relevant Information about me
- XX years old, NAME, NUMBER, serving a XX month sentence for XX.
- Scheduled to complete a congressionally recognized XX hour intensive Residential Drug Abuse Program (RDAP) on XX.
- Originally given XX months halfway house and date of XX, recently changed to XX. Location is XX.
- I'm being released with minimal financial assistance, no clothes, car, state ID, or belongings.
- XX months is not ample time to get drivers license reinstated, apply for jobs and get hired, purchase clothes, hygiene, food, and save enough money to move into an apartment.
- Very reliant on the halfway house for structure and time to readjust to society and get back on my feet."