Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > World Prison News
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

World Prison News Post info (IF it doesn't belong in another PTO forum) about the prison system, prisoner support, criminal justice, etc., that you learn firsthand, through the media, from an inmate, or any other source. News can be local, state, Federal, or int'l.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:55 AM

Thanked 1,055 Times in 587 Posts
Default Conference criticizes community corrections

Quote:
Releasing more individuals under supervisory conditions of probation or parole was meant to reduce America’s high prison population. But insufficient funding, over-zealous officers, and bureaucratic red tape have produced the opposite result, according to participants in a panel at John Jay College’s “Smart on Crime” conference, which ended Wednesday.
https://thecrimereport.org/2017/10/1...-systems-fail/

Quote:
“If you were a black man facing three to four months of parole as opposed to a year in prison, you would take the year in prison,” [former NY probation commissioner Schiraldi] said.
Some ideas from the conference sounded weird.

Quote:
“Incarceration should never be the fault[sic] response to violations,” [an academic] said. “It should be eliminated for violation of parole.”
fbopnomore (10-16-2017), Nickel Timer (10-16-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2017, 06:21 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 17,195 Times in 10,380 Posts

Parole/probation violations are the reason why the recidivism statistics are so disappointing. Post prison supervision is brutal, and unnecessary. If it is given in exchange for a shorter prison sentence (parole) the inmate should have the option of serving their entire sentence, or leaving early on parole.

Sentences like those given to everyone sentenced in US federal court, prison followed by years (or now, even lifetime) of supervised release are why so many folks who were exemplary prisoners then violate the terms of their probation.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:32 PM
Ex-Prisoner & ACLU Intern
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,059 Times in 825 Posts

I can't even begin to tell you how many people I saw doing 15 years on what should have only been a 7-year sentence.

They kept getting paroled, then getting violated, then coming back and losing ALL their street time, which only extended their absolute prison sentences that much further. Some effectively doing LIFE on the installment plan...

On the other hand, most everyone I know who eschewed parole and topped their sentences out, managing to get completely free from government control, have managed to stay out of trouble since. Including myself.

I'd like to think there was some scientific rationale behind the idea of post-release supervision, how it supposedly reduces recidivism and helps people re-adjust to society, but from everything I've witnessed, and some of the brutal POs I've had to suffer, I sure as hell don't see it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nickel Timer For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (10-17-2017)
Old 10-17-2017, 05:55 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 17,195 Times in 10,380 Posts

Here's an interesting article from a recent NY State conference on "community Corrections" that appeared in the John Jay College's Crime Connection newsletter.
"Why Community Corrections Systems Fail"
https://thecrimereport.org/2017/10/1...-systems-fail/

Violation of any one of the supervisory conditions can result in re-incarceration, said Vincent Schiraldi, who served as Commissioner of the New York City Department of Probation between 2010-2014.

“That’s why 40% of people get arrested on parole,” he told the panel. “Half of the intakes to prison are violations of parole and probation.”

My opinion: These numbers are even higher than I thought, and they definitely pump up the "recidivism" statistics that are then used as a justification for keeping ex inmates in the system long after they have served their entire prison sentences. A meaningful reduction in America's mass incarceration disaster would occur if even the technical (petty) violations of parole and probation were decriminalized, like being late for a meeting with the PO or filing a late monthly report. Instead a law was recently passed in the US Congress that gives prosecutors the tools to charge a brand new federal felony crime for violations of the conditions imposed under federal supervised release.

Last edited by fbopnomore; 10-17-2017 at 06:07 PM..