Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Prison & Criminal Legal Help!
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison & Criminal Legal Help! Ask questions, get opinions, and find resources on dealing with criminal justice legal issues, appeals, and more..

Old 09-30-2017, 08:41 AM

Thanked 1,053 Times in 585 Posts
Default Is fondling during patdown a PREA issue?

If one or more inmates gets touched inappropriately during a patdown, can that be reported through PREA channels? Is there more confidentiality and less chance of retaliation for PREA complaints than there is for regular grievances? In other words, if witnesses came forward would they suffer for it?

If the answer depends on it, assume I'm thinking Federal here.
Old 10-01-2017, 05:58 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 17,189 Times in 10,376 Posts

Yes, staff retaliation is always a possibility in federal prisons. I don't know if a complaint made directly to the DOJ's Inspector General has more safeguards, or not.
https://oig.justice.gov/
Old 10-01-2017, 08:53 AM

On paper, PREA complaints are confidential. In reality, what happens to people who go through PREA channels?

Fondling would be sexual assault in the free world. Does it count as reportable in the PREA world, or is that only for worse things?

Last edited by Minor activist; 10-01-2017 at 08:54 AM.. Reason: Restore paragraph break
Old 10-20-2017, 08:09 AM

Cool legal Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor activist View Post
If one or more inmates gets touched inappropriately during a patdown, can that be reported through PREA channels? Is there more confidentiality and less chance of retaliation for PREA complaints than there is for regular grievances? In other words, if witnesses came forward would they suffer for it?

If the answer depends on it, assume I'm thinking Federal here.
lien the officer. if you are interested reply [how?].--- that is so trifling and no holds are barred when it comes to that type of crime, especially in prisons because the victim not only feels trapped...but they are. family is so important on the outside or a person like me. i'm nasty and do not need to go into a court room. i can do it from where i sit. when dealing with "them" remedy processes cannot stand alone. You got to have enforcement behind it. that's my favorite part. I have no picks. any one can get it if you cross that type of line, and anyone who conspires to cover it up. this is coming from the heart...
Old 10-20-2017, 01:03 PM

Default Federal

The first thing that happens once the claim is filed, is that the officer in question in placed on Mandatory paid leave. This will be a minimum of 45 days until the investigation is complete. The DOJ is really serious about PREA complaints. So the fallout on the inmate is virtually non-existent. DOJ investigators WILL show up to the facility to investigate the claims.
Now if the officer is found not to have committed the acts, then he will probably be messed with on the "paper" side. He will have a hard time transferring, getting halfway house, things like that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jjx062 For This Useful Post:
Minor activist (10-20-2017), nimuay (10-20-2017)
Old 10-20-2017, 01:12 PM

Now that was a useful reply. Thank you!
Old 10-20-2017, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 27,451 Times in 10,023 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by berg ice View Post
lien the officer. if you are interested reply [how?].--- that is so trifling and no holds are barred when it comes to that type of crime, especially in prisons because the victim not only feels trapped...but they are. family is so important on the outside or a person like me. i'm nasty and do not need to go into a court room. i can do it from where i sit. when dealing with "them" remedy processes cannot stand alone. You got to have enforcement behind it. that's my favorite part. I have no picks. any one can get it if you cross that type of line, and anyone who conspires to cover it up. this is coming from the heart...
Berg seems to have the same solution for most troubles. I promise you, this is lousy advice! DO NOT 'LIEN' THE OFFICER! Don't even think about it. It will bring you to the attention of all sorts of Federal offices, all of whom will start to investigate you, for reasons you can find elsewhere on PTO. Or search Sovereign Citizens movement. Then search for convictions of 'sovereign citizens'. You'll find that this ind of legal paperwork is simply not honored by the court, but it creates untold hassles for the people involved.

Last edited by nimuay; 10-20-2017 at 07:27 PM..
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nimuay For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (10-20-2017), Ms Sunny (10-20-2017), Nickel Timer (10-20-2017), patchouli (10-20-2017), Patrickj (10-20-2017)
Old 10-20-2017, 07:22 PM

Before going forward, please determine if this was a true prea situation, or someone who objects to hands frisking near genitals or breasts. This is not taken lightly (NY).
Old 10-20-2017, 07:48 PM

Thanked 9,754 Times in 5,502 Posts

I have not known of ANY agency to place someone on any manner of leave pending investigation. If this were the case, there would be ALL sorts of bogus claims, leaving a facility with no staff to provide security.

As to the 'lien' nonsense, it sounds like precisely the sort of crap espoused by the sovereign citizen movement (or other movements with similar levels of stupidity). Ask the Republic of Texas 'members' how well that crap worked out for them...you can write several of them in care of various TDCJ facilities...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (10-21-2017), Nickel Timer (10-20-2017), nimuay (10-20-2017)
Old 10-20-2017, 08:00 PM

It is a federal crime to place a lean on a correctional officer for anything not considered a debt. This would be that. This went into effect after inmates placed a lean on Warden John B Fox. This became a real big issue that caused a lot of problems.
However the leave of absence is BOP policy and not everyone on here was a former inmate and would give sound advice. Even some of the former inmates are more for the guards and laying down for everything. Which is the primary reason the guards get away with so much now.
If he/she was really fondeled, file a complaint. But if it’s simply because of an officer is doing his job so inmates don’t like him, then yes there will be trouble after.

On a side note I do like this site, but keep in mind anyone can have an opinion. Even mine might be wrong but I have done 12 years with most of that as a very successful jailhouse lawyer and pretty successful at it now. The thing that I hated most about prison was how many inmates were willing to just lay down and not stand up for themselves when it came to staff.

Last edited by Jjx062; 10-20-2017 at 08:03 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jjx062 For This Useful Post:
joybubby (10-20-2017), Ms Sunny (10-22-2017)