Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Prison & Criminal Legal Help!
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison & Criminal Legal Help! Ask questions, get opinions, and find resources on dealing with criminal justice legal issues, appeals, and more..

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2017, 05:00 PM
georgiagrama georgiagrama is offline
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Carrollton, Georgia, USA
Posts: 109
Thanks: 9
Thanked 165 Times in 61 Posts
Default How should I proceed?

Part of my son's sentence in the Special Conditions of Probation was: " Residential treatment at a state or court approved provider at his own expense and he shall cooperate with all ruled and regulations of the treatment program, including any aftercare deemed necessary. " During the 5 years he has been incarcerated, he attended the Residential Substance Abuse Treatment program. It was 11 months counting down time and he graduated. My question is, will this satisfy the requirement? He's maxing, through with drugs, and ready to start a new life. I consulted a lawyer who suggested the probation officer could make this decision, and if it didnt' go our way, we would go before a judge. This is all well and good, but leaves it so up in the air. Does anyone have any advice? Going before the judge costs, probation making the decision doesn't, but money isn't all of it, stress and more involvement with the legal system are factors for us. Thoughts? And thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2017, 05:29 PM
fbopnomore fbopnomore is offline
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 27,438
Thanks: 42,383
Thanked 20,509 Times in 11,930 Posts

Unfortunately his PO will make every decision, and many judges rubber stamp whatever they require.

As far as the government is concerned, once a criminal, always a criminal, no matter what they do to prove otherwise. I was told by a number of different "therapists" that there is no such thing as a zero probability of re-offending, but they take your money anyway.

I too was under the misguided opinion that once I served my entire prison sentence, my punishment would be over since I had paid my penalty for the crime, but then the "supervision" punishments began. "At his own expense" was a serious drain on my finances (what was left of them after the prosecutors, lawyers and judge were finished), and "any aftercare deemed necessary (add by the PO here)" turned out to be a repeat of what I had already completed twice before.

It isn't over until it is officially finished and he has been released from supervision.
Reply With Quote


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Request to proceed hindsight Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat 3 05-19-2014 04:43 PM
Illinois HELP- How do we proceed? wifemotherof6 Prison & Criminal Legal Help! 2 10-30-2011 07:11 PM
Need help on how to proceed. error707 Colorado Parole, Probation & Release 3 10-07-2010 01:50 PM
How to proceed? Abrightone Texas Member Introductions & Lone Star Lounge 2 08-18-2008 01:09 PM
New to this and wondering how to proceed Dors77 Death Row & Capital Punishment Discussions 12 06-30-2008 03:36 AM

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:29 AM.
Copyright © 2001- 2017 Prison Talk Online
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Website Design & Custom vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media
Message Board Statistics