Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BECOMING INVOLVED > Prison Activism
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison Activism What's going on? How to become involved.

Old 08-23-2017, 03:47 PM

Default How can I get involved in prison activism?

I would like to know how to become a Prison Activism I have a degree in criminal justice I my decision to obtain a degree in criminal justice was to help people that have been in the system understand there rights and options they have in the system. So if anyone can let me know how I can become a Prison Activism I would highly appreciate it. Thank you. Mrs Chavez
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2017, 04:56 PM

Thanked 1,027 Times in 536 Posts

Research local and national groups already established. Develop a report with your local elected officials and their staff.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedayatatime13 View Post
Research local and national groups already established. Develop a report with your local elected officials and their staff.
Thank you
Old 08-23-2017, 07:07 PM

Thanked 3,966 Times in 2,126 Posts

Good luck I hope you get somewhere and help!! Society needs more people who want to help.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:21 PM
OnparoleinTO

There are lots of ways to do this. As suggested, join one of the many organizations that work on prison justice issues. Become informed on key issues and share that knowledge with your local legislator or her/his staff. Share knowledge with friends and neighbors to help counteract myths about crime and jail. Volunteer to help ex-prisoners readjust. Stay on PTO and help others here as best you can. Write letters to local newspapers. And so on.

Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to onparoleinTO For This Useful Post:
GaReform (08-23-2017)
Old 08-23-2017, 09:59 PM

Thank you onparoleinTO
Old 08-23-2017, 10:48 PM

Thanked 1,215 Times in 497 Posts

How great it is that you want to use your knowledge to help those who need it most. Any organization would be glad to have your help. Are there any areas of reform that you want to focus on? I'm sure there are some ones in your area that need help but the internet makes it possible for you to remotely assist others in different states.

You might check out the National Incarceration Association https://joinnia.com/ . Another excellent national group is the Prison Fellowship https://www.prisonfellowship.org/ They are making efforts to help bring awareness to issues affecting those who are currently incarcerated as well as those who have been affected by involvement in the system. Your talents would be put to use there & really make a difference.

A group in CA that looks interesting is the Anti-Recidivism Coalition http://www.antirecidivism.org/ They do work to help the formerly incarcerated & also advocate for reform.

Whatever you do will be appreciated & help change the lives of people that really need the help.
The Following User Says Thank You to GaReform For This Useful Post:
onparoleinTO (08-24-2017)
Old 08-27-2017, 01:13 AM
Alferd Packer fan

Thanked 1,033 Times in 597 Posts

If you want to advocate for a particular prisoner, make sure that you know their case. I made that error when a friend asked for my help with his son's case. I did not review the case like I should have and found out that my now-former friend had lied. People will do the stupidest crap, and it baffles you until the end of time. If they want help, why lie? Do they understand what happens when they lie to one advocate? Other advocates keep a distance. It's stupid, but people do it. They are so wrapped up in their own lies that they begin to believe them, themselves.

And if they lie about that, you could be in trouble being around them as your safety is now in question.

Being an activist has it's moments, for sure.
"I swore never to be silent whenever human beings endure suffering and humiliation. We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." -- Elie Weisel
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cornered For This Useful Post:
GaReform (08-27-2017), xolady (08-27-2017)