Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ILLINOIS > Illinois Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Illinois Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events Current news items and information on events related to the Illinois prison system.

Old 04-11-2017, 01:10 PM
Donation Award 

Default Support Illinois Senate Bill 19: stop the layoff of 120 correctional nurses

Hello everyone! My name is Robin and I have a son currently incarcerated in the Illinois Department of Corrections. I also am a retired corrections nurse, dedicating my entire nursing career to the quality health care of offenders incarcerated in Illinois. I retired in 2008 after 28 years. I now work for the Illinois Nurses Association and represent the 120+ state nurses that Governor Rauner has served lay-off notices to effective June 15th. The nurses are employed at Decatur, Dixon, East Moline, Graham, Jacksonville, Logan, Menard, Pontiac, Sheridan, Stateville, Vandalia, and Vienna.
I write this to ask families of offenders to support Senate Bill 19, a bill that will keep state nurses employed. Many of these nurses have over 15 years of dedicated service to this nursing specialty.
INA, who represents these nurses, firmly believes that this lay-off will further diminish the quality of health care in these facilities. The medical vendor, currently contracted to provide these services is falling short in the care they are paid by tax payers to provide. This is evident by the number of lawsuits currently pending against this company as well as the large number of vacant key positions such as nurses and doctors.
If these nurses are laid-off who will replace them? Who will be a patient advocate for over 45,000 incarcerated persons? Who will be present to monitor health care in these facilities?
Senate Bill 19 has passed out of the Senate and the House. It is currently on Governor Rauner's desk awaiting signature OR veto. I am asking that families please call the Governor and ask that he sign this bill into law immediately. I am also requesting that families call their local Representative and ask them to support this bill if a veto override is needed.
All support is greatly appreciated!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to robinbest For This Useful Post:
Bethann71 (09-12-2017), IzzyLouWho (04-11-2017), trauma4us (04-28-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2017, 07:51 PM

Thanks for this post.

I'm actually an NP in IL (not in corrections) but have a son in IDOC. Because of what I do for a living, I do interact with nurses in IDOC - this is criminal. There is at least one (that I personally know of) that is only 1 year from retirement.

This is not right....
Old 04-11-2017, 10:42 PM
Crazy Cajun Super Moderator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member PTO Super Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 17,191 Times in 6,855 Posts

Is there a petition somewhere that we can sign? It seems to me that Corrections needs all the medical personnel they can get!

Old 04-11-2017, 10:46 PM
Donation Award 

No petition yet but good idea! Just asking for phone calls to be made right now.