Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BECOMING INVOLVED > Prison Activism
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison Activism What's going on? How to become involved.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:28 PM
OnparoleinTO

Default Great article on prison abolition

I just read a terrific piece (though to be fair it's long, very academic and written in a law journal - but then I like that kind of stuff ) about abolishing prisons. In case anyone is interested it's by Dr Allegra McLeod, of Georgetown Law School. The paper is called "Prison Abolition and Grounded Justice" and was published in 2015. You can download it free from a site called SSRN - just look under her name. (SSRN has a lot of good academic work on criminal justice; another of my favs there is Dr Melissa Hamilton from Univ of Houston).

If anyone takes this up I'd appreciate knowing - just wondering how many other nerds are on here....
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to onparoleinTO For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (03-28-2017), gvalliant (03-28-2017), jadah (03-28-2017), Tina (03-28-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onparoleinTO View Post
I just read a terrific piece (though to be fair it's long, very academic and written in a law journal - but then I like that kind of stuff ) about abolishing prisons. In case anyone is interested it's by Dr Allegra McLeod, of Georgetown Law School. The paper is called "Prison Abolition and Grounded Justice" and was published in 2015. You can download it free from a site called SSRN - just look under her name. (SSRN has a lot of good academic work on criminal justice; another of my favs there is Dr Melissa Hamilton from Univ of Houston).

If anyone takes this up I'd appreciate knowing - just wondering how many other nerds are on here....
I'm a nerd from your neck of the woods, maybe nerd is a Canadian thing. I got to page 20 this morning. It is slow reading but bold ideas. She makes analogy of abolishing prison / incarceration to abolishing slavery. Hmm. And other than for the small number of "dangerous few" (a concept she defines), completely changing criminal justice, enforcement, prisons. I'll finish reading. Interesting enough I want understand what she really means by all that.
The Following User Says Thank You to gvalliant For This Useful Post:
onparoleinTO (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onparoleinTO View Post

Nerds unite Im reading the article. So far I can agree with the Dr's. statement,"
"improved design of spaces and products to reduce opportunities for offending."

We have had the technology for so long, sensors on the steering wheel that can read a persons B.A.C. and prevent operation of a motor vehicle if the driver is impaired.Why is'nt this standard equipment on new cars. My bias before even reading the article is that prisons, and law enforcement are too big of a cash cow, and they want to keep the party going. That said, I have been incarcerated, and I am glad we have law enforcement officers. and judges, and prisons. I have met several men that I was glad to see locked down for the safety of society,and I have met men who are angels,Bodhisattvas,doing time .

Last edited by russelln61; 03-28-2017 at 10:30 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to russelln61 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2017, 11:35 AM

Thanked 1,056 Times in 587 Posts

The preventive approach is most obviously needed when looking at women's prisons. A majority, a large majority, of the inmates have trauma and abuse backgrounds. Backgrounds like that put people's wheels on the tracks toward hard drugs and abusive relationships. Being in an abusive relationship means a choice of staying and being coerced into the man's illegal activities, or leaving and having no legal means of support, or fighting back.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minor activist For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2017, 04:16 PM

My last stint in Texas was spent at the little town of Granger Texas. A local judge had set up a scheme to incarcerate us under probation violations, with some Felons coming right straight from Texas prisons. I spent 10 months there. The food was great until the budget was cut. and they took away our green salsa and salads.
That Judge is now in Federal prison, or maybe he got out, He didnt get much time any way.
They tried to keep a constant balance of 30 Females and 70 males.
One of the females rehabilitation requirements involved a listing of every male or female they had ever had sex with. Man If you guys want an ego deflation get your old lady to tell ya this stuff.
I spent 3 years in the USMC and the things these ladies confessed made me blush.
I learned alot about women.
I guess the best thing I learned was that, if your wife is with you, its because she choose you over all the others.