Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Drug & Alcohol Treatment & Rehabilitation > Prisoner Addiction Resources
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prisoner Addiction Resources Prison and prison release specific topics and resources regarding addiction.

Old 09-12-2016, 05:42 PM

Default BIL being released Thursday--addicted to Heroin. Need resources/Cali

This is my first post so I apologize if I'm doing it incorrectly. I will try to err on the side of too much information rather than too little in hopes someone can direct me to the appropriate resources. Thank you so much in advance for your time and consideration.

My brother in law (BIL) is currently in prison for a felony hit and run. He's set to be released on special parole next Thursday after serving about 2 and 1/2 years. He was addicted to heroin before his hit and run, but was able to get clean for the first year or so in prison, however, he is now fully addicted again. Apparently he owes other prisoners money and/or he's being shaken down for extra cash, so much so that he apparently fears for his life. He told my MIL at their visit this Saturday that a gang member told him that if he didn't stab another inmate, he would be stabbed. My MIL insisted that he turn himself into protective custody and she walked with him to a guard who immediately put him in isolation. I am assuming that he is still in protective custody and will remain there until his potential release next week.

Since he is addicted to heroin, he, and our family think it's best that upon his release he go into a rehab program. My MIL mentioned that he would most likely enter the following Monday (he'll be released on a Thursday)...
My worries/concerns are:

- What is the likelihood that he'll be released at all considering that he was using heroin in prison on Saturday before he went into protective custody? Do they drug test in prison? Will that add time to his sentence?

- if he does get out on a Thursday, what should be done with him to keep him clean until he can enter a program on a Monday? If he is still addicted (and doesn't go through withdrawal in protective custody) what should be done? Wouldn't it be best to go directly from prison to a rehab program? We've been told that we have to work with the PO to find a rehab program-- we have not had a lot of luck finding out any information about the types of programs that are compatible with the requirements for the California special parole terms. Can anyone recommend a rehab center in San Bernardino? Does he have to stay in San Bernadino or can he do a rehab in an adjoining county? He will have Molina HMO insurance, if that makes a difference?

I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch of stuff but right now my big concern is coming up with some sort of plan for his release since we'd like to help get him clean and avoid going back into the system. Again, thank you so much for reading and for any help or guidance you can offer!
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2016, 05:56 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 29,339 Times in 13,666 Posts

Oh, what a mess. I'm so sorry Kudos to your mil for using her head and knowing enough to ask for PC.

I'm not familiar with that area, but perhaps you can call the PO office and ask anonymously about DOC approved rehabs.

I wish you, your bil and family the best of luck. I hope it all works out....if he is released Thursday, lock up any valuables and/or pain meds in the residence he's being paroled to
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
miamac (09-12-2016), Sarianna (09-13-2016), TryingtohelpBIL (09-12-2016)
Old 09-12-2016, 05:57 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 13,880 Times in 5,340 Posts

It's unlikely that a 115 for a dirty UA will end up in extra time on his sentence. I won't swear to that, but in the limited experience I have there, it would need to be a bit bigger than a dirty UA.

I'm not familiar with the term "special parole" as a generic type of release but it's most certainly true that you would need a letter of acceptance from a program to submit to his PO and they would need to approve his placement.

A week out is pretty short notice but I'm sure it's been done.
Here is a link to the behavioral health department of SB. There is another link that should be able to assist you in finding options for treatment or how to handle his homecoming if necessary.

Barring getting him into inpatient rehab, what are the conditions of his parole that deal with housing and drug treatment, if any?

Best of luck.

Last edited by miamac; 09-12-2016 at 06:02 PM.. Reason: fix link
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
patchouli (09-12-2016), Sarianna (09-13-2016)
Old 09-12-2016, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
It's unlikely that a 115 for a dirty UA will end up in extra time on his sentence. I won't swear to that, but in the limited experience I have there, it would need to be a bit bigger than a dirty UA.

I'm not familiar with the term "special parole" as a generic type of release but it's most certainly true that you would need a letter of acceptance from a program to submit to his PO and they would need to approve his placement.

A week out is pretty short notice but I'm sure it's been done.
Here is a to the behavioral health department of SB. There is anotherlink that should be able to assist you in finding options for treatment ]how to handle[/url] his homecoming if necessary.

Barring getting him into inpatient rehab, what are the conditions of his parole that deal with housing and drug treatment, if any?

Best of luck.
Thank you! Those links are very helpful.
I don't have all the terms of his parole but my MIL sent me some of his special conditions:
006* You shall enroll in and successfully complete a substance abuse treatment program as directed by you parole agent or appropriate parole authority.
Old 09-12-2016, 06:28 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 13,880 Times in 5,340 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryingtohelpBIL View Post
Thank you! Those links are very helpful.
I don't have all the terms of his parole but my MIL sent me some of his special conditions:
006* You shall enroll in and successfully complete a substance abuse treatment program as directed by you parole agent or appropriate parole authority.
Ok, that last bit is helpful in that the PO is likely to approve an inpatient program provided one will accept him and he has the means to pay for it (insurance, private pay, whatever). The way it's worded does not require inpatient and could be as loose as attending NA. That's not going to cut it if he's just coming off heroin. I'd try phoning some of the centers on that list and just spit the story out and see what they say. It also seems like if you're going to be making contact with potential rehab facilities, you might need to be in direct contact with the person overseeing his parole. I don't know how that works given that it sounds like that person is mom right now, but the last thing you have time for is misinformation. His release clock is ticking.

Best to you, my prayers for your family and please come back and let us know how things are going when you have time.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
patchouli (09-12-2016), Sarianna (09-13-2016), sidewalker (09-14-2016)