Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Prison & Criminal Legal Help!
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison & Criminal Legal Help! Ask questions, get opinions, and find resources on dealing with criminal justice legal issues, appeals, and more..

Old 09-06-2016, 11:21 AM

Default IRA and brokerage accounts

Looks like I'm going to take a plea deal and be out in 3 years with good time..state prison.

I've got an individual retirement account (IRA) at Schwab and I've been reading that eventually they will find out and close my account because they don't want customers with felony convictions...which means an early distribution, penalties, taxes and the money won't keep growing while I'm away.

Has anyone found a felony friendly financial firm that will allow those of us with criminal convictions to have an account with them?

I have stocks in the account so needs to be a brokerage firm like Schwab, Fidelity etc....also, my crime is not financial or fraudulent or stealing.

thanks for all the great info on this board!
The Following User Says Thank You to dire1straits For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (10-21-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2016, 02:04 PM

Default Re: IRA and brokerage accounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dire1straits View Post
Looks like I'm going to take a plea deal and be out in 3 years with good time..state prison.

I've got an individual retirement account (IRA) at Schwab and I've been reading that eventually they will find out and close my account because they don't want customers with felony convictions...which means an early distribution, penalties, taxes and the money won't keep growing while I'm away.

Has anyone found a felony friendly financial firm that will allow those of us with criminal convictions to have an account with them?

I have stocks in the account so needs to be a brokerage firm like Schwab, Fidelity etc....also, my crime is not financial or fraudulent or stealing.

I did three years with the Feds (released to the street November 2002). Later I started my own business and around 2006 I opened a SEP IRA with the Scottrade brokerage. This is a self-directed retirement account. I have steadily funded it over the years and have not had any problems. Maybe eventually they'll close it. Who knows? If so, I'll take my business elsewhere. There are numerous other brokerages.

On the other hand, Chase Bank closed all of my personal accounts (including my minor daughter's 529 college savings plan) around 2013 presumably due to my criminal conviction (although they never said why). This was inconvenient, but not really much of a problem. I took a cashier's check for the balance of my accounts and walked across the street to the credit union. I've been banking there with no problems ever since, and I am happier with the service at the credit union anyway. Now Chase sends me credit card offers which go straight into the trash.

My suggestion to you would be to simply try it. Open an account with the brokerage of your choice and see what happens. If they close your account, you won't lose your money. Just take your business somewhere else.

Hope this helps.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to corey1967 For This Useful Post:
dire1straits (09-06-2016), fbopnomore (09-06-2016), Nickel Timer (09-08-2016), Patrickj (09-06-2016), sidewalker (09-07-2016)
Old 09-06-2016, 04:19 PM
attorney

Thanked 19,681 Times in 7,091 Posts

if you have a broker or financial advisor, talk with him/her. Find out what their policy is and whether that person can help you by placing a few calls and finding an institution that deals with felons. You can also talk with your bank as more and more banks are offering this sort of service as well.

Good on you to plan ahead and deal with this now, not later.
The Following User Says Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
dire1straits (09-07-2016)
Old 09-06-2016, 08:41 PM

Thanked 9,770 Times in 5,508 Posts

There are plenty of people in prison who have various investment accounts...about once ever month of six weeks, I get a client that has a good-sized account and where they provide the statements for inclusion with materials to the Board.

Do not automatically presume that every brokerage is going to say they no longer want your business. If they do, then you take their FBO check and immediately roll it into an account elsewhere...no tax consequences should exist in that scenario. I base THAT claim on my own personal experience of changing where I had accounts parked...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
dire1straits (09-07-2016), yourself (09-07-2016)
Old 09-07-2016, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dire1straits View Post

You should have no problem at all doing a trustee-to-trustee transfer.

Almost all banks have a brokerage arm of some sort that can hold securities.

It's hard for me to imagine that a firm would just close your account, sell your securities, and cut you a check. You could always read the fine print about what they have to do if they don't want your business anymore.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redtop43 For This Useful Post:
dire1straits (09-09-2016), fbopnomore (09-08-2016)
Old 09-08-2016, 02:08 PM
Ex-Prisoner & ACLU Intern
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,059 Times in 825 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey1967 View Post
On the other hand, Chase Bank closed all of my personal accounts (including my minor daughter's 529 college savings plan) around 2013 presumably due to my criminal conviction (although they never said why).
Wow, Chase is really hostile. I posted in that other "rebuilding your credit" thread about how Chase is the only bank I've dealt with that apparently has me blacklisted from opening any credit accounts they manage, like through Amazon.com.

I originally just assumed it was because I defaulted on a Chase credit card 12 years ago, but now I'm beginning to wonder if it's because of my criminal record and the fact that I was in prison when they tried to unsuccessfully collect way back when.

Screw them indeed. We can take our business to a much more friendly credit union instead.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nickel Timer For This Useful Post:
dire1straits (09-09-2016)
Old 09-09-2016, 03:50 PM

thanks for the suggestions! thought I would post some more detail for anyone else that may run into this...if you google "brokerage account felon" or something similar you will see some experiences that folks are having with financial firms closing their accounts.

I can't find the article, but the reason cited is that the internet age has made criminal checks as easy and common as credit reports...so now financial firms will know about criminal backgrounds just as easily as they run credit reports on people...and within about six months they will know if someone is a felon....this seems to be a fairly recent development...within the last year or two

most brokers like schwab and fidelity have clauses in their account agreements that let them close your account for "any reason, any time" and the incidents I've read about when pressed as to why they just say for business purposes or something vague.

i guess the best advice I've seen so far have been to ask the firm first (although they may say no problem and then cancel the account six months later - 'any reason any time") or remove the convicted felon's name from all accounts and just leave in the spouse's name.
Old 10-21-2017, 11:13 AM

Default Brokerage Accounts (Especially IRAs) for Felons

Is anyone aware of any brokerage company that lets felons keep their accounts (especially IRAs)?

I was recently sentenced for a felony and just got notice that TD Ameritrade wants to close my IRA.
Old 10-21-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Mack View Post
Is anyone aware of any brokerage company that lets felons keep their accounts (especially IRAs)?

I was recently sentenced for a felony and just got notice that TD Ameritrade wants to close my IRA.
I have a few that are still with Edward Jones. I would have to pull files to see who else was being used. Much of the willingness of a company to do business may have to do with the nature of the offense AND the amount in the account...it is a lot easier to tell someone NO when there is only ten or fifteen thousand at play versus the client who has low seven figures...
Old 10-21-2017, 12:46 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 17,197 Times in 10,380 Posts

The prior military member's best friend (you are eligible for life) USAA, will cancel vehicle, homeowner's, etc. insurance for anyone who served prison time for a crime. They may also provide you with a less than accurate reason for the cancellation, like "get rid of your dog" or "we aren't cancelling your insurance, we just won't let you renew it". Apparently a criminal record isn't enough justification for the insurance regulators to allow the cancellation of zero claim insurance coverage, otherwise they would have admitted why they were kicking me out.

The only issue I have had with anyone over my criminal conviction was with USAA.

Last edited by fbopnomore; 10-21-2017 at 12:51 PM..
Old 10-21-2017, 04:04 PM

Thanked 1,220 Times in 500 Posts

That is so bizarre! I never even considered that they would have a problem with taking your money. Now if your crime was money laundering or embezzlement then maybe it might make some sort of weird sense. I guess they don't mind taking money from crooked business people or politicians but heaven forbid that a CRIMINAL would want to have an account with them.
Old 10-21-2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaReform View Post
That is so bizarre! I never even considered that they would have a problem with taking your money. Now if your crime was money laundering or embezzlement then maybe it might make some sort of weird sense. I guess they don't mind taking money from crooked business people or politicians but heaven forbid that a CRIMINAL would want to have an account with them.
Given the manner by which the Courts can attach funds, many financial institutions simply decided that it is easier to cut ties than it is to have to fund positions to do nothing more than deal with the attachment orders.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:53 PM

This is concerning to me.... our wealth management team know of the conviction—they cut the check for restitution off our acct. we are with Charles Schwab. Seriously, can this felony conviction really affect our insurance policies, local bank Accts, and investment Accts? The conviction has nothing to do with drugs and there is a complete paper trail of where our money was earned....does that make any difference?
Old 10-21-2017, 10:18 PM

Default Insurance

My husband is SS before the end of the year. In re to insurance (as mentioned above), while we don't have USAA, I had read online that it can happen if you cancel auto insurance you may have trouble getting insurance once they get out. I was wondering if that's true? I'm debating just keeping him on the insurance so that this is not an issue when he gets out. It seems easier than to call my insurance company (Geico) and tell them he's in prison and risk being dinged somehow for that, and then have them boot us altogether or deem us as high risk when he's out and or whatever and not insure us. Has anyone had any kind of problem like this.

Also, what about health insurance? Fortunately, I can remove him off our health insurance just in time at year-end, but what happens when he comes home in the middle of the year? How do I add him back to my policy? Do I need to do it effective Jan 1 of the year he comes home, hence pay for extra months? Trying to get our ducks in row before he leaves.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:40 AM

My auto insurance recently went up (almost doubled) mid-policy...it went from $340 to $600....they claimed it was due to a non-auto claim through another company. My husband was hunting and his CanAm hit a rut on top of a levy and he flipped down the levy into a lake. It is not something that would show up on his MVR(motor vehicle record).
Old 10-22-2017, 06:16 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 17,197 Times in 10,380 Posts

You may, or may not run into problems because of his conviction. Chances are that your "wealth management" accounts will be fighting to keep you as a customer.

So many completely unpredictable "might, but probably won't" problems could arise, but I try not to borrow trouble, so the only way I will get involved is if something actually goes wrong.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsDeeKay View Post
My auto insurance recently went up (almost doubled) mid-policy...it went from $340 to $600....they claimed it was due to a non-auto claim through another company. My husband was hunting and his CanAm hit a rut on top of a levy and he flipped down the levy into a lake. It is not something that would show up on his MVR(motor vehicle record).
It might not be on the usual MVR reports but it WOULD be on the CLUE report if he had filed a claim with any other underwriting entity... https://personalreports.lexisnexis.c...ms/landing.jsp

The problem here that may lend to a complaint with State regulators is the change of premium mid-term. You need to look at both the terms of the policy and current State law to see if that is permissible. In MOST places, the premium quoted at the beginning of the term is what you are going to pay...they can jack the rate or non-renew at the expiration of the term, but not change it mid-term.

Last edited by CenTexLyn; 10-22-2017 at 06:44 AM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (10-22-2017), MrsDeeKay (10-22-2017), Nickel Timer (10-22-2017)