Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > The War on Drugs - and the results of it
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

The War on Drugs - and the results of it A war against drugs, or against families?

Old 08-30-2016, 08:37 PM

Cool Medical Marijuana

Something doesn't make sense to me.
I keep reading how medical marijuana is supposed to be regulated by state law, but that it is still illegal federally. But out of the 50 states, 25 are medical. So does that mean we just need to get one more medical state and then federally the medical states would be the majority and it would have to be recognized federally?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2016, 08:39 PM

I think this is a good point anyway.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:55 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 13,876 Times in 5,338 Posts

I don't know about "have to" and I think there will still be states that drag their feet legalizing it on any level. My home state legalized for recreational use last year. I'll be glad when the rest of the country catches up. The US has its Puritanical head in the sand on certain issues and to me, this is a big one.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (08-30-2016)
Old 08-30-2016, 09:29 PM
attorney

Thanked 19,676 Times in 7,090 Posts

No. The federal law has not been repealed and cannot be repealed simply because states have in place medical marijuana laws. Technically, you can be busted for federal possession, distribution, blah,blah,blah at this point but Obama has made it clear to the USA and the DEA and others that marijuana is not a priority. Let me be clear - when the president changes, that policy can change and you may have the Feds busting down the doors of the distributors, killing the medical licenses of the doctors prescribing, etc.

To get the federal laws repealed, you need to have federal law makers repeal the laws. Atm congress will not do this because it is too heavily republican. It does not matter what the state's say - the DEA enforces federal drug laws, and federally, pot consumption for whatever reason, medical or not, is against the law.

Remember, state law does not dictate federal law. A majority of states accepting medical marijuana means nothing if those same states don't convince their elected officials to make the same changes federally. You want legal pot, vote for congressmen who will repeal the laws and allow pot to be legal. Otherwise all 50 states can legalize medicinal marijuana and recreational marijuana and the Feds can still bust your ass for smoking/eating/vaping/whatever.

Understand?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
Bored (08-30-2016), miamac (08-30-2016), patchouli (09-01-2016), Sarianna (08-30-2016), sidewalker (08-31-2016)
Old 09-01-2016, 06:12 AM

Thanked 1,056 Times in 587 Posts

Dang, I wish I could post that usefully.

There is one more wrinkle. We don't have Federal legalization, but we do have slightly protective legislation that forbids Federal law enforcement from spending any money to go after anyone who is following their home state's law. That clause was added to a 2014 budget bill (Consolidated Appropriations Act sec. 542). There were some prosecutions anyway until the 9th Circuit slapped them down.

The situation is, as yourself pointed out, fragile. One of the appeals judges noted "Congress could restore funding tomorrow, a year from now, or four years from now, and the government could then prosecute individuals who committed offenses while the government lacked funding.”

I don't know which is the case number to look up in PACER,
3:14-cr-00016-
MMC-3 or 15-10117
The 3:14 one looks more like numbers I've looked up successfully.

A Google search for "United States v. McIntosh" will take you to a PDF with the court opinion.

I am looking forward to the day when I can post links.
Old 12-09-2016, 02:45 AM

You don't want to use medical marijuana. It is processed with a bunch of chemicals.