Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Prison & Criminal Legal Help!
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison & Criminal Legal Help! Ask questions, get opinions, and find resources on dealing with criminal justice legal issues, appeals, and more..

Old 07-04-2016, 04:30 AM
Ex-Prisoner & ACLU Intern
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,059 Times in 825 Posts
Question Felon Restoration of Firearm Rights WITHOUT Getting a Pardon

I just stumbled across a very interesting development here in Idaho... apparently the Commission of Pardons and Parole is now entertaining applications for Restoration of Firearm Rights for state felons, separate from the normal Pardon application process, which used to be the only avenue state felons had to seek relief from their firearms disability.

http://parole.idaho.gov/RestorationO...rmsRights.html

I already tried going through the normal pardon application process as soon as I was eligible (3 years after topping out, off-paper), and was denied, of course, since pardons are so rarely granted anyway, usually only for minor crimes, and often times only decades after one's conviction, assuming a totally clean record since.

But I'm wondering if this new process might be less rigorous, less likely to be denied, since you aren't seeking a full redress of your criminal history, but rather just restoration of your remaining civil rights? (Here in Idaho, all felons get all their other civil rights, including right to vote and serve on jury duty automatically restored upon completion of their entire sentence, including any probation/parole. I just got summoned for jury duty myself a couple months ago, and haven't missed an election since I topped out.)

Does anyone know if any other states offer this option to ex-cons who have completed their entire sentence? I'm wondering if this is something our state legislature may have recently passed, as this is the first I've heard of it myself... we are a pretty pro-Second Amendment state, yet granting ANY relief to former criminals is usually anathema to conservatives who dominate our legislature, so I'm kind of surprised, to say the least.

(Note, none of this applies to federal felons, who are still currently barred from getting their firearms rights restored short of a presidential pardon due to lack of ATF funding for relief applications. See: https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/ther...s-firearms-and )
The Following User Says Thank You to Nickel Timer For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-04-2016)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2016, 10:49 AM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 29,342 Times in 13,667 Posts

I came across the following article this morning about felons & gun ownership in Virginia:

In Virginia, felon voting rights mean simpler path to gun ownership

RICHMOND — Gov. Terry McAuliffe’s order last month restoringthe voting rights of 206,000 felons had an unintended consequence: It’s now easier for those ex-offenders to regain the right to own guns.
Before the order, felons who wanted to legally possess firearms first had to go through the process of having their civil rights reinstated, including the right to vote, to sit on a jury and to run for office.
That process — which involved submitting forms that were scrutinized by the secretary of the commonwealth’s staff, using the governor’s authority — is no longer in place.

Read the entire article HERE.

We'll just have to wait for the dust to clear before the know the end of the story