Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > World Prison News
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

World Prison News Post info (IF it doesn't belong in another PTO forum) about the prison system, prisoner support, criminal justice, etc., that you learn firsthand, through the media, from an inmate, or any other source. News can be local, state, Federal, or int'l.

Old 05-13-2016, 03:41 AM

Thumbs up Leslie Van Houten (Manson family) granted parole again, 2017

Really wasn't sure where to put this, whether it should go in Prison News, or in this sort of "catch all" subforum. Please feel free to move it if it would be more appropriate elsewhere.

"Charles Manson follower Leslie Van Houten was granted parole on April 16 during her 21st parole hearing and after 46 years in prison, despite her chilling testimony and pleas from her victims families’ to keep her in prison. As previously reported by the Inquisitr, Van Houten was just 19 when she joined Charles Manson’s cult and participated in one of the most gruesome murders of the 20th Century.
Known as the “Helter Skelter” killings, members of Charles Manson’s “family” brutally murdered seven people in 1969, including pregnant actress Sharon Tate and four other people at Tate’s home, as well as Rosemary and Leno LaBianca, who were killed the following day."

Read the full article at: http://www.inquisitr.com/3065585/cha...SFm8uVAbAVC.99

Interesting. This could explain why my last letter was returned to sender! Good for her! I hope the governor signs off on it.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nastyfacts For This Useful Post:
choclgs (09-07-2017), fbopnomore (05-13-2016), patchouli (05-13-2016), yourself (09-07-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2016, 07:46 AM
Banned

Has she actually been released from prison? Has the Governor of California approved her release? I could be mistaken but I think I read somewhere that lifers seeking parole in California have to win the approval of both the Parole Board and the Governor.

46 years in a long time. I hope this woman is able to spend the remaining years of her life outside the walls of a state prison.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:36 AM
Southern Fried Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 2,524 Times in 977 Posts

The article states she has to wait for approval from the board and the governor, like you stated. So I assume she's still in prison.

I cannot even imagine living incarcerated for the amount of time she has. The world is going to be completely new and different.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:26 PM

Yes, she needs approval from the governor. I hope he signs it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nastyfacts For This Useful Post:
Puppy Jack (05-26-2016), TawnyStar (07-25-2016)
Old 07-22-2016, 09:57 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 29,338 Times in 13,665 Posts

Well, he didn't sign it

California governor denies parole for Manson follower

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) -- California Gov. Jerry Brown denied parole Friday for Leslie Van Houten, the youngest follower of murderous cult leader Charles Manson who is serving a life sentence for killing a wealthy grocer and his wife more than 40 years ago.
Brown overturned the recommendation of a parole board that found Van Houten was no-longer the violent young woman who committed a gruesome murder and was now fit for release. She has completed college degrees and been a model inmate.

Read the entire article below:

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/c...010333168.html
Old 07-22-2016, 10:09 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 13,877 Times in 5,339 Posts

What a waste...

With all due respect to the victims and their loved ones, this is no longer justice. It's tax payer money being flushed along with what's left of her life in order to not cause waves.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
jjenn (07-26-2016), KobeDeuce (07-23-2016), Ms Sunny (07-23-2016), patchouli (07-22-2016), sidewalker (07-23-2016), TawnyStar (07-25-2016), WeepingWillow (07-24-2016)
Old 07-23-2016, 05:59 AM

This is a touchy/hard one on me her crime was horrible and sick.But at the same time she is a old lady and no longer a threat to society.She has been in prison for over 40+years,I doubt she would do anything violent or any crime again(i'm assuming).My heart says let her go but my mind still thinks of the victims who died due to her horrible crime.So I dont know on this one..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to someguyfrommars For This Useful Post:
Huskers (07-24-2016), miamac (07-24-2016)
Old 07-23-2016, 07:38 AM

Sorry, but... No sympathy for Manson Family members here. What they did was far beyond merely horrific. It was beyond human. I don’t even know how to describe what they did. I just don’t see forgiveness or mercy for the Manson Family.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Combs For This Useful Post:
Dobbie_Elf (07-29-2016), Texasflower08 (07-26-2016), tglsmom (07-23-2016), xolady (08-02-2016)
Old 07-23-2016, 10:40 PM
She's Home! Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,750 Times in 1,606 Posts

I'm on the fence.

I have issues with Manson family members getting release. My biggest concern is if Van Houten, who's probably the most "model prisoner" of the bunch, gets released....it opens the floodgates for Bruce Davis and Tex Watson.....I'll stop short of saying Charlie himself because I don't think there's a sane person in this world who wants him out (his wife/girlthing and her buddy with the website don't constitute "sane people" in my opinion.)

On the other hand, she was out on bail while her case was on appeal in the 70's, lived in Echo Park, held a job, and was a solid citizen. If there is ONE Manson Family member where you probably could make a case that she is no longer a threat to society because she showed 40 or so years ago that actually she can function in society and not be a threat, it's her.

Just my thoughts.

-E
The Colorblind Moderator (I'm not even going to try to use green down here, I'll embarass myself! LOL!) Currently assisting in all forums and actively monitoring Wives and Girlfriends in Prison and the California forums.

#ByeCDCR #TimesUp #HomeForChristmas
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to missingdee For This Useful Post:
miamac (07-24-2016), patchouli (07-24-2016), Patrickj (07-24-2016), WeepingWillow (07-24-2016)
Old 07-24-2016, 09:33 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 25,405 Times in 13,073 Posts

Im not sure what I feel about this either.
While I'd like to see her get released on parole it seems like she wont ever be released.
She was so young when all this happened.
I just dont know.
It seems like a waste to keep her in prison at this point. That whole group......just wow.
I dont remember alot of it as I was fairly young...but I do remember it was horrific.
All over the papers, tv news.
I am glad she tries to do what she can to better herself. She certainly isnt the same person that went in at 19.

That's my dog's nose art

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
miamac (07-24-2016), missingdee (07-24-2016), patchouli (07-24-2016), Patrickj (07-24-2016)
Old 07-24-2016, 01:36 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Thanked 13,877 Times in 5,339 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalker View Post
[...]. She certainly isnt the same person that went in at 19.
...under the heavy influence of drugs and a manipulative personality like Manson.

I find it hypocritical that in CA we now have shifted guidelines for youth offenders convicted under the age of 23 because of the proven psychological immaturity...but not for her? At least not in the public eye. Yes, her crime was horrific, but she was 19 and it seems highly unlikely that without the unique set of circumstances surrounding the crime that she would have done this on her own. So why is she not afforded the second chance that some of our loved ones have been handed?
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Abi (08-02-2016), missingdee (07-26-2016), Miss_A (07-24-2016), patchouli (07-24-2016), sidewalker (07-25-2016), TawnyStar (07-25-2016)
Old 07-24-2016, 01:49 PM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 1,597 Times in 790 Posts

There are certain individuals that are doing life terms for murder who in my opinion will never be released. Manson followers, are just one another one is Robert Kennedy's killer and a few more . These crimes and the person(s)that are involved become political pawns. Especially when the victim come from money or has a family history of money.
I do not agree with the actions of these individuals but after this many years of being in prison. How can the still be a threat to society? Most of society does not know who these people are until the media, and rich family members get on their band wagon. There have been others released fro more heinous acts of murder then the people I speak of. So.What is the difference in their situation? The victims family (long lost family) doesn't complain or even know that the person who done such harm to a family member is still around. Many family members of the victim just simply want to put this tragedy behind them and mover on. Attending a lifer hearing for someone convicted of murder opens old wounds that most would rather leave some what healed. Victims get forgotten about also after many years.
I can speak from experniced here about the lifer hearing process and being a victim's friend plus I am appointed by the victims mother to speak on her behalf at the hearing.( by P.O.A.) Sitting in the same room with the person that robbed me of a loving friend and sole mate. Opens up a lot of emotions towards the person on the other side of that table. That I have covered up for years. I understand why people just choose to stay away from the hearing process.
miamac (07-24-2016), missingdee (07-24-2016), xolady (08-02-2016)
Old 07-24-2016, 09:07 PM
Donation Award 

I'm like others - on the fence. I know how much my brother has changed in 17+ years behind bars - bank robbery. But if it were my loved one - I wouldn't want their killer out walking free.
Old 07-26-2016, 04:57 PM

She don't deserve to be free after all the lives she helped murder.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:52 PM

She was 19. Unfortunately, people are not fully cooked at 19. Although I understand the logic behind making children legal adults at the age of 18, I think one of the biggest disservices we did to our children was when we lowered the age of legal adulthood from 21 to 18.

I suspect most of you who are in your 30s remember how you were at 19 - and if you're honest, there are several things during that one year of your life that you look at now and wonder, "What in the name of all that is holy was I thinking?"

Those of you who have raised children beyond the age of 19 know that they didn't have walking-around sense when they were that age - and unfortunately were influenced more by their peers than their parents.

Unfortunately, Leslie Van Houten was 19, without walking-around sense - and she had the misfortune to meet Charlie...an older guy with a world's more experience and a good line of bullshit (pardon my French). She went to the LaBianca house because Charlie said to go - and because Charlie wanted to make sure that she got her hands dirty, she stabbed a dead Rosemary LaBianca in the butt.

She has worked hard to improve herself. She has taken responsibility for what she did and expressed sincere remorse. She is not cut from the same cloth as Susan Atkins, Patricia Krenwinkle and Tex Watson. (Don't get me started on Linda Kasabian.) Go watch some of her interviews - there are probably several on YouTube - and listen to her. She doesn't make excuses, she doesn't claim to have found God - she admits what she did.

It was pretty much a foregone conclusion that Jerry Brown would veto the Board's decision - which, if I sat on the Board of Pardons and Paroles, I would see as a slap in my face and a questioning of my judgement...considering the facts I had available to me in her file, the interviews I had had with her - and in how little trust I put in the endless television movies and specials that are generated every time someone in the Family comes up for parole.

We all have our own opinions. I would remind those of you who think that she is irredeemable - and I mean no disrespect - that there are probably many people in your areas who know of your loved ones' crimes and don't think they should ever have another chance at having a normal life. If it's wrong for others to prejudge your loved ones when all they have to go on is frenzied media propaganda (sometimes known as "reporting") and have no information as to the kind of people your loved ones are now (and I say it IS wrong), wouldn't it be wrong for you to prejudge Leslie, when you have no access to information as to the kind of person she is now?

Perhaps I have a different outlook because I am the child of defense attorneys and just as I believe that defendants should have a right to a vigorous defense, I believe that convicted inmates who have not been disqualified for parole by statute deserve the right to consideration for parole - and if the Board of Pardons and Paroles approves that application, they should have a second chance to live a free life. That includes your loved ones - and it incudes Leslie Van Houten.

For those of you who wonder if she would be a good parolee if she were released, remember that she was out on bond when her appeal was granted and she was waiting for her retrial - and nothing happened. In the years since then, she has grown older and she has matured.

I hate it for her. I hope that she makes it the next time.

(And for those of you who still think she should never get out - your opinion is just as valid as mine. We can agree to disagree.)

Last edited by Tina Balser; 07-26-2016 at 06:56 PM..
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Tina Balser For This Useful Post:
Abi (08-02-2016), blah8705 (07-27-2016), Lordbew/us (07-29-2016), miamac (07-26-2016), missingdee (07-26-2016), Miss_A (08-02-2016), patchouli (07-26-2016), sidewalker (07-27-2016)
Old 07-26-2016, 07:36 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Tina, you summed up my thoughts perfectly. Thank You. She's served her time and then some, especially considering her age at the time and her accomplishments since. Its time to allow her to go home.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
Abi (08-02-2016), Lordbew/us (07-29-2016), miamac (07-26-2016), sidewalker (07-27-2016)
Old 07-26-2016, 10:52 PM
Banned

I think brown got it right for purposes of justice and for his electorate. Parole consideration is a right. Parole itself is not a right.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
What a waste...

With all due respect to the victims and their loved ones, this is no longer justice. It's tax payer money being flushed along with what's left of her life in order to not cause waves.
With all respect to your opinion. I feel that the way and the reason that group of fools murdered people leaves only way to serve the victims, and that way is that they die in prison.

All of them, especia!ly the ones that killed Tate and unborn son should have die decades ago. But the bleeding hearts saved them.

In my way of seeing this, the tax payer's money is NOT being "wasted" keeping them locked up. The only other thing to do that would serve justice is to bring back the death penalty option to them, double jeapordy be damned.

People here talk about her age, like that changes her ways. All it does is make her an OLDER and even more EVIL person. She and others have had decades of anger brewing, and they've learned to hide it. Thankfully Brown sees that even though others don't. Did anyoine think Ramirez should've been paroled?. No?, it would've been the same thing different people is all.

Last edited by Dobbie_Elf; 07-29-2016 at 11:47 AM..
Old 07-29-2016, 11:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post
Tina, you summed up my thoughts perfectly. Thank You. She's served her time and then some, especially considering her age at the time and her accomplishments since. Its time to allow her to go home.
Her accomplishments?. Honestly, what else is there to do but take classes and do anything you can to make it appear that you are a changed person?. To make some realy good looking paper work on yourself to be put in front of the parole board?.

It's no wonder at all why some woman get played by their mwi's.
I mean no disrespect,but sometimes people need to be more realistic, as opposed to being so politicaly correct and so open minded/hearted and non judgemental.

Below is from MIAMAC:
{ So why is she not afforded the second chance that some of our loved ones have been handed? }

ME: To that I say...when she got LIFE instead of DEATH like HER VICTIMS got death, she DID get that second chance. What about the victims's accomplishments?,what about a fully viable child that nevert even had a FIRST CHANCE?.
Sorry but I'm a mother and a person who's very young family member was shot and killed at the end of her shift at a job she'd only had two weeks.

She( acording to the vicious weak creature that murdered her) she begged to go home to her husband and young sons,one a 2month old infant. Of course by now he's an old man so, does that mean that because he aged thirty hears in there that he's now an upstanding citizen?.
Of course's not!.

Last edited by Dobbie_Elf; 07-29-2016 at 12:20 PM..
Old 07-29-2016, 07:27 PM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 25,405 Times in 13,073 Posts

***In my way of seeing this, the tax payer's money is NOT being "wasted" keeping them locked up. The only other thing to do that would serve justice is to bring back the death penalty option to them,*

Actually in CA Death row inmates often die of natural causes.
Its alot more expensive for someone sentenced to death in a CA prison as they get so many different appeals.

Also, if Im reading and remembering right, this woman did not murder someone. She stabbed someone who was already dead by anothers hand. (yes, I know she was there so therefore she was also an accomplice and likely charged as well for murder)

That's my dog's nose art

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
choclgs (09-07-2017), miamac (07-29-2016), patchouli (07-29-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 08:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalker View Post
***In my way of seeing this, the tax payer's money is NOT being "wasted" keeping them locked up. The only other thing to do that would serve justice is to bring back the death penalty option to them,*

Actually in CA Death row inmates often die of natural causes.
Its alot more expensive for someone sentenced to death in a CA prison as they get so many different appeals.

Also, if Im reading and remembering right, this woman did not murder someone. She stabbed someone who was already dead by anothers hand. (yes, I know she was there so therefore she was also an accomplice and likely charged as well for murder)
She physically restrained someone who was being stabbed. That is more than just being there.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:22 PM
PTO Administrator

Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobbie_Elf View Post
Her accomplishments?. Honestly, what else is there to do but take classes and do anything you can to make it appear that you are a changed person?. To make some realy good looking paper work on yourself to be put in front of the parole board?.

It's no wonder at all why some woman get played by their mwi's.
I mean no disrespect,but sometimes people need to be more realistic, as opposed to being so politicaly correct and so open minded/hearted and non judgemental.

Below is from MIAMAC:
{ So why is she not afforded the second chance that some of our loved ones have been handed? }

ME: To that I say...when she got LIFE instead of DEATH like HER VICTIMS got death, she DID get that second chance. What about the victims's accomplishments?,what about a fully viable child that nevert even had a FIRST CHANCE?.
Sorry but I'm a mother and a person who's very young family member was shot and killed at the end of her shift at a job she'd only had two weeks.

She( acording to the vicious weak creature that murdered her) she begged to go home to her husband and young sons,one a 2month old infant. Of course by now he's an old man so, does that mean that because he aged thirty hears in there that he's now an upstanding citizen?.
Of course's not!.
But you're statement is disrespectful in my opinion.

If you have no compassion, if you're a lock 'em up and throw away the key sorta person, why do you post on a support site

Let me explain something:

A friend of mine was abducted and brutally murdered 3 months after turning 17 (1973). She worked the ticket booth at the local drive-in. The next week, the same people went back to the drive-in and abducted / brutally murdered her replacement. It took me years to come to terms with it. I became very, very pro-death penalty...it took me years to learn to forgive. Not forget, but to forgive. In forgiveness there is peace. I like to think that the Manson victim's families have found the same peace.

People grow and change a great deal between the ages of 19 and 67. I can attest to that. Any inmate who grows and changes in positive ways coupled with true remorse and a desire to live out their life in peace, should be afforded that opportunity and dignity.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
Abi (08-02-2016), choclgs (09-07-2017), LifeTraveler (07-29-2016), miamac (07-29-2016), sidewalker (07-30-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 11:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post
But you're statement is disrespectful in my opinion.

If you have no compassion, if you're a lock 'em up and throw away the key sorta person, why do you post on a support site

Let me explain something:

A friend of mine was abducted and brutally murdered 3 months after turning 17 (1973). She worked the ticket booth at the local drive-in. The next week, the same people went back to the drive-in and abducted / brutally murdered her replacement. It took me years to come to terms with it. I became very, very pro-death penalty...it took me years to learn to forgive. Not forget, but to forgive. In forgiveness there is peace. I like to think that the Manson victim's families have found the same peace.

People grow and change a great deal between the ages of 19 and 67. I can attest to that. Any inmate who grows and changes in positive ways coupled with true remorse and a desire to live out their life in peace, should be afforded that opportunity and dignity.
You are absolutely with out a doubt right, I have no compassion for some inmates. Such as child molesters and the killers of children and innocent people o any age. The ones I have compassion for are those that killed for their gangs whether it was a rival gang member or a snitch that left their gang. I've compassion for those that killed in self defense of themselves or others.

But those like manson's crew I have none. She and the others being old has nothing to do with it.
Atkins was served a huge portion of karma. She told Sharon Tate after Tate asked for 2weeks to have the baby,Atkins said" bitch I have no mercy for you,you are going to die tonight!". So when Atkins assked for mercy to fie at home the courts reminded her of what she'd bragged on saying to Tate. And she rightfully died in prison

Van houten has spoken about her part and that the woman mentioned not calling police and the word "police" angered her to the point that she started toENJOY stabbing her as revenge for even saying the word.never mind she said she'd not call them!. Read up on van houten.

Labianca was practically dead but still speaking so she was there stabbing her while still living.
That don't make ker a good candidate for compaassion I'm sorry about your friend but I'm not going g to sit here and give a pass to some types of people,they don't deserve it.

Last edited by Dobbie_Elf; 07-30-2016 at 11:11 AM..
Old 07-30-2016, 11:52 AM
Lil British Site Moderator

Thanked 6,439 Times in 2,934 Posts

In the UK there is no such thing as LWOP all prisoners have chance of parole.They are given a miminum time they must serve before they are eligible or for the criminal insane they must be deemed fit and no longer a threat to themselves or others however long that may take.

However we still have prisners who are never likely to be released as they pose a significant risk of reoffending or their crime is so heinous that its it would outrage the public if they were released.. A case in point is Myra Hindley the female accompliceof serial killer Ian Brady. Their crimes involved the abuction murder and torture of young children in the 1960s. When Myra Hindley came up for parole after serving many years behind bars.There was no question that she would ever reoffend but her crimes had outraged public decency to such an extent that she was not released and died in prison of cancer.In my opinion she deserved no less , but is it a fair system thats debatable.
Would this member of the manson family reoffend,its highly unlikely but she is a prisoner now of her notoriety.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army

Last edited by maytayah; 07-30-2016 at 11:54 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to maytayah For This Useful Post:
xolady (08-02-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytayah View Post
In the UK there is no such thing as LWOP all prisoners have chance of parole.They are given a miminum time they must serve before they are eligible or for the criminal insane they must be deemed fit and no longer a threat to themselves or others however long that may take.

However we still have prisners who are never likely to be released as they pose a significant risk of reoffending or their crime is so heinous that its it would outrage the public if they were released.. A case in point is Myra Hindley the female accompliceof serial killer Ian Brady. Their crimes involved the abuction murder and torture of young children in the 1960s. When Myra Hindley came up for parole after serving many years behind bars.There was no question that she would ever reoffend but her crimes had outraged public decency to such an extent that she was not released and died in prison of cancer.In my opinion she deserved no less , but is it a fair system thats debatable.
Would this member of the manson family reoffend,its highly unlikely but she is a prisoner now of her notoriety.
Not true
Many cases have been to court of human rights and lost when the judge has said quote "in your case life will mean life"for example the Yorkshire ripper to name just one.