Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Prison Legislation & Laws
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison Legislation & Laws Discuss and learn about pending legislation or changes in laws that affect various prisons and institutions

Old 04-16-2016, 09:06 AM

Question Looking for a SB law for CA prisons

I am looking for a SB law for CA state Prisons for NVO's for the up coming election. Does anyone have this "law" or information on it? Husband said he was going to send me some type of form that would require signatures to pass in CA yet I haven't received it from him. I have looked at the laws that are pending for CA prisons, but I don't know which one he is referring too. Any info on where I can download a copy and start getting signatures for it, would help a lot of CA's with NVO's in State Prison's here a lot. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2016, 05:31 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 17,183 Times in 10,373 Posts

I don't understand SB or NVO, please clarify what they mean.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:24 PM

SB is the legal term I think for the bill. NVO means None Violent Offenders.
Old 04-16-2016, 07:44 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 13,807 Times in 5,319 Posts

SB = Senate Bill

You can search all current CA bills in progress here.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Benjaminsbaby (04-17-2016), fbopnomore (04-17-2016), sidewalker (04-17-2016)
Old 04-17-2016, 08:07 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

If it is a bill proposed by the Senate, it would need to be passed there, sent to the House and passed there too, plus be signed by the Governor before it becomes a law. Check the bill's current status.

Many proposed laws just die, especially those that help inmates.
Old 04-17-2016, 10:39 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 25,371 Times in 13,059 Posts

SB, senate bill
AB, assembly bill.
Thinking nvo IS non violent offenders is correct.

You'd need the number of the bill to find out the info.

That's my dog's nose art

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
Benjaminsbaby (06-09-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 11:24 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalker View Post
SB, senate bill
AB, assembly bill.
Thinking nvo IS non violent offenders is correct.

You'd need the number of the bill to find out the info.
Can't find the AB or SB bill for NVO for Nov ballot in CA. Do you know which one it may be?
Old 06-10-2016, 07:46 AM

Donation Award 

I do not think its ON the ballot. It is a bill going thru the *process* with the CA senate and Assembly.
Why dont you ask the person who told you about it, the bill number?

That's my dog's nose art

Old 06-10-2016, 08:06 AM
2008Tea Party-CA Co-Chair

Thanked 2,531 Times in 797 Posts

California Parole, Early Release and Juvenile Trial Reform Initiative (2016)

The measure would increase parole chances for felons convicted of non-violent crimes and give them more opportunities to earn credits for good behavior. It would also allow judges, not prosecutors, to decide whether to try certain juveniles as adults in court.[3]

How would the inmate releases work?

Those convicted of non-violent felony crimes who have served their basic sentences and passed screening for public security would be eligible for parole. That would make about 7,000 inmates immediately eligible, according to The Associated Press.[4]

Signatures have been submitted to be on November ballot.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Judeca For This Useful Post:
Benjaminsbaby (06-11-2016), fbopnomore (06-12-2016), Sarianna (06-12-2016), sidewalker (06-10-2016)
Old 06-10-2016, 08:28 AM

Donation Award 

Thanks Judeca,
Always so much talk about bills, ballots etc.....cant keep track.

That's my dog's nose art

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
Benjaminsbaby (10-04-2016), Judeca (06-10-2016)
Old 06-11-2016, 10:22 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judeca View Post
California Parole, Early Release and Juvenile Trial Reform Initiative (2016)

The measure would increase parole chances for felons convicted of non-violent crimes and give them more opportunities to earn credits for good behavior. It would also allow judges, not prosecutors, to decide whether to try certain juveniles as adults in court.[3]

How would the inmate releases work?

Those convicted of non-violent felony crimes who have served their basic sentences and passed screening for public security would be eligible for parole. That would make about 7,000 inmates immediately eligible, according to The Associated Press.[4]

Signatures have been submitted to be on November ballot.
But do you know the AB or SB for this? I want to read up on it, and if anything send it to the has-been. Thanks for the info.......but still need these #'s to read up on it!
Old 06-12-2016, 08:10 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

I recall that a California ballot initiative bypasses the legislature. If enough signatures were submitted, and the courts decide that the initiative is appropriate, it will appear on the ballot in November, and the voters will decide if it becomes law.

Here's what thinkprogress.org says about it.
http://thinkprogress.org/justice/201...parole-ballot/

Last edited by fbopnomore; 06-12-2016 at 08:16 AM..
Old 06-25-2016, 02:14 PM

Thanked 1,711 Times in 905 Posts

http://prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=608

If i did that right, CA general prison talk, it's one of the many places it's being talked about.
Personally I see a whole lot wrong with it. But good job finding the actual wording of the initiative. These news articles are very misleading. Read it carefully and slowly. The intentions might not be what the news is spreading around.
The Following User Says Thank You to AnarchyHeart For This Useful Post:
marie8899 (06-29-2016)
Old 06-25-2016, 02:23 PM

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...oYja344f1HHkdg
Benjaminsbaby (06-26-2016)
Old 06-26-2016, 05:36 AM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnarchyHeart View Post
Very confusing "per say" law. How it is written. One its for minors, then it jumps to enhancements of the longest term a person regardless of age, has served. In the first part of reducing waste in prisons, it is not clear of what exactly that intends. Reducing inmate population, then it jumps back to amending other laws that are already in place. I would be surprised if this does hit the Nov Ballet. Even with enough signatures to get it on the Nov CA Ballot, Attempting to "amend" a law in CA is hard to do. The intended bill basically says to me, it won't get far, and if it does there will be a lot of loop holes for any legal firm to figure out. I will go back and re-read it again, but with strikes whether one or two, non violent offenders, minors, waste in prisons, there just are too many issues on this intended amended law.
Couldn't wait to re-read. This law is intended for "minors" under the age of 18 who are serving time in Adult State Prisons, now and not when CYA was in force. So I am not clear as to why my husband was asking about this amended law. It wouldn't pertain to him or his sentence. just saying........

Last edited by Benjaminsbaby; 06-26-2016 at 06:00 AM..
Old 06-26-2016, 06:49 PM

I know there is one coming up on the November ballot where BPH would review your case records after completing the base term (without credits). Brown says when he instituted Determinate Sentencing he never expected the number of enhancements CA Congress came up with. I met somebody with a base of 3 years and it was about 11 or 12 years enhancements. I had 9 years 4 base and 5 in enhancements. Even at half-time I would have been out 8 months early.
Benjaminsbaby (10-04-2016)
Old 06-27-2016, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustingGOD001 View Post
I know there is one coming up on the November ballot where BPH would review your case records after completing the base term (without credits). Brown says when he instituted Determinate Sentencing he never expected the number of enhancements CA Congress came up with. I met somebody with a base of 3 years and it was about 11 or 12 years enhancements. I had 9 years 4 base and 5 in enhancements. Even at half-time I would have been out 8 months early.
BUT.... it leaves it open to anyone after serving full term. That means first timers. Now I know everyone thinks well credits. But then it goes on to say this will also give all credit authority to cdcr. To giveth and taketh. And to.change any previous existing laws. Any. That's scary shit. Giving that much authority to cdcr. Parole? Sounds great. But it's never a fair determination. Some get lucky. Some don't. And it's never an even playing field. Brown is full of shit. If he felt bad about the new sentencing laws why did he fight the courts so hard on making changes. And the judges recommended a sentencing commission, which never happened. Two options were presented to him. This one and a third party sentencing commisison, he chose this one. It also completely gets rid of the courts order, conveniently right after the 2 year mark the state was forbidden, by the judges, to in any way fight the order. No. We need to change the laws. Us. The public. Not cdcr. This little add on gives cdcr wet dreams.

Last edited by AnarchyHeart; 06-27-2016 at 08:43 AM..
Old 06-27-2016, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjaminsbaby View Post
Very confusing "per say" law. How it is written. One its for minors, then it jumps to enhancements of the longest term a person regardless of age, has served. In the first part of reducing waste in prisons, it is not clear of what exactly that intends. Reducing inmate population, then it jumps back to amending other laws that are already in place. I would be surprised if this does hit the Nov Ballet. Even with enough signatures to get it on the Nov CA Ballot, Attempting to "amend" a law in CA is hard to do. The intended bill basically says to me, it won't get far, and if it does there will be a lot of loop holes for any legal firm to figure out. I will go back and re-read it again, but with strikes whether one or two, non violent offenders, minors, waste in prisons, there just are too many issues on this intended amended law.
Couldn't wait to re-read. This law is intended for "minors" under the age of 18 who are serving time in Adult State Prisons, now and not when CYA was in force. So I am not clear as to why my husband was asking about this amended law. It wouldn't pertain to him or his sentence. just saying........
Originally the entire thing was for juvenile sentencing. Don't get me started on my opinion on that. Sentenced as an adult needs to be 18 and up when crime was committed. Anyways. Only the one section, I have it sectioned off somewhere, pertains to adult sentences. In your case it would probably eliminate the court ordered second strike parole. Still giving option for parole at half time being second strike gets double time. So about the same. Everyone is getting all excited about extra credits. But the wording doesn't say extra credits. It says cdcr can give credits. But then it says they can change any preexisting laws to change the credits. So is the intention more? Or less? Then it says after it passes they will give more information. I've been following the court case for 5-6 years, of the 25 years it's been going on. One thing I learned is Jerry brown always has a new card up his sleeve. He hates the court order. Has been trying to shake them his entire term. Unless he wants to blame Harris? But she's in on approving this new one also. I want the information now....before I vote. Bullshit it's last minute. That's how they got the hype. Oh hey. I got this great idea. It's a chess move.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AnarchyHeart For This Useful Post:
Benjaminsbaby (10-04-2016), miamac (10-04-2016)
Old 06-27-2016, 08:54 AM

Oops. Forgot to say. Strictly my opinion.
Old 06-27-2016, 06:24 PM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 1,576 Times in 782 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustingGOD001 View Post
My last term in 1992 base term 3 years robbery 10 years in enhancements 5 for a violent conviction with in three years 3 years gun , 2 years for prison priors total 13 years did 6yrs. 7 mo. half cure my butt of getting in trouble Plus a few other things kicked the habit that was behind my prison terms
Benjaminsbaby (10-04-2016), Sarianna (10-05-2016)
Old 10-04-2016, 11:18 PM

Question Pending legislation CA laws State Prisons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickj View Post
My last term in 1992 base term 3 years robbery 10 years in enhancements 5 for a violent conviction with in three years 3 years gun , 2 years for prison priors total 13 years did 6yrs. 7 mo. half cure my butt of getting in trouble Plus a few other things kicked the habit that was behind my prison terms
Husband had 17 enchantments, dropped to 10 years in stead of 17 years, first conviction when he was 19, first strike, to old to add to current, still has one active strike so it would be considered 1 strike, not 2. He is damn lucky after this bullshit they didn't give him life. Last conviction: 459PC, burglary, procession of Meth. Him being a x felon and off the system in 2014, where he went wrong still can't figure that one out. Had in his procession 3 handguns all stolen, one from a retired CHP officer now deceased. Is at ISP and is a Level 3. I don't know when his classification would be, I believe Sept, last month. I was told today he is being a good boy and staying out of trouble. That was good to hear. He has been in custody since Sept 30th, 2014. At least this time I think he is understanding life in prison is no fun, and he is applying himself to college classes including drugs.....so with the new law that CA said it had to have over 5000 sigs, that has surpassed. There are more inmate families here in CA then law enforcement themselves. I think I said that once before. Hoping for him to get transferred closer to me so I can see him. What are your thoughts Patrick? Thank you.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Benjaminsbaby For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (10-05-2016), missingdee (10-05-2016), Sarianna (10-05-2016)
Old 10-05-2016, 02:24 AM
Je ne regrette rien
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,502 Times in 754 Posts

Benjaminsbaby - I am glad to hear your husband is doing well and making changes to improve himself. Wishing you the best of luck.
Old 10-05-2016, 12:43 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 13,807 Times in 5,319 Posts

I'm a little confused on the subject of this thread. Can y'all help me clear this up?

In the beginning, the OP was looking for a senate bill title or number.

The first one mentioned is "California Parole, Early Release and Juvenile Trial Reform Initiative 2016". From what I can see, that alone died but was merged in to Prop 57, also called the "Public Safety and Rehabilitation Act of 2016".

Is this correct?