Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > USP Victorville
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

USP Victorville Topics and discussion specific to USP VIctorville in Adelanto, CA.

Old 01-24-2018, 06:33 PM

Default Victorville mail: No more cards, pictures, magazines, books, stickers, etc

So my husband called he said they really changed mail policy. Only I went on BOP website and the policy has not changed so apparently is Victorville alone. No more: cards, pictures, magazines, books, stickers, colored paper. All mail must be on white paper in a white envelope with handwriting or type print only. So no address sticker label or anything. I am pretty sure this cant last before someone puts in a lawsuit against this one more "punishment" that they are not allowed to do. The punishment is taking away their freedom from walking out in the outside world. It isnt supposed to be inflicted daily by the officers or the wardens there. They should go by the same BOP policy as all prisons. This is total BS! I hardly mail anything mind you. I usually write a letter every now and then... on pink paper. Now I have to make sure it is plain white. I usually send photo cards from moonpig as they will personalize the card and mail them so its less work for me. Now no more family photo cards to my husband. He has two more years in this rat hole of a place as they wont move him to our home state. Why? They seriously want to keep that rat hole prison full. Seriously! How can you go YEARS without a write up, YEARS taking classes or doing their job and their points not go down EVER??? This needs to be brought to light. I know some counselors or case managers have the guys who are young and smooth twisted up around their finger and they get what they want but why should you have to flirt with case managers and counselors to get down what should be done? If your guy is above the age or sexy body of a sweet young thing they get no where with the staff there. This is the shittiest hole of a BOP I have ever had the unpleasure of visiting! Im Pissed! Beyond Pissed! They have so little now they can not have cards, photos, magazines, books? And if your letter isnt lily white paper you will have your letter returned! This is crazy!!!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to julzb For This Useful Post:
Babydoll123 (02-08-2018), Hurley123 (01-26-2018), Lytebryte (02-01-2018), Samantha004 (01-25-2018), xolady (02-14-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2018, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julzb View Post
So my husband called he said they really changed mail policy. Only I went on BOP website and the policy has not changed so apparently is Victorville alone. No more: cards, pictures, magazines, books, stickers, colored paper. All mail must be on white paper in a white envelope with handwriting or type print only. So no address sticker label or anything. I am pretty sure this cant last before someone puts in a lawsuit against this one more "punishment" that they are not allowed to do. The punishment is taking away their freedom from walking out in the outside world. It isnt supposed to be inflicted daily by the officers or the wardens there. They should go by the same BOP policy as all prisons. This is total BS! I hardly mail anything mind you. I usually write a letter every now and then... on pink paper. Now I have to make sure it is plain white. I usually send photo cards from moonpig as they will personalize the card and mail them so its less work for me. Now no more family photo cards to my husband. He has two more years in this rat hole of a place as they wont move him to our home state. Why? They seriously want to keep that rat hole prison full. Seriously! How can you go YEARS without a write up, YEARS taking classes or doing their job and their points not go down EVER??? This needs to be brought to light. I know some counselors or case managers have the guys who are young and smooth twisted up around their finger and they get what they want but why should you have to flirt with case managers and counselors to get down what should be done? If your guy is above the age or sexy body of a sweet young thing they get no where with the staff there. This is the shittiest hole of a BOP I have ever had the unpleasure of visiting! Im Pissed! Beyond Pissed! They have so little now they can not have cards, photos, magazines, books? And if your letter isnt lily white paper you will have your letter returned! This is crazy!!!
What??!! Are you kidding me??? Unbelievable!! I sent my guy a card with a few pictures (family pictures) and he still hasn't received it. When did this all take place? I sent that card like 14 days ago! This is horrible!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hurley123 For This Useful Post:
Lytebryte (02-01-2018), xolady (02-14-2018)
Old 01-26-2018, 05:46 PM

Default Its all new

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurley123 View Post
What??!! Are you kidding me??? Unbelievable!! I sent my guy a card with a few pictures (family pictures) and he still hasn't received it. When did this all take place? I sent that card like 14 days ago! This is horrible!
This is one of those things that really has to change. It hasnt yet gone fully into affect. Someone at district office has to know it is just one more punishment this prison inflicts inhuman and harsh treatment of the men. Now, if your a dance teacher at the womens camp you didnt even have to do your 85%? WT heck? Right!

All we have are cards and pictures. I dont visit because I am chronically ill and with the drive it and the whole day, the stress, it affects me poorly for a week or more. Im really not feeling driving for hours is safe at this point either.

How can we get this one thing to give and change? That place does punish whistleblowers so you gotta be careful when making a complaint. I personally would never complain to the prison wardens there but to district or higher only. Maybe congressman is where to go with this one. Their basic human rights are being violated. It does go to show what many of us know from visits there... they dont want the men to remain in contact with their family. With frequent lock downs on visiting days, to unusually harsh opinions of clothing the women wear, to not having food and drinks available (even though they are bought from their vending!) If its in their vending how is that unsafe? I mean its highway robbery and not tasty or healthy in any way but it isnt that they are afraid of the women or visitors doing something to the food. They want us to stay shorter lengths of visits or not come at all.

One officer asked (at the USP) what are you doing here? As in why I a middle aged, middle income woman was married to my husband and visiting him. Um, because we have a very long history and because he got a really bad deal and he is human and deserves love. I ignored him though. You cant say anything you know... really. Anything can be taken out of context.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to julzb For This Useful Post:
Babydoll123 (02-08-2018), fbopnomore (01-26-2018), Hurley123 (01-26-2018), Lytebryte (02-01-2018), Samantha004 (01-29-2018), Sarianna (01-27-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 06:03 PM
The Wait Is Almost Over!.

Unhappy

Quote:
This is one of those things that really has to change. It hasnt yet gone fully into affect. Someone at district office has to know it is just one more punishment this prison inflicts inhuman and harsh treatment of the men. Now, if your a dance teacher at the womens camp you didnt even have to do your 85%? WT heck? Right!

All we have are cards and pictures. I dont visit because I am chronically ill and with the drive it and the whole day, the stress, it affects me poorly for a week or more. Im really not feeling driving for hours is safe at this point either.

How can we get this one thing to give and change? That place does punish whistleblowers so you gotta be careful when making a complaint. I personally would never complain to the prison wardens there but to district or higher only. Maybe congressman is where to go with this one. Their basic human rights are being violated. It does go to show what many of us know from visits there... they dont want the men to remain in contact with their family. With frequent lock downs on visiting days, to unusually harsh opinions of clothing the women wear, to not having food and drinks available (even though they are bought from their vending!) If its in their vending how is that unsafe? I mean its highway robbery and not tasty or healthy in any way but it isnt that they are afraid of the women or visitors doing something to the food. They want us to stay shorter lengths of visits or not come at all.

One officer asked (at the USP) what are you doing here? As in why I a middle aged, middle income woman was married to my husband and visiting him. Um, because we have a very long history and because he got a really bad deal and he is human and deserves love. I ignored him though. You cant say anything you know... really. Anything can be taken out of context.
Very well said!. 💪🏼👍🏼

God gives his toughest battles, to his strongest💪🏼 soldiers!. I'm loyal to the soil... And nobody can change that.. The wait is almost over, and I'm patiently waiting on Babe!. ⌛️ ❤️💯🤷🏽
Old 02-01-2018, 06:16 PM

Thumbs down When does this start?

Quote:
When will this going into affect? I was told February 28th...

God gives his toughest battles, to his strongest💪🏼 soldiers!. I'm loyal to the soil... And nobody can change that.. The wait is almost over, and I'm patiently waiting on Babe!. ⌛️ ❤️💯🤷🏽
Old 02-02-2018, 12:41 AM

Thanked 1,254 Times in 699 Posts

The ACLU National Prison Project might want to open a file if they haven't already.
julzb (02-02-2018), xolady (02-02-2018)
Old 02-02-2018, 06:06 PM

I don't know where Victorville is but I sent my fiance a birthday card from me and my 13 year old wrote on one too for him and they were rejected for using a marker to write on them. I'm so pissed off. I have this irrational hang up with making phone calls to people but I'm going to have to get over it because I am fed up with the way things are being handled.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:07 PM

Default I am not familiair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor activist View Post
The ACLU National Prison Project might want to open a file if they haven't already.
I dont know how to go about it. I really dont know anything about the ACLU National Prison Project. Always afraid of retaliation.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to julzb For This Useful Post:
His_Queen13 (02-22-2018), Lytebryte (02-22-2018)
Old 02-02-2018, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lytebryte View Post
When will this going into affect? I was told February 28th...
I was told the 24th
The Following User Says Thank You to Hurley123 For This Useful Post:
Lytebryte (02-03-2018)
Old 02-02-2018, 10:36 PM

Quote:
I dont know how to go about it. I really dont know anything about the ACLU National Prison Project. Always afraid of retaliation.
They're about improving things for everybody which is different from fighting for one inmate.

It's more than a little weird that the NPP web page doesn't have a contact link. But enough patience on the phone starting from the main ACLU number might get you there. Don't expect them to help out your case in particular but they might just be preparing a class action suit already and might enjoy more evidence.

Absolutely everyone I've heard from says your fears of retaliation are justified.
Lytebryte (02-03-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 02:04 AM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurley123 View Post
I was told the 24th
Thank you!. 😩🤦🏽*♀️💯

Old 02-03-2018, 07:30 AM
Lil British Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 7,705 Times in 3,377 Posts

Victorville has always been a tough gig but this is getting too much no cards pictures books etc is far too harsh. I am aware there is now a trend to ban greeting cards in several states but this is just too much. I fear its not just going to be Victorville as my ex in USP florence can no longer receive magazines.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maytayah For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-03-2018), Hurley123 (02-05-2018), Lytebryte (02-05-2018)
Old 02-05-2018, 08:34 AM
Donation Award 

So, fort a few years, I've always sent many books, cards, and "packets" of cutouts, jokes, cool stories, etc., to my MWI future wife while she was at Waseca Prison. She gets transferred a couple of times, and has been at Aliceville, Alabama for about 6 months now. I sent her a few birthday cards in September, with no issues. Continued to send her books, 4 at a time, in the same large padded mailers as always. Sent her the usual amounts and formats for Thanksgiving...That was the end of normalcy! Over a period of a couple of weeks, I sent her Christmas cards in Christmas themed envelopes, naturally, and I would ask her through emails, whether she had gotten anything from me, and why no response from her? I sent her 2 book packages, and a couple of hot and steamy letters as well. Nothing from her saying they were received. In mid january, I get a notice from the post office that I have something there which is postage due. When I get there, one of the book packages was returned, unopened, and I had to pay to get it back. A few days later, I get another notification, and the same result...Books unopened but rejected. Then I get 3 cards from Christmas mailings returned in my mailbox, unopened, stamped rejected, return to sender, one of the mailing dates from December 17th, one from the 19th, and one from the 22nd. I then get a few more back..So, the long and short of it is that all the things I used to send her in Waseca was fine, with no issues, but now everything I send her in Aliceville gets rejected. Both are federal BOP prisons. I used mailing labels, so I figure that has something to do with it, and the Christmas cards had little decorative Christmas themed illustrations in the lower lest corners, which matched the card within the envelope. Absolutely ridiculous! So now anything I sends is plain while envelope and hand printed return address only. How a label or a pre printed theme might upset the "good order" of a prison is beyond me, but the arrogance of just holding the cards for weeks, and returning to sender without explanation is what is most galling!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bobberp54 For This Useful Post:
julzb (02-15-2018), Lytebryte (02-22-2018)
Old 02-05-2018, 05:50 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 18,716 Times in 11,068 Posts

Apparently there have been recent "system wide" changes in the bop mail policy. My opinion, without any evidence, is that the new bop director, a retired army general, is just as bad, or worse than his predecessors.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:56 PM

My LO is in Rockville IN, but they have many similar restrictive policies. I cannot type a letter and print it. Only handwritten on lined white paper.
I can order new books only from Amazon or other publishers and they must be softcover.
No cards, stickers (even address labels), colored pencils, pens or markers.
I have a photo printer but that photo was rejected, I have to go to Wal-Mart and get them printed. (how can they tell?)
I can attach a photo digitally to j-pay emails.
She can receive magazines but not catalogues.
It just plain sux. And it is more expensive.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to liveweyerd For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-06-2018), Lytebryte (02-22-2018)
Old 02-05-2018, 08:53 PM

>Apparently there have been recent "system wide" changes in the bop mail policy.

Can they do that without issuing a new Program Statement?
fbopnomore (02-06-2018), Lytebryte (02-22-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 08:06 AM

It's not just the mail Ladies. The phone calls will be slightly changing as well. If your loved one tends to wait the fifteen minutes after a phone call to make another, they will be increasing the 15 minute wait time in between calls to an hour. And CORRLINKS will be a lot more restricted due to only one computer being open during work hours instead of 3.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Haileylovely For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-14-2018), Lytebryte (03-25-2018), xolady (02-14-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 08:46 PM

Its not just cards at Victorville. It is no cards, photos, magazines, books, newspapers, colored paper or envelopes, stickers (including address labels). Its outrageous. So for Valentines I didnt send a card. It just didnt seem right. I got a letter from him for Valentines and he was surprised they let it go out because one of the artists had made a beautiful envelope for him. I am forever thankfu for this small kindness. It is so sad. I so want him home. I went and looked at BOP policy.. there were not any changes when I looked. So its this prison only?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to julzb For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-16-2018), Lytebryte (02-22-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 06:07 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

The mail changes are apparently widespread, but I don't know if they are initiated by each warden, or bop headquarters.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:43 PM

Default They canít even receive books anymore

I just called USP and to my surprise the CO said they canít receive books at all anymore after the 24th? OMG! Not even books from Amazon.. This is crazy! 🤮😷

The Following User Says Thank You to Lytebryte For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-22-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 09:47 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Books were the only thing that could be received from family, after they stopped allowing eyeglasses. I wouldn't believe it, except that it is something negative that the bop can do to make inmates even more miserable.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lytebryte View Post
I just called USP and to my surprise the CO said they canít receive books at all anymore after the 24th? OMG! Not even books from Amazon.. This is crazy! 🤮

How would they get reading material? Is there a library they can check out books from? My husband is in USP Canaan. They canít have books or magazines mailed unless they are from a company such as Barnes & Noble. The thing with Amazon is they use third-party vendors. So if you donít get it from the Amazon warehouse & it comes from Joeís bookstore, they will deny it. At least in PA. They havenít allowed crayon, colored pencil, glitter, stickers, labels, and only allow white envelopes for several months now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to His_Queen13 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-23-2018), Lytebryte (03-25-2018)
Old 02-23-2018, 12:08 AM

If they don't let books through then the ACLU could get involved. They have before when an institution tried to stop inmates from receiving books. Example:
https://www.aclu.org/blog/mass-incar...lifts-book-ban
Quote:
For the past several years, access to most books, magazines, newspapers and other periodicals has been banned at the Berkeley County Detention Center in Moncks Corner, S.C.

Thankfully, that changed today when jail officials there lifted the ban as part of an agreement to settle an ACLU lawsuit.
The people to ask for would be the National Prison Project.

If I'm reading the BOP program statement on Incoming Publications right, Victorville doesn't have authority to stop all books from coming in. "The Warden may reject a publication only if it is determined detrimental to the security, good order, or discipline of the institution or if it might facilitate criminal activity."
fbopnomore (02-23-2018), His_Queen13 (02-23-2018), Lytebryte (03-25-2018), zusya (03-01-2018)
Old 02-23-2018, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor activist View Post
If they don't let books through then the ACLU could get involved. They have before when an institution tried to stop inmates from receiving..."

Thatís what Iím trying to find out. Are these places where families were still allowed to mail books and magazines in from home? Or have they begun to deny them from ALL vendors completely? I know Amazon was an issue with CDCR recently, so I can see it being a temporary (or permanent) issue with the BoP as well especially in Ca. Although CDCR allows Amazon with regulations now.
The Following User Says Thank You to His_Queen13 For This Useful Post:
Lytebryte (03-31-2018)
Old 02-23-2018, 07:53 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

The bop closed all of the Chapel libraries during what I called the Muslim scare, but after about a month they were miraculously reopened thanks to the ACLU. The bop regularly oversteps their already immense "safety & security" power, but as long as there are lawyers who are willing to challenge them, they eventually back down.