Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > The War on Drugs - and the results of it
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

The War on Drugs - and the results of it A war against drugs, or against families?

Old 11-25-2015, 09:39 PM
TheBee'sKnees
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,591 Times in 1,083 Posts
Default Corrupt COs smuggling drugs documented on TV

So, tomorrow I am going to be visiting my LO and as Im watching TV in the hotel room tonight, I see Drugs, Inc. on National Geographic highlighting drug trafficking INSIDE prisons... and what do you know, they have already shown two instances of COs in US prisons smuggling drugs in.

And yet, tomorrow I will be subjected to the ion scanner and potentially an invasive search depending on what substances I may have come in contact with driving a rental car and handling money...

It really is quite upsetting on several levels. For one, these are allegedly the GOOD GUYS in the eyes of just about everyone who does not have first or second-hand experience with prisons. They are given the benefit of the doubt again and again in situations where it is their word against that of an inmate. Yet this is such a rampant thing that they are showing actual COs in uniform with just their faces covered, talking about how they dont get paid enough so they smuggle in drugs for money to make ends meet. Must be nice to be able to justify that kind of illegal behavior that is not only opposed to what you are supposed to represent but that also puts other COs AND INMATES at risk.

Yep, the dude just talked about how all he gets is a patdown when he enters the facility.

Ugh. I could go on forever. I wont. Just makes me angry.
Benjaminsbaby (01-07-2017), cherriebomb (04-24-2016), David (03-15-2017), frostwoman1954 (11-25-2015), jadah (11-26-2015), Jinty62 (11-26-2015), Lordbew/us (11-27-2015), miamac (11-26-2015), onparoleinTO (02-21-2017), patchouli (11-25-2015), Sarianna (01-08-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2015, 10:05 PM
Southern Fried Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 2,524 Times in 977 Posts

Oh yeah. There's a lot of money out there for COs if they're willing to bend the code of ethics and it's not really a secret. People (staff and inmates) know who's smuggling things in - you can't hide that you're spending thousands of dollars a week when everyone knows you only make $10 an hour. But when people are unhappy at work and underpaid, I guess it can be tempting, especially if they're easily manipulated. I have a friend who's incarcerated and he's ALWAYS had contraband back before he decided to do right she get...drugs, cell phones, whatever...because he has money and knows how to spot someone who will turn. He slowly but surely tests their boundaries from day one, listens to every word they say, and charms them into thinking they're "friends" or even romantically involved. First they're just bringing him in some cocoa butter lotion he can't get inside, then it's all downhill from there.

When I used to work psych, a lot of our techs in the forensic unit were ex-cos and they've told me some crazy stuff that goes on. Heck, even at our facility they'd sneak things in, and there was almost no money to be made.
Old 11-26-2015, 10:02 AM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,774 Times in 1,124 Posts

Don't get me started.....

"
There is no question that in virtually all circumstances in which people are doing things in order to get rewards, extrinsic tangible rewards undermine intrinsic motivation." the New Scientist (12th April 2011, pp 40-43)

" Every life you touch, every fear or pain you ease, every loved ones' heart that you ease the burden from is the reason you are here."
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jadah For This Useful Post:
Dakini (11-26-2015), miamac (11-26-2015), sidewalker (11-26-2015), xolady (11-27-2015)
Old 11-26-2015, 10:16 AM

Thanked 9,761 Times in 5,504 Posts

The introduction of contraband into facilities is not a one-sided issue...BOTH employees and contractors AS WELL as visitors bring stuff in and have been caught AND prosecuted for their actions.

I know that, here in Texas, we prosecuted former CO's for conspiring to bring in cigarettes roughly 25 years ago. And there are similar prosecutions still going on. It is mildly interesting that we STILL have more of a problem in this State with tobacco than with drugs when it comes to staff introduction. The drugs do typically get linked to visitors, complete with the phone logs to back it up since so many are stupid enough to use the phones in the dayroom...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
frostwoman1954 (11-26-2015), Quetz (02-21-2017)
Old 11-26-2015, 10:21 AM
TheBee'sKnees
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexLyn View Post
The introduction of contraband into facilities is not a one-sided issue...BOTH employees and contractors AS WELL as visitors bring stuff in and have been caught AND prosecuted for their actions.

I know that, here in Texas, we prosecuted former CO's for conspiring to bring in cigarettes roughly 25 years ago. And there are similar prosecutions still going on. It is mildly interesting that we STILL have more of a problem in this State with tobacco than with drugs when it comes to staff introduction. The drugs do typically get linked to visitors, complete with the phone logs to back it up since so many are stupid enough to use the phones in the dayroom...
Oh, I know it is not one-sided. My question, though, is why are staff not subjected to ion scanning and searches for positive results?

There is also the whole issue of status. Staff enjoy a certain amount of status because they are staff. With that status comes responsibility. In situations where there is a discrepancy between what staff says and what an inmate or even a visitor says, staff members are going to be given more credibility out of the gate. And we all see what that has gotten us in places like Florida where staff have historically been able to literally get away with murder.

As a licensed medical professional, if I were to be found to be, for example, neglecting my patients, I would be held to a higher standard than a non-licensed person or a family member because a certain amount of trust is given to me along with my responsibility. Staff should be held to an even higher standard than civilians because they are entrusted with a certain amount of power. But they are not. That is my biggest issue. I know that there are lots of people out there smuggling all kinds of stuff into prisons.
frostwoman1954 (11-26-2015), jadah (01-03-2016), Lordbew/us (11-27-2015), patchouli (11-27-2015), Quetz (02-21-2017)
Old 11-26-2015, 11:02 AM

Anytime someone has authority over another human being their responsibility to conduct themselves to a higher standard should be of paramount importance. If these standards are not adhered to the risk of abuse increases exponentially.

We all have seen the results of this within the prison walls. We hear about the results of this every day in the news. It is rampant in our society. It is another example of the insanity of how our correctional system is managed.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kbsles For This Useful Post:
frostwoman1954 (11-26-2015), jadah (01-03-2016), Lordbew/us (11-27-2015), miamac (11-26-2015)
Old 11-26-2015, 11:43 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,091 Times in 605 Posts

I am shocked weekly by the K2 in prison in our state. K2 is all over Tdcj. Inmates falling out, seizing.......why would anybody risk there life to smoke K2? Not only that it can be smelled!! Should be REAL easy to isolate the users and easy to find the people packing it into the system. I just don't understand
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OnlyInTexas For This Useful Post:
frostwoman1954 (11-26-2015), Lordbew/us (11-27-2015), xolady (11-27-2015)
Old 11-26-2015, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakini View Post
Oh, I know it is not one-sided. My question, though, is why are staff not subjected to ion scanning and searches for positive results?
Since this State does not use ion scanning for ANYONE, I cannot give you an answer to that question. But since I even see Wardens and Majors getting patted and wanded when I go to units for legal visits, I can tell you that some States treat staff and visitors the same on the screening.

Hell, having had someone that I visited outside of a professional relationship, I can even attest to some units being LESS stringent on visitors than they are on some of the weekday traffic.

Quote:
I know that there are lots of people out there smuggling all kinds of stuff into prisons.
But you ALSO know as well as I do that there are those on PTO that try to make contraband out to be purely a staff issue and that NO visitor ever would attempt to risk their visitation over a small quantity of narcotics.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
coachy1 (11-27-2015), Dakini (11-26-2015), jadah (01-03-2016), Lordbew/us (11-27-2015)
Old 11-26-2015, 02:55 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 13,840 Times in 5,328 Posts

Quote:
In CA staff are suppose to be subjected to the same random scanning visitors are. The difference was that if they tested pos, they were subject to a clothed search and visitors were subjected to an unclothed search. That's since changed and visitors are suppose to be "offered" a clothed search.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Dakini (11-26-2015)
Old 11-27-2015, 07:41 AM

When I was inside the NY fence, I had quicker and easier access to more and cheaper drugs than I ever had when I was outside and all of what I had access to inside was brought inside by prison employees. I also had access to pints of liquor via the same network. And, for the record--NY CO’s are far from underpaid, so that “gotta do it to make ends meet” excuse doesn’t apply to them.

On a related note, it always surprised me to see certain CO’s arrive at work visibly under the influence of alcohol and then leave 8 hours later, drunker than when they arrived. The ones who did that were conspicuous and they were well known to everybody---prisoners, their peers and their supervisors as well. Avoiding them was critical to trying to stay out of trouble, because they were irrational, short-tempered and volatile (surprise, surprise!).

My experience was that calling CO’s “good guys” was as incorrect as referring to Antarctica as a tropical paradise. The alcohol/drug smuggling/use thing was just one of many factors that led me to that knowledge.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Combs For This Useful Post:
Dakini (11-27-2015), Lordbew/us (12-04-2015), WeepingWillow (11-28-2015), xolady (11-27-2015)
Old 11-27-2015, 08:36 AM
To the moon & back
Donation Award 

Thanked 4,496 Times in 2,233 Posts

Quote:

...Yet this is such a rampant thing that they are showing actual COs in uniform with just their faces covered, talking about how they dont get paid enough so they smuggle in drugs for money to make ends meet. Must be nice to be able to justify that kind of illegal behavior that is not only opposed to what you are supposed to represent but that also puts other COs AND INMATES at risk.
And yet there are men doing time in that very same facility that were selling drugs to make ends meet. I have no doubt those C/O's believe that what they're doing is nowhere near the same.
Dakini (11-27-2015), jadah (01-03-2016), Lordbew/us (11-27-2015), miamac (11-27-2015)
Old 11-27-2015, 09:26 AM

Angry

Quote:
So, tomorrow I am going to be visiting my LO and as Im watching TV in the hotel room tonight, I see Drugs, Inc. on National Geographic highlighting drug trafficking INSIDE prisons... and what do you know, they have already shown two instances of COs in US prisons smuggling drugs in.

And yet, tomorrow I will be subjected to the ion scanner and potentially an invasive search depending on what substances I may have come in contact with driving a rental car and handling money...

It really is quite upsetting on several levels. For one, these are allegedly the GOOD GUYS in the eyes of just about everyone who does not have first or second-hand experience with prisons. They are given the benefit of the doubt again and again in situations where it is their word against that of an inmate. Yet this is such a rampant thing that they are showing actual COs in uniform with just their faces covered, talking about how they dont get paid enough so they smuggle in drugs for money to make ends meet. Must be nice to be able to justify that kind of illegal behavior that is not only opposed to what you are supposed to represent but that also puts other COs AND INMATES at risk.

Yep, the dude just talked about how all he gets is a patdown when he enters the facility.

I was JUST watching this yesterday. I was like uh, how does this even HAPPEN?! We all know how corrupt everything is. ugh.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grneyeditaliang For This Useful Post:
Dakini (11-27-2015), Lordbew/us (11-27-2015)
Old 12-03-2015, 09:21 AM

Default just got out recently

Alot of the guards are crooked...and most female guards will get down with some body in some type of way...its not easy but it definitely happens every day.and man tdcj is flooded with k2...ive never smoked it but been around alot of it.its what alot do in tdc..ive never smoked it.shit scares me..but ive seen lots of it..alot these cats got big sentences and they will do anything to escape reality..
Old 12-03-2015, 09:31 AM

I had a celly who had 99 years..and all he did every day was smome k2...get drunk..and pop pills..when I first hit michaels unit I thought they sd that shit on commissary..it was every where.lots of money being made by guards and inmates..lots of people owing money..hundreds of dollars..lots of people families supporting they habits..extortion still go on but not like back in day..but I saw alot of wild shit on michaels..then got moved to Robinson unit..over there is was hidden..like under cover.on michaels it was in open..
Old 12-03-2015, 09:37 AM

Default inmates

How u gonna scare some one who got 99 years? The guys with the big time are usually not scared to get caught with some k2...phones are scary they give out time for that now.but that will neve go away either..its life..inmates have nothing but time to think of ways to get shit in..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hardhead817 For This Useful Post:
Dakini (12-03-2015), WeepingWillow (12-03-2015)
Old 12-03-2015, 10:13 AM
TheBee'sKnees
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardhead817 View Post
How u gonna scare some one who got 99 years? The guys with the big time are usually not scared to get caught with some k2...phones are scary they give out time for that now.but that will neve go away either..its life..inmates have nothing but time to think of ways to get shit in..
Well I thoroughly understand the question because my fiancé has life without possibility of parole and the biggest deterrent for him really is loss of visits. The DOC pretends that visits are a nuisance and that they make it harder on staff and the prison when really visits are a huge asset to them because sometimes it's the only thing people have to look forward to.Another reason I wish they would get family visits to lifers. I think it would be a major incentive.
Minor activist (01-08-2017)
Old 12-03-2015, 10:14 AM
TheBee'sKnees
Donation Award 

By the way, they were doing random screening one of the three days that I visited last week. I had to press the button to see if I was randomly selected, and I was not.
fbopnomore (12-03-2015)
Old 12-29-2015, 09:20 PM
Donation Award 

Default A voice from the other side.

I really don't care that COs smuggle drugs into prisons. I'm glad they do. Someone has to keep the supply lines open. We are winning the war on drugs. We, the drugs, will continue to plague your society until you take the time to understand us. First women fought for equal rights, then colored people, then gays, now it's transgendered. Our day is coming...
The Following User Says Thank You to Vorlon007 For This Useful Post:
AnarchyHeart (01-03-2016)
Old 01-03-2016, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardhead817 View Post
Depending on the offense, the 'scare' is in a series of denials contributing to them serving a very lengthy percentage of that sentence. After all, MANY of those 99-year sentences are actually eligible when flat and good equal fifteen years, which means they were coming up for parole around the six and a half year mark, perhaps seven years, if they stayed out of trouble.

But, as the saying goes...you can't fix stupid.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
jadah (01-03-2016), Sarianna (01-08-2017)
Old 01-03-2016, 10:02 PM

Thanked 1,711 Times in 905 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorlon007 View Post
I really don't care that COs smuggle drugs into prisons. I'm glad they do. Someone has to keep the supply lines open. We are winning the war on drugs. We, the drugs, will continue to plague your society until you take the time to understand us. First women fought for equal rights, then colored people, then gays, now it's transgendered. Our day is coming...
I know this can be interpreted a few different ways. But this was good! The war on drugs really has left higher drug use in it's wake. You'd think they'd figure that out by now. I guess looking at successful countries doesn't seem to be a good idea. Personally, ok I know many will disagree, I don't think drug use should be a crime especially with jail time. It's hurting the user. And not all drug users commit crimes. It's easy to say well should we wait til they commit crimes, but many never will. Until maybe they get arrested for drug use and then can't get their job back or a new one with a criminal record. If someone wants help and goes to the hospital they will get arrested. There's the help. Oh wait. It doesn't help. I'm not even saying legalize everything. I don't have the full answer for this. But I do know legal or not people will use. That's been proven. When it's illegal tho it also brings in the violence because of the crazy amounts of money to be made. And now it's also started the making of 'legal' drug like substances that we know are more dangerous then the drug they were trying to duplicate. The drug war really has been a big disaster!
Old 01-07-2017, 07:06 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:

CO's use drugs, smokes for inmates that are desperate, or rather snitch material. Some CO's do get busted, however you never hear of what happens to them. Bet they just get slapped on the wrist and are allowed to continue with their high paying jobs with all the benefits. Disgusting.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:17 PM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 1,587 Times in 787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjaminsbaby View Post
CO's use drugs, smokes for inmates that are desperate, or rather snitch material. Some CO's do get busted, however you never hear of what happens to them. Bet they just get slapped on the wrist and are allowed to continue with their high paying jobs with all the benefits. Disgusting.
From my experniced of being an inmate then a support staff member in the California Correctional System. If an employee is caught smuggling contraband to an inmate. It just isn't a slap on the wrist. It also depends on what the contraband is also . Any drug offense is referred to the D.A for prosecution. The employee is terminated and blackballed from any type of state employment. Plus not a very good job referral to any future employers This may not sound harsh enough for us that have been inside or go through the hassle of getting in to visit.
As an employee with corrections my feelings were that no one that is locked up is worth loosing my freedom for, or loosing my livelihood. Once you do that one small breach of security as a employee it only gets worse. Sure the money is good but can you put a price on your freedom? Another thing I never understood was over familiarity with a inmate, but I have been on both sides of the keys
yourself (01-08-2017)
Old 01-08-2017, 04:35 PM

Thanked 1,053 Times in 585 Posts

I don't really have a point here, just passing along something interesting that I read.

It was a book by a Rikers Island correctional officer written for other C/Os.

Every now and then he noticed a fellow officer whose area was especially well behaved. He tried to study them to pick up tips on how to manage inmates better.

He wound up not following their example because he discovered that they were smuggling drugs and using the supply as a lever to control behavior.

He warned the C/Os reading his book that the DA rewarded inmates who turned in drug-dealing officers.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minor activist For This Useful Post:
Patrickj (01-09-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexLyn View Post

It's funny that one of Upstate NY facilities I have recently visited claimed sport nutrition as the highest form of contraband. Sneaked in the form of Kool-Aid.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:36 PM

The Prison Industry is so broken; there is no way anyone who is in that cesspool has a chance in hell to come out the other side better in any way. What's even worse is that the only people that care are the ones that either have someone in one or has been there themselves.