Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Domestic Violence
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Domestic Violence News and information relating to domestic violence in general. Please post here if you don't see a sub-forums that fits better.

Old 11-20-2015, 05:04 AM

Question The abuser's family, your family

How did your abuser's family respond or not respond during or after your individual and overall abusive situation(s)? How about your own family? How do you feel in regard to any of those people now from your current state of perception on things? Are there feelings of betrayal or maybe do you feel understanding of their not wanting to get involved (if they didn't)? Are you grateful to any of them for anything they did or didn't do in relation to the abuse? Do you think any of them deserve to be assessed any degree of blame? If your abuser was a person in your family such as a parent or sibling, does that change anything in regard to the question?

I have a lot of thoughts and feelings about the subject for myself, some of them conflicting. I bet a lot of the family members and unrelated onlookers have conflicting emotions, too. I'll be really interested to read what any of you have to say about it, coming from your own perspective. TIA for sharing, if you can spare the time!
The Following User Says Thank You to Aphra For This Useful Post:
frostwoman1954 (11-20-2015)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2015, 10:29 AM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 1,421 Times in 679 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphra View Post
How did your abuser's family respond or not respond during or after your individual and overall abusive situation(s)? How about your own family? How do you feel in regard to any of those people now from your current state of perception on things? Are there feelings of betrayal or maybe do you feel understanding of their not wanting to get involved (if they didn't)? Are you grateful to any of them for anything they did or didn't do in relation to the abuse? Do you think any of them deserve to be assessed any degree of blame? If your abuser was a person in your family such as a parent or sibling, does that change anything in regard to the question?

I blame my father for starting my Cycle of Abuse. He was an educator and knew better. My mother did her best, at her own risk, to protect me. Nothing changes in regards to the question.

I have a lot of thoughts and feelings about the subject for myself, some of them conflicting. I bet a lot of the family members and unrelated onlookers have conflicting emotions, too. I'll be really interested to read what any of you have to say about it, coming from your own perspective. TIA for sharing, if you can spare the time!
Michele
Aphra (11-20-2015)
Old 11-20-2015, 04:09 PM

Thank you for responding, Michele. I'm really sorry that your father, the one person who should be trusted and the ultimate protector of a child, was not that for you. Many times we consider abuse to be the act of a family outsider (abused women with significant others who entered the picture), so to have it be a person such as a parent against a child really amplifies the heartbreak, IMO.
Old 11-20-2015, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 27,475 Times in 10,032 Posts

My first abuser was my mother - never physical, always emotional/verbal. My dad did what he could, including divorcing her and fighting for custody of me and my brother.

After that, well, the families of the men were passive or just plain ignorant about the problem.
Aphra (11-20-2015), frostwoman1954 (11-20-2015)
Old 11-20-2015, 06:46 PM

Yay! for you having a dad that loved you enough to fight for custody of you and your brother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimuay View Post
My first abuser was my mother - never physical, always emotional/verbal. My dad did what he could, including divorcing her and fighting for custody of me and my brother.

After that, well, the families of the men were passive or just plain ignorant about the problem.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:22 PM

Thanked 1,694 Times in 837 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphra View Post

My abusers were good at hiding the actual abuse, but family and friends never crossed them, they knew what they were like.
Aphra (11-21-2015), frostwoman1954 (11-20-2015)