Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Drug & Alcohol Treatment & Rehabilitation
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Drug & Alcohol Treatment & Rehabilitation For those whose lives have been touched by addiction to drugs, alcohol or otherwise. For addicts and those who care about them.

Old 03-25-2015, 09:18 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,091 Times in 605 Posts
Default Bill Would Keep Repeat DUI Offenders From Buying Alcohol

Bill Would Keep Repeat DUI Offenders From Buying Alcohol

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - A bill before Tennessee State lawmakers would prevent those convicted of three or more DUI's from purchasing alcohol.
The idea was put forward by freshman Republican Representative John Holsclaw from Johnson City.

Read the entire article below:
http://www.jrn.com/newschannel5/news....html?lc=Smart

I think this is an excellent bill!!! I would vote for it. What do yall think?

Edited by Moderator to conform with PTO's Copyright Rules

Last edited by patchouli; 03-25-2015 at 05:32 PM.. Reason: Copyright
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2015, 09:26 AM

Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,127 Posts

I think its a stupid law. I'm 52 years old I haven't been proofed in 20 yrs. I don't have three dui's either. All its going to do is cause more problems for retailers. Give ATF a way to fine and shut down stores and arrest clerks. Its not going to solve drunk driving. You can't legislate morality.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
Mikesgirl73 (03-25-2015), OnlyInTexas (03-25-2015), Quetz (03-25-2015), SheriBaby (04-15-2015), yourself (03-25-2015)
Old 03-25-2015, 10:32 AM
Crazy Cajun Super Moderator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member PTO Super Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 17,177 Times in 6,850 Posts

Not only that, but if someone wants to put their hands on alcohol, they will find a way to put their hands on alcohol. It would be nothing for them to get someone else to purchase it for them.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LifeTraveler For This Useful Post:
OnlyInTexas (03-25-2015), xolady (03-25-2015)
Old 03-25-2015, 10:45 AM

Thanked 1,547 Times in 502 Posts

It is beyond silly.

I guess the idea is that if someone can't buy the alcohol on their own, they just won't drink, and we'll lay the responsibility of someone being a sober member of society on the retailers.

Also, it seems that this measure is to protect people from themselves. This way, the person looking to drink is unable to do so because someone else is preventing that from happening.

Reality - if someone wants to drink, they will. Drinking is not the problem. No one cares if they drink.

The problem is when someone decides to drive to a bar to get drunk knowing they are going to drive home. Or, in more general terms, when someone who knows they have a drinking problem knowingly, and while still sober, sets all the pieces in motion to have access to their car after they've gotten drunk.

It's the willful and planned disregard for the safety and rights of others that's the issue, and a stamp on an ID card that most people will never see will not solve that.

Best of luck.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Straight For This Useful Post:
OnlyInTexas (03-25-2015), SheriBaby (04-15-2015), xolady (03-25-2015)
Old 03-25-2015, 04:51 PM
Donation Award 

Why do yall think this is any different than the right of a felon to own a gun or vote???

Yes we as Americans we hold the right to own guns and drink alcohol but rights can be removed if the holder doesn't use those rights they way they are intended.

And a convicted felon that 'wants' a gun does manage to get their hands on them, no doubt. But YES let's make it difficult for those who shouldn't own a gun or vote.

And yes I'm married to a man serving 20yrs for DWI's!!!

And ONE life saved is ONE LIFE SAVED.

But I totally agree to disagree with any of you.

Last edited by OnlyInTexas; 03-25-2015 at 05:01 PM..
Old 03-25-2015, 04:56 PM

Only Tennessee! I was buying alcohol at the age of 15 or having someone else buy it for me. And like xo said it is SELDOM i get carded. Maybe by the bigger corporations but go to any "ghetto store" and they aren't trying to look at your ID. How bout a stamp in Tennessee that says "No PRESCRIPTIONS" smh.
OnlyInTexas (03-25-2015), xolady (03-25-2015)
Old 03-25-2015, 08:21 PM
Donation Award 

I will add that Texas just approved a ban AND up to $200 fine for texting and driving
Old 03-25-2015, 08:27 PM
Account Closed

Pumpkin Hunt Winner 2014 

Thanked 1,280 Times in 512 Posts

I think that in theory its great. It's the execution that falls short. It may even make it worse because people always want what they can't have. Besides what is to stop someone from having their spouse go get them a bottle or someone buying them a drink at a bar and then drinking it. I don't think that this will be able to be monitored well enough to be effective.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:36 PM

Thanked 1,547 Times in 502 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyInTexas View Post
Why do yall think this is any different than the right of a felon to own a gun or vote???

Yes we as Americans we hold the right to own guns and drink alcohol but rights can be removed if the holder doesn't use those rights they way they are intended.

And a convicted felon that 'wants' a gun does manage to get their hands on them, no doubt. But YES let's make it difficult for those who shouldn't own a gun or vote.

And yes I'm married to a man serving 20yrs for DWI's!!!

And ONE life saved is ONE LIFE SAVED.

But I totally agree to disagree with any of you.
Well, you did ask...

It's different because you have to produce a voter ID card to vote no matter how old you look, and the felon/gun law is there not to keep them from lawfully buying a gun, but to be able to put them in prison for a longer period of time if caught with a weapon.

You say that one life saved makes it worth it. Are you thinking that if he gets carded at one liquor store and refused, he'll just go on home? You don't think he'll go store to store until he gets the booze, or find a buddy to buy it?

This law would be as easy to get around as a $10 fake ID. Ask any 17 yr old kid where to get them. It's all just a whitewash.

People would still be able to go into bars with this "no alcohol" ID. And the bartender and waitresses don't card people at the tables and bars. So what good did it do?

People get drunk from the booze in the home that the others in the home buy, or with their buddies that buy it.

If you look old, you don't get carded buying booze at stores. And if you do, the $10 fake ID solves that little problem.

All this is is someone trying to save the world with a toothless gesture so that their political career will have a "knight in shining armor" chapter.

There's no reason to put effort into a bill that would be a completely useless law. I'd like my tax dollars to be wasted by the elected officials on more entertaining endeavors.

Maybe the responsibility should be on the person reaching for the drink. Adults being accountable for their own actions and being a responsible member of society.

Having the rest of the world be their keeper fails every time. We're not always with them. They have to be responsible even when no one is looking.

Best of luck.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Straight For This Useful Post:
LifeTraveler (03-25-2015), OnlyInTexas (03-25-2015), txlongtime (03-26-2015), xolady (03-26-2015)
Old 03-25-2015, 09:49 PM
Donation Award 

Or we could waste tax dollars 'babysitting' alcoholics in prison.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:11 AM

Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyInTexas View Post
Or we could waste tax dollars 'babysitting' alcoholics in prison.
I hate to say this but if are still driving after a third dui prison is where you belong because obviously after DUI Classes fines license suspensions you didn't get that drinking and driving don't mix. I agree we need a better system but I don't believe this is going to prevent drinking and driving. By the way there's a hell of a difference between text messaging while driving and being a drunk driver.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (04-22-2016), OnlyInTexas (03-26-2015)
Old 03-26-2015, 06:19 AM

Thanked 9,773 Times in 5,511 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xolady View Post
By the way there's a hell of a difference between text messaging while driving and being a drunk driver.
The aftermath of the accidents look very much the same...and dead or maimed is STILL dead or maimed. And sadly, it tends to be the innocents that suffer, not the actor.

As to the original post...it sounds like a feel-good piece of legislation that doesn't have a chance in hell of passing. Freshman legislator wants something that sounds meaningful to trot out next election cycle. Anyone with a functioning brain-cell would know, however, that enforcement just isn't viable and that even if mechanisms were created to try and require swiping ID on ANY alcohol purchases, it adds another layer of bureaucracy that has to be funded (which means more taxes).
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
Chapel (03-26-2015), OnlyInTexas (03-26-2015), SheriBaby (04-15-2015), xolady (03-26-2015)
Old 04-15-2015, 05:33 AM

I agree with the naysayers.

My brother is 52 years old and no one is going to card him. My brother is an addict and he is mentally ill... he has been known to drink vanilla extract, listerine, etc., when he was hard up enough and had no money.

Additionally he's very personable; even if there was a requirement to swipe every ID I have no doubts he would be able to talk someone into buying alcohol FOR him.

I feel the same way about discussions about ignition interlocks on EVERY vehicle. People like my brother would just talk someone into breathing into it for them! When he was arrested this most recent time, he actually got pulled over on 3 different occasions before he was finally arrested and then sent back for violating parole. The final time he was speeding with an open bottle of whiskey on the seat.. but the previous times he was pulled over, the other 2 times, he was also drinking and had no license and sweet talked cops into letting him go! One of them said "Son, I won't be the man to send you back to prison. You go on home and sleep this off." No kidding.

I just know that where there's a will, there's a way. I come from a family of alcoholics and I've seen first hand the lengths they'll go to to get their fix.

I don't think locking them up forever is necessarily the answer either. I don't know what the answer is. Wish I did. I do think that in my brother's case, he is an addict AND he is mentally ill and our country's handling of those problems is less than ideal. I do believe that if he'd gotten intensive and quality treatment decades ago, his life would have been very different, but he instead has spent years and years in prison. I really think there needs to be something more than just "well, you can go to AA" for certain types of people, and something beyond voluntary 72 hour psych holds. It's obviously not enough.

He's told me how many people (himself included, obviously) do not stay sober in prison either, so if we can't keep alcohol (homemade or otherwise) out of prison, it seems silly to think we can keep it out of their hands on the outside.

And one more thought on that.. I really couldn't care less if alcoholics drink. I don't care if my brother drinks. It's the driving that's the problem. How do you stop that? I was married to an alcoholic for 10 years. He got his 3rd DUI (in a 15? or something like that-- year time period, the other 2 were before we met) the night I was in labor with our son. He slammed into someone without even hitting the brakes at all. Thankfully no one was hurt. Obviously it was not his third time drinking and driving, as we all know.. it was just his third time to get caught. I don't know if it was because of the time between the 1st and 3rd or what but he did not do any prison time. He did 3 months in county jail on a work release program. He totaled our NICE car and I bought a $600 piece of crap car to replace it. They wanted to put an interlock on it and I said no.. it was my car and we could not afford the interlock. I just slept with the keys in my underwear for the rest of the time we were married (five years).

The difference between him and my brother is that his parents (my inlaws at the time) had money and paid a crapload for a lawyer to keep him from suffering more severe consequences. Beyond that though, as far as I know he has just simply NOT DRIVEN in years and years. We split up 12 years ago but have a child together.. and I know he just recently (last year) got a license again, but in the time in between, since he got that DUI the night our son was born, he just *stopped driving*. So it's irrelevant whether or not he was drinking (and I know for a fact he is still drinking) because he's been taking the bus or getting rides for most of the past 17 years. It has been easier for him, having lots of family to drive him around and living in an area with good public transportation, money for taxis, etc.

If my brother would just NOT DRIVE, then fine, let him kill his liver, you know? He lived out in the middle of BFE and was limited to a bicycle and while that is no excuse, I am sure it made it easier for him to justify driving again because he "had" to and had no other way to get around. Still doesn't excuse driving drunk, obviously. Nothing does. He has a compulsion to drive.

Texting and driving is a different subject because you SEE people doing it all the time... there's no question, no issue of a breathalyzer, no sobriety test. Either they were texting or they weren't. Having ridden city buses where the damned bus driver was texting I am all for that law! FWIW I've also seen cops doing it as well.

Last edited by SheriBaby; 04-15-2015 at 05:57 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to SheriBaby For This Useful Post:
OnlyInTexas (04-15-2015)
Old 04-22-2016, 10:18 AM
tired

Thanked 14,155 Times in 3,687 Posts

I'm sure some people will jump right on this and be all for it but from an alcoholic point of view... No bill will stop me. I've found threw the years it's all a money game and those with it just keep driving.
Personally, I believe the interlock system to be a joke. If they caught me, I'd have just put it in a vehicle that I left parked in the garage and only drove it when it was time to get it re-amped. I'm not saying that would be the healthiest choice for those driving along highways, freeways, or even dirt roads with me but that's what I would have done.
That bill. I find it laughable. Anyone can go to 7/11 or any other convenient store and pick up whatever they want. Some of those clerks do good to count change...
I don't know, I really don't mean to be negative but when I lived in Oklahoma I also understood it was a law that if a spouse didn't want you to serve their significant other that was against the law too...I'd have just gone to a place that no one knew me. But then no one, not even 'the law' would have stopped me until I was ready. bb
Old 04-22-2016, 10:55 AM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 1,937 Times in 995 Posts

I just find it silly. It's against the law to buy drugs but millions do every day. It's against the law for felons to buy guns but they do. It's against the law to smoke or drink as a minor but it still happens. More laws are not the answer.