Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > TX State Jails, Private Prisons, Treatment & Parole Facilities Forums > Cole State Jail - Texas
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-03-2004, 03:49 PM
Account Closed

Default Buster Cole Unit-Texas State Jail

Does anyone have any info on Cole State? My husband was transferred there Tuesday. I saw him there today for the first time in over a month and I was just wanting to know anything y'all might know. He said they took a lot of his stuff from Gurney because it was contraband there. He says they can't have fans and that really ticks me off. Can they do that? He just didn't look healthy and I am worried. Thanx.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2004, 09:06 AM
Account Closed

Thanks, Dawna. I have been to see him three times now. I live in Fort Worth so it is only about a two hour drive, thank goodness. He is on the lawn crew(?) but before that he was in another pod and things were getting hairy for him. He had the only bunk that was off camera so the guys that were there before him did not like his arrival. He seems to be doing better now. Has your husband said anything about them not being able to have a fan? Ronnie has only been in the system since June, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not. He also told me that people get lost at cole. Has yours said anything to that effect? Thanks again!
Angel
Old 07-19-2004, 11:12 AM

I haven't had any problems with them losing any of his paperwork. I actually think this is a very good unit, but it may be because he doesn't tell me too many bad things. I have heard lots of horror stories about other units. My husband doesn't work outside, thank goodness. He has never tried to have a fan so I don't know what they would have said. They are very strict with the mail though so it would not surprise me if they don't allow fans. Lawn crew just means that they are allowed outside of the main inmate area to do yard work to keep the place presentable. Be glad that they changed his pod. They have moved Clint several times within this unit and don't be surprised if they are on lock down this week, which means no mail in or out. Clint has heard lots of rumors of that happening.
Old 07-21-2004, 08:12 AM
Account Closed

Ronnie has been saying that about lock down too. I think he just caught a bunch of crap because he is new and kind of gullible. I did not know about no mail during lock down, will they still be able to have visits do you know?
Angel
Old 07-21-2004, 10:26 AM

No, I don't think they will be allowed visits either. but, you can always call the main office # and they can tell you more details. Tell him to be very careful with being around those other guys because the parole board over this unit is extremely strict and WILL pull his time away if they see him into any trouble. Good Luck!
Old 07-21-2004, 12:16 PM
Account Closed

He has been very careful and getting out of that pod helped alot. He just wants to do his time and get it overwith without getting in trouble. How long has your husband been at Cole? Ron has been there about three weeks now and it looks like he has settled in ok now.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:28 AM

My husband has been there since November. He gets disgruntled at times, but has not had any real issues. Tell him to stick with his job and then stay out of trouble and no mouthing off to the officers either. I just found out yesterday that Clint's projected release date was approved by the parole board. So, he will be released on October 18th, 2004. This is what they call there short way. His first parole review was denied. Just be patient and you can IM me any time you have a question.
Old 07-22-2004, 07:18 PM

Dawna - My brother has also been at Cole since November, works in the kitchen, and was recently granted parole - wonder if the guys know one another? My brother's biggest gripe about the place is NO AIR CONDITIONING. He says it's hotter inside than it is outside at times.

earlzsis

Last edited by earlzsis; 07-22-2004 at 07:20 PM..
Old 07-23-2004, 07:59 AM

What is your brother's name? My husband name is Clinton (last name removed by poster request) Yeah, clint gripes about the A/C also. My personal belief on that is...toooo bad. This ain't no country club. I don't feel sorry for him for not having A/C.

Last edited by mamajmg; 06-16-2009 at 07:10 AM.. Reason: Remove personal info
Old 07-23-2004, 08:57 PM
Account Closed

My husband is Ron Eggebraaten. I can see your point Dawna, but at least it hasn't been that hot yet this summer, so he can tough it out. I am just hoping it won't get too bad. You must be glad he is coming home. Congratulations!
Old 08-16-2004, 09:27 AM
Hurting Mom

Default cracknegg

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracknegg
Does anyone have any info on Cole State? My husband was transferred there Tuesday. I saw him there today for the first time in over a month and I was just wanting to know anything y'all might know. He said they took a lot of his stuff from Gurney because it was contraband there. He says they can't have fans and that really ticks me off. Can they do that? He just didn't look healthy and I am worried. Thanx.
I am new to this forum and I don't know if I am doing this right. could you please answer my post to see if I am doing this right. Thanks, Hurting Mom
Old 08-17-2004, 10:02 AM

yes, you did it correctly.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:02 AM
Hurting Mom

Default dawna26

[quote=dawna26]yes, you did it correctly.[/QUOT
Thanks dawn for your reply. I just found this site and I think it is a great support system. I'm not very PC savy so it takes me a while to figure everything out. could you tell me how to post a new post or thread? I would like to tell a little of my story and maybe someone could give me some pointers. I am from Louisiana and I have a son in the Texas prison system. First let me say this has been a nighmare for me and my family. we are all having a really ruff time dealing with this. In Oct of 2002 my son was picked up in Tyler on drug possession. He got a ten year probation. We felt very lucky. At this time I did not even know my son had a drug problem. He went into a rehab, cleaned himself up, got a good job, was paying his bills and doing very well. It was hard but he did it and I was so proud of him. Then this last New Years Eve he made a terrible mistake. He let his friends talk him into going our and celebrating the new year. Well he got a DWI.( here in La) Well of course that was a prob. violation. They arrested him on the spot with no bond. His judge sentenced him to eleven years. I thought me and his Dad were going to have a heart attack right there in the court room. This was his first offence for drug poss. and the DWI. We have found out that his judge is a very moody judge and she must have had a really bad day that day and she lowered the boom on him. We have talked to judges and lawyers here in La. and all have said that was a harsh sentence for a first time offence. He has only been in the Texas system four months but it seems like a life time. He started out in Smith County(a hell hole) then transferred to Bowie, then Gourney and now in Buster Cole. He has only been there for a week. we saw him for the first time last Sat. It had been two months sicne we saw him last. We live Five hours away and it was a ruff trip for me and his Dad. I have RH and my husband has a heart condition. I am so worried about my son. He is a very quiet and shy young man (27) Our visit was really bad. He cried the whole time we were there. This is breaking my heart and I don't know how to deal with it. Its like a bad dream that I can't wake up from. I am praying that he is in a decent place and he will make it thru this. I am very worried about him emotionally. I would appreciate any information any of you can give me about Buster Cole. My best wishes and prayers are with you all. My email is Email remove due to pto police. please pm member. Thank you kindly, Lynn

Last edited by MoMo; 08-18-2004 at 09:14 AM.. Reason: removed email address
Old 08-18-2004, 12:16 PM

Lynn, Buster Cole does seem to be a decent jail. It is a state run jail and it is run by TDC and not a third party. I'm sorry about your son. However, when talking about Texas laws, you should talk to a Texas lawyer. The laws here are very different from other states, especially LA. In Texas, a drug dependency is a drug dependency no matter if it is alcohol or cocaine. Texas laws do not make much difference between those items. So, you say it was his first drug offense and his first DWI, but here, the DWI was a second offense. And even worse, it was a break in probation. Texas does not take that lightly at all. Texas is very strict. I am also sorry to inform you that the likelihood of him getting his probation approved on the first round, is highly unlikely. But, on a lighter note, Buster Cole does seem to be as pleasant as a jail system can be. Since November, they have only had one lockdown (a few weeks ago). His very best bet is to stay away from as many people as possible. Make a few close friends that are very low key. Go to work, no matter what the work is. Take every class that they offer and these things will help the time pass by faster. My husband is getting out in October, but he is welcome to at least say hello. His name is Clinton and he is in bunk H237. He needs to volunteer to go to AA also, that looks good for the review board. Also, if you can help, you should start getting information together now for a parole attorney. Chances of release are better with a parole attorney. But, they need lots of time to gather information. I also live 5 hours away from Cole and know that it is a VERY LONG drive. You should try not to stress out because at this point, there really isn't anything that you can do for him besides give him someone to write to and a connection to the real world...whether it is good or bad things, they will want to know. Tell him that the bills are tight, tell him that someone had a great party and how much they all missed him, send him lots of pictures. It will help him readjust into the real world upon release if he keeps in contact with everyone possible. My husband also likes to read magazines like US Weekly that keep him up to date since he doesn't watch much television there. I hope this information helps and please feel free to go to my profile page and get my email information. I'll be glad to help in any way I can. God Bless You and your husband and son.
Old 08-18-2004, 01:03 PM
Hurting Mom

Thank you so much for your information. It is so appreciate. I have so many questions. I tried to get your email from your profile but couldn't so I tried aol IM. It shows you being online but I'm not getting a response. Waiting to hear form you, Lynn
Old 08-21-2004, 02:34 PM

Unhappy You are not alone...!!

hi..
If you have a loved one in Buster Cole prison in Texas, please add me to your buddie list. I will be online and monotoring all info about Buster Cole prison. I am "hurting mom's" best buddy and love her very much. I want to know all I can about Buster Cole prison. That is where her son, who is a sweet, loving, wonderful young man is right now because he made a mistake...God knows we all make them at one point or another in our lives. God Bless all of you and may he walk with you down this path until your loved ones come home..and even after they come home. that is when you will need God's luv the most.
a loving friend..linda
Old 08-21-2004, 05:38 PM
Account Closed

Hello Lynn and Linda,
I have not had much time to visit here at PTO lately but I do go to the Cole unit every weekend. I don't know if this helps, but I wanted to share what I know of the unit so far. Most of the guards are ok. I highly doubt any of the male guards will ever be nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize, but my husband's biggest complaint is the lack of AC and just that he is where he is. I think we are fairly lucky, as there are much much worse in the system. Lynn, I was so sorry to hear about your son, eleven years seems awfuly harsh, but parole rates are inching up a little, so keep a good thought. God bless you all, I wish you the best.
Angel
Old 08-21-2004, 08:39 PM

I have been talking to Lynn a lot in recent days. I hope that all went well today when she went to visit. I also feel very lucky that Clint is not in a facility that is worse than this one. God Bless Everyone!
Old 08-21-2004, 11:08 PM
Hurting Mom

Default Went to see my baby today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missinmyfriend
hi..
If you have a loved one in Buster Cole prison in Texas, please add me to your buddie list. I will be online and monotoring all info about Buster Cole prison. I am "hurting mom's" best buddy and love her very much. I want to know all I can about Buster Cole prison. That is where her son, who is a sweet, loving, wonderful young man is right now because he made a mistake...God knows we all make them at one point or another in our lives. God Bless all of you and may he walk with you down this path until your loved ones come home..and even after they come home. that is when you will need God's luv the most.
a loving friend..linda
Hi Ladies, I went to see my son today and he is doing much better. Last week end he cried the whole time we were there. this time is was much better. In the last 4 months he has been in 4 different jails and cole has been the best so for. I am praying that he will stay there. Smith County was a hell whole. He says the worse part is the heat but it is cooling off now. Thank god.
Old 08-22-2004, 10:43 AM

I'm glad that your visit went better this time. He will start to acclamated to his surroundings and then start to enjoy his visits with you guys instead of being upset the whole time. God Bless!
Old 09-01-2004, 09:13 PM
Hurting Mom

Default Two great gals

For all you new comers. Dawna26, and TruylKath are two great gals. They have helped me so much. Thank god for such caring people. Hurting Mom
Old 09-01-2004, 09:18 PM
Hurting Mom

Default The Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlzsis
Dawna - My brother has also been at Cole since November, works in the kitchen, and was recently granted parole - wonder if the guys know one another? My brother's biggest gripe about the place is NO AIR CONDITIONING. He says it's hotter inside than it is outside at times.

earlzsis
My son says the heat is almost unbearable too. Doesn't seem to be humane to me. Nothing we can do about it but pray it cools off pretty soon.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:01 PM

Default buster cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired-18 View Post
I know it sux! my boyfriend was transferred to buster cole from gurney too. He had went to comissary 3 days before he was moved, he had bought boots, hygein stuff, food and none of it was sent with him, he had his reading glasses at county and gurney, but buster cole wont let him have them! its so not right! he filled out the i60 form that staff at buster cole told him to send in but he still hasnt got his stuff from gurney, and the glasses he did bring with him from gurney, buster cole took em away! and he really needed his glasses!! im sure your husband will be okay though, i know you cant help but worry about him, my boyfriend seems to be doing okay, he said everyone is okay and gets along, i dont think there is any major fights or anything bad like that going on there. if you want to send me a private message & give me his name, and i can tell my boyfriend, they could be in the same dorm or something.