Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > CAPITAL PUNISHMENT > News from Death Row > Capital Punishment In The News
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Capital Punishment In The News Articles, stories and features found in the media. Please observe our "fair use" copyright policies.

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 01:36 PM
Register
Donation Award 

Default Death row inmate Christa Pike convicted of attacking fellow inmate.

July 1, 2004

NASHVILLE (AP) -- A death row inmate has been
convicted of trying to strangle a fellow inmate at the
Tennessee Prison for Women.

The crime involved Tennessee's most notorious female
prisoners. A jury in Nashville found Christa Gail Pike
guilty. The 28-year-old inmate will be sentenced
later.

Pike, of Durham, North Carolina, is under sentence of
death in the torture killing of fellow Job Corps
student Coleen Slemmer on the University of Tennessee
agricultural campus in Knoxville.

Prosecutors say Slemmer was stabbed and beaten for at
least 30 minutes by Pike and her boyfriend, Tadaryl
Shipp in 1995.

Pike will be sentenced later on the new conviction of
attempted first-degree murder. Authorities say inmate
Patricia Jones was unconscious when Gail was pulled
off of her.

Throughout the trial, Pike's lawyers maintained their
client was acting in defense of a third inmate,
Natasha Cornett, whom Jones had threatened numerous
times.

Cornett is serving three life sentences for leading a
group of Kentucky teenagers to kidnap a family at a
Greene County rest stop in 1997 and kill the parents
and one young child.

Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press. All Rights
Reserved.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2004, 04:04 AM
yeah...having snow

Sad news... I was wondering if any of you people who wrote to miss Pike never heard of her? Did she answer to any of you?

Susan

Old 07-05-2004, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan the finn
Sad news... I was wondering if any of you people who wrote to miss Pike never heard of her? Did she answer to any of you?

Susan
Yes, Christa already wrote several letters to me. We are in very close contact. Usually she's very bad in writing letters since she made bad experiences with pen-friends in the past. Some published her letters online or offered them in the internet for sale.

I only can say the very best about Christa. The bad news about her are out of the past, the whole lot.
The new conviction is because of an incident that happened in 2001. That's 3 years ago. You won't find any bad news about Christa regarding the recent years.
At that time the incident in 2001 happened she did not get the right medication. Christa has several mental disorders. Thus, the medication has to be correct, but in 2001 it wasn't since nobody took care about her.

I visited Christa several times personally and I consider her as one of my dearest friends. We are in close contact for several years now and I never would like to miss her anymore.

Christa loves to get many cards and letters but she herself is not good at writing or answering.
But to brighten her days a little bit and to make her smile is very important in her situation.

Therefore - even if the media tries to illustrate her as a monster, that's not the truth.
Christa is just a normal young woman, full of emotions and desires as everyone of us. She is neither a monster nor an angel.

She made terrible mistakes in the past but she pays for that every day and night.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:58 PM

Well all i can say about this matter is what I have read. I do not know Christa Pike personally. But what i do know about what she has done, i have no desire to get to know her. Yes she is portrayed as a monster, that is a name she deserves to have. I will not send her cards of encouragement, can i send a card of encouragement to colleen slemmer? She may have been young, and some say shes probally crazy. But during the brutal slaying of colleen, she actually sated she walked away to see if someone was coming. Thats not the actions of someone who doesnt realize what they are doing. Some people want to use her up bringing as her excuse for the choices she has made. Well does that mean that every molested child will grow up and be a child molester, does that mean that every child who has witnessed there father beating on there mother will grow up to be an abusive spouse, I dont think so. We all are given the chance to make our own choices. My up bringing was not good. Worse than what i know about Christa's. But I'm not going out and brutually taking someones life. Instead I went to school, college, and made something of myself. I have a wonderful job and a great family. Christa's made her bed. She needs to lie in it, until Ms. Slemmers family can finally come to peace and Christa is put to death. Im sorry if i have offeneded anyone. But it saddens me to see so many people support someone who is nothing more than a monster. And i belive calling her a monster and what she done hidious is an understatement
Old 01-14-2005, 11:12 PM
Closed

Default I'm With You On This One

Simply Amazed... I Am Totally Behind You On This One!! I Just Read All I Could Read Online About This Female And I Cannot Believe The Evil!!i Am Not Normally An Advocate Of The Death Penalty, But In This Case I Would Have To Make An Exception... I Feel For The Victim's Family, May They One Day Have Some Kind Of Closure... What A Senseless Crime!! And No Remorse At All!! Wow...
Old 01-14-2005, 11:20 PM
Aussie Chick

Please don't forget that PTO is a support site and as such it is important to remember that friends and family of Christa Pike may visit here for support.
Thank you.

Rest peacefully Lonnie 9/17/61-5/3/05
Sadly missed by his family and friends
Old 01-15-2005, 12:11 AM

"Some published her letters online or offered them in the internet for sale."

Trivial here perhaps but I feel compelled to mention it.
How awful to be a penpal with a deathrow prisoner so you can publish or sell their letters!

Last edited by titantoo; 01-15-2005 at 12:12 AM..
Old 01-15-2005, 01:23 AM
~his spice 4 life~

"until Ms. Slemmers family can finally come to peace and Christa is put to death"

It saddens me that a family could find PEACE in someone's death. That is very sad for them if that is true - what a way to heal - watching someone die. I'm not even going to go into the mentality of that one.....

No one is 100% purely evil. They may be mentally ill, A LOT evil, on and on, but there IS good in everyone - even if it is a very small part. It doesn't mean they're safe in society or anything like that, don't get me wrong. However......Obviously one of the posters above sees that small part - the good part. She is to be commended for looking at a sick human being and recognizing the good that is also there.

As a deathrow inmate said, once you have committed such a heinous crime, no good you ever did before or will ever do again, will be recognized. You will just forevermore be a monster. How sad.

If/when she is put to death, I hope the family can forgive themselves someday for the joy they got out of it.
Old 01-16-2005, 04:56 AM

It is sad that this altercation happened between Christa Pike and Patricia Jones. Unfortunately, this is going to make it much more difficult for Christa during her appeals process. I had once anticipated a possible commutation on account of Christa's age and the fact that she is a female, but it's looking more doubtful with each incident that takes place there in prison. What can possibly be done for Christa at this point?

MrCoffee
Old 07-19-2005, 11:32 PM
The Janitor Of God

Thanked 1,114 Times in 555 Posts

No, I have never received any responses to several letters and cards I have sent to Christa Pike. If she is concerned about people selling her letters I can certainly understand--the main person who has been up to this sort of thing that I know of is a fellow named Ken Karnig who maintains a web site URL Removed please see PTO Rules and Policies. Until I, along with supporters of another prisoner managed to get the sale of such things banned, he was selling prisoners letters and similar items on eBay under the name "Supernaught". If Ms. Pike is not familiar with his name, she might want to watch out for him--he doesn't deserve the time of day.

No one can condone or ignore Christa Pike's crimes. However, it is difficult not to conclude that she was suffering from serious mental difficulties (including, I believe, drug addiction) at the time and that some of these may well be going untreated, which I believe represent "extenuating circumstances". She has been removed from society and will never again represent a threat to the public. What more will be accomplished by her death?

I cannot sympathize to a great degree with Christa Pike (though to be honest, if she wanted something I could provide, I'd be happy to provide it). Neither can I bring myself to believe that any criminal, however vicious the crime, should be put to death. Alive, she may well contribute something to society someday--who can say? Dead, all anyone can do is fill a burial plot.

So Kermit, do give her my good wishes if you wish to and if she would like another pen pal, I'll be happy to write to her again and offer my solemn promise that her words will be kept in strictest confidence. I am a Universalist minister--if she has any interest in spiritual matters I will be happy to answer any question or offer gentle suggestions.
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveMoff For This Useful Post:
Johnston90 (04-30-2008)
Old 07-20-2005, 06:36 AM

Thanks for your understanding, DaveMoff.

Well, it's not unusual to get no reply from Christa. As I already stated she's
not good at writing.
Besides that she doesn't think she has anything interesting to tell.

Anyway, she really appreciates all cards and letters she receives.

I don't wanna comment on her current situation. This is a public forum
and you'll never know who reads your postings. Time has taught us better to be distrustful than too confident.
But be sure her attorneys and friends care about Christa and try to protect her against anything.

Certainly I'll give her your good wishes and greetings. Maybe she'll send
you a reply someday.

By the way: You're certainly able to help Christa by NOT believing all that nasty stuff some people try to vulgarize online. Even if that "news" is at least 4 years old several people present it as spectacular new stuff and dwell upon that subject.
That way those daubers are at least able to present yellow press articles from 2001 and older as radical new conclusions. You can call it "cheap propaganda"! And the effect is that basically unprejudiced people could be influenced concerning Christa's person by such rubbish.

Never forget: At that time she did NOT get any appropriate medication!!

However, the "real" Christa is quite different!! Be sure!!! I visited
her again a few weeks ago and it was just great - as usual!! I would never
forsake her and already look forward to see her again!!

Take care!
Old 07-21-2005, 10:09 PM
The Janitor Of God

Believe me, I understand perfectly, Kermit. There are obviously many, many things in any ongoing appeal process that must remain private, and you are to be commended for doing so.

I can assure you that I don't read "true crime" books or regard the contents of same as anything more than lurid yellow journalism at best, cheap fiction at worst. Patricia Springer, who I believe wrote a book about Christa Pike, is one of the worst offenders in this area. I honestly wouldn't trust a word she writes apart from getting some of the names right and identifying the location correctly.

It sounds to me as you have far more insight here than any "true crime writer" ever could, and I very much appreciate your taking the time to write what you did. I send you and Ms. Pike every good wish.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:22 PM
Register
Donation Award 

Please do remember PTO is a place for support, we are not here to decide if someone is guilty or not or deserves their punishment or not. If you have comments or questions that is fine, but do keep them within the scope of our policies and rules. And do keep them respectful to others.

Thank You
softie
Old 09-08-2005, 01:42 PM
Peaceful
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,072 Times in 565 Posts

I would hope that all circumstances and evidence will prevail in the sentencing. Hopefully, the best possible outcome for all concerned. Mental Illness is indeed a tragedy and untreated mental illness should be a crime in itself. There just is no excuse for it. All of my best to all concerned. Prayers and positive thoughts being sent up to all involved.
May she rest in peace.

~ PTO Administrators and Staff

Old 11-04-2005, 11:15 PM

She deserves whatever she gets however I also do not beleive in the death penalty , I think a more fitting crime for crista would be to be totally isolated from everyone and have the food pushed under her door once a day and have the walls covered with pictures of ms slemmers family and ms slemmer herself to slowly go made , that seems right don't you agree ?
The Following User Says Thank You to philomom For This Useful Post:
tkp123 (04-13-2009)
Old 11-04-2005, 11:40 PM
The Janitor Of God

Sensory deprivation is already a major component of imprisonment. I don't know Christa Pike, and no particular opinion about her except that I do not believe society will be enriched in the slightest by her death. Nor would it receive any benefit by subjecting her to conditions likely to unbalance her mind (which would then require additional prison personnel and expenses to keep her under control, the end result most likely being that she end up feeling no remorse or pain at all).

I'm not sure who got the idea that being in prison, especially maximum security, is anything resembling a cakewalk. Particularly a high-profile case like Ms. Pike's exposes the perpetrator to the risk of attack and harassment by other inmates, which often leads to them being kept in "segregation", that is, solitary. An acquaintance who was recently offered the choice of life without parole or execution has chosen the latter if her appeals do not work out. What sort of life must one have behind bars to make such a decision? I don't think it's something that we on the outside can comprehend.

Christa Pike committed a terrible crime--there seems no doubt about it, and no excuse for it. But if we as a society are to treat her as she treated her victim, how can we possibly regard ourselves as morally superior?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DaveMoff For This Useful Post:
LollieTheCat (05-19-2008), luvssks (04-28-2008), mrscede (10-18-2008), MrsCetina (07-19-2011)
Old 11-24-2005, 04:08 AM
Closed

What an evil thing to say - I defiantly do not hope anyone would do that to anyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by philomom
She deserves whatever she gets however I also do not beleive in the death penalty , I think a more fitting crime for crista would be to be totally isolated from everyone and have the food pushed under her door once a day and have the walls covered with pictures of ms slemmers family and ms slemmer herself to slowly go made , that seems right don't you agree ?
Old 11-24-2005, 04:11 AM
Closed

I'm sorry - but this does sort of offend me.

Is this the right forum to be stating these beliefs?
Don't get me wrong - I'm all for the right to speak your mind - but what good does it do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyamazed
Well all i can say about this matter is what I have read. I do not know Christa Pike personally. But what i do know about what she has done, i have no desire to get to know her. Yes she is portrayed as a monster, that is a name she deserves to have. I will not send her cards of encouragement, can i send a card of encouragement to colleen slemmer? She may have been young, and some say shes probally crazy. But during the brutal slaying of colleen, she actually sated she walked away to see if someone was coming. Thats not the actions of someone who doesnt realize what they are doing. Some people want to use her up bringing as her excuse for the choices she has made. Well does that mean that every molested child will grow up and be a child molester, does that mean that every child who has witnessed there father beating on there mother will grow up to be an abusive spouse, I dont think so. We all are given the chance to make our own choices. My up bringing was not good. Worse than what i know about Christa's. But I'm not going out and brutually taking someones life. Instead I went to school, college, and made something of myself. I have a wonderful job and a great family. Christa's made her bed. She needs to lie in it, until Ms. Slemmers family can finally come to peace and Christa is put to death. Im sorry if i have offeneded anyone. But it saddens me to see so many people support someone who is nothing more than a monster. And i belive calling her a monster and what she done hidious is an understatement
Old 11-24-2005, 04:28 AM

Well spoken, Friends4ever!!

On one side this is not the correct place for such a kind of statements. On the other side: What did Christa do to those who spread their hate against her??

Let's pray that never anything like that will happen to any friend or family member of those posters.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:53 AM
Wage Slave

If ever there is a person who meets the definition of criminally insane, it is Christa Pike. The mental illnesses that drove her to commit her crimes are very real, and something for which she never asked. I wonder how well the people calling for her death would do if they were so afflicted.

That said, she is a very dangerous person who should probably never be allowed out of prison. Although I do not want to see anyone executed, it is very important to protect society from dangerous people. I hope that Christa gets the treatment for her mental illnesses that she needs and is kept from harming others. Let Christa spend the rest of her life in a safe place. Hopefully, she and the families of her victims will find peace some day.
Old 11-24-2005, 08:00 AM
Closed

I agree 100% with you.

Mental illness is like breaking a leg or needing glasses - and what I mean by that is: No one asks for it - whether you break a leg or is mental ill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by techietype
If ever there is a person who meets the definition of criminally insane, it is Christa Pike. The mental illnesses that drove her to commit her crimes are very real, and something for which she never asked. I wonder how well the people calling for her death would do if they were so afflicted.

That said, she is a very dangerous person who should probably never be allowed out of prison. Although I do not want to see anyone executed, it is very important to protect society from dangerous people. I hope that Christa gets the treatment for her mental illnesses that she needs and is kept from harming others. Let Christa spend the rest of her life in a safe place. Hopefully, she and the families of her victims will find peace some day.
Old 11-24-2005, 08:03 AM
Closed

And now that we are on the subject - I don't get why they put mentally ill people in prison instead of treating them for their disorder.

My boyfriend tells me - that on his pod - there is a guy who's very ill (mentally) and needs help.
He was his own attorney and called; Jesus, J. F. K. and himself as witnesses.
Does that not give someone an indication of that he needs help - not prison?
Old 11-24-2005, 11:00 AM
yeah...having snow

OMG, that sounds awful!

I have been wondering the same, we don't try mentally ill persons in this country and almost everybody are mentally examinated before sentencing (those who commit murder, rape or other serious crime). Mentally ill belong to hospital, not to prison!

Old 11-25-2005, 10:23 PM

when i read about what some people have done to others...its a nowonder we have capital punishment, i think some people have no compassion for others, no-one has the right to take the life of another...

chatterboxchick
Old 11-26-2005, 08:15 AM
Closed

So why should the state be allowed? Who can play God and decide when it's time for someone to go.
And then again - I think of the innocent people who gets executed in the name of justice - to me it's simply barbaric.

Don't get me wrong - I have the deepest sympathy for the victims and their family's - but killing someone - will not bring anyone back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatterboxchick
when i read about what some people have done to others...its a nowonder we have capital punishment, i think some people have no compassion for others, no-one has the right to take the life of another...

chatterboxchick
Closed Thread