Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Met While Incarcerated
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Met While Incarcerated Were you introduced by a friend or family member after he/she was incarcerated? Did you meet as Pen Pals? This Forum is for you!

View Poll Results: What were you looking for?
Just friends 89 46.84%
I was just curious 83 43.68%
Flirtation without commitment 6 3.16%
I was looking for a relationship 12 6.32%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-03-2008, 03:20 PM

Default MWI's - What made you go to a Prison Pen Pal Site?

I was just wondering what drew you to an imate pen pal site and not just some basic foreign pen pal type, or the like?

"Risk more than others think is safe. Care more than others think is wise. Dream more than others think is practical. Expect more than others think is possible. "
~ Cadet Maxim
The Following User Says Thank You to kimntonic For This Useful Post:
tattoogirl603 (08-08-2014)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2008, 03:34 PM
I love that man!

I was watching a TV show on the WE channel and it was mentioned so I wanted to check it out.
Old 10-03-2008, 04:11 PM
Love is....US!

One of my friends had met a guy on an inmate penpal site, and things worked out well for them. She suggested I should give it a try. I wasn't looking for a relationship, especially one with an inmate, but figured at the very least, I could send a few letters, cards here and there to brighten someone's day and possibly make a new friend. Well, a year later, I got way more than what I was looking for, but couldn't be happier.

Old 10-03-2008, 04:30 PM

One of me old friends used to write to an inmate, and I was bored and I like writing letters lol... Plus she recomended that I didn't do it, so that made me more interested.

So I wrote to this guy, and here we are a year later, absolutely in love. I also write to two other people, one, who has become a dear friend and was introduced to me by someone on here, and another on DR.

All in all, a good experience I'd say.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:05 PM
Closed

I read a book about someone on death row, and I wanted to find out what happened to him. His case was more than questionable, so I was hoping to find out that he got a new trial and was released, but nope - he's still there. I wrote him to thank him for sharing his story and enlighten me about the death penalty. That made me aware that there were others needing in the need for a friend. At that time I didn't know that people actually formed romantic relationships with someone they met while incarcerated
Old 10-04-2008, 12:07 AM

Watching Lockup on MSNBC over a two-week stretch. I was determined to inspire the life of an inmate and ended up being inspired myself.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to devotedtoone For This Useful Post:
EST4LIFE (03-15-2014), hoppin (01-31-2014), IrishFire (05-04-2014), mammaseeta (08-07-2014), misshollie (01-12-2014), vtco (10-05-2008)
Old 10-04-2008, 09:29 AM
I love him with my all!!!

Thanked 2,053 Times in 945 Posts

I figured what the heck let me brighten someone else days and make them feel good.. I have wrote people basically since I was 15 years old..And I had success in making loads of prioner friends. I didnt intend to meet the man of my dreams on thier but I did and I am thankful that I meet him...It was like found him..wrote him..bammm...so in love with him...
Old 10-04-2008, 10:12 AM
It's ending

Smile

I watched this doc called 'four weddings and a execution'. It had five women on there talking about their mwi's who were all murderers. I actually thought the women were stupid at first. Talking about how sweet these men are who committed cold blooded murder! But it stuck in my head. I was going through a lot in my life, deaths in my family, abuse, etc. I wanted someone to listen and maybe be there for me with advice and support. And I could do the same. So I went online looking for a friend. Someone who shared the same interests and who I had similarities with. I found him, but we winded up building something stronger than a friendship.

Old 10-05-2008, 03:17 AM
grateful for my Man!
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,144 Times in 1,609 Posts

I cannot vote this in this way: I have had questions and was looking for an answer. I NEVER wanted to get involved in a relationship ,and I always made this VERY clear.

I have just not had any chance where my Man is concerned, haha!

the way the other acts is his karma and responsibility, the way I respond is mine!
Old 10-05-2008, 11:49 AM

I was bored and curious about what it would be like. I already knew tons about inmates and well look where it got me, in the best relationship I ever had
Old 10-05-2008, 11:56 AM

I was genuinely looking for just a penpal no more and decided on an inmate one as I was at such a low ebb in my life and thought if I could make someone elses better then mine wouldn't seem so bad.
Here we are now planning the rest of our lives together.
Old 10-05-2008, 02:13 PM
Walking the Walk
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,376 Times in 772 Posts

I was just looking for a standard-type pen-pal; I didn't know the prison type existed. I'd had some email pen-pals, but my life is very busy and I felt swamped by the instant turnaround times. I wanted a more traditional type of correspondence with a week or two between letters.

The website I found was aimed towards international pen-palling, but had a tiny inmate section of just a handful of people with no pictures. I clicked into it out of sheer amazement, found my husband's ad, and the rest is history.
Old 10-05-2008, 03:24 PM
In a good place!
Donation Award 

At the time, I was with this dude here in London, who had been to state prison in NY. He was telling me about his experience, and even showed my his record on the NY DOC. He was telling me about how lonely he felt and stuff. So that lead me to look on some DOC website (as we dont have any such sites here in the UK). One click lead to another click, and suddenly I stumbled onto some prison pen pal websites!
I remembered what my (now) ex had said about it being lonely and everyone abandoning you, and decided to reach out to some people, to try and brighten their days and make their time a little more easier!
Old 10-06-2008, 10:14 PM

I was rather curious and that's what landed me on the pen pal website..... a lady I worked with had several pen pals in prison and I was wondering what she found so interesting....I went on the website and noticed this one guy in particular, the words really touched my heart, but I could see the loneliness in his eyes. Never the less a few days later I decided to write. When I wrote him, I put 2 stamps in the envelope (1 for me and the other for his mother). I had read in the federal prison system they don't allow anything from the outside to enter in through the mail, but I figured if these two stamps made it to him then it was meant to be.....if not then so be it.
Yes he got the stamps.....and now we are married.....Lovin' one another for Life!
Old 10-07-2008, 09:05 AM
i am with you always

Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,145 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormChild View Post
I was just looking for a standard-type pen-pal; I didn't know the prison type existed. I'd had some email pen-pals, but my life is very busy and I felt swamped by the instant turnaround times. I wanted a more traditional type of correspondence with a week or two between letters.

The website I found was aimed towards international pen-palling, but had a tiny inmate section of just a handful of people with no pictures. I clicked into it out of sheer amazement, found my husband's ad, and the rest is history.
thats how i came across it also.. looking for an o/seas penpal..not an inmate as i didnt know these sites existed...& saw the link/add..went into it out of curiosity..and here i am now hey!
Old 10-07-2008, 09:18 AM
Mrs.HUGHES

I was just blogging on the computer one night and same accross an ad for prison penpals. I had never thought about prisoners much, and did not know they could even have penpals. I picked out a guy that was on the other side of the country from me. (I did'nt want some guy getting out and showing up on my doorstep) lol. He had an ad for just friends, and I thoughrt this might be fun. Well, I did'nt have it worry about him showing up on my doorstep because I flow across the country to meet him ,and then back this past April to marry him. We are very much in love.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:24 AM
Account Suspended

As cheesy as this sounds.....lol. Fate. That is what made me go to a pen pal site. I don't have any other explanation. hehe.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:50 PM

I had no idea those type of penpal sites existed. I googled it one day, after overhearing a conversation & was totally fascinated. I read ads for 2 or 3 days straight! Finally, I decided to write a guy, b/c he sounded sad & it was almost his b-day, so I thought, let me just send him a card...
Old 10-10-2008, 04:20 PM
I LOVE MY MUSLIM MAN!

none of the above...I stumbled upon his AD when I was looking at sites to start a Muslim Prisoner Site with my now EX husband.
Old 10-11-2008, 01:48 PM

I was skipping class one day, and was watching CourtTV and they were doing a show on prisons. THey mentioned that there are prison penpal sites out there and I was dumbfounded, I had never heard of anything like that. Out of pure curiousity, I looked one up and read for hours. I came across his ad, and in it he said that they had taken their art program. As an artist myself, I really felt for him. SO I decided to write him to see if I could send him some supplies. It was supposed to be a one shot deal, I wasnt even looking for a penpal, just wanted to help someone out. Well 4 years later we are still together and very much in love. It was fate that I skipped class that day and saw that show...
Old 10-13-2008, 05:11 PM

I was bored. I moved to Georgia in June and I dont really know anyone here. So, I decided to look at the pen pal sites. He caught my eye with his ad. I was a little hesitant because I have been in a prison relationship before. I know you all are probably thinking im crazy for trying again but I figure whats the worst that could happen. Well, I have been testing him and so far he has been honest. When he could have lied. I am going to school to be a paralegal. So I know how to investigate and find the truth. Everything is good so far. I just continue to pray and put it in God's hands.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:23 PM
ஐ i ♥ him w/all of me ஐ

Talking was bored one day...

I came across an article about just writing prisoners to help them keep in touch with the "free" world. I started googling and found a ton of pen pal prisoner sites. I figured "why not?", I had nothing to do and what could it hurt, right?

I decided to send small "intro" cards to 5 and figured to just take it from there. I seriously didn't think that they were going to write back. But I mainly focused on the ones that weren't looking for romance or relationships...just strictly friendship (since I wasn't looking for anything serious myself). Four responded to me, but ONE evolved into something more. I never thought it'd happen to me, but I'm glad it did!

The Following User Says Thank You to PrincessBaby For This Useful Post:
LadyKisses (10-13-2008)
Old 10-23-2008, 12:12 PM
HIS Baby Girl!

Lock-up got me. It was an episode about how important mail call is to prisoners. Before seeing this show I didnt give prison or prisoners anythought...out of sight out of mind i guess...now almost 2 years later my MWI and I am madly in love...
Old 11-02-2008, 04:02 PM
I LOVE MY HUSBAND

What made me was because one day i had nothing to do i sat and looked up pen pals as fiends. I had never thought about relationships until it happen to me before i knew it hahaha.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:07 PM

I was lonely. I have a 22 year old daughter, and an 8 year old son - they were my life. Everything I did revolved around them; which didn't leave much time for me. I was just looking for someone to talk to about everyday life. Well, I ended up with that AND SO MUCH MORE