Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Drug & Alcohol Treatment & Rehabilitation
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Drug & Alcohol Treatment & Rehabilitation For those whose lives have been touched by addiction to drugs, alcohol or otherwise. For addicts and those who care about them.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:35 PM
Donation Award 

Default My daughter and mental illness plus drug addiction

hi my name is jennifer and im from indiana...ive been a member here for a while just have been gone for a few...was wondering if anybody can help answer a few ? my daughter whom is 21 now has been in and out of jail 9 times,,, was homeless out on the streets doing im sure you can imagine... finally she was court ordered into mental health and drug addiction treatment... we found out where she is called to verify,,,we were told they are not supposed to give that info out but yes shes here...so we wrote her... the letter was returned... is it maybe cause she refused to contact us or when taking treatment instead of jail time..are they not allowed? just confused because after the letter was returned i called to ask about her and they said they dont know tha tname? wtf we were already told she was there...any input is appreciated..
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2014, 03:25 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,285 Times in 607 Posts

Its hard to say, when my son first went into treatment ( and yes they never can confirm or deny they are there) the first 3 months he was not allowed to have contact with anyone, so it could be that or she could have returned it, its hard to say. It depends on what program she is in. Listen at least you know she is safe, hang in there!

I hope it works out for you
The Following User Says Thank You to mg113 For This Useful Post:
Jenny67 (02-25-2014)
Old 02-25-2014, 06:04 PM
attorney

Thanked 19,682 Times in 7,092 Posts

She's 21 and an adult - they should not be giving out information to anybody about her status or presence in a particular treatment program. Further, she has every right to refuse contact with anybody while in treatment. Refusing to communicate with parents is common in young people with dual diagnoses, so take a deep breath - you're in for a roller coaster ride that will start only when she decides to contact you.

While specific information is not available from a treatment program, general information should be. You should be able to get policy and procedures for the facility. This will let you know if there's a limit on contact or type of contact.

In the interim, you might want to give Alanon a go for contact with others who have loved ones with addiction problems. You may also want to look into your local chapter of NAMI for support from others who have loved ones with mental illness. You'll find that there's a significant overlap between the two groups - there are a lot of people who have mental illness and addiction. You are not alone.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
Jenny67 (02-25-2014), mg113 (02-26-2014), Subie24 (09-24-2014)
Old 02-25-2014, 07:01 PM
tired

Thanked 14,155 Times in 3,687 Posts

Hi jenny, it's been a long time since i saw youon the boards...qwelcome home.
They're not going to give her any mail if she was sentenced to rehab/ mental evaluation. It's a period where they want her to find herself without outside interference.
Just be strong. Let her get threw this diagnostic period and if she wants contact or they feel contact will benefit her progress they'll let you in on everythin. SShe's now an adult with doctor/patient confidentiality.

Last edited by bumblebee37; 02-25-2014 at 07:02 PM.. Reason: forgive typing errors..phone with little keys. argh
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bumblebee37 For This Useful Post:
Jenny67 (02-25-2014), mg113 (02-26-2014)
Old 02-07-2015, 03:09 AM
Aly'sMom

Jenny67, I'm kinda in the same boat with you. My daughter, 23 was sent about 2 weeks ago to SAFP in Dayton, Tx. I know she's there,, 1st because I found her doing a inmate look up. I went into a panic because she is also dual diagnosis and was supposed to be going to a special needs program and that was not where I found her. About 5 days later she was moved. Now she's in the right place at least. I got my first mail from her this week but no calls yet. She also indicated she has not gotten any email from me and I hAve emailed daily. We have to remember a couple of things with our adult children. 1) like it or not they are in control of who they see , who they talk to and who / when they write 2) They have lots of forms to fill out one is a call and visitation list, if that's not done you will hear nothing another is a medical release of information, this one is huge because if she will fill it out with you as an authorized person to release information, this gives you the key to her life inside. You can get all information even medical and you can talk to her counselors. If you wrote as soon as you found her the mail might have gotten there before they had her in the system for nail, phone etc. My daughter was there 3 days before she was completely in the system, the reason she did not get my first few enails. It took them 5 days to get her back on her medication. My daughter is in Texas first 45 days , no phone, no commissary except hygiene and writing materials, envelopes and stamps. I am getting weekly mail from her now but we are stuck with just that until the end of this month. I have been in touch with JPAY and Securestech.net and they have been helpful with email and phone service connections. It may be different for you. TEXAS has a friends and family handbook online for each prison and state jail in the state. That was very helpful. Good luck with your daughter. I have to remind myself that she's not on the street, she's being fed, she has a bed, she's not using drugs and that for now she is just the best place she could be.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aly'sMom For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-07-2015)