Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > LOUISIANA > Louisiana Prisons & Jails > Louisiana DOC Prisons
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Louisiana DOC Prisons Topics and discussion specific to Louisiana DOC prisons.

Old 09-14-2013, 11:31 PM

Default Louisiana Transitional Center for Women (LTCW - Tallulah, La.)

LTCW is a relatively new although the facility buildings are not. In 2011 the state closed the Steve Hoyle Facility and turned the property over to the Madison Parish Sheriff's office to run as a correctional facility for women from all over the state. It is meant to a be a transitional facility to help women as they prepare for reentry into society. So the inmates there usually have short sentences, or are low risk.

LTCW is a relatively new although the facility buildings are not. In 2011 the state closed the Steve Hoyle Facility and turned the property over to the Madison Parish Sheriff's office to run as a correctional facility for women from all over the state. It is meant to be a transitional facility to help women as they prepare for reentry into society. So the inmates there usually have short sentences, or are low risk.

Here are some of the things that I know about it and how it operates:

Inmates are housed in dorms with 2 inmates to a room. There is also a “workers dorm” for inmates who hold jobs within the facility. Inmates in that dorm have more leeway with shower times and it less chaotic than it would be in the general population. However, they get searched more because they have access to so much more than the general population does.

There are common areas to congregate or watch TV and inmates are allowed on the yard at certain times during the day. Smoking is allowed outside but cigarettes are about $10 a pack. There is a commissary where inmates may purchase food items or small radios, batteries, paper, stamps etc. Inmates have access to a small microwave as well.
VISITATION - Visiting hours are on Saturdays and Sundays from 10am to 4pm. You are allowed to visit with your inmate in a large room with tables set up for you to sit at and visit. These are contact visits where you can hug your inmate or hold hands. The inmate must submit the names of their visitors to be approved and put on their visitors list. This can take a few weeks. You are allowed to visit for 2 hours each day.

The dress code for visitors is basically the same as any other place. Visitors are patted down. You may not bring in a purse or cell phone. You need to have change for the vending machines - no paper money. The vending machines do not give change so you may want to bring some nickels and dimes so that you are not paying more for the already overpriced items in the vending machines.

CLOTHING FOR INMATES - At this time, Inmates are allowed to wear some "street clothes" (if they brought it with them when they were arrested or transferred from another facility). But you may NOT bring them any clothing, once they are there. However, they are looking to tighten up the rules so that inmates must be wearing either their uniform pants OR a shirt at all times. (Meaning that either their shirt or pants must be from their issued clothing, so that inmates are not completely clothed in "street clothes").

MAIL ORDERING ITEMS FOR INMATES - Any clothing that an inmates needs (besides their LTCW issued uniforms) should be ordered thru the Walkenhorst Company. But the inmates are only allowed to order a very limited number of items from the vast catalog. They are NOT allowed to order any food items, electronics, art supplies, etc. Only certain clothing items (white only) and personal care products (shampoo, hand cream, toothpaste, etc) can be ordered.

At this time, Walkenhorst does NOT have a master list of the allowable items that can be ordered for LTCW inmates. Usually inmates get an order form and fill it out with the approved items and then send that order form to a family member to make the order for them and submit payment to the company. Items cost more than they would in a normal store (of course!) and there is a $7.95 fee added to each order for shipping. You can go online to find Walkenhorst to see what they have and may request a catalog but a great majority (about 90-95%) of the items they offer are not allowed at LTCW.

Inmates CAN get orders of books from Amazon. The books must come from Amazon and not an individual seller on Amazon. Inmates are allowed to order books but are NOT allowed to order coloring books. (In fact, coloring, color pencils, etc are NOT allowed at all at LTCW). I do not believe that inmates can order stationery, cards or anything like that.

MAILING RULES - LTCW has rather stringent rules for what can be mailed to an inmate. Anything that is mailed that is "not allowed" will be discarded (not mailed back to the sender). So the sender doesn't know that the inmate doesn't get it and the inmate doesn't know that it was sent. Different employees in the mailroom have different ideas of what is permissible and what is not. But most generally, at this time, things that are NOT allowed include such items as:
*Coloring books, coloring sheets (whether colored or uncolored)
*Pages torn from magazines, puzzle books, coloring books, books, etc
*Blank cards or envelopes, and stamps

I spoke with the person in charge of the mail room and she emphatically told me she throws out anything resembling pages from a coloring book, artwork - whether drawn, colored or photocopied. She said that inmates are NOT allowed to color or draw and can be written up for doing so. They are also not allowed to create their own cards. (She said that this is because inmates might trade their artwork on the inside or might draw on their clothing which is strictly forbidden). Yeah, it is overly harsh to the point of ridiculousness compared to other facilities in other states.

I was told that letters to inmates can be discarded it they have any drawn images, doodling or artwork. She was very emphatic that NO art at all should be sent although this seems to be more of a personal peeve of hers and not the horrible, outlawed crime that she tries to make it seem. She warned me that people would be written up if they were caught drawing, doodling or doing any art work at all, like it was a zero tolerance policy. Other staff members I talked did not see drawing as a reason for being written up. But I felt it was worth mentioning because any items that are not acceptable are thrown away, not returned.

If you want to send your inmate any puzzles or magazine/newspaper articles, you must print them out on copy paper or they will be discarded. I have no idea why they cannot be pages that are torn or cut from a magazine or book.

I have asked for a copy of the mail regulations but was not given one. I was told my inmate would have to go get the list of regulations and make me a copy and mail it to me. You basically get different answers from different employees there about all sorts of things and sometimes rules can be made up on the spot. Inmates are expected to know what the rules are even though they have not been explained and questions about them are not welcomed. But I figure that is standard operating procedure for most facilities.

PHONE CALLS - The phone company that services LTCW is “Customer Service of America” and you prepay for the calls that the inmate makes to you. You set up an account and are charged about $8-10 as a “service fee” each time you add money to the acct. Unless you live in the same area code as LTCW, a 15 minute call will cost OVER $5.

SENDING MONEY FOR INMATES- There is no JPay. You need to send a money order (postal or MoneyGram) to the Sheriffs P.O. box ( NOT to the facility address where you write the inmate). The M.O order can be rejected for any reason (or no reason at all given) so it is best to call and get very specific details about the "hows and wheres" of mailing them. Unfortunately, you will get 4 different answers from 4 different employees there so make sure you talk to someone who works in the mailroom or you may be given incorrect information.

LIBRARY – There is a small library, comprised of books that have been donated. Inmates may check out 2 books at a time and can go to the library about twice a week. There is not a great selection of books but they welcome donations, so if your LO is there, you can donate used books (paperback or hardcover) to the library for them to have access to.

That’s about all I can think of at the moment. I will add on if needed. Or if you have a question, you can ask and I will see if I can answer.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:50 AM

In the post above, I reported that 2011 was the date that LTCW was created. I got that information from a newspaper article about the state and DOC turning over prisons to private or parish entities but a different newspaper article states that it was in 2009. So I would imagine that the 2009 date would actually be correct.

The Vicksburg Post reported in July of 2009 that LTCW was now being turned over to the Madison Parish Sheriff would take over and that the
facility would house the state’s first re-entry program for women offenders. The article also said that LTCW would offer GEDs, skills training and job application resources for women prisoners within one year of their release and that the prison could house 550 women.
Old 11-17-2013, 04:06 PM
o.O

My fiance has been in LTCW since 2010 so here are some of the experiences while she has been there for 3 years.

Visitation are on Saturday and Sunday, between the times of 8am to 4pm, unless they say otherwise because of holidays (I've done been there for visit on a Friday and Saturday two years ago because of Christmas being on Sunday). They do not let anybody in after 2pm so you must be there before that time. The 4pm time is when the last visitors are to leave. Visits are two hours, but they can shorten it based on how busy it is. They can also request extended visits if it is a close relative that lives far away and can't visit often. The only things you are allowed with you are keys, ID and change for the machines. If you have paper money, they will either let you bring it back to your car or they will hold it for you.

If you are visiting your wife/girlfriend/fiance, you have to sit across the table from each other. They allow you to hold hands, but you can't cross legs are feet with each other. You can hug/kiss when first coming in and when you are leaving, but the kiss can not be, as they say, swapping spit with each other.

You are correct about the vending machines taking only change, and it does give change back. I've never in my past three years see it not give me change. Inmates are allowed to take two drinks back to their dorm with them each day. They only allowed two per day. I went one day and bought her drinks, and later that day, her mom went and tried, but that wasn't allowed. Drinks are 20 oz bottles that are $1.50 so I make sure I bring enough change to buy those two drinks for her to take back, along with snacks that we eat while there.

Dress code for the inmates has changed over the years. When she first got there, they were allowed to wear street clothes all the time. Workers had to wear uniforms. Just within the past few months, they now made it to where the inmates has to wear yellow pants outside of the dorms, or they can wear the yellow or gray sweat pants inside the dorms.

I have sent enough packages from Amazon, including individual sellers, with no problems. They are allowed to receive any type of books, including puzzle books and music CD's. Yes, that's right, I have sent her several CD's through individual sellers from Amazon. They are not allowed to purchase CD players, but they can keep them if inmates came in with it from another facility. Just make sure any books you send are not spiral bound. Her sister sent her a 300 page Sudoku book and they told her either they have to remove the spiral and give her the pages, or send it back to Amazon.

Walkenhorst has been a working progress. They are slowly expanding what can be ordered. The best way I do it is let her write me a letter with a list of what she wants, and the item numbers. Easily done that way so I don't have to worry about what I can and can't send. I then call them and place the order with the CSR. Well, they recently added LTCW to do online ordering, so I will give that a chance next time I get a list.

As for as mail goes. I have sent her letters with drawings on it, random doodles and she has received it every time. I've even sent her over 100 pictures from when I took her son on vacation with me, and she has received every single one of them. And from what I received from her? I've done received some awesome artwork that she sent me that was drawn from other inmates. She's not an artist so I know they are coming from other inmates. Someone even drew a portrait of her using a basic pencils. I even sent her a picture of her son that she had someone draw a portrait of him as well. She even had a t-shirt made from someone that used markers and they made it look like it was airbrushed. It was completely awesome and everyone was amazed by how it looked. So I think it is safe to say that they are allowed to draw. That being said, they can order stationery. I've done received greeting cards, holiday cards and birthday cards that she ordered from store. She even sent me a birthday card that someone else drew for her, and drew all over the envelope.

Phone calls are no longer with CSA. They have switched over to "Correct Solutions Group" in early 2013. Prices are a little cheaper. If you have a local number with a 318 area code, 15 minute calls are under $3. If you have a land line, they can call you collect without setting up an account. They do have a service fee of about $8 when you call them to add money to your account, but you can also send a postal money order and there is no fee. They are located in Louisiana, so they receive the money order in a day or two and they are quick to adding the balance to your account.

Money orders to put on their books are to be postal only. nothing else. It must have their full name, inmate number and date of birth. The money order must be made out to Madison Parish Corrections. The address it is sent to is
P.O. Box 1650
Tallulah, LA 71282

That's pretty much it. Same hocus pocus as usuall... if any questions ask and I'll pop in and give my two cents lol

Last edited by ChrisPp; 11-17-2013 at 04:13 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChrisPp For This Useful Post:
GingerKittieKat (02-06-2014), LifeTraveler (11-17-2013)
Old 01-01-2014, 06:17 PM
o.O

As of today, they are no longer called Louisiana Transitional Center for Women.

They are now Madison Parish Corrections Facility.

They were bought out by a new company a month or so ago and today was their first day to run the show. Not much is known of what is going to happen, but they already have one captain demoted and about 26 guards that were let go.

Rumor has it that they plan on opening up other buildings on the property to have more beds for more inmates, bringing in a kiosk and start allowing JPay, maybe changes to visitation (which if they do I hope it won't be shortening the time.)

Supposedly the men facility was sold as well, but I don't know for sure to confirm that.

As changes are made, I will be back to note what was done. If enough changes are made, I'll create a new thread.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisPp For This Useful Post:
LifeTraveler (02-12-2014)
Old 02-11-2014, 09:27 PM

The inmates are now being told that Walkenhorst will NOT be allowed for orders anymore. If your order gets there before March 1st 2014 then you can have it. If it gets there after March 1 then it will be sent back. LTCW is looking to enrich their profits by making inmates buy everything that they need thru the commissary that they run.

Fortunately for me and my loved one, she will be out of there in 2 months at the latest. Good riddance. I understand that prison is not supposed to be a luxury resort but the food and the treatment at this place is pretty disgusting.

In an effort to ensure the maximum profit, they serve really crappy food, soy, meat is rare and is usually mystery meat and fresh vegetables are nonexistent. The CO's are often ignorant people who are on a power trip and mad because they don't get paid much. Sad but true. When you are running a prison to make a profit, everything is usually of exceedingly poor quality.
ChrisPp (02-15-2014), LifeTraveler (02-12-2014)
Old 02-15-2014, 09:04 AM
o.O

It's sad, but it's true. I already had plans to buy my girl some new shoes when I got my tax money. Good thing is the day she called me and told me about it was the day the money deposited into my account. When I called to make an order, the guy told me that they have a lot of people calling in and stocking up on everything they could afford to send out to them.

Apparently they must have decided to add cheap (overpriced) shoes to their commissary, because they didn't offer it at all before and that was the main reason why they started using Walkenhorst.

But good for your LO getting out soon, mine still has a year then should be eligible for work release.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:40 AM

My sis had her parole hearing and is on her way out of that miserable place!! She gets out in about 2 weeks and coming home to me. The parole board said that they rarely see someone with such a complete family support system in place.

She will live on our property, in our guesthouse, we have a car for her to use, insurance paid, and work on our property with us. We have almost 100 acres of land with horses, cows, calves and foals to raise, pecan trees to harvest from, a garden to plant alligators to hunt, hay to bale, plus I work from home as a writer too. We will also be starting a few businesses of our own that we have always wanted to do.

So i have one final visit to LTCW and that is to pick up my girl and I personally will be skipping and dancing my way back to my car as we say goodbye to that awful place forever.

Oh, and they did a financial audit and they spend about $1.40 per DAY per inmate to feed the girls there and they feel that is too much so the food is about to get even worse!