Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Employment w/a Criminal Record
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Employment w/a Criminal Record Finding post-incarceration employment can be an almost monumental task. Find tips, job offers and stories from those of us that have experienced it first hand.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:14 PM

Default Does Home Depot hire Felons?

I have an interview with them next Tuesday at 2pm so was just wondering if anyone has managed to get on with them even though they have a record.

Last edited by desertflower; 07-23-2013 at 02:15 PM.. Reason: I meant does not doe...lol
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2013, 08:20 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD
Donation Award 

Thanked 32,109 Times in 16,029 Posts

I will hope they will, and have heard they do hire felons.
Let us know ok?

fingers crossed for you desertflower.

That's my dog's nose art

Old 07-24-2013, 08:41 AM
Account Closed

Thanked 6,456 Times in 3,301 Posts

In some parts of VA, no they don't. I know upstate they did a employment search, everyone in the hwh where my LO was at applied. Not one was called back.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:38 PM

UPDATE: I had my interview today and the lady liked my answers and said she would recommend me for a 2nd interview with the guy. She did say that they weren't hiring right now but were gearing up for their busy season in about 30 days. While I was waiting for the interview this older guy that works there looked at me and said "Another newbie"? I said maybe. He then said if you have made it this far then you should be good as long as you pass the drug test which I told him that would not be an issue for me. He told me most people don't pass it. I'm going to remain cautiously hopeful but continue to keep looking. Nothing yet has been brought up about my felonies so we will see.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:36 AM
You + Me = ALWAYS

I have a friend who applied, was honest about his criminal past, made it through two interviews, passed the drug test, and was scheduled for orientation. The DAY BEFORE he was to go in, he was called and told he would not be hired. Not once during ANY of this did any one mention his background being a problem (he had one felony of a bad check). I do hope it turns out differently for you, but I would be cautious until you actually start work. FYI- this was in Georgia.

Last edited by s&talways; 07-31-2013 at 11:37 AM..
Old 07-31-2013, 02:44 PM

I have heard of stories of people being honest about their background and an offer getting recanted. I had a friend who is an SO who was honest about her convictions and Papa John's hired her anyway but later turned around and fired her for the same reason. So you can even be fired for being honest about your past. It's hard to get excited about interviews anymore because you never what the outcome will be. If they don't ask me in an interview I don't bring it up. Don't get me wrong I'm glad I get interviews because I know so many others don't. I just do my best to sell myself the best I can. I just don't want to be offered a job and then get it recanted or worse be working and get fired and have to start all over again.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:30 AM

If you get hired and then fired after stating the truth, There should be something you could.

You have illegals working in this country and we don't have a clue about their background.

I say discrimination. File a complaint against the company.

I am waiting on my day against the Fed gov. for the very same reason
Old 08-01-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s&talways View Post
I have a friend who applied, was honest about his criminal past, made it through two interviews, passed the drug test, and was scheduled for orientation. The DAY BEFORE he was to go in, he was called and told he would not be hired. Not once during ANY of this did any one mention his background being a problem (he had one felony of a bad check). I do hope it turns out differently for you, but I would be cautious until you actually start work. FYI- this was in Georgia.

This is exactly what happened to me with H.D. & Lowe's I went through the whole process, was open and honest, passed drug tests, went to multiple interviews, was told I had a position, then when they received the background check back on paper it was like I never existed.