Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida Legal Information
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Florida Legal Information Topics, Discussions and Information relating to Legal Information specific to Florida. This information is *NOT PROFESSIONAL* and should always be fact-checked!

Old 06-15-2013, 04:07 PM

Default Visits suspended question.

My son was charged a DR for having money in his waist band. I wont bother with details. (yet)

I went up to see him today and was told my visits were suspended. I was shocked, no one had told me nor had anyone told my son.

As of now, I am the only one not allowed to visit, others can. I understand they can not single me out. He got a 15 day confinement for introduction or the other one, I forget. its 3.8 if that tells you any thing.

My son talked to the Captain who was at the DR hearing and he said he did not know anything about me not being allowed to visit. Of coarse this is the weekend and nothing moves.

I tryed to read the title 33 and cant make heads or tales of what it is saying, so for right now.....Can I be singled out not to visit my son? He has been down for 12 yrs and 8 more to go. I have never caused any problems or been under suspicion of anything. I have always got along well in Visit. We sit just 2 tables down from where the officers sit, its not like we take a far in the back table. As Im sure you know I am really upset. I have sent 2 emails, and talked at length with the classification officer on the phone 3 times, trying to understand how all this happened. Not once did he say anything about my visits being suspended. They have my email, phone number with call waiting, address. it would not have been hard to get ahold of me. The Captain also could not find out how long this suspension is. This whole issue sounds hinky to me. I plan to wait till prob tues or wed and make sure they have their act together and my son and I have our acts together then demand (ha) to see the video that shows there was money in his waist band. One time I was told the video was viewed the next phone call I was told it was not viewed. I want to see this video frame by frame. Im 70 yr old widow and really dont need this kind of stress/ Thanks for listening and what do you think I or my son should do.?

Last edited by lin787; 06-15-2013 at 04:10 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2013, 08:54 PM
Waiting for Mike

Thanked 1,270 Times in 967 Posts

They certainly can single you out for suspended visits IF they can try to claim that you are the source of his smuggled funds. If you are his only recent visitor, that would make you basically the only suspect to have brought him the money. (Remember, contraband like that is ALWAYS said to have been smuggled from outside so they don't have to officially acknowledge that contraband is always circulating on their compound.)

The Following User Says Thank You to NAN425 For This Useful Post:
lin787 (06-16-2013)
Old 06-15-2013, 09:03 PM

i dont know how much luck you will have with seeing the video but agree they have probably single you out in the putting you as the source that gave the money. i would write the classifacation officer a email monday and ask for a explanation.
lin787 (06-21-2013)
Old 06-16-2013, 06:05 AM

Sorry that this is happening. I think there were some recent changes about visiting suspensions but can't quote the chapters and verse. Unfortuneately this seems like the type of problem that you have to crawl your way up the chain of command to get resolved. I would copy the Warden in your e-mails to classification (so that he-she is the loop) for when you start complaining to him. And when you start complaing to the Warden copy whoever would be your next step in complaints (region head).

Good luck, please let us know how you make out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Charlie's Mom For This Useful Post:
lin787 (06-21-2013)
Old 06-16-2013, 10:36 AM

Captain told my son to tell me to write a letter (to who????) and explain why I want my visits back. My handwriting is really bad, I have MS, so I plan to send email, or would a computer typed and printed off letter be better? I already know what I want to say, but lolololol I would never be allowed back in a prison again. So I will write a letter then have my daughter 'the family look for mistakes and improper wording checker' go over it first.

Also found out the first man I talked to was not the classification officer, then the next one was only filling in for the real one.

Thank you all very much, I can now understand why they were looking at me. that really cleared that issue up for me.

Wouldnt you have thought that they would at least know how long I was suspended? Anyone think our prison system needs revamped?

edit: I want to see the video because the officer who does the search on the guys going back has a set routine, one person at a time. This time he told everyone to get undressed and throw everything in a pile. (hummmm)

Last edited by lin787; 06-16-2013 at 10:41 AM..
Old 06-16-2013, 11:33 AM

if you have a computer email them perhaps your email has a spell check program. i am sure you are upset but i would try to basically ask for the details on there end of the situation as you're stating you would like your visits back. if you need any help with the letter pm me with more details and i can draw you up a letter maybe as a guide if that would be helpful. also if you dont know how to get the email address let me know and myself as well as i am sure others on here can tell you how to do that good luck...R
lin787 (06-21-2013)
Old 06-16-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lin787 View Post
Captain told my son to tell me to write a letter (to who????) and explain why I want my visits back. My handwriting is really bad, I have MS, so I plan to send email, or would a computer typed and printed off letter be better? I already know what I want to say, but lolololol I would never be allowed back in a prison again. So I will write a letter then have my daughter 'the family look for mistakes and improper wording checker' go over it first.

Also found out the first man I talked to was not the classification officer, then the next one was only filling in for the real one.

Thank you all very much, I can now understand why they were looking at me. that really cleared that issue up for me.

Wouldnt you have thought that they would at least know how long I was suspended? Anyone think our prison system needs revamped?

edit: I want to see the video because the officer who does the search on the guys going back has a set routine, one person at a time. This time he told everyone to get undressed and throw everything in a pile. (hummmm)

i agree i would want to see the video as well esspecially if the guard didnt do his job properly. i just dont really know how you would go about doing that. i also dont know how tight of a hold they keep on those videos. maybe in your letter ask about that as well. good luck...R
lin787 (06-21-2013)
Old 06-16-2013, 12:06 PM
Waiting for Mike

If you are talking about something that took place in a strip room, THERE WILL BE NO VIDEO as was noted in another thread by Anjewel. It is against the rules for DOC to video in a strip room since they cannot guarantee that video monitors will be in a private area and only monitored by same-sex personnel.

Definitely write a letter on the computer. It always makes a better impression in a situation like this to type instead of handwrite.

The procedure you describe of doing more than one inmate at once and throwing all the clothes in a pile is standard in most of the strip rooms my husband has been in, from what he tells me.

lin787 (06-21-2013)
Old 06-17-2013, 09:08 PM
Sun dried Peach
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,054 Times in 958 Posts

I was moving right along, even with the everyone at once until you said 'put everything in a pile'.

Maybe they told the guys to put everything of theirs in a pile beside them, but I am just about positive they wouldn't make them all throw everything into one pile. It's just too hard to say who has what contraband, should any be found. Case dismissed if that is what happened and he can appeal what ever DR he got if he does it in time.

I'd email until there was no one else to email. I'd start with a paper and pen. Write down every single detail you can remember from the day of until now in order, and call names. You need names for this to fly. I know it doesn't feel right emailing the Warden because, after all, it's his prison, right? Yes, but you would be surprised at the things he knows nothing about and people are too scared to say anything about....so, give him benefit of the doubt first. Give him several days to handle this and get back to you.

Make sure you list only facts and keep it business. I can assure you, at least for the Warden, it's just business. And, follow up. Do not allow them to drop the ball, if so, pick it back up with a very polite nudge, 'just checking on the status of my request, Sir.' Something to that effect.

Lin787, I can promise you there is no video. No matter what they said to try to convince you and get you to shut your mouth, there is no video. Just tell the facts and see what happens.

Let us know and if you get no justification I'll give you a list of the chain of command and you can email until your hearts content. (I know it won't be until he's home, but you know what I mean.)

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - J Krishnamurti
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anjewel For This Useful Post:
LimeTiger (06-21-2013), lin787 (06-21-2013)
Old 06-19-2013, 09:38 AM
Waiting for Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjewel
I was moving right along, even with the everyone at once until you said 'put everything in a pile'.

Maybe they told the guys to put everything of theirs in a pile beside them, but I am just about positive they wouldn't make them all throw everything into one pile. It's just too hard to say who has what contraband, should any be found. Case dismissed if that is what happened and he can appeal what ever DR he got if he does it in time.

I'd email until there was no one else to email. I'd start with a paper and pen. Write down every single detail you can remember from the day of until now in order, and call names. You need names for this to fly. I know it doesn't feel right emailing the Warden because, after all, it's his prison, right? Yes, but you would be surprised at the things he knows nothing about and people are too scared to say anything about....so, give him benefit of the doubt first. Give him several days to handle this and get back to you.

Make sure you list only facts and keep it business. I can assure you, at least for the Warden, it's just business. And, follow up. Do not allow them to drop the ball, if so, pick it back up with a very polite nudge, 'just checking on the status of my request, Sir.' Something to that effect.

Lin787, I can promise you there is no video. No matter what they said to try to convince you and get you to shut your mouth, there is no video. Just tell the facts and see what happens.

Let us know and if you get no justification I'll give you a list of the chain of command and you can email until your hearts content. (I know it won't be until he's home, but you know what I mean.)
Ooh, you think she meant one BIG pile for everyone? Dope, it never occurred to me she meant it that way - i was thinking individual piles. Especially because you're right, that would be really dumb on the officer's part as far as being able to say who contraband might have come from.

lin787 (06-21-2013)
Old 06-21-2013, 03:12 PM

It was all in one pile. I wrote a lengthy email to the Assn Warden as told to do. I got my visits back, but..............my son cant have visitors for 6 months. I originally sent my first email to the Warden who sent it to the Assn Warden who gave it to the Classification officer. I left most of the unimportant stuff out of my msg here. Assn Warden has called in The Inspector Generals office, which could be the one in the prison or the big guy. I will have to wait and see how that comes out. There is a video just inside the door that the inmates come out to visit. It shows somethings, but so far I cant find out. The Captain believes my son and is giving him some advise off the cuff, but theres only so much he can do up against the assn and Warden. My sons grievance has been turned down at "that level" so he has to write another one I think is whats going on. I did tell them that I wanted to see the video and speak to the officer who accused my son since my son was not allowed to speak freely. So far that part of my email has been ignored. Also the part that said the lady in charge of the video refused to look at it. Prisons are prisons and I understand all that, but that does not mean we have to stand by and let our inmates be taken advantage of. This is the seconded time I have had to stand my ground since I have been here in Fl. I dont care if your Obama the first amendment gives me the right to speak. Im hurt and angry, not a good combination. I just want answers. ( on a side note at another prison that I went round and round with the captain, he said I suppose you have a better way" and I said yes sir I do.) they tried it, it worked well then they went right back to doing it their way. The rest of the time my son was there, I was treated like a queen, I know what they were doing, but I was the sweetest lady you ever met to all of them. lol.

thank you all for holding my hand again

Last edited by lin787; 06-21-2013 at 03:15 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to lin787 For This Useful Post:
LimeTiger (06-21-2013)
Old 07-19-2013, 09:53 AM

update . The video shows the bathroom door only, not whats in that bathroom, so thats down the tubes. As it stands the grievance my son filed was denied and he sent the next one to tally, so far no answer. Just so you all will know, or as I was told. My son was given 6 months no visits. I was told if it had been 2 yr then in 1 year could ask for reinstatement. 1 yr then in 6 months could ask. there is nothing for 6 months. So I sit in a city I know no one for 5 more months. Im also not sure that my son told the truth. I have been cleared of any wrong doing, which will prob be good in the future for the next blow up. thanks everyone. have good day

No answer to me seeing video , its just like I never asked :/

Last edited by lin787; 07-19-2013 at 09:55 AM..
Old 07-22-2013, 08:45 AM

My son received his grievance back from Tally as not timely filed, which it was. He is now saying its wrong to have a DR hearing. do 15 days, be out and allowed to visit then told he cant have visits. He is working on this with a law clerk. This law clerk thing is a bit questionable in my opinion. Are there inexpensive lawyers out here in the "free" world that would know this info and know how to go about correcting the bs? My son has not asked me to inquire about an lawyer, but I wonder if a lawyer should read over the letter that the law clerk is preparing for my son to send?
Old 07-25-2013, 08:56 PM
Sun dried Peach
Donation Award 

Law clerks are actually your best bet

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - J Krishnamurti
The Following User Says Thank You to Anjewel For This Useful Post:
lin787 (07-29-2013)
Old 07-26-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lin787 View Post
My son received his grievance back from Tally as not timely filed, which it was. He is now saying its wrong to have a DR hearing. do 15 days, be out and allowed to visit then told he cant have visits. He is working on this with a law clerk. This law clerk thing is a bit questionable in my opinion. Are there inexpensive lawyers out here in the "free" world that would know this info and know how to go about correcting the bs? My son has not asked me to inquire about an lawyer, but I wonder if a lawyer should read over the letter that the law clerk is preparing for my son to send?
You will be hard pressed to find a lawyer who is willing to take the time to look over a grievance for an inside charge that adds no time to an inmates sentence. On top of that a law clerk on the inside has seen hundreds more grievances filed within the system than any lawyer on the outside. Your son has most likely talked to an inmate "lawyer" who often know more than anyone on the outside.

You mentioned a post ago that you are not certain your son told the truth. It is possible during further investigations the issue of your sons truthfulness or additional information may come to light allowing an increase in suspension time. As difficult as it is not to see your son for a few more months, perhaps its better to let this situation rest and resume your visits as soon as his suspension is lifted.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:25 PM
Sun dried Peach
Donation Award 

Additional time from an appeal?

I will admit that things like that could only happen in FDOC, but in 23 years and more DRs than I can count, and Marty appeals 90%, I have never seen it.

Now, sometimes he serves box time and on the release meeting with the ICT they take his visits from the day he seen them instead if when his box time started.

I'm not saying it does not happen, I just never seen it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Anjewel For This Useful Post:
lin787 (07-29-2013)
Old 07-28-2013, 05:07 PM

have you actually seen a copy of his DR? (i am not sure if or how you go about getting that my husband usually copies the DR word for word and mails it to me.) i am just thinking maybe you should look at the exact charge and then compare it to the Florida Administration Code (FAC) on visit suspensions. just make sure the charge lines up under that FAC. some of the law clerks were actually lawyers or paralegals before they went in the correctional house. from my husbands personal experience with them they are good; they know the inmates rights, the procedures and also they know what the DOC looks for in the grievances. from your end i would start writing emails straight up the chain. we had a visit suspension issue where my husbands visits were suspended indefinitely and i wrote them a zillion emails and got it reduced to a years time but it would be the full year we couldn't apply back in 6 months. i knew they never should have suspended them in the first place so that wasn't good enough and i continued to write and even wrote outside the DOC to Warren Davis at the Governors office, the Attorney General office, my State Representative office, etc. about 5 months had passed and i get a email from the Warden saying there were going to reinstate my husbands visits. so while they are working on the grievance i would start emailing but before i do i would make sure you have all the exact facts surrounding the incident. good luck.

lin787 (07-29-2013)
Old 07-29-2013, 03:47 PM

My son has told me to wait until his law clerk is done, then I can start raising all the h....I want to. Im so glad you all are here, I would prob be in jail by now. A lot of inmates seem to learn real quick how to bend a rule, bend the truth, so I wait....tick....tick...tick..