Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > TDCJ - What You Need to Know > Texas Prison Mail Issues - General Q&A
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Texas Prison Mail Issues - General Q&A Use this forum to discuss Texas prison mail issues & topics. If you have a question about or want to discuss these issues in a specific facility, please visit that facility's subforum in the Texas forum.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:37 AM

Default Can an ex-employee write an inmate if they're in a relationship?

I resigned from being a CO two weeks ago because they had caught us mailing eachother once he got transfered to another unit. Would I get in trouble if we continue this? We are in a relationship.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2013, 10:59 AM

Am yeah is he an inmate if yes then oh ya you will, BUT NOW THAT YOU NO LONGER WORK FOR THEM I THINK YOU CAN WRITE BUT PROBLY NEVER VISIT

Last edited by cottage style; 06-02-2013 at 11:00 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to cottage style For This Useful Post:
De'BlankE1 (06-02-2013)
Old 06-02-2013, 11:17 AM

Oh ok thanks! justs wanted to make sure that i wont get in trouble
Old 06-02-2013, 11:43 AM
Crazy Cajun Super Moderator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member PTO Super Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 12,775 Times in 5,300 Posts

I'm sorry, Hon, but this isn't an emergency issue. I moved your thread to a place where you'll get more answers where members are more familiar with this issue.

You COULD get in trouble for continuing to write him since they already discovered the two of you mailing. I'd watch my step with this if I were you.

Introducing PTO Quarterly -Fall 2014 Issue Read All About it Right Here!!

Old 06-02-2013, 12:04 PM

OH :O thanks! But is there a way that I can actually write him?
Old 06-02-2013, 05:23 PM

Default MWI Ex employee

We meet while I was working at the prison he was at. When I started he was in Seg but he got moved back to GP after two weeks and after that he got into trouble intentionally just to be put back in seg where I was working. He was always trying to talk to me and all that good stuff and I didnt pay attention at first but at the end I dont even know how we started to talk the way we did. We ended up in a relatioship on the Dlow. He was transferred to another unit since he was one of those that the unit couldn't handle anymore, he wasnt a trouble maker or anything it was just his reputation of being a bad guy. Which he isnt. But anyways they caught us mailing each other at the other unit and the brought it up to my attention so I decided to quit and I did. And now I dont know If i can write him since I dont work for them anymore. ??
Old 06-02-2013, 07:41 PM
TDCJ hand

Thanked 1,223 Times in 642 Posts

As stated above, you can write, but you won't be able to visit for at least 2 yrs. They probably also placed a no-rehire condition/resigned in lieu of disc. in your file.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:36 PM

Thanked 4,375 Times in 2,612 Posts

Another issue to consider is that, if disciplinary was not yet run against HIM, then your continuation to write will likely serve as an impetus to move forward with dusting him for a year and a class (if not more). Expect everything to be scrutinized much as would anything to/from someone on an STG/identified clique watchlist.
The Following User Says Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
Virgofemme73 (05-30-2014)
Old 06-03-2013, 03:50 PM
Beancounter

I found this in the Offender's Handbook. It might be of some use to you. Good luck.

6.7 Current/Former TDCJ Employees:
For purposes of the TDCJ Visitation Plan, "employee" (current or former) shall mean anyone employed (currently or previously) by the TDCJ, or anyone currently or previously employed by an agent of TDCJ (private prison vendor, Windham School District, UTMB, Texas Tech or other similar entity).
6.7.1 Eligibility Criteria for Visitation
Current/former employees are not allowed to be placed on an offender’s visiting list unless:
a The relationship was established prior to the offender’s incarceration; and
b While employed with the TDCJ, the current/former employee reported the relationship to Agency officials in accordance with PD-21, "Employee General Rules of Conduct"; and
c The current/former employee is a spouse, child, sister/brother, aunt/uncle, step-parent, step-child, sister-in-law/brother-in-law, mother/father, mother-in-law/father-in-law, daughter-in-law/son-in-law, adopted child or parent, or grandmother/grandfather of the offender.
6.7.2 If a former employee does not meet all of the above three (3) criteria, the former employee shall not be allowed to visit for 24 months after the employee’s date of separation from employment with the Agency. After expiration of the 24-month period, the former employee may be reviewed for visitation privileges by the Director’s Review Committee. The offender must submit an RO-1 and RO-2 form to request that the former employee be added. Documented security concerns (i.e., the former employee delivered or attempted to deliver contraband to the offender while still an employee or had sexual contact with the offender while employed) may cause disapproval of the request. If the former employee is approved, the visitor may be added to the list immediately, even if the offender is not eligible for a list change.

6.7.3 General Guidelines
a. Former employees may correspond with offenders in accordance with the TDCJ Correspondence Rules. Only current employees who are approved on the offender’s visitation list are authorized to send personal correspondence to the offender.
b. Former employees are not precluded from participation in an Agency-approved volunteer program. However, former employees shall not be allowed to participate in an Agency-approved volunteer program at any unit where an offender is housed when a relationship exists between the offender and the former employee.
c. Any consideration for an exception to the above must be submitted through the Warden to the appropriate Division Director or designee for approval

Here is a link to the TDCJ Correspondence Rules. It's a real snooze fest. LOL.

http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/documents/policy/BP0391.pdf

Last edited by Beancounter; 06-03-2013 at 04:46 PM.. Reason: Additional Information
Old 06-05-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDCJ hand View Post
As stated above, you can write, but you won't be able to visit for at least 2 yrs. They probably also placed a no-rehire condition/resigned in lieu of disc. in your file.
He gets out in the mids of this year, and they have not writen anything up as of yet but they do treat him like crap at the other unit he is in.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:31 PM

I went thru this. I was writing to my husband under my maiden name when we kind of got caught talking, so I resigned... not in lieu of termination, but just to avoid having to go thru being investigated. I knew if they investigated, they would find out anyway so I went ahead and resigned that night. Anyway, he was put in seg and was written up for establishing a relationship with me. Soon after, I went ahead and started writing under my current name since everyone knew anyway. A couple of weeks after that, his disciplinary case was reversed on a technicality. We got married, and he was moved to another unit shortly after. At the next unit, he was able to add me to his visitation list for phone calls, but I didn't visit because he was across the state and was coming home soon anyway. Now, he is back in and we did have to fill out the form to report our relationship since I am a former TDC employee, but because the 2 years has passed since I was an employee, we have had no issues. I visit and we talk regularly.

In short, they really can't keep you from writing to him. I don't see the new unit really giving a toot what he does with you, to be honest. Once he switches units, what's left behind doesn't matter.

I also knew of an inmate who actually impregnated a female officer at a previous unit before he was moved to the unit where I worked. We (the officers) knew, but didn't treat him bad or anything, and she did write to him and they talked on the phone.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:09 PM

I just wanna add... You, personally, can't get in trouble for the act of writing. Writing to him was never illegal, just against policy. If you had any sexual contact or ever brought him contraband, however, and you refer to it in your letters, that may potentially cause problems for you because those are both felonies.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:39 AM

Unhappy They took away all of our contact

I was working on a unit and started writing my guy. They found out and charged him with establishing a relationship and I was let go. While he was still at that unit they told him to go ahead and keep writing because she doesn't work here anymore. Then they moved him to another unit and we kept writing, he went and added me to his visitation so I could see him and we could talk. Crazy enough they approved us. So it went on that way for about 4 months. Then he asked for a special contact visit which was approved then another Warden for some reason pulled my guy's file and cut us off completely. No writing, no phone calls and NO visitation. The major I talked to called me all sorts of names, it was very ugly. We plan on being married in the next month or so.....will that help any? By the time we're up for appeal I'll have not been an employee for over a year. It's killing both of us not being able to talk but only through a lawyer.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:47 PM
PTO Staff on LOA

PTO Super Moderator Superstar of the Year 

Thanked 4,927 Times in 3,178 Posts

I'm sorry this is happening to/for you. I don't know the answer. But if you're going to get married by proxy in TDCJ, you're going to have to do it quickly. They won't allow proxy marriages after Aug. 31, 2013. See this thread: Texas no longer allowing proxy marriage for inmates starting Sept 2013 Good luck!
Old 08-20-2013, 04:34 PM

Default Hb 869

Ok, from what I've read straight from the bill is that it says that both parties cannot be absent. A lot of people are confused by this but they removed anything from the bill where both parties cannot be present, at least one has to be. Still waiting to hear from the lawyer but I called a few counties and some are still allowing the Inmate Proxy marriages and some aren't. It's a matter of finding one. So guys don't give up. I won't not for a second because to be in this situation you HAVE to keep going, don't let them break you down. So for me it's a matter of getting the Affidavit signed and notarized. And yes Stiles Unit has no idea about this bill preventing marriages.
The Following User Says Thank You to FormerUTMB For This Useful Post:
Renee (08-20-2013)
Old 05-30-2014, 06:45 PM

You can get married in Colorado by proxy though. Anyways, about the corresponding, we were busted, he was shipped, I quit, we got married, we wrote letters and we talked on the phone. Nine freaking months later, he gets a letter returned to him telling him that he is not allowed to write me. I called up there today and they told me that I was that officer using another name. I explained that I am that officer and I use my husband's name because he is my husband. They told me that I cannot write him anymore because I am on his negative mailing list for being a security threat and I have to contact Huntsville to get removed. What kind of crap is this? We can talk on the phone but we can't mail? He was even told by that unit that they would allow us to correspond but I could not visit for 2 years. Huntsville says no though. I am so mad over this. We try to not hide and have everything out in the open and yet they do whatever they want.

Last edited by I<3Mercy; 05-30-2014 at 06:46 PM..