Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Department of Criminal Justice (TDCJ) Unit Specific Forums > Halbert Prison Unit - Texas
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-05-2004, 06:51 PM

Default Halbert Unit-Burnet,Texas Prison

Does any body know this Unit and how it works.I think my daughter will be going there in a month or so. Is it a nine month program?
And do all that go thru this program have to go to a halfway House? Anything at all will help!! She got a FI-9R. Thank you for any information!
Old 06-05-2004, 10:19 PM

Thumbs up Granddaughter in Halbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by milton
Does any body know this Unit and how it works.I think my daughter will be going there in a month or so. Is it a nine month program?
And do all that go thru this program have to go to a halfway House? Anything at all will help!! She got a FI-9R. Thank you for any information!
My granddaughter is in Halbert has been there nearly 5 months. She got 6 months there and then the TTC (1/2 way) house for 3 months. It can be longer if they mess up. Most get out in 6 months but some stay as long as 12 months. The town is pretty and there is a lake close to town for camping and fishing; right now the name is not coming to mind.
The ladies have to get up at 4:00 ---they have jobs to-- do my granddaughter works in the kitchen. They have group counseling and individual counseling. They have R&R where they can play sports-read etc. They can watch TV a short period each day. They are in a long unit --There are around 60 to a unit. The unit is about 5 miles out of town. They take classes--some they get to chose such as parenting and others are required. They wear white uniforms and they furnish them boots to wear. They can buy tennie shoes but most don't. The only time my granddaughter has really complained is when their unit goes on shut-down. that is where they lose their privaleges such as R&R-going to the store etc. If one person in the unit messes up the whole unit goes on shut-down. They have never cancelled any visiting time.
You can send books that you order on line from Amazon.com or a book store like Hastings but you can not mail books yourself. The book store has to mail them. She will need some money on her books.She gets to transfer what she has left from jail then You get her to mail you a money voucher and you mail the money to Huntsville--directions are on the voulcher. There is a waiting period before they get to go to the store to buy their personal supplies and they can buy candy soups etc there. I think they get to go to the store (it is called the commonsary sp but I call it the store) every 2 weeks unless they or on shut-down. Our granddaughter went from jail to Gatesville for a few days then on to Halbert. We got a little nervous before we got our first letter from her. They came and got her from jail about 4 in the morning and we didn't know the exact day. She said it scared her to death when she first got to Halbert--all the wire around the SAFP UNIT--the guard stripping her and getting her settled in but then she adjusted.
We have been for one visit and it went pretty smooth except we took her 2 small girls and they really don't have anything for kids to do. You are assigned a table with 4 chairs and you stay at that table except to get up and go to the vending machines for snacks. You can carry in $20.00 in change--no dollar bills-your drivers license and car keys. If there are small babies you can take a sippy cup 3 diapers and a few wipes placed in a clear bag. We put everything in a zip lock bag. You leave everything else in your vehicle. They search your vehicle and you have to empty your pockets and they run a wand over you. They were very nice to us. The inmate cannot leave the table during the visit .
I think all this is helping our granddaughter--she was to the point of no return as far as drugs and life style were concern--now I have some hope she will come out and do good. I have custody of her 2 girls ages 19 months and 5 years old. I have had the 5 year old 3 years and the 19 month old sense she was 4 days old.
Halbert is hard but I think fair
Hope this helps
Old 06-05-2004, 10:58 PM

Default Thank you very much Proud Granny!

I really do appreciate your reply. I am not sure that is where she will go. She is in Gatesville. She is a trusty there. Has been since she got there 3 yrs ago. She is doing 5yrs. They gave her a parole FI-9R. to begin is august and release date in May of 05. She is scared to death about going there. Where she is at is not anything like the Halbert Unit. She has a lot of freedom. She is working in the warehouse outside the fence. To put her behind the wires now seems like a low blow. Any way I do appreciate the Info. Does everybody that leaves Halbert have to go to a halfway house? She has a place to go. Her own home and a husband waiting for her.
Old 06-06-2004, 10:05 PM

Smile Half-Way House

Quote:
Originally Posted by milton
I really do appreciate your reply. I am not sure that is where she will go. She is in Gatesville. She is a trusty there. Has been since she got there 3 yrs ago. She is doing 5yrs. They gave her a parole FI-9R. to begin is august and release date in May of 05. She is scared to death about going there. Where she is at is not anything like the Halbert Unit. She has a lot of freedom. She is working in the warehouse outside the fence. To put her behind the wires now seems like a low blow. Any way I do appreciate the Info. Does everybody that leaves Halbert have to go to a halfway house? She has a place to go. Her own home and a husband waiting for her.
The ones my granddaughter has mention will go to a half-way (TTC) house. I really don't know if eveyone goes or not but I really think that is the case. I donot know of another SAFP UNIT for women in Texas any more except Halbert. We were first told my granddaughter would go to Brownfield ; when she first went to jail but was later told they were closing it for women.
Halbert is a 9 or 10 hour drive from my granddaughters home. I live closer .
I donot know what a F1-9R is. My granddaughter has not served any prison time except the SAFP.
What is your daughter in for beside drug abuse? How is the visiting in Gatesville? Have you got to go see her very often? Does she have any children?
Old 06-07-2004, 06:22 AM

I was at SAFP in Gatesville, and everyone was required to do the halfway house thing for 3 months, no exceptions. Halfway houses will sometimes give weekend passes though.

KWolf
Old 06-07-2004, 09:56 AM

Default Thank you proud grannie & Kwolf 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwolf150
I was at SAFP in Gatesville, and everyone was required to do the halfway house thing for 3 months, no exceptions. Halfway houses will sometimes give weekend passes though.

KWolf
I thank you for the input:

Who I would like to hear from is someone who had a loved one from one of the prisons who knew someone who got a FI-9R. And if they had to do nine months in a SAFP, And if they then had to go to a halfway house? Or if they only did six months in SAFP and three months in the halfway house? As her release date is in May, Would that mean she would have to stay in SAFP until May on be released to a hafway house in March? Yes grannie, I have visited her in Gatesville a bunch of times. Her husband goes up there every other week end, Yes she has three children. They are with their dad.
Also what I would like to know. AS she is a trusty now. Would she keep that status there? And do they have trustys there? She has been a trusty for 3 years. no marks on her record. With her flat time, work time, good time, she has about seven years on that 5 years.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:19 AM

Milton
What is an F1-9R
I will write my granddaughter and ask about being a trusty? She is not one and has not mentioned anyone there being a trusty. My grandson on the other hand is in Sayle Unit in Breckenridge-also a SAFP UNIT and they had a work program where some could go into town and work to go off their community service time.Only a very few got to do this. Instead of the work program he chose to do a course called CHANGES that will take time off his community service as well as his probation time that he was on before he went in. Is this kind of the way a trusty deal works? He is also over his unit and gets to tell them what to do etc. He also got 6 months there plus the 3 months TTC (half-way) house. Some that are there messed up after they were there and will get extra time . If anyone else has a loved one in either Halbert or Sayles Unit I would love for them to post here with info they have.

Proud grannie
Old 06-08-2004, 04:59 PM

[quote=proud grannie]Milton
What is an F1-9R
]
proud grannie:
Let me see if I can explain what FI-9R is. She came up for parole the first of June. They gave her what is called FI-9R. It is a vote they can give to make her go into a rehabilition program before she can come home.They said it should start in August and end in May,next year. And if she completes the program she will be put on parole in May. Probley with a year after care. As her sentence is 5 yrs, She will only be on parole for 1 yr,as by then she will have done 4 flat. Now about the trusty business. After I wrote in the previous post. I called Huntsville and got a number for the Programs Division.Talked to nice lady there. she said she would keep her trusty status but,would not be a trusty in Halbert as she will be just like everyone else there in the program. She also told me she would not go to Halbert until 6 Mo. before May 05,which will probley be in December this year. As that program had been cut to 6 mo. The May date is the important date. That is set in stone. They will not let her out until then. In other words, They did not give her a break at all. She also said she would not go to a halfway house. But I am not sure of that. The lady did not sound sure of that. I will find out more later. Hope I answered some of your questions. Your granddaughter should be leaving there soon
Old 06-08-2004, 10:02 PM

Milton;
My granddaughter is suppost to leave the end of July and go to the TTC (half-way) house for the 3 months. She has gotten in trouble 3 times for lack of respect to the guards etc. She said they could make her stay longer if she messed up again. I am just going by what she said.
Yes you answered my questions about the F1-9R Thanks
Proud Grannie
Old 06-09-2004, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proud grannie
Milton;
(half-way) house for the 3 months. She has gotten in trouble 3 times for lack of respect to the guards etc. She said they could make her stay longer if she messed up again. I am just going by what she said.
Yes you answered my questions about the F1-9R Thanks
Proud Grannie
I want to thank you proud grannie. You have answered some of my questions. I would still like to hear from someone who left one of the Units and went to SAFP. I did call Huntsville back and she said again she would not have to go to a halfway house. That she would be paroled straight out of Halbert.
I do hope your granddaughter gets out on time and does not have to stay any longer than the 6 months!! Good luck to her and you and your great -great grandchildren.