Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Michigan General Prison Talk General Topics & Discussions dealing with Michigan's Department of Corrections, Probation, laws & legal, etc. If it doesn't fit into any other Michigan topic, post it here!

Old 04-13-2013, 07:57 PM

Default Michigan aftercare programs??

My brother is in prison and he told me something about me getting in touch with After Care programs, they are for parolees. Does anyone have any info on these programs?? Thank you
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2013, 05:43 PM

I wish I did! My son is going to parole the first of July, and I'm starting to look for some kind of help for him. So far I haven't found much of anything.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:29 PM

My son just got out on Wednesday and there are no aftercare programs! He's just wandering aimlessly for the moment (he has a house to live in and I help him as much as I can). He did get approved for the Bridge Card, so at least that's a monkey off my back. He really needs therapy or something to readjust (but alas, no health insurance). He can't stand being alone...so constantly has people over (he's on tether). I just am really worried for him...

I did find this website, although it doesn't have much on there for the parolees. Looks to be more for families, although there are a few resources for parolees: http://julieslist.homestead.com/ParoleePrograms.html

Last edited by pookiedoo2; 05-12-2013 at 10:34 PM..
Old 05-13-2013, 09:04 PM

They need some type of aftercare programs and health care too. This is a big adjustment. They open the gate and say goodby & that's it. They do need a job too. I have no idea where my son will find a job with his record. He is worried about that.
The money the saved by giving them stingy meals should go to parolees so they can have a chance in the outside world.
I'm thinking about you pookie & your son.
The Following User Says Thank You to countryblocks For This Useful Post:
Kelleycat (05-14-2013)
Old 05-14-2013, 05:31 AM

Thanks. I am going to have to pay for his health care insurance out of pocket! He's also wanting to go to school for a trade so that will help (he's already applied for financial aid). He's just lonely, most of the time...so he needs something to occupy himself. We're taking it one day at a time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryblocks View Post
They need some type of aftercare programs and health care too. This is a big adjustment. They open the gate and say goodby & that's it. They do need a job too. I have no idea where my son will find a job with his record. He is worried about that.
The money the saved by giving them stingy meals should go to parolees so they can have a chance in the outside world.
I'm thinking about you pookie & your son.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:25 AM

Pookie - I don't know where you are, but Easter Seals has programs and counseling available. There is also another outfit which I cannot think of the name of right now. However, check this out. Also, I don't know if he has any drug or alcohol addictions, but AA and NA meetings will help give him social contacts and a grounding even if he doesn't.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:09 PM

Thanks. I'll look into Easter Seals (although I don't think they are in this area...haven't heard anything about them). He's already got the NA thing going, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmpdbd View Post
Pookie - I don't know where you are, but Easter Seals has programs and counseling available. There is also another outfit which I cannot think of the name of right now. However, check this out. Also, I don't know if he has any drug or alcohol addictions, but AA and NA meetings will help give him social contacts and a grounding even if he doesn't.