Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ILLINOIS > Illinois Prisons & Jails > Big Muddy River Correctional Center - Illinois
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Big Muddy River Correctional Center - Illinois Topics and discussion specific to Big Muddy River Correctional Center in Ina, Illinois.

Old 06-04-2004, 11:57 PM

Default Big Muddy

I was surprised tonight when I looked up my friend on the IDOC web site. He has been at DuQuoin boot camp since Feb. The location said Big muddy River where it said DuQuoin just a few days ago. I feel sooo bad. He would have been out the 3rd, But had gotten a couple more weeks added on. I asume now that something happened and he got sent to Big Muddy to finish his sentence
Can anyone tell me about Big Muddy? What is restricted during phase? What are there cells like and their scedule? I am going to visit as soon as possible. What are visits like? Do they have vending cards? can you sit next to each other? Any info would be great!!!! I like to know everything I can (He isn't very informative in he letters, of which I have only gotten one small one for the past month.) Thanks!!!
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me Phil 4:13
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2004, 06:20 AM

I can only tell you about the calls and the mail. I havent been able to visit.

The mail is very very timely. As I am in Florida I can get a letter within 3 days of him mailing it, so that is very good compared to Danville.

The phone calls are clear and there really isnt that much noise in the background. He seems to like it and is taking full advantage of their schooling. Other than that I really dont much about the place.
Old 06-05-2004, 07:56 AM

Well...... I just went to Big Muddy on thursday! The visit was the best you could ever ask for for a prison. I got there at like 10:30, he came out at 11:00. We sat there and visisted till almost 7:00. THe visiting room is very relaxed and laid back. There is only one guard in there who sits at a desk and doesnt pay attention really. The room is filled with tables that have 4 stools to a table. We got to sit right next to eachother , with our legs touching and holding hands the hole time. He even was kissing the top of my hand and they didnt care or maybe notice. The have a picture guy who will take your pictures. They are 2.00 a picture. Even the imate gets to take one back to his cell... so that is nice. Yes the have vending machines with sandwiches, popcorn, chicken ETC. I put 20.00 on my card and used it all. The visiting room was very clean and bright, with a whole wall of windows so u can see outside. ummmmm do u have any questions?

Old 06-05-2004, 08:07 AM

OH yeah as far as thier movement and schedules.... they can be out of thier cell all day except from 3-6pm. Breakfast is at 5 am lunch at like 11 and dinner around 4-5.

Old 06-05-2004, 09:40 AM

I am sooo happy, it sounds great compared to what it could be like. I can't wait to go!!! I only live an hour away so I hope to go often. how many visits do they get? Do they have phase there? How does that effect things? I haven't seen him in so long(9 months) This is a major set back, but at least I'll get to see him.
Old 06-05-2004, 01:42 PM

YOU are so lucky u only live an hour away!! They get 5 visits a month. Whenever you want... mon- sun.....10:00- 7:30. no there isnt any phase. Just call before so u no his visiting list was approved. You have to bring your DL or state Id and soc sec card. If u havent seen him in 9 months you are going to LOVE this visit! They even have cards or games you can play if you did get bored. But we didnt get that bored. It went by fast.

Old 06-07-2004, 06:59 AM

I had a few more questions. What is the average time it usually takes till their visiting list is approved? It was confirmed that he was moved from Duquoin to Big Muddy last Wed. the 2nd. Any chance at all you think it could be done by this Fri. the 11th? It would work out so perfect for me to go that day, with me and my kids scedual. Also sometime I might have to take my 2year old. What are the regulations on taking children? Is there anything for them to do there, a childrens area or can you take in something for them? I guess I can find that out when I go. I don't plan on taking him for awhile. Maybe not at all, if it will be too difficult.
Old 06-07-2004, 07:14 AM

the visiting list didnt take long to be approved at all. I would say there is a good possibilty it will be approved by the 11th. Also you can take kids and they do have a little play area in the room with stuff for them to play with and keep them busy. One lady had like 3 kids and they were running around everywhere LOL. You can bring diapers and a bottle for them also. They also have a locker to put your belongings in and u get a key. I would call to see if you need to bring any kind of documents for them to visit. The phone number is on the IDOC web site. When you call dont worry about asking questions b/c they are usually very nice on the phone!

Old 06-07-2004, 07:22 AM

Thank you soooo much!! It sounds better than I had hoped for. I know my friend would just love to see my son again. It will make him so happy. I am glad to hear the're nice if you call. I have a thing about being neverous to call. some places. I sure hope by some miracle the list will be in by friday! I am so excited about seeing him again I feel like I could cry.
Old 06-07-2004, 08:23 AM

YOUR welcome! Im glad i could help. I no exactly how your feeling right now! I cried just from pulling into the parking lot of the prison because it felt so good to no that we were actually close again.... in the same town. Im near the Illinois/ wisconsin border... and you no how far Big muddy is from there! Trust me... going there will be a piece of cake. Have fun when u go and let me know how it went!

Old 06-13-2004, 07:54 AM

Well, here is an update. I called on Thursday evening and they told me his list was in. They wouldn't tell me if I was on the list. I took a chance at going down there. I am usually the first person he calls and writes. I thought well, if his list is in I must be on it. I got there only to find out I wasn't on his list!!! At least I didn't have to drive too far. It was worth it to me just to see if I was. I will probably even go again this Friday to check if I am on there yet. I haven't heard from him at all yet, and it is driving me crazy!!!!! I wrote him and asked him why I wasn't on his list. Also, I am confused about something. I got an email from vine telling me he is scedualed for release on June 26 from Big Muddy!!! I don't know how that can be correct. That was his last out date he had from DuQuoin. But, the councler there told his family that he was no longer in the program and was moved to Big Muddy to serve out the remainder of his sentence. Which we all assumed was the three years minus time he has already served, minus good time. I sure don't want to get my hopes up. I just wonder how acurate the vine service is??? I sure wish I would here from him!!!!!!!!
Old 06-13-2004, 06:20 PM
Account Closed

Vine has been accurate on what I have listed with them so far. I dont know why they wouldent tell you if you were on his list..did they mean the list was in, waiting to be approved or it was approved? Ive only ever had to deal with Menard, but when I called, they told me.
Sometimes if you dont make the question specific, they give out a generic answer.

Good luck tho! I hope you hear from him soon!
Old 06-14-2004, 06:27 AM

When I called, they told me they could only tell me if he had an approved list. But he would have to tell me if I was approved, because it is confidential information. His list he put in when he got there on the 2nd was approved on the 9th. He had three people on his list from what I could see over the counter. But I wasn't one of them. I just can't understand why He didn't put me on there. It could be that he didn't have all the info he needed to do it. Some guys are so bad with dates and numbers. Even though I have told him what I thought he might need to know a few months ago before I knew family only can visit youth centers and boot camps. I might try to call again in a few days if I don't hear from him. Maybe different people will tell you different information. The guy that was there on Friday was very nice and seemed to feel bad for me, like he wished he could let me visit. If I talk to him next time maybe he'll remember me. It's worth a try. I might just take a nice little drive again soon just to check if I get too impatient.
Old 06-14-2004, 08:01 AM

RJnale.... i sent u a pm. Something I didnt couldnt put on here openly. You never no who is lookin here. LOL But what she said is true... they wont tell you at BIg Muddy if your name is on a list!! Which is a big risk when driving far...

Old 06-17-2004, 07:02 AM

Hey, is anyone getting mail from Big Muddy? I haven't got a letter in almost two weeks and that is not like him to not write in that long. Just wondering.
Old 06-17-2004, 07:08 AM

i recieved two letters on MOnday.... two b/c there was no mail on last friday with the federal holiday... so they must be sending mail. sorry you havent got any.

Old 06-17-2004, 11:42 AM

I got a letter on Monday and one yesterday.
Old 06-17-2004, 09:39 PM
My Heart Belongs to Him

I just got a letter yesterday from Jacob and he had dated it for sunday the 13th. I hope you get a letter soon! Lord know I look forward to checking the mail everyday. Jacob is pretty good with writing a lot...he knows better not to
I went to see him today!!!!! Appearantly he was put in Seg monday and with me not knowing I went there yesterday and was turned down becuase I arrived after 1. So I drove there again this morning because I HAD to see him. I hated the fact that we had to talk through the glass, But it was worth it in the end. Also I have a question and was wondering if anyone could help me.....
Old 06-18-2004, 10:46 AM

Thank you all. Yes I did get a letter yesterday. They just don't seem to realize sometimes that their mail is just as important to us as our letters are to them. Thanks again.
Old 06-18-2004, 11:57 AM

What is your question?

Old 06-18-2004, 12:25 PM
My Heart Belongs to Him

I'm beginning to be a pain about all of this but I just want to get some good news...JAcob mentioned something about there being some kinda bill/law about only serving 35% of their sentence. I hadn't heard anything but he asked me to look into it...I have recieved some very helpful websites from others on here but nothing that seems to be a guarentee...Have you heard anything about this???
Old 06-18-2004, 03:08 PM

I FINALLY got a letter on Monday the 13th. But he is never very informative. He didn't mention anything about visits, comming home or what it's like there and how he is doing. But, it was a very sweet letter asking how everyone is, how much he misses everyone and how glad he is that he has me to count on and be his friend. So, I am not complaining much. I was sooooo glad just to hear from him!! I just hate not knowing details. I wrote him asking him to answer some specific questions that I was wondering about. So, we'll see how that goes. I called there on Thursday(yesterday) and was told there was no new changes to his approved visiting list since the 9th. I sure hope I am on there soon. I am getting really impatient!!! I also hope we writes again soon and often!! Oh, how we all love those letters!
Old 06-18-2004, 05:13 PM

Sometimes I feel like I get these form letters. Like they all have this form letter they pass aorund to one another and fill in the specific information for each individual need. I don't get them all the time but when he knows I am getting mad at him for not writing enough he does it. I hate that, so now I tell him great try, but I want a real letter now so hop to it buddy.
Old 06-18-2004, 07:55 PM

good for you girl i feel the same sometimes
Old 06-18-2004, 10:54 PM
My Heart Belongs to Him

I hate one page letters!!!! So I realize that not much goes on in there but Throw me a freaking bone!!! He always promises to write more the next time and he does but still! I live for those letters and the occasional visits we have together. I don't know about the rest of you but I'm fine with him telling me over and over again that he loves me....That should make each letter about 3 pages alone