Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > PENNSYLVANIA > Pennsylvania Parole, Probation & Release
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Pennsylvania Parole, Probation & Release All information relating to parole, probation or release in Pennsylvania should be posted here.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:21 AM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 1,668 Times in 964 Posts
Default Sex offenders paroled to halfway houses

I want to use this thread to keep everyone updated on an evolving issue.

Two years ago, no halfway house would accept a paroled sex offender. Our best estimate was that about 1,000 men were paroled but still sitting in prison. Trhough major efforts in HBG, the policy was changed and men began to slowly leave.

At first, they were all sent to Progress CCC, a secure facility on the grounds of SCI Greene. (By "secure," I mean it has a fence around it and no one leaves for any reason except to go back to prison or be released.)

We argued that there was no benefit. Residents told us they just sat around all day. Slowly, other centers were opened for sex offenders. menw ere being placed closer to home and being allowed to look for jobs in the community. The catch was that the parolee had to have an approved home plan before getting a bed date.

We argued again! We feel that the centers should be for those with no home plan, allowing them to find a home when they have no one out here to do it for them. The DOC reluctantly yielded for those within 6 months of their max dates.

We upped the volume. Back in November, the first inmate with no home plan and years from his max date arrived at Philadelphia CCC#2. He is still there and now has a job. When he violated a minor rule, he went to the PVCC at Liberty instead of back to prison. The prejudice seems to be leaving the system.

To say this has been a battle would be an understatement. Each gain was achieved because we lobbied on behalf of a specific individual. (There are people in HBG who must dread seeing my number on their CID.) We went so far as to draft a comprehensive report and make a solid proposal for a special center, and then suggested we'd release the report to the legislature in a news conference at budget time ... So now the system works for sex offenders.

As of this week, there are 111 men housed in 20 centers statewide. most are clustered in one or two centers per region, with a few spread out elsewhere -- possibly for special programs.

Region 1 (East):
Philadelphia CCC#2: 15
Philadelphia CCC#4: 8
Liberty Management (North): 3
Gaudenzia First, Kintock & Liberty (Phoenix): 1 each.

Region 2 (Central):
Harrisburg CCC: 14
Hazleton Treatment Center: 2
Keystone Corrections Services: 1.

Region 3 (West):
Progress CCC: 43
Sharon CCC: 6
Renewal #1: 6
Erie CCC: 4
Johnstown CCC & Pittsburgh CCC: 2 each
Riverside CCC and Alle-Kiski: 1 each.

(I update this about every 8 weeks)

Some things to keep in mind:
1. The parolee does not need an approved home plan and does not have to be within 6 months of maxing out. (DOC counselors and parole agents don't always know this.)
2. The parolee should be able to show that he has made good effort to get an approved home plan and been denied at least once; being denied more than once may take longer but makes the case stronger.
3. If the parolee is sent to a center and can't get a home plan approved after 90 to 120 days, they will send him to a homeless shelter.
4. He can agree to accept a bed anywhere in the state, which means he's likely to go to Progress CCC.

Please post any personal experiences or observations here. Your input is valuable in our efforts to continually improve the process.
Blossom88 (10-11-2014), Daniegirl28 (12-07-2013), sucker4mylove (11-04-2013)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2013, 07:54 PM
Account Closed

Thank you for posting this. Maybe it will be of some help to my brother. He has just been granted parole at Albion but was told he cannot get out without a homeplan. He is really having trouble getting one. It doesn't seem right that they would keep him locked up when he could go to a halfway house and easily find a place from there. He has plenty of money when he gets out and owns his own business. I just happened to come here to see if I could find out any info on parole and saw this first. Haven't been on this site in awhile. I'm going to keep reading other posts and see what else I can find out.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:16 PM
Account Closed

Default Do you still need a homeplan if you go to a halfway house?

Hi. my brother has really been having a hard time getting someone to give him a homeplan. He finally got a friend of his to say he would do it but the friend claims someone called him saying they were from the Parole Board and they kept saying, "you know what he's in for, right? You know your address will go on Megan's List, right?" The thing is, this friend has no intentions of letting him come there...my brother was already told he HAS to go to a half-way house, but he still need a homeplan whether he's going there or not. The friend was merely providing a homeplan so he could get out. Now he is spooked by what they said and he doesn't want to do it now.
I am just so confused with all of this. I don't understand why he needs a homeplan when he knows he's going to a halfway house. I can't give him one because i'm in FL. he's scared he's not going to get out all because of this homeplan thing. Does anyone know anything about any of this??
Old 04-06-2013, 03:42 PM
Account Closed

I'm sorry for posting this question... I should have read more of the posts before I did. I didn't realize there were so many pages of posts! Anyway, I have been finding a lot of info on homeplans and half-way houses, so thank you all! Also, I wish you all the best with your loved ones.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:05 PM

PTO Moderator 

Cases such as this usually require some persistence from family or a friend. A lot of DOC personnel simply don't know they can send these men to centers even though there is no home plan on file. Start with the inmate counselor. Work from the principle that the best reason to put someone in a center is to allow them to FIND a home plan. If the counselor is adamantly against this, call back and speak with the Superintendent's office.
marylin (04-10-2013), tvboc (09-22-2013)
Old 09-22-2013, 09:54 PM
...slow fade to black...

I'm now beginning to look for a place for my buddy. I've already posted on the S.O. Portion of the forum, but my buddy got paroled on 9/18/2013. His first home plan got denied so now we are looking for other options. If we can just get him out of there, I think it'll be easier just to get a more permanent housing. He hasn't told me of any help that is counselor has provided.

I'm kind of flying blind here...

The Following User Says Thank You to tvboc For This Useful Post:
delilah19 (06-24-2014)
Old 09-25-2013, 08:59 AM
...slow fade to black...

I was just informed, that to be qualified to get to a CCC, he must be at least 2 years from his max. My friend is far from there. Just an updated that I received from my friend who was told that by parole.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:25 AM

PTO Moderator 

The current DOC policy is that a sex offender must either have an approved home plan or be within 24 months of his max date. We're fighting this big time. Men are sitting in prison for years because their sentences have "long tails." Our Policy Subcommittee just drafted a white paper which brands this practice as "Imprisonment for Homelessness."

On the other hand, the numbers in the halfway houses continue to slowly climb. DOC policy now requires every center to allot at least 5% of its beds to sex offenders.

As of September 10th, 219 total:

Region I -- (53 total)
CCC#2 = 10; CCC#4 = 4; Coleman Hall (secure) = 7; DRC = 2; Gaudenzia = 1; Hannah House (F) = 1; Liberty North = 3; Liberty Phoenix = 14; Luzerne = 1; Lycoming House = 2; Minsec Broad St = 3; Minsec Chester = 1; Minsec Oxford = 2.

Region II -- (51 total)
Allentown CCC = 9; Harrisburg CCC = 24; Scranton CCC = 2; York CCC = 5; ADAPPT = 1; Atkins House (F) = 1; Capitol Pavillion = 2; Catholic Social Svcs = 1; Siena house = 4; Keystone = 1.

Region III -- (115 total)
Erie CCC = 8; Johnstown CCC = 11; Pittsburgh #3 (F) = 2; Progress CCC (secure) = 60; Riverside CCC = 1; Sharon CCC = 6; Alle-Kinski = 4; Gateway Erie = 1; Renewal #1 (state & federal) = 22.
marylin (10-23-2013), sucker4mylove (11-04-2013)
Old 10-17-2013, 11:25 AM
Account Closed

Well, here we are 3 months since my brother was granted parole, and even though he has had a homeplan all this time, he still sits in jail at Albion. I am beyond disgusted and he is beyond frustrated and is becoming very depressed. Whenever he asked his parole advisor what was going on she told him to be patient, it takes time. Well, he finally asked someone else to look into things and found out his parole advisor had received a letter from the halfway house where he was supposedly waiting for a bed, and they said they were refusing him a bed because he didn't have a homeplan. She never even bothered to fix it and tell them yes he did and she lied to my brother that she didn't know why it was taking so long.
Well, my brother then contacted any and every kind of advocate organization he could find to try to get help, and now they are rushing to get him out of there by Nov.5th to, of all places, Waynesburg which is the worst possible place he can go! I have heard horror stories about the place and he is only a level 1 and shouldn't have to be locked up with no chance to go look for a job or anything when he has already served his time and gotten parole...this is another 3 months of incarceration! This is an outrage. I am so upset. :'(
Old 10-20-2013, 07:12 AM

PTO Moderator 

So, he's being sent to Progress CCC, which is a secure facility on the grounds of SCI Greene in Waynesburg. As you can see, about 30% of all paroled former sex offenders are sent there. In all likelihood, this is where the first bed date popped up.

The good news is that the men sent there are pretty much in-and-out within 90 days.
marylin (10-23-2013)
Old 10-23-2013, 08:03 AM
Account Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobble60 View Post
So, he's being sent to Progress CCC, which is a secure facility on the grounds of SCI Greene in Waynesburg. As you can see, about 30% of all paroled former sex offenders are sent there. In all likelihood, this is where the first bed date popped up.

The good news is that the men sent there are pretty much in-and-out within 90 days.
Thank you Bobble, I appreciate your reply, but according to my brother he had been accepted at different halfway house closer to Philly. He found out that they had contacted his parole officer 3 months ago, saying they weren't going to take him because he didn't have a homeplan (which he did/still does!) They withheld this info from him all this time, telling him to be patient. When he found out from a different counselor that this had happened, he contacted a lawyer. All of a sudden they got him a bed at Progress CCC.

But, if you say this is where most sex offenders go, I believe you...just don't understand why all the other stuff happened. Thank you.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:07 AM
Account Closed

Just so tired of all this... ...I'll be so glad when he gets out and can handle his own life. I guess that sounds selfish but I'm so tired..
Old 10-27-2013, 08:03 AM

PTO Moderator 

I'm sure the DOC will say it was a paperwork mix-up that led to the rejection of the first CCC placement and then progress was the next available slot ... Do I believe that? Well, sometimes "the system" can be just as disreputable as those it seeks to "correct." I have no doubt that contacting a lawyer leads to spitefulness if not outright retaliation.

All I can say is that we're slowly getting former sex offenders released ...
marylin (10-31-2013)
Old 10-31-2013, 11:39 AM
Account Closed

They finally owned up to it, not that it matters. He'll be going to Waynesburg next week...he figured it would be better than staying and waiting for a bed somewhere else because he is well aware of possible retaliation. Thank you so much for your support..
Old 11-17-2013, 08:34 AM

PTO Moderator 

There is some news this week:

The DOC will consider parolees who don't have home plans. The "home-plan-first-for-sex-offenders" rule is not etched in stone anymore. They can be sent to halfway houses without home plans if they can show a strong likelihood that they will be able to get a home plan approved quickly once there. We're working on a guide for inmates that will help them develop the necessary support resources and then present them to the DOC in lieu of a home plan.

If you know of a paroled former sex offender who has been denied a halfway house bed because he or she doesn't have an approved home plan, let me know.
JustWantJustice (01-27-2014), marylin (11-22-2013), sucker4mylove (11-22-2013)
Old 11-22-2013, 06:18 AM
Account Closed

Default It's finally over!

Well, it's finally over. My brother was released from Progress CCC in Waynesburg yesterday, after only being there for two weeks. I have no idea if it was because of the huge screw up in prison or what, but he was suddenly called to his counselor's office yesterday and told he was being released! He was shocked, the counselor was shocked, and everyone was shocked. They said how did that happen? Things like this just don't happen here!
He still has to fulfill his homeplan obligation, of course, but he's almost home free!

I want to thank everyone here for your support through the last 5 years, and especially to Bobble who not only works so hard to try to help prisoners, but who gives us all so much encouragement and support. I don't know what I would have done these past 5 years without you all and this site!

I wish you all the very best. God bless.
Love and hugs,
Marylin
Old 11-24-2013, 07:52 AM

PTO Moderator 

Please remain with PTO. While you've just completed the hardest part of the journey, re-entry is not done yet and we can all benefit from the road you still must travel.

I'm happy that you've come this far and I wish you all the best as you journey forward. I just hope you'll stay with us, too.

Bob
Old 01-27-2014, 08:26 AM

Default Thank you!

Marilyn - This is my very first post on this forum and I was SO glad to see all your posts, along with Bobble's! I have many questions, but first, I'll let you know that my husband is being released to Progress in Waynesburg on the 18th of Feb. Can you tell me how your brother found it? Was it as scary as it seems? I heard they're there a minimum 60 days, so it sounds like your brother was lucky!!

We're just so confused at this point and need some guidance. I'm relieved to see that there is someone out there who fights for these particular inmates. We really need some justice. I understand the public is worried about SOs being in their regions/communities. I don't blame them. But not all SOs have the same charges against them.

Please update us how your brother is doing now that he's been released and where he found some relief!!
Old 01-27-2014, 08:30 AM

Default home plan

My husband finally got an approved home plan in Pittsburgh. We live in Virginia and were told it would be harder to get him here directly. Can you tell me if this is true? And now he's being sent to Progress CCC on Feb. 18th. If there's anything you can tell me about this process, I'd be grateful. They told me Friday there's a minimum 60-day stay there at Progress. The home plan they came up with in Pittsburgh is not very promising. Sounds awful and scary. I'm hoping they can work on a better place to live while he's at Progress. It took forever to get a bed date and we were told it was because he needed an approved home plan. Wish I had found your posts months ago! His minimum date was 12-23 and he just got his bed date last week.

Thanks for fighting for these inmates. That means the world to me.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:50 AM

Thanks for posting. Idk if this is going to apply to my bf since he's in on a PV, not sure if he'll be eligible for reparole or not, but he's been worried about having somewhere to go when he gets out. He can't stay with me because I'm in Jersey and he's a Pa resident and his charges are in Pa as well.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:43 AM

PTO Moderator 

JWJ --

The Progress CCC is a secure facility. By that, it means it's inside the fence at SCI Greene. Residents can not leave the facility for any reason -- no jobs, no finding homes, etc. Frankly, it's an upholstered prison.

While he's there, he may or may not be required to complete some programs. Since he has an approved home plan, he should transition in sixty days. Once he's established himself with his agent in Pittsburgh, he can begin to explore the process of re-locating to VA with you.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:18 PM

Default bed date

Quote:
There is some news this week:

The DOC will consider parolees who don't have home plans. The "home-plan-first-for-sex-offenders" rule is not etched in stone anymore. They can be sent to halfway houses without home plans if they can show a strong likelihood that they will be able to get a home plan approved quickly once there. We're working on a guide for inmates that will help them develop the necessary support resources and then present them to the DOC in lieu of a home plan.

If you know of a paroled former sex offender who has been denied a halfway house bed because he or she doesn't have an approved home plan, let me know.
My husband had a bed date at Waynesburg, but just last night got word that his home plan did not go through as planned (he had one approved at first, and it fell through because we couldn't pay the rent every month until he got there, so they allowed us to try again with a different home plan after we received a bed date of 2-18) and so now they revoked his bed date! The parole agent at Houtzdale doesn't know of a way to get around having a home plan to be released to Waynesburg. How do I go about getting this resolved? I have a rabbi in Pittsburgh who is helping us find home plans and a job, etc. when he's ever released. His minimum date was 12-23 and now we're told we have to wait again and start all over for another bed date at Waynesburg. Any suggestions?
Old 02-09-2014, 06:48 AM

PTO Moderator 

I sent you an answer via PM but will comment here for the benefit of others.

Our project to get the policy "relaxed" is moving slowly. We would like to think there will be a way to get some men moved who don't have approved home plans by the end of 2014. (I don't want anyone holding their breath!)

As this project moves forward, I will post progress here. Until then, the only advice is to keep submitting home plans.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:05 PM
Account Closed

Quote:
Please remain with PTO. While you've just completed the hardest part of the journey, re-entry is not done yet and we can all benefit from the road you still must travel.

I'm happy that you've come this far and I wish you all the best as you journey forward. I just hope you'll stay with us, too.

Bob
I'm so sorry it has been so long since I posted an update, but things haven't really been going that well.

I don't know who came out of prison, but it's not my brother. He has turned his back on me now that he doesn't need me any more, and he has done every back-handed thing he can possibly do. The first thing he did when he got out was to withdraw his inheritance (our mom died while he was in jail) from the bank account I set up for him and hide it in the form of cashier checks (about $15,000), and apply for welfare. He is getting the maximum amount of food stamps allowed right now. He started his carpet cleaning business back up so he is earning money but it's under the table and he is claiming poverty.
He is going to church (God only knows why) and he is around children all the time, but no one at the church knows he's a sex offender. When he told his support group that he was doing that, they told him no, you can't do that and he said, well I'm trying to show you how well I handle being around children...I ignore them. I don't know what ever came of all that because he stopped speaking to me shortly after telling me that.
Another thing he did when he first got out was join Facebook. He's using the name of his business (but it's a regular profile where he can have friends and interact with people.) I don't trust him any more and the way he has acted since he got out, I believe he really is a sex offender in every sense of the word and I think I was in denial before. It bothers me immensly that he is on Facebook. he said it was for his business but I don't believe him.

There's so much more, but I am so hurt and upset and feel like such a fool, I don't want to talk about it any more. 5 years I stood by him. I am such a fool.

I pray no one else on here goes through this. I should have known better. I come from a sick family. My father was a pedophile too.

God bless you all and I truly wish you the best. <3
Old 04-05-2014, 02:09 AM

Oh - man Marilyn - you have been dealt a HUGE sh$t sandwich with your brother - I am so sorry for you!

if it helps, I am very active in my church and ANY interaction with kids (we have specific services for the kids with volunteers leading the services) require the same background checks that I would need to volunteer at my kids school.

My "issue" was a dui..and I keep waiting for it to show up when my kids school pulls their annual report on me (I volunteer often at school) and my pastor already knows about the incident - so for me, it won't be a problem.

And guess what? almost 2 years after I was convicted for DUI, my insurance company still hasn't figured it out.

The reporting process is SLOW (thank goodness for my insurance premiums)

your brother is a Hot Mess.

if he is working with children in a church that doesn't require background checks and he is a sex offender, then you have a moral obligation to let the leadership of that church know. But if he is simply attending church in the same building as children...unless there is an order that he can't be ANYWHERE near children EVER, there isn't much you can do (but PLEASE - if he is helping with the Children's Ministry - TELL THEM. Other people's children don't get to be his "test run to see if he is good". He can attend AA meetings at the church; he can be a member of 15 Group Life groups at that church. But if he is a convicted pedophile, he should NOT be volunteering in ANY capacity with the children!)

About the Facebook and his carpet business - he has the right to set up a FB page for his business, no matter what his history. PLEASE do not do anything on his FB page to indicate his crimes - because you could be held liable for damages to his "good name" (ironic, isn't it?)

Good luck - if he were my brother, he would never see my face again. I can forgive SO many things - sex offenders (barring a 19 year old having sex with his 17 year old girlfriend, etc) are dead.to.me.

Last edited by DUINewbie; 04-05-2014 at 02:29 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to DUINewbie For This Useful Post:
marylin (04-05-2014)